Alcohol Shake Down

CocoKai

There is something wrong about cruising the Mexican Riviera and the best tequila offered is Jose Cuervo. How diligent is the alcohol "search" when you are getting on the ship, either in San Diego or a port of call?

Is HAL going to be focused on terrorists bombs or my premium Don Julio?

How diligent is the alcohol "search" when you are getting on the ship, either in San Diego or a port of call?

I'm sure it varies widely with ship, place, time, and security people at the gangplank on a particular day. We bought tequila in Costa Maya Mexico (Caribbean side) and brought it on in the store bag, with no attempt to hide it, and nothing was said. However, all that remained of the cruise at that point was one sea day, and maybe they weren't interested in taking it from us for 28 hours or so.

While I am totally with you about Don Julio, I will say that on of our recent cruises on the Oosterdam we had purchased Cabo Wabo Tequila in Cabo and totally expected them to take it away when we boarded and to our surprise. Nothing was said and we went on our merry way to our cabin with our tequila:D

We had a similar experience. We bought some Tequila in Cabo San Lucas. When I returned to the ship, the bottle was in a plastic shopping bag, but it was clearly a bottle.

I put it on the conveyor to the x-ray machine, expecting the security guys to confiscate it, but no one said a word. So, I just kept my mouth shut, picked up the bottle and took it to our cabin.

Paul Noble

We had a similar experience. We bought some Tequila in Cabo San Lucas. When I returned to the ship, the bottle was in a plastic shopping bag, but it was clearly a bottle.

I put it on the conveyor to the x-ray machine, expecting the security guys to confiscate it, but no one said a word. So, I just kept my mouth shut, picked up the bottle and took it to our cabin.

Paul Noble

I also bought 1 bottle of Tequila in Puerto Vallarta and to my surprise when I got back onboard, I was allowed to take it to my cabin. They looked swamped with checking people's bags, and I think I was allowed to take mine because it was only 1 bottle.

Still, I wouldn't bet on it :)

One of my tricks to bring liquor on at embarkation is to put it in a wine bottle, recork it and then seal the cork. You can buy the heat shrink seals in you local wine making store for pennies each. I've done this on every cruise and never had a problem. They look at the bottle and the seal and allow us to take it on, with a reminder that if we want to drink it in the dining room there will be a corkage fee. :D

Hint: use green bottles for dark liquors, and clear bottles for clear or pale color liquors

One of my tricks to bring liquor on at embarkation is to put it in a wine bottle, recork it and then seal the cork. You can buy the heat shrink seals in you local wine making store for pennies each. I've done this on every cruise and never had a problem. They look at the bottle and the seal and allow us to take it on, with a reminder that if we want to drink it in the dining room there will be a corkage fee. :D

Hint: use green bottles for dark liquors, and clear bottles for clear or pale color liquors

WAY too much trouble, so no thanks. BTW, thanks for posting your smuggling tips. Eventually, the lines to check pax carry-on bags will be so long - we will all have to wait longer than necessary while our mouthwash, wine bottles, etc, are checked for contraband!

You can purchase liquor to be delivered to your cabin ahead of time through ships services - $25 to $30 per set - up... usually 1.5 litres and mixers.... no NEED to smuggle... :confused:

WAY too much trouble, so no thanks. BTW, thanks for posting your smuggling tips. Eventually, the lines to check pax carry-on bags will be so long - we will all have to wait longer than necessary while our mouthwash, wine bottles, etc, are checked for contraband!

You can purchase liquor to be delivered to your cabin ahead of time through ships services - $25 to $30 per set - up... usually 1.5 litres and mixers.... no NEED to smuggle... :confused:

No kidding a pain, especially if you have to travel via air to the port.

Ship services purchased before hand is not unreasonable at all. Sure they will not have all your high end choices, but neither does every hotel or restaraunt.

BTW, thanks for posting your smuggling tips. Eventually, the lines to check pax carry-on bags will be so long - we will all have to wait longer than necessary while our mouthwash, wine bottles, etc, are checked for contraband!

Or maybe HAL will just give up and let you carry the stuff on?

I don't drink enough to ever warrant bringing my own onboard, but I can't help but wonder what the reason is for this policy. If the prices through ship's services are so reasonable, then why does HAL care if some passengers prefer to bring their own onboard? Surely most wouldn't even want to bother. Doesn't seem to be much harm in someone bringing a few bottles of their favorite libation onboard. Maybe someone really does want a brand not available on the ship. So, why would HAL have a problem with it?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita - I've said right along that HAL's alcohol policy makes no sense at all. Why can the oenophiles bring their favorite brand aboard and those of us who prefer distilled spirits or beer don't have the same option? It's clearly discriminatory.

If the reasoning is to avoid the complaints in the dining room re "what do you mean you don't have the '04 frog's butt reserve" , then why is it any less important that those who want Don Julio either have it available in the bars onboard or failing that, be allowed to bring it on board?

I'd love to have the HAL higher ups give me a rational explanation for the difference.

In the meantime, for those who feel compelled to pack a bottle in their checked baggage, go for it. As for bringing it on after a port call, our experience echos that of others, as long as it is only a bottle or two and you have it packed in a beach bag or a back pack, it is unlikely that anyone will make an issue of it when you reboard. Worst case scenario they will take it from you and give it back the nite before disembarkation.

On all of the Mexican cruises we have taken, there was a table set up and a person manning it to take away bottles of alcohol that were purchased in the various ports. The person had luggage tags there to put your name and cabin number on so that it could be returned at the end of the cruisre.

I must have missed that when we were on the Oosterdam last year. We brought ours on without a word from anyone. I really don't understand the policy either except more bucks for them. We are not cheapskates but we do like to have a drink or two in the room and HAL never has what we want. I personally don't feel like we're cheating them. We still buy drinks in the bars and at dinner.

Wow!!! I thought about the wine bottle idea and now I see I am not alone.

It has nothing to do with being "cheap." Jose Cuervo is the reason most people have bad tequila experiences. The cruise is going to Mexico...Mexicans don't even drink Cuervo 1800! HAL allows me to pass on the Franzia Wine in the Box and bring my own vintage. Why do spirits get different treatment from wine?

Caution: I will be smuggeling and holding up the line while they uncork my dark green bottle to sniff out the Don Julio.

Good for all of you who have not had a problem: we bought 2 bottles of booze in Panama on the Amsterdam last month. When we re-boarded the ship we did have to surrender the bottles and they were returned to us the last night. It was fine with us,we had meant to take them home. NMnita

Until a couple of years ago, HAL used to allow you to purchase liquor on board in the duty-free shop and take it to your cabin for an additional 20% mark-up. If you were going to take it home, there was no mark-up and it was delivered to your cabin on the last night.

I still don't understand why they changed that policy. If there was growing concern about over-imbibing (as opposed to concern about lost bar revenue), they could have instituted a 2-bottle per cabin limit or something.

We don't drink enough to worry about it, but it was nice to be able to get a bottle or two from the shops when we were traveling with a larger group and hosting evening cocktails in our suite. Oh, well!

Happy cruising,

Susan

We also do not drink that much to make bringing our own liqour on board worth the trouble.

But there were two occasions where we did find an interesting local liqour while in port and bought it. It was just one bottle each time and was in a big tote bag with the rest of our purchases. It wasn't hidden or wrapped any differently. Both times we just handed the bags over to be scanned and they were handed back to us with the bottles, not a word said , and we were off on our merry way.

Bought a bottle of Tequilla in Cabo last week on Thursday (next to last day of the cruise) - it was in a white plastic bag. Coming back to Oosterdam, placed the bag on the X-ray belt. One of the security guys reminded me to take the bag to another HAL employee sitting at a table beyond the checkpoint. Did so; that employee took the bottle and gave me a receipt/tag. It was delivered back to our cabin about 24 hours later on the last sea day - no biggie!

Sounds like a hit and miss - looks like it depends on who's working security that particular day

Bought a bottle of Tequilla in Cabo last week on Thursday (next to last day of the cruise) - it was in a white plastic bag. Coming back to Oosterdam, placed the bag on the X-ray belt. One of the security guys reminded me to take the bag to another HAL employee sitting at a table beyond the checkpoint. Did so; that employee took the bottle and gave me a receipt/tag. It was delivered back to our cabin about 24 hours later on the last sea day - no biggie!

Sounds like a hit and miss - looks like it depends on who's working security that particular day

It certainly does seem to be hit or miss: while we were signing and turning our bottles over another couple, behind us, were told to wait in line; they choose to continueing walking. No one stopped them. I guess it is like the guy who speeds past when you have just been pulled over for speeding. The cop got you and can't be bothered with the next guy. NOw how would I know this? LOL

It certainly does seem to be hit or miss: while we were signing and turning our bottles over another couple, behind us, were told to wait in line; they choose to continueing walking. No one stopped them. I guess it is like the guy who speeds past when you have just been pulled over for speeding. The cop got you and can't be bothered with the next guy. NOw how would I know this? LOL

Luck of the draw! We can't stop 'em all;)

A police officer attempts to stop a car for speeding and the guy gradually increases his speed until he's topping 100 mph. He eventually realizes he can't escape and finally pulls over.

The officer approaches the car and says, "It's been a long day and my shift is almost over, so if you can give me a good excuse for your behavior, I'll let you go."

The guy thinks for a few seconds and then says, "My wife ran away with a cop about a week ago. I thought you might be that officer trying to give her back!"

The officer replies "Have a nice day, Sir";)

Archived