Handicap surcharge??? Please help

mina

One of the people we cruise with is handicapped and must use a scooter to get around. He was told by his travel agent that he had to pay $100 extra to get a handicapped cabin in the same category. How can that be -- I have never heard of that and it sounds against the ADA rules. Could it possibly be he has to pay $100 extra to bring his scooter on board -- but how can they do that if it is medically necesary? We never experienced such charges on Princess. Other handicapped cruisers - have you heard of this???

Maybe he needs a cabin in a higher category because all of the handicapped cabins in his category are taken? I'm just guessing here, but I will say that I have never heard of anyone being charged a surcharge for bringing a scooter onboard. I'd run this by another travel agent if I were you. The one you're using might be trying to pull a fast one.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We've cruised on HAL for years and require a handicap accessible cabin.

Used a scooter and more recently a power wheelchair. There is never

an additional cost. As the previous poster indicated, the cost must be related

to the category that has a handicap accessible cabin available.

Unfortunately, there are very few of those cabins and they usually are

booked early.

Please double check with your TA regarding the extra cost.

Thank you for the input -- I think he is being "snowed" -- the TA told him it was for the same category but the extra $100 was because he was getting a bigger room and a shower with handle bars. That is so wrong! I have asked him to call her back and get clarification and ask her to line item out the charges to insure it was not for a higher category of cabin -- once he has that info -- we will call HAL regarding the issue.

Hi there,

I originally booked a regular cabin, but then decided I would be better off with a disabled cabin because my elderly mother is disabled.

My TA said a handicapped cabin in the same category was $106 more, so I called HAL and they changed us to the handicapped cabin free of charge!

Worth a telephone call. Good Luck regards Me

Thank you for the input -- I think he is being "snowed" -- the TA told him it was for the same category but the extra $100 was because he was getting a bigger room and a shower with handle bars. That is so wrong! I have asked him to call her back and get clarification and ask her to line item out the charges to insure it was not for a higher category of cabin -- once he has that info -- we will call HAL regarding the issue.

I think it's time for him to dump his TA...there should be NO difference in price!

E-mail me the name of his TA.

I cannot imagine HAL or any cruise line charging more for a handicapped cabin in the same catagory. No one wants to mess with the ADA. The people in need have enough going on without some TA trying to take advantage of the situation.

Interesting... I did some research last week for my in-laws. Hubbie is disabled so I posted a request on cruise compete website where TAs bid for your business. I asked for a verandah and also for handicapped verandah. They all came back with same categories... for both verandah and handicapped except the handicapped cabin was $100 more in each of their quotes..... consistent across the board.... so I think there is more to this then just TAs ..... I suspect the handicapped versions of the same category cabins are bigger or specially fitted for access, so HAL charges more....

We always cruise HAL, always have an HC room to accommodate my husband's power wheelchair.

We have never been charged anything extra for the cabin. It has always been the same price as the other cabins of the same category.

HAL does not charge pax more just because there are grab bars in the bathroom.

Yes, the cabins are a little bigger -- more floor space. That is because there has to be reoom to maneuver a wheelchair or scooter.

The bathroom is larger too, for the same reason, although sometimes it lacks a tub -- or in an SS on a Vista ship, it does not have double sinks.

Interesting... I did some research last week for my in-laws. Hubbie is disabled so I posted a request on cruise compete website where TAs bid for your business. I asked for a verandah and also for handicapped verandah. They all came back with same categories... for both verandah and handicapped except the handicapped cabin was $100 more in each of their quotes..... consistent across the board.... so I think there is more to this then just TAs ..... I suspect the handicapped versions of the same category cabins are bigger or specially fitted for access, so HAL charges more....

That is incredible.....any research and booking I have done,there was no difference btween a HC and a regular cabin in price. Are you sure they are the same category?

The fact a TA is wanting to exploit the disabled is completely pitiful. It's one thing if you "inflate" the commission far beyond its original boundaries, but another entirely if you are charging more for something in the exact same category.

Oceanwench (LOVE the name!! :) ) said it exactly right. Unless it was a case of a higher category or an expired promotion type thing, or needing to substitute a different date with the same itinerary, there is NEVER a charge for a different room within the same category.

If the same category of stateroom is midship on a lower deck or ALL the way forward on a higher deck... SAME PRICE (at least with HAL).

What the TA is trying to do is completely deplorable. I really hope you enjoy your cruise Mina, and that you found a TA that is reputable and honest! (Or you can also book directly with HAL next time and know you're getting it straight from the horse's mouth)

That is incredible.....any research and booking I have done,there was no difference btween a HC and a regular cabin in price. Are you sure they are the same category?

I went back and checked the cruise compete quotes. I asked for Verandah and for Jr Suite. I was specifically asking for VD4132 on the Noordam. All the TAs (4) that responded offered up a handicapped VD category at $100/PP additional cost. There were 3 other TAs that responded that either said handicapped was not available or to call them. My in-laws eventually went with a regular Jr Suite which will be fine for their needs.

We just paid $499 for a 10 day cruise on the Sun Princess. We were on the waitlist for a cabin on Aloha deck (Next to top deck). We got a handicapped cabin when we were moved there. We don't ask for handicapped cabins but were told once after the 'get all your $$ back' time is up, if they become available, they give them to any passenger.

I went back and checked the cruise compete quotes. I asked for Verandah and for Jr Suite. I was specifically asking for VD4132 on the Noordam. All the TAs (4) that responded offered up a handicapped VD category at $100/PP additional cost. There were 3 other TAs that responded that either said handicapped was not available or to call them. My in-laws eventually went with a regular Jr Suite which will be fine for their needs.

I think I will do my own Cruise Compete test. Any TA that charges more for a HC cabin will then be put on my do not use list!

At any rate, the online TA I use now does not charge extra and they have low prices too. So I will stick with them.

Ok.....here are the results of my ***** test.

I requested one handicap and one non-handicap cabin.

All except two ,of five total, forgot to take note of my wanting a handicap

No mention of separate pricing in any of them.

Here are the comments from two agencies:

"$1,544.00 CAT-VD BALCONY

DISABLED ACCESSIBLE CABINS 4051 AND 4131 ARE AVAILABLE"

(no mention of price difference)

"$3,375.64 spacer.gifSpecial offer:The above is 2 Category VB cabins close together on the Upper Verandah, one accessible"

(no mention of price difference)

We have reservations in a handicapped room for an upcoming 1/27 cruise on the Oosterdam and we paid exactly the same as we would have for a non-handicapped room in the same category.

We booked our cabin through a a leading online travel company that we have used many times, and have never been asked to pay more.

So that is our experience. Hope this helps.

Tony

Ok...I actually went to the TA site that mina used. When I used their online booking engine, there were handicap cabins listed. When I got to the actual price, there was no difference between handicap and regular prices.

There must be a misunderstanding somewhere....

Nothing wrong with the TA that I can see, unless some rookie there doesn't know what he is talking about?

Sometimes online TAs charge more to speak with them directly...perhaps thats what happened?

Tin -- it was not me who gave you the name of the agency -- it was the british gentleman that posted about the same experience who responded to you regarding the name of the agency. Unfortunately our TA passed away this month:( So I booked direct and he booked through someone new out of Michigan -- I don't even know her name -- some relative of a friend -- overall the rate was not bad that he got -- but the extra charge for the handicap cabin really ticked me off -- and since it was a last minute booking it was fully paid for at the time of booking. Man, I miss my TA:(

I have asked him to get me specifics on the charges -- then I will follow up with HAL and get clarification (hopefully) from them -- if this is their practice. If it is not, then I will take further action. Nothing ticks me off more than people being mistreated cause they have a handicap.

Tin -- I wonder if the $100 charge the british gentleman was quoted was to change his booking -- some online discount groups charge if you change anything on your booking. Man, I miss my TA:(

Archived