Things to Do in Labadee Haiti and Other Questions By First Timers

MiouMiou

Hello:

We are taking our very first cruise, from December 9-December 16, 2006 on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas. This was something we have always wanted to do, but never thought we could afford, yet found a really great last minute bargain (just booked the cruise this past Friday), so here we go. A few questions, though, and I apologize if they have been asked before.

Since we signed up so late, what are the chances of getting to sign up for any of the shore excursions? When I try to sign up on line, because it is less than 10 days before the cruise apparently we have to sign up on board.

We were pretty surprised to find out how expensive some of the shore excursions are. For example, in Labadee, Haiti, it says that it is $60 per person for the beach. Is that just go get off the boat and sit on the beach for three hours or are you paying for a bbq, entertainment, raft, whatever? I guess I am asking if you have to pay to just sit on the beach? Can you just get off the boat to shop in the two buildings? Everything else seems to be centered around water sports at this stop, is there anything else to do there?

The RC website seems quite strict about a dress code - yet now I am more confused than ever? Can you ever wear jeans? I understand of course not to dinner but just around the ship? What about for shore excursions?

We are staying in a little inside cabin (budget, budget). Are basic toiletries supplied or should be bring our own?

I think those are my main questions for now, and I thank you for answering.

Counting down until December 9.

Labadee is RCCL's private island. The $60 is for a private beach break where only a few people get to do it. If you don't want to pay for it (and you don't have to), there are plenty of beaches at Labadee where you can just lay out and swim without paying for anything. RCCL will provide a bbq lunch for you. Labadee is really a beach and water sports day, a great day for relaxing. There is a native market there where you will need cash for shopping but everything else is run by RCCL.

The dress codes are for the dining rooms only. It is pretty much anything goes throughout the rest of the ship. Jeans are fine throughout the ship except occasionally in the main dining room at dinner or the specialty restaurants. In the Windjammer buffet you just have to be wearing clothes of some sort (not your swimsuit). In the main dining room at breakfast and lunch, you can wear shorts and a top (men have been turned away for wearing tank tops so any males in your group will want to be wearing a t-shirt, women it's fine to wear tank tops). At dinner in the main dining room only, the dress code depends on the night, but you can wear your jeans on casual nights, no shorts or tank tops though. Formal nights the jeans would be frowned upon. In the specialty restaurants the dress code is smart casual which means nice slacks and a nice top for men, maybe a jacket or tie, and a nice outfit for ladies (not formal though).

You should bring your own toiletries. They provide soap and some kind of shampoo in a dispenser in the shower (but nobody knows what type) so it's best to bring your own toiletries.

Thank you so much for answering. I have one more question. The "other" beaches at Labadee that you can go to without paying, are they safe? Are they public beaches? Or is it best to stay at the RC beach? We don't want to have any confrontations or troubles on vacation.

All the beaches in that area are RCI's. You will be given a map of the area and you can go anywhere you want.

Just some advice for you. If you plan on eating at Chops/Portofino there is a $20.00 per person charge. Book this as soon as you board so that you can pick your day and time. Also book your shore ex as soon as you board too (some are booked up quickly Sting Ray City tours ex).

Thank you so much for answering. I have one more question. The "other" beaches at Labadee that you can go to without paying, are they safe? Are they public beaches? Or is it best to stay at the RC beach? We don't want to have any confrontations or troubles on vacation.

The entire area is controlled by RCCL. The only people allowed into the area are RCCL employees. So you don't have to worry about being hassled by people at any beach on Labadee.

We were pretty surprised to find out how expensive some of the shore excursions are. For example, in Labadee, Haiti, it says that it is $60 per person for the beach. Is that just go get off the boat and sit on the beach for three hours or are you paying for a bbq, entertainment, raft, whatever? I guess I am asking if you have to pay to just sit on the beach? Can you just get off the boat to shop in the two buildings? Everything else seems to be centered around water sports at this stop, is there anything else to do there?

The RC website seems quite strict about a dress code - yet now I am more confused than ever? Can you ever wear jeans? I understand of course not to dinner but just around the ship? What about for shore excursions?

Labadee ...

WITW.jpg

There is a small charge for the water toys ($15 for 50 minutes I believe) ...

L3+-+H2O+toys.jpg

The beach and chairs (and food) is free ...

L8+-+beach.jpg

Jeans (as you can see) are allowed in the dining room ...

CJdancing.jpg

The dining room is not as formal as some people would have you believe ...

Waitressdancingwithkid.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was looking up any info. for Labadee , as it is on the itinery for the Transatlantic I have just booked, when lo and behold ....up you popped. !! Small cc. board world . Are YOU in any off the photos.? I was rather surprised that Labadee popped up on our usual talking thread, put then again anything and everything pops up there !!:D

Labadee is on a penninsula (as you can see from the excellent aerial photo from a previous poster) and has controlled access in the entire area. There are several very nice sandy beaches with calm waters on the protected side (where the ship tenders). Beach chairs are free, but the young man who carried ours to where we wanted them clearly expected a tip and hung around until we got the hint (we can be a little dense). There are two shopping places....a building and a straw market. The vendors in the building had prices marked on items and were not pushy at all. The vendors in the straw market on the other hand were aggressive enough to make both my husband and myself quite uncomfortable and we left there immediately, but I have a pretty low threshhold of comfort with that type of thing. Labadee was a beautiful spot and we enjoyed it immensely there....it is a pretty large area. We liked checking out all the beach areas. Sailaway is also quite nice sailing along the Haitian coast.

I was looking up any info. for Labadee , as it is on the itinery for the Transatlantic I have just booked, when lo and behold ....up you popped. !! Small cc. board world . Are YOU in any off the photos.?

No, I'm the one behind the camera. Interesting though, you are the second person from the last to post thread I found this week [well, in this case I guess you found me :) ].

I found a baby picture of me, is that okay?

BabyPanda.jpg

Cuizer2, thanks for posting those wonderful pictures. I can't wait for our May cruise aboard the mariner.

Can anyone tell me if they offer massages on the beach in Labadee? I can't imagine a better way of relaxing on such a beautiful island.

• 2 weeks later...
Would anyone recommend a beach area that is less crowded & also good for snorkeling other than the private excursion? Also, how many ships are usually at Labadee at any one time?

Thanks!

Labadee is a private island. Only one ship at a time --

WHen you get off the ship-- walk all the way to the left-- the more you walk the less crowded it gets. Most people tend to stay at the first area they come to.

There

Labadee is a private island. Only one ship at a time --

WHen you get off the ship-- walk all the way to the left-- the more you walk the less crowded it gets.

However, if your feet start to get wet - stop! Back up. You have walked a little too far. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Labadee last year and it was great. If you can walk a lot on uneven surface, try to walk up and around to where there are old ruins from the island. We got some great shots of the ship and it is just amazing to look at. Try to pick your spot when you first get there, or you might not end up with a beah chair. Definitely go through the market, they are a little aggressive, but just bargin with them and they definitely will lower their prices. RC will provide a barbaque lunch, and when we were there, there were some local people who did a dance show that was very interesting. It was a great time and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are 2 shopping areas - one is like a store with set prices and the other is like a straw market. Beware the straw market! I have been to the straw market in Nassau 4 times and it is a cake walk compared to the one at Labadee! Some people love it, but we just couldn't hack it and got out of there quick after both our kids bought a souvenir.

When we were last there, my wife demanded we leave the shopping area ASAP...she had never seen such groveling in her life...it made it very hard to shop...

When we return in July, I would really like to see what they have to sell this time...

I don't think there is a poorer country in the world than Haiti...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived