My first cruise: 90% great

cppcruise

Just went on my first cruise aboard the Century to the Carribean. I am 30 years old and went with my wife and another couple. Here are my thoughts, hope they help anyone considering a first cruise to Jamaica/Grand Cayman etc. on Celebrity:

First, the good stuff:

SERVICE: Excellent. Eveyone on the ship seemed like they genuinly liked to be there. I was especially happy to see an international staff. Europe and the Americas still consider hospitality a serious profession, unlike (in my opinion) the U.S., and we benefited from it. They were always friendly and bent over backwards to help us with whatever we needed. We tipped generously, they deserved it.

FOOD: Great. From the hamburgers by the pool to the sushi buffet to the dining room to the excellent Muranos (don't miss it) we ate like kings (and gained the weight to prove it). The variety was there and special requests were accomodated happily at every turn. When I could not have any of the deserts (I have a milk allergy) every server from the simplest buffet to Muranos went back and had a chef/cook come up with a special dairy free desert just for me without my asking for it. I was amazed.

THE SHIP: Awesome. We're the types to sit on the deck with a cocktail and watch the sea pass by and there was more than enough room to do so. People who wanted noise and crowds could find that, people who wanted peace and quiet could also be accomodated. The facilities were clean and modern, and I never saw or smelled anything unpleasant. Where nanovirus is concerned, there were porters roaming the ship with big spray bottles of cleaner, squirting it on every surface fingers touched.

THE FELLOW PASSENGERS: Not a lot of kids, and those that were there were well behaved. No screaming babies, no rugrats racing through the halls. We don't have, nor want, kids, and sought out a ship that would be as kid free as possible. If you're like us, this is the line for you. Otherwise a good percentage of seniors, most comically cranky, just like your grandparents. There were a handful of married couples our age, also looking for a mellow good time.

And now the not so good:

THE SPA: We signed up for a couples massage with great anticipation. It's expensive, and one of the "splurges" we agreed on laying down the bucks for. When we got there we were greeted kindly and introduced to a pair of runway model beautiful massueses (sp?), a guy and a girl. We laid down, got massaged, it was great. Coming out of my post rub down coma, I was greeted by a sales pitch of almost comic proportions pushing me to buy various expensive lotions and oils that would improve my circulation, muscle tension, etc. Now, I am not one to shoot someone who's just doing their job down, so I politely nodded as I was presented with the items, then got up and got dressed. Who knew nodding silently meant "I'll buy?" I was presented with my bill for the massage, written in an incomprehensible scrawl, and was asked to sign. It looked higher than I remembered, but the massuse just kept saying "sign, sir, sign" in her Austrian accent in response to my questions. I signed, and she handed me a bag, turned, and stalked off, quickly. I looked in the bag and it had the lotion my guy had tried to sell me. I realized what had happened (also got a bunch of s**t from my wife) and went to the front desk. I was AGAIN given the hard sell to keep the lotion I had not wanted. My friend who we sailed with butted in and curtly snapped "He doesn't WANT it" and only then did they give up. The British manager rushed over and snatched the bill from my hand, amended it, and all was well. But after all that the benefits from my massage had evaporated, as I had been tensely debating with the staff to refund my account the cost of the lotion. It was def. partially my fault for not being firm but come on, I'm firm in real life, I was on vacation. Not cool, Century Spa, not cool at all.

THE EXCURSIONS: Don't do them. Just don't. This post is long enough, all I'll say is I did an excursion in Jamaica and was shuttled from crappy trinket shop to trinket shop and almost missed the ship because the cynical "tour guides" only cared about getting our dollars, and in Grand Cayman we hired a local to show us around and we spent a wonderful day snorkeling with sting rays and eating at the local haunts. Just do your own thing, the excursions are weak, simply organized tourist traps and nothing more.

Overall I had a great time. The staff of the ship were true professionals and should be proud of their work. I would cruise Celebrity again.

Thanks so much for coming to share your experience. I love hearing from first time cruisers. I remember ours so well and that first cruise is one you will always remember.

I wanted to comment on your spa experience. I've pretty much decided to give up on the spas. They have become highly overpriced and I can get the same massage for half the price at home. I haven't had anyone try to sell me something in a long, long time, though. When I fill out how many cruises I've been on, they don't even bother to ask if I want to purchase anything. ;) It's a bummer that it ruined the wonderful effects of the massage. But glad you enjoyed the cruise and will come back. It is addictive....in a good way!

Be sure to visit us here now and then, too! OH....and be sure to submit your review to the REVIEWS section of Cruise Critic. It's great!

Hi CppCruise !

Thanks for the excellent review. I was on Century earlier this month, and we had a great time as well !

I agree with you, that the Spas should lighten up on the sales pitch. I dont have a problem with them making recommendations, but a simple "no thank you" should suffice. For them to take it any further than that, is 100% unacceptable.

Did you book another Celebrity Cruise while onboard ? Most of us do :)

What a lovely review. I am glad you pointed out the bit about the spa. I was thinking of maybe treating myself to the stone therapy. My daughter is a newly qualified beautician but not trained in the stone therapy yet. She is however trained in all the other massages.

I guess I shall have to point out to the spa people that my daughter is a fully qualified beautician and our spare bedroom is full to the top with beauty lotions etc.

(Whilst she was training we converted the spare bedroom into her beauty room all decked out with couch etc manicurists table the works.

The problem with the spas is X doesn't run them Elemis does, so they are just trying to make their bucks. If enough people would put in their post cruise surveys how upset they were about the hard sell, only then might X try and do something about it.

That's the problem with subcontractors.

Thanks for the reveiw.I agree with the spas.I bought my DW a stone massage for Christmas at the new local upscale? spa for about half the price as the ship and while paying I noticed they use the SAME products-Elemis......Frank:)

On the Constellation this past October, I went to the spa, and ended up buying some kind of brush that helps with cellulite. Hah! What a sucker I was.

I was also amazed when we did the spa tour at the beginning of the cruise, at the hard sell they were doing to get people to sign up for services. And they kept saying, "we are 95% booked, there's only a couple of spots left". This on a cruise that was mostly seniors who were not interested in the spa. And, at the very beginning of the cruise. All the services are almost booked and we haven't even left dock yet?? Give me a break, John Stossel.

Also, regarding the spa, I booked a 75 minute hot stone massage. I had one on Carnival once and it was GREAT, so I thought I'd get a really long one while on Connie. Well, first of all, the masseuse on Connie was not as good as the one on Carnival. And second, after 55 minutes, she closed up shop on me. I said I booked a 75 minute massage, and she said she only had down 55 minutes. And she had talked to me throughout the whole massage, so I couldn't sleep. I only paid for 55 minutes, but I really wanted a long massage.

I also got foot reflexology. My health is very good. She kept trying to find things wrong with me. She'd say, "you have headaches", or "you have stomach pain", and I kept saying, "no, no." She finally said, "you are dehydrated," and I agreed with her on that one. I really don't recommend the foot reflexology to anyone.

DH had his teeth whitened on this cruise. That surprised me. Anyway, after the process (I wasn't with him) they got him to buy some stuff to brush on his teeth. It was extremely expensive. I later realized that is was just the whitening stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart. It's still sitting in the cabinet here at home.

My daughter has a friend who worked at a spa here locally. She got fired because she did not sell enough products. I am not kidding! The spa owner expects all of her employees to sell app. $500 of products each month. She wasn't pulling in the money, so she got canned. I know the spa employees on cruise ships are not cruise line employees, so I am wondering if they have the same expectations on them. Sell, or you don't sign on again. ??

I agree with you on shore excursions. I know some people swear by them, but we've only ever done one, and we just won't do one again. We always go off on our own. We've never been late for the ship, not even close.

I also agree with you on the food, service and ship. We've been on the Galaxy and Constellation. Both were awesome!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, despite the spa experience.

Shay

I know that this seems simple to those of us who spend alot of time in the spa, but this problem can be easily solved. When you get started at the beginning of the procedure, they really want to know what you want. Tell them, I intend to sleep during this massage, or what kind of pressure you want. I also tell them up front that I am not interested in any products today and that has never been a problem - I don't get solicited for sales at all. Then, I can relax after a 30 second conversation.

Enjoy your next massage!

Great review...

I've done the spa thing too... and I found that the best way to deflect the hard sell is to blame my lack of purchasing power on my wife... .... repeat after me...

"I'll have to ask my wife... I'll get back to you"

She does the same....

"I'll have to ask my husband... I'll get back to you"

Excellent review. Like you, my husband and I want to cruise with as few children as possible, in a more adult, service-oriented, atmosphere. So... after 12 cruises on Royal Caribbean, we are now trying Celebrity! One thing I have learned in my "cruising past" is never, ever, ever book excursions! We are very capable of handling our own outings and prefer to do things at our pace -- being herded like cattle and paying big bucks to do so just isn't my idea of a good time. As far as the spa -- I avoid that place like the plague for the very reasons you mentioned!

Again - thanks for your review!

I usually end up buying spa products too. The problem with avoiding the spa is that on vacation when you have more free time- it is a nice luxury.

My mother handles it this way- she fills out the questionaire and writes on the bottom in bold letters...

I AM NOT INTERESTING IN PURCHASING ANY PRODUCTS. I WILL NOT TIP IN GIVEN A SALES PITCH AT THE END OF MY MASSAGE.

bhughey

I'm with you on the excursion thing... on NCL and RCCL... I did my own thing.

BUT, I tried a few excursions through X on our last cruise, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were 1) not crowded 2) not "terribly" expensive 3) a good time...

Try one on your upcoming cruise...

btw... most of my family lives in Charlotte now... (in Cornellius)... one day, I will convince my wife that we need to escape NYC...

Hey cppcruise, thanks for sharing with us your thoughts concerning your first cruise. That always seems to be the really special cruise. Wish that we had more balanced reviews like yours on the Celebrity threads.

Until our recent cruise on Silver Shadow, Century has always been our favorite vessel. Had to smile, because DW and I on our first Century cruise had the his and hers massage, and got the same "hard sell" routine when signing out of the spa. I was firm in saying no, and after the third time, had to ask "what is it about the word no, that you don't understand!" Agree, that it removed the "glow" from the massage.

On future cruises, do not give up entirely on shore excursions, just very carefully review the narrative about each one, and if your questions are not answered, get on Cruise Critic and see if you can get answers from other cruisers.

Glad you had a great cruise, now go ahead and plan the next one. :D

I keep trying spa treatments on cruise ships and I'm always disappointed (hard sell aside). My local spa does so much better a job, as do every spa I've ever visited in Las Vegas. And cheaper, too! I don't mind paying a little more if the experience is good, but I feel really fleeced when I've paid top $ and didn't even enjoy myself...

As for the spa, the prices HAVE gone up quite a bit. I usually look forward to a full body massage by a guy....I really have NOT received a good massage buy a woman. Last cruise I booked with a gentleman, then his schedule changed and they substituted a woman. I told them I had booked with the guy and they insisted I use the woman. As she was standing there I felt a bit pressured so I went ahead....Well people, worse massage I have ever recieved, ever. Then she started with the hard sell which I told her prior if she did she would lose her tip, she did it anyway....so when she came back with the items she was going to try again with I took the sheet of paper , scratched off her tip, asked her to leave and dressed. THe front desk told me I could not scratch off her tip, then I told them She was NOT who I booked with, she was not an acceptable substitute, and the massage was NOT what I was used to getting from Elemis Spas.........

I'm thinking of trying it again once more. I've only really had 2 bad experiences with them; once on Century, once on Mercury....Lets see if the Zenith staff can do any better.

Dave:eek:

BTW: John my husband/partner has a thing about saying 'No', so we have more crap from Elemis than we know what to do with in our batroom. Some of the products are very good, but trying to keep up a regiment to use them is difficult at best.

Thanks for your first-time review; it was an enjoyable read. Century was our first cruise as well, and we have excellent memories. I do agree with all your comments, especially those re: kids on board, and the reasons why one might choose 'Celebrity'; those are our feelings too.

We do take excursions, and other posters have given you good advice. Some are worthwhile, and some are not. We usually take them, so we have had both kinds. Depending on the places you visit, and the attractions there, you can make good choices with the narratives that the company sends out. In three stops in ocho Rios,Jamaica, we have not even gotten off the ship let alone taken an excursion ...:)

On Constellation, in the Baltics, this fall, we "won" two sessions at the spa. My wife took them both, and she also said there was a hard sell which is quite off-putting.

It only took that one cruise for us to be "addicted"... hope it works that way for you, too. Happy Cruising.:D

Thanks for all of your great information about your cruise! You are making it even harder for me to wait the two weeks until mine! We have also experienced this "hard sell" before and agree it is very disconcerting and takes away the wonderful effects of the massage. I also find that the spa staff onboard does not do a very good job. So I let my one massage (if that) per year be at home. We are sending my dad to get a massage the night before our cruise begins to assist in destressing him ahead of time.

Thank-you also for the info regarding the shore excursions. We have already privately booked something for Grand Cayman, but my parents feel very strongly that if we wanted to do something in Jamaica we need to do it through the cruiseline, as they were hijacked by locals in Montego Bay on their first cruise (on Zenith). Most likely we will just had straight to Margaritaville and use their beach facilities.

I personally don't care for the massages...

I buy the cruise long Persian Gardens pass and call it a day...

First of all thanks for the great review!

Templed...is there a hottub located in the spa or near the Persian Garden area?

We have booked the daily wellness ritual spa package for our Century cruise next Dec. which is quite expensive, $474.00 for each of us and it includes 5 massages. Now after reading everyones comments about the spa I am feeling like I made a mistake? Should I just get a Persian Gardens pass and call it a day?? I have been looking forward to the massage a day on our 5 night cruise;) .

Jodie

Templed, I agree with you whole heartedly, the Persian Gardens are delightful. I spend a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes each day in there.

Bow Write, the Persian Gardens are only on the Constellation, Millenium, Infinnity and Summit.

I'm cruising next month... YEA!!!!!

Templed, I agree with you whole heartedly, the Persian Gardens are delightful. I spend a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes each day in there.

Bow Write, the Persian Gardens are only on the Constellation, Millenium, Infinnity and Summit.

I'm cruising next month... YEA!!!!!

Qmadam...they added the Persian Gardens to the Century when it was updated but I don't know if there is a hot tub located in there or near there? I know there is no T pool, it was removed during the refit.

That's why I'm not sure if I should cancel my spa package if all there is to do at the Persian Gardens on the Century is sit in the sauna?

Jodie

Would love to hear a review about the Persian gardens and the daily wellness ritual spa from you who have tried them or are going to.

CppCruise thank you for a great review. I am so glad you enjoyed your 1st cruise.

Absolutely agree with you about tours. We have booked great non cruise tours thru recommendations from here.

The spa, expensive yes. I have back problems and fibromyalgia. Though expensive i have splurged on the hot stone massage. It was truly wonderful- walked out of there feeling like i had not a bone in my body.I have thought about booking that for my next cruise just to help my muscles relax. On our last cruise my husband booked a massage for me beacause i was in allot of pain. The young man gave me the massage and told me that i should get one tomorrow. I told him that i could not due to the expense. He then explained to me that the cost of the massage i had would be billed for half and the one tomorrow would be billed for the other half. He told me that almost everyone comes in for relaxation that he wanted to help me with the pain. I was very touched by his empathy. ( one of those acts of kindness i will never forget )

Nadine

I tried one of the 20 minute beach massages for $20 and it was great. and no sales pitch afterward.

:p

That's what I do too. More & more beaches in the Caribbean & Mexico and I've had some great massages on the beach for a dollar a minute. I've always had great massages.

Terri

Archived