Alcohol Shake Down

CocoKai

Luck of the draw! We can't stop 'em all;)

A police officer attempts to stop a car for speeding and the guy gradually increases his speed until he's topping 100 mph. He eventually realizes he can't escape and finally pulls over.

The officer approaches the car and says, "It's been a long day and my shift is almost over, so if you can give me a good excuse for your behavior, I'll let you go."

The guy thinks for a few seconds and then says, "My wife ran away with a cop about a week ago. I thought you might be that officer trying to give her back!"

The officer replies "Have a nice day, Sir";)

Damn, I wish I could think that fast!!!! Thanks for a good laugh....NMNita

Anywhere I can find out what wines are available in the dining room so we don't have to pay the corkage fee? Also, my husband likes a resiling that he first had on HAL. Anyone know what brand they carry? thanks!

The Volendam Wine List was posted here on Cruise Critic several months ago by robntown....It's six pages long & I' downloaded it...Not sure if all the ships have the same wine list, but it might help..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=394723&highlight=%22wine+list%22

Good luck..Betty

The Volendam Wine List was posted here on Cruise Critic several months ago by robntown....It's six pages long & I' downloaded it...Not sure if all the ships have the same wine list, but it might help..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=394723&highlight=%22wine+list%22

Good luck..Betty

They must have really good "Bean counters, cost accountants" at HAL, how they can justify such prices absolutely astounds me. For example, New Zealand Monkey Bay Chardonay, selling in my local grocery store this week for $NZD9.99. How the heck can HAL on sell this at $US39, that is a massive profit.

The two wines from New Zealand quoted in the SBlanc range at $US38 and $US39 sell down here for less than $NZ20. When you adjust these prices and allow for the exchange rate selling today at approx. .68 and then add on for freight, this is out right extortion. Then I believe you also get charged another 15% gratuity on top of these prices, not sure?

Mind you when docking in Auckland at end of October after sailing down on the Statendam a group of us Kiwis all noted that the first container to roll up to the ship was full of cartons of wine. I can't help wondering if HAL shipped NZ wine down from the States or not? Or did they order it here, what a killing they will have been making over the last few months as the ship has plouged back and forth between NZ and Aus!

EVERY ship says you are not allowed to bring alcohol on board.

We have sailed on about 20 cruises on various cruiselines.

We have always brought our own liquor on board.....just packed it in the suitcase. It has NEVER been taken :O)

Shippy

• 2 weeks later...
They must have really good "Bean counters, cost accountants" at HAL, how they can justify such prices absolutely astounds me. For example, New Zealand Monkey Bay Chardonay, selling in my local grocery store this week for $NZD9.99. How the heck can HAL on sell this at $US39, that is a massive profit.

The two wines from New Zealand quoted in the SBlanc range at $US38 and $US39 sell down here for less than $NZ20. When you adjust these prices and allow for the exchange rate selling today at approx. .68 and then add on for freight, this is out right extortion. Then I believe you also get charged another 15% gratuity on top of these prices, not sure?

Too true, Chivalrygirl.

During my recent visit to your wonderful country I had some delightful wines. One of my favorite things to do in faraway places is visit a local grocery store, and I did find many of the ones I enjoyed on board at amazingly better prices.

I handed them (in plastic shopping bags) right to security and not once were they taken, but regardless I was intent on them taking a far longer journey, not drinking them on board and wouldn't really have minded.

DH enjoyed them and they happily survived not only the trip back to the States but also again across the country snugly packed in my checked luggage....now he REALLY wants to visit Kiwiland!

LZ (who just cannot say enough good things about my NZ experience).

We just returned from the Volendam and ordered a wine at the Pinnacle that we ended up really liking. We asked for it twice more - once in the dining room and once thorough room service. It was fetched for us from the Pinnacle and the final bill listed as a Pinnacle charge. Wish I would gave gotten the Pinnacle wine list that is different from the dining room.

Sue

Archived