RCCL - right hand/left hand

Based on a number of posts, it seems that with RCCL the right hand (upper management) doesn't know what the left hand (customer service, land AND sea) is doing. When (and IF), after much frustration (I'm thinking of the C&A credit mixup thread here) a customer FINALLY gets in touch with a person who is sufficiently senior, management-wise, the situation gets corrected quickly, correctly, and with apologies for previous inadequacies. WHY OH WHY is the corporate message about quality customer service not reaching down to the people who actually deal with the customers?

I've seen it time and time again, in many threads where the cruiser had a really legitimate issue (cruise credits, bed bugs, credit card issues, soggy carpet) that was not dealt with correctly on board or on land the first SEVERAL rounds. Eventually, someone who knows what they are doing becomes aware of the issue and quickly resolves it or at least responds to it.

RCCL has a wonderful, albeit imperfect, product. It seems that a cruiseline would be better equipped to deal with less than smooth sailing.

It's refreshing to hear that upper management may be able to help those with problems. I have to say that the customer reps that I have talked to have been pleasant and as helpful as I think that they have the power to be. I'm hoping upper management will want to make things to go smoothly for everyone. I don't want anything more than what will make my cruise go smoothly and I just don't want to come out behind financially. I had the perfect hotel, right next to the pier, the perfect cruise, and the perfect flight. Now I have to settle for a second choice itinerary, however it is my first choice cruise line, and to not loose money on airfare, and loose money on nonrefundable air I need an extra hotel stay. I don't want to be inconvenienced by having to stay at a different hotel or pay $400 for a nights stay that would have not been necessary if the cruise went as advertised. I don't want to gain from this, I just want to feel valued and not come out behind financially. Lets hope Royal Caribbean stands up to their reputation in the end. We will see. I do have hope.

The lower levels of customer service aren't what they could be because the service reps are low-paid folks (probably not even in this country) with a very high turn-over rate! They are trained from a "script" and don't know what to do when an event deviates from that script! It's the same in a dept. store--the clerk doesn't know what to do in most extreme cases--and usually, neither do the supervisors!

It's just because this is OUR costly vacation, that these "mix-ups" take on such importance! They should train the reps to recognize when higher help is needed!

The lower levels of customer service aren't what they could be because the service reps are low-paid folks (probably not even in this country) with a very high turn-over rate! They are trained from a "script" and don't know what to do when an event deviates from that script! It's the same in a dept. store--the clerk doesn't know what to do in most extreme cases--and usually, neither do the supervisors!

It's just because this is OUR costly vacation, that these "mix-ups" take on such importance! They should train the reps to recognize when higher help is needed!

I have had lengthy conversations with the C & A reps who are in KANSAS by calling C & A and staying on the line with the recorded message and not pushing 1. Each and every person was helpful, resolved my request, and seemed genuinely interested in assisting me. In every business there is a process. I try to learn the process and apply it to all my travel plans, rarely using a TA. I think that the issue is one of communication and training, and perhaps EMPOWERMENT, allowing the CSR's more ability to fix things at their level. When I think of it, doesn't RCI have over 40,000 cabins fleetwide? If they were reserved only 1 time p/week, that would be 80,000 (appx.) people who could have something go wrong each week. The entire cruise is "fraught with peril" at the things that could go wrong. I think CC is a great place to discuss issues, get information, and help make cruising more enjoyable.

What makes you think RCI is different than anywhere else in the corporate world? For the holidays I worked at a nationwide department store. I do not know how many times we got different answers for certain issues from different management levels, and I have a friend who also works in a store 10 miles away and their store handles things differently. The bottom line is lower level people do not have the same authority as higher level. And it is just as frustrating for them as the consumer.:rolleyes:

Regardless who I've talked with, the at sea personnel is fabulous & the phone folks are jerks. Many have never been on a cruise. Many are low paid and work long hours, so you get their frustrations. But at least they are NOT in INDIA!

That is why I have a great TA who deals with this, who is known by the CEO, and gets what she wants for her customers!

For years, and even once again this evening, my TA has said that RCI has the best at sea personel and the worst land based.

Many have never been on a cruise. Many are low paid and work long hours.

I'm curious what info you have to sustain this. How do you know that many have never been on a cruise? Also, what is their salary and work hours?

As with any large company, CS is a liason between the company and the customer. They weed out the minor issues from the major. There's always room for improvement.

Regardless who I've talked with, the at sea personnel is fabulous & the phone folks are jerks. !. Many are low paid and work long hours, so you get their frustrations.

That was rather harsh..........(calling them jerks)............

And so what if they are low paid.......at least they are working and not living off the government...............

It sounds to me that MACOP was venting her frustration by calling the CSRs jerks. She then gives an explanation why she thinks they behave the way they do. Here in Nebraska we have Regent Seven Seas CSR positions I almost applied until I found out they only pay $8.50 hour. But discounted cruises! I would spend more than what I make driving there with the prices of gas the way they are. :rolleyes: Anyway, back to the subject. I called them and they were impressed with the fact that I have traveled and TAKEN CRUISES. I was told not many of the people working for them have EVER traveled let alone taken a cruise. :eek: So MACOP has a valid point. :)

Welcome to my world! I deal with left hand/right hand issues everyday with me stuck in the middle!! :eek:

Abridalmaven I couldn't agree more, corporate/everyday world is no different, Got a question or issue....ask 6 people, you'll get 6 different answers! Just depends on knowledge, management style or willingness to assist.

I get a lot of "its not my job" when I need answers or assistance, I get a lot of brush offs or false info just to appease me. What gets me is I would like to have some of the salaries they are getting paid!!! :D

My best defense or protection in consumer transactions has always been my knowledge and experience. If I know how it's supposed to be, I can usually help make sure it turns out that way! I always try to work with the person who is there to resolve something for me. A positive attitude always helps too.

I'm curious what info you have to sustain this. How do you know that many have never been on a cruise? Also, what is their salary and work hours?

RCI CSRs (with experience) are hired at approx $7 per hour, standard 40-hour work week for the most part. I have personal knowledge of some that have never taken a cruise. For them, its a job, nothing else. While they can cruise for virtually no $$, they must cruise standby and often do not know whether they have a cabin until they are within, say, 48 hours of departure. They can apply for 10 cruises and not get on one cruise due to passenger counts. They can be sitting with bags packed, ready to go, and get bumped. They still are expected to tip according the guidelines set out for revenue passengers, still have the same on-board expenses, parking fees, port charges, spending $ at ports, perhaps home expenses (i.e. dogs/cats in kennel in order to travel, etc.). At $7 an hour, the costs to cruise can be substantial to withstand. While the reduced rate travel sounds sexy, its not what its cracked up to be, hence the turnover.

Therefore, its feasible to expect many have never cruised. Many have only been employed a short while.

of who you are talking to. They will tell you they just got their job after moving to FLA. They have never been on a cruise & some state they don't want to.

Then go read the help wanted areas for RCCL & you will choke at the pay........

CSTC has a large book, as we had at UPS, that answered questions & you read what it stated. Same with RCCL but what they are reading is just that - reading. They have no knowledge what we are talking about & they are not allowed to read us here at CC. Now do they monitor their phone at home to see if they access us???? They also question me if I visit Grocery Store Critics, Gas Station Critics, etc. They were insulting!

I sent a letter of complaint listing dates, time of day, name of party to Fain & got a letter in the mail that he appreciated my info & they were be monitoring them. SO we will see.

As with any large company, CS is a liason between the company and the customer. They weed out the minor issues from the major. There's always room for improvement.

of who you are talking to. They will tell you they just got their job after moving to FLA. They have never been on a cruise & some state they don't want to.

Then go read the help wanted areas for RCCL & you will choke at the pay........

CSTC has a large book, as we had at UPS, that answered questions & you read what it stated. Same with RCCL but what they are reading is just that - reading. They have no knowledge what we are talking about & they are not allowed to read us here at CC. Now do they monitor their phone at home to see if they access us???? They also question me if I visit Grocery Store Critics, Gas Station Critics, etc. They were insulting!

I sent a letter of complaint listing dates, time of day, name of party to Fain & got a letter in the mail that he appreciated my info & they were be monitoring them. SO we will see.

I always call C & A in KANSAS. Good service always.

Regardless who I've talked with, the at sea personnel is fabulous & the phone folks are jerks. Many have never been on a cruise. Many are low paid and work long hours, so you get their frustrations. But at least they are NOT in INDIA!

quote]

I have no idea how anyone can quantify that "many" CSRs are:

1.) jerks

2.) low paid

3.) overworked

4.) ignorant

Every Royal Caribbean CSR I have dealt with has been very courteous and they really try to be helpful. I wouldn't expect a CSR to have executive decision-making authority; they are basically there to provide information. Does that make them jerks? Gee, I hope not.

Some folks just won't accept "no" as an answer, because the world revolves around their nether regions... A negative response doesn't qualify a CSR as a jerk, in my opinion. However, after reading hundreds of CC posts, I can draw a conclusion whether the jerk is the CSR or might be at the other end of the phone line...

JMHO

LL

P.S. - The CSRs haven't been in Florida for quite a while. "Toto, we're still in Kansas..."

In this case, they would be lieing to you. RCI CS is not in Florida. MACOP, are you making things up? :confused:

Interesting how posts take different directions as we add our 2 cents to others. I think there are 2 locations for C & A. This is off their card: Phone 800-526-9723 fax 305-373-4394 (305 is an area code in FL)

address C & A Society p.o. box 026053 Miami, FL 33102 USA

Interesting how posts take different directions as we add our 2 cents to others. I think there are 2 locations for C & A. This is off their card: Phone 800-526-9723 fax 305-373-4394 (305 is an area code in FL)

address C & A Society p.o. box 026053 Miami, FL 33102 USA

Maybe there was some miscommunication. But, C&A and CS are different. ;)

Many are low paid and work long hours, so you get their frustrations. But at least they are NOT in INDIA!

Have some problem with people working in INDIA! Also to put all the people on shore in the JERK category I think it is a reflection of yourself!!!

We have had very few problems with shore or sea staff, but I assure you we have had problems in both areas.

I think you should walk in their shoes awhile before you jump into them.:rolleyes:

Our news paper this morning has several columns of "help wanted" listings. Those over in RCI customer service who don't like their jobs are welcome to a copy of the paper....;)

Archived