Oceania loyalty and random cruise thoughts

jayl65

Only three more months until our cruise on Oceanias Regatta, Miami to Marseille, 3-23. I will be taking my parents on their first trip to Europe. Everything is paid and now I just have to wait. Thats the hard part. I must admit I was a loyal fan of Oceania even before I booked the line. I had only taken a cruise on Celebrity and had a nice experience. I just got back from a family cruise with 27 family members to celebrate my parents 55th wedding anniversary with NCL and it only assured me of my dedication to Oceania. We choose the port of Charleston,SC because it was nearby and most of the family could drive, making it less exspensive and convienent for everyone except us. We flew in from Albuquerque. The entire cruise I had to bite my lip and keep silent because in my mind I could'nt stop comparing it to Oceania. I've never even been on Oceania, but I confess I'm not as much a cruise critic as a cruise addict. I'm back now trying to adjust to work and life and I find myself online at cruise critic repeatedly checking out this board. Yearning to find out more information and counting the weeks until I leave. I laughed out loud once when I cought myself thinking of Oceania and wondered how it had happened. How did I become so loyal and I had never even sailed with them yet. I realised it was this site. As a small business owner in a service oriented business, I really focus on customer service and providing a superior experience. I read the post here from loyal fans and Jan and finally FDR and realise how much I identify with this company and its product. Im definately middle class and work hard for my money, but I am blessed and live a good life. When I travel I look for an experience that exceeds or at the least compares to my regular life at home. I live the the resort town of Santa Fe, NM and good food is easy to come by. So is excellent service and a general good quality of life. My last cruise forced me to step down from that. I was disapointed and often thought about how it would be on Oceania. I don't expect miracles, but a nicely prepared meal, comfortable bed, clean ship and a smiling face sure would make me feel better. The confidence and loyalty I feel for Oceania is somthing I wish other companies could develope and somthing I strive for with my customers. Its nice to just know that somthing will be as stated and not have to second guess. I have this expectation with my comming cruise and hope Oceanice does'nt let me down. I don't think it will though. I have to keep myself from booking more cruises with them until I get back from this one. Anyway, enough rambling! Wonderful cruising to everyone this holiday season.

Jamie

jamie - you are so correct about your bias for O. We did our first trip on the Regatta this Fall and it was wonderful. Couldn't say enough good things about it and our fellow passengers. We are now spoiled! Hope you enjoy it. By the way we have pretty good food here in Ruidoso too.

Its so hard not to be biased when you walk on Oceania see all the smiling faces and know they mean it and they care that you have a good time!!..as the cruise goes on you get to know the whole crew and love them..

Its amazing!

Jan

Since I'll be w/ you on the 3/23 crossing, I had to chime in. As I think I stated on our "roll call" thread, I couldn't wait to sail w/ O. again. By the time I got home from my May Regatta Med. cruise, I starting looking for another. I wanted something more relaxed so that I could really take the time to enjoy the ship. It's been quite a while since I sailed w/ the mass market lines (my first 3 cruises being w/ NCL back in the late 60's). I've slowly progressed to the upper mid market (Princess, Cunard & Holland America); & finally dipping my toes into the luxury market (Radisson/Regent & Crystal). I've become vey spoiled. Even though I can't classify O. is the same market as Regent & Crystal, IMO I like them all equally. Even though I try not to compare, I know well enough that I'll probably be disappointed if I "step back". I am so confident that O. will delight you; & I can't wait to see the look on your face when you finally experience it for yourself. ;)

Thanks Jule ,Jan and Becky for your lovely comments. Im sure I won't be dissapointed. Jule, if your like me you run back home and eat alot of red and green chili after being away. It's funny how you crave it after being away from NM. Jan, I thank you for reassuring me of the great service on Oceania. We actually had a Matre d on NCL run away from us without trying to resolve anything and left the server to sort it out. I felt so bad for him since he could do nothing with the kitchen. And Becky, I bet I will be just like you when I get back. Im already looking at other cruises and I'm trying to make myself wait until I return to book. Part of me says don't wait they will sell out and the other part says chill out man, youre getting crazy! I look forward to meeting you onboard and getting to know you.

Jamie

Jamie -

I can so relate to your musings as we live a very comfortable life in California's central valley so when we go on vacation, we want something very nice though I don't think we are Guests From Heck.

We are holed up tonight in the Intercontinental in Miami (flew over the mess in Denver and let that be a reminder to all who do their own air to fly early and fly south.) About to call it a night, hoping for the best cruise yet beginning tomorrow and ready to have a pretty good time regardless. I'm only sorry I've been so busy this fall I haven't had as much time to savor the preparations, just packed yesterday and so possibly have too much but not the right stuff either.

We are literally staying across the water from RCCL's headquarters -- it's a tough business but I do believe there's a sweet spot for O and this style of cruising to develop a long term fan base.

Enjoy your planning!

sacway

is the anticipation, the participation and the memories. We leave on our first "O" cruise in 3 weeks and the wonderful anticipation and reading and re-reading the brochure is a normal thing for cruise addicts. This is only about our 40th cruise on all sorts of lines, many long gone, unfortunately, but we still are looking forward to it like a couple of kids looking forward to Santa!!!

Jayl65 -

You will be on our cruise, well, almost. We are going to Germany for my 55th class reunion at 'Germany High' in early May. Unfortunately the Regatta is leaving way too early, so we opted for Norwegian Jewel in late April instead.

However, we will be on the Regatta again in November from Barcelona to Miami, to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

Wish you calm seas in March.

Liv4cruzin - My wife & I have done 8 Crystal sailings and , so far, one O sailing. Crystal has its good points ,but I believe O can stand head to head with them. We've decided not to sail on Crystal anymore because of the two, assigned seatings and formal nights. After 29 formal sailings, enough is enough!And there is nothing better than the single, open seating on O.

We have three O bookings scheduled for 2007 and 2008. Looking forward to each one.

One other item - having cruised on Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea, the cuisine on O is at least as good...arguably even better!

Ask4jay, I hope you have a nice time on your crossing with NCL. Leonid, It's nice to hear your compliments of Oceania. I had thought of trying Crystal or Raddison and it has not been feasible for me to do so yet. We're not big drinkers and only somtimes order wine with dinner, so included drinks are not worth it for me. Maybe latter on I will try one of them but right now I hope to be satisfied with Oceania. I look forward to great food and service and a nice sleeping bed. I wanted to throw the army cot overboard on my last cruise. Oceania might be my cruise line of choice after I finish my first sailing with them. That way I can alternate land and cruise vacations with Oceania being my cruise line of choice. I already know that the mass market lines are not my thing. Ask4jay, I'll be cruising the Danube in Germany,Austria in November on Peter Deilmann's Mozart. Never been to Germany, or on a river cruise so I can't wait for that either. Happy Holidays to all.

Jamie

We just completed our 2nd Oceania cruise on Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore, and it was a winner.

We have a 3rd booked (and are looking at a 4th).

We think Oceania certainly has many things we like about it; and think that it deserves its very good reputation.

We've done Crystal, and we thought it over-rated.

Princess continues to have perhaps the best combination of varied itineraries; but they have many ships to sail.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

"O" was rated very well in the areas that it specializes in, food, service etc but not so well as the other luxury lines as far as entertainment and excursions.

Every cruise line cannot be all things to all people.Overall "O" is rated very well.

"O" was rated very well in the areas that it specializes in, food, service etc but not so well as the other luxury lines as far as entertainment and excursions.

Every cruise line cannot be all things to all people.Overall "O" is rated very well.

I've been on two O cruises and agree with that review.

Leonid, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I loved Silver Seas, Crystal, Seabourn, Vistafjord, Sagafjord, Song of Flower, etc. etc., but Oceania really stands out. I have some other cruises booked with other lines simply because Oceania doesn't have those destinations yet, but we are definitely booked on the Sydney to Bangkok w/O. They are doing a great job. Food and service is superb!!!!!

Jamie- We just returned from an 11-day Princess cruise to Mexico from San Francisco and I totally relate to your post about loyalty to OC without having sailed on OC. We have been fortunate to have sailed on more than 40 cruises. I don't consider myself an expert, but certainly experienced. We have sailed most lines including Silver Sea on the high end and RCCL on the lower end. Like you, we have not sailed on OC before, yet we can hardly wait. We wanted to do something special and booked a full aft-facing suite on this past cruise. While the suite was lovely, our experieince with the Dawn was very disappointing. The food was poor to good, the service was "fine" not special. We had sailed on the Island Princess to Hawaii last year and found the Island to be superior to the Dawn, but still the "quality" of Princess (since they were taken over by Carnival) leaves much to be desired. Princess has a very loyal following and if one dares to criticize a Princess experience on the Princess Cruise Critic threads, you get beat up. I think it is great that they have such great loyalty, but I am still hoping to have an exceptional experience with you all on the Regatta in March. Happy New Year. We'll see you in a few months! Les

• 3 weeks later...

Not to sound to mushy and overly complementary, but I had to post and say thanks to Oceania and Frank Del Rio. As many of you know, I am taking my parents on the Transatlantic from Miami to Marseille in March. I had booked an inside room because of the cost of traveling with my partner and my parents. This will probably be their only trip to Europe since they are getting older and I wanted to take them before it was to late. I usually never cruise in an inside cabin, but felt it was worth the sacrifice to have my parents along. Today I recieved an email with an upgrade to Ocean View category C1 for the both of us. I realise that this is not much for alot of you on this board, but for us it is a true delight and pleasure to recieve such an upgrade. It will make the trip that much more special for us. As you know from the title of this thread I have had high hopes for Oceania. This seamingly small gesture to many has made my week. My parents are so excited now. They were before, but this has been a tremedous addition to our travel plans. Thanks Oceania! I hope to have a wonderful cruise and look forward to meeting fellow cruise critic members onboard.

Hi There.

My wife and I are on the same cruise,we have been married for 43 years so old geezers to,we`ll be seeing you

F.Sander

Welcome to the C.C. boards. If you & your wife are indeed on the March 23 TransAtlantic on Regatta, please check the "Roll Calls-Oceania" boards. We have a very long thread going there & a lot of C.C. people on this sailing. And we would love to have you join in as we plan an onboard "meet & greet" on the first sea day. Come on over & introduce yourself to the rest of the "family". ;)

Archived