murder mystery

revj

In looking through some of the dailies posted, I notice a murder mystery event. I know that it must be signed up for in advance, but has anyone participated in this? Does it take place at a meal time? Any info will be appreciated--I've always wanted to be Nancy Drew!

In looking through some of the dailies posted, I notice a murder mystery event. I know that it must be signed up for in advance, but has anyone participated in this? Does it take place at a meal time? Any info will be appreciated--I've always wanted to be Nancy Drew!

It does take place at dinner time. They seperate you into groups of 8 and each is given a script. On the DAWN we met in the auditorim and there was a briefing first before going to the dining room. They do fill up pretty quickly, so sign up early for this. There is no cost, since it's held in the main dining rooms.

I participated in the Murder Mystery Dinner back on the Spirit last February. I thought it was loads of fun. There was no problem at all accommodating the number of people who wanted to participate. The sign-up announcement in the Freestyle Daily indicated that there would be a limit of 96 participants. Well, we ended up with only 32 (4 groups of 8). Each member of a group is assigned to one of the eight characters, all of whom are suspects in the onboard murder of the Captain. Each character is given a barebones script that is tailored to his character. The script is meant to provide guidelines as to the character's background along with hints about potential dialogue. Other than that, the conversations among the eight characters are improvisational, conducted during dinner in one of the main dining rooms. We were told that it might be a good idea to "perform" each of the four scenes as each of the four dinner courses was served (appetizer, soup/salad, entree, dessert). Following dinner, all of the groups convened in the Stardust Theater to find out who the murderer was.

P.S. Due to the potentially mature subject matter, it was restricted to adults only.

We participated in the Murder Mystery Dinner on the Dawn in August. It really was a lot of fun. They assigned a charcter role to everyone, gave out scripts and showed a movie clip. Everyone was then brought to their tables in groups of eight to solve the mystery. We met some great people during the event too.

On our last cruise, one of the men accidentally chose to be a female character. When he found out, he was horrified, but he really got into it and it was hilarious.

It was so fun. We were a little nervous about it, but it was great. The "killer" had us all fooled. It was great.

DH and I love murder mystery dinners and have hosted and attended a number of them and this is one that I don't want to miss.

We are sailing on the 3/1 Dawn 10 day cruise and was wondering if anyone knows what night it is usually on.....

Thanks!

We just returned from the spirit Jan 2/07 and yes they did have the murder mystery. The cruise director staff running it said they use to have the one where the captain was the victim, but since many people cruise again on the same line they have changed it. It is now with 6 people/characters. The limit was 96 particpants, you sign up a few days in advance , watch for it in the daily, only 32 signed up for ours, I wonder if people missed it in the daily. You meet in the threatre and are broken into groups of 6. Each is given a character and script. You then proceed to dinner and act it out/ attempt to solve it over the course of dinner. It was alot of fun.

Enjoy

how long does it take? I am wondering because we will have to check our daughter into the kids crew to do this and wonder if we will be done on time to take her to a late dinner. ( unless it happens to be the same night the kids crew eat dinner in the restaurant as a group)

how long does it take? I am wondering because we will have to check our daughter into the kids crew to do this and wonder if we will be done on time to take her to a late dinner. ( unless it happens to be the same night the kids crew eat dinner in the restaurant as a group)

On the DAWN I think we gathered in the auditorium about 5 PM, were divided into groups and watched the film clip. We were at the restaurant just as it was opening, so it must have started about 5:30...and took about 2 hours for the meal and to get through the script.

Hello! I noticed that someone said that children were not allowed. I have an eleven year old that watches Murder She Wrote reruns and all the British Murder Mystery shows. Has anyone been on one that allowed young adults to participate? It sounds like something she would get a huge kick out of, both kids into acting. Any info would be appreciated?

These posts have been very helpful--I'm looking forward to this activity. Is it usually the same night of the cruise? Just don't want to book a specialty restaurant for the same night and run the risk of having to eat twice!

Hello! I noticed that someone said that children were not allowed. I have an eleven year old that watches Murder She Wrote reruns and all the British Murder Mystery shows. Has anyone been on one that allowed young adults to participate? It sounds like something she would get a huge kick out of, both kids into acting. Any info would be appreciated?

I know on the STAR the teen club had a version (different than the adult version) of the murder mystery one night but I'm not sure if the younger kids have any type of mystery.

These posts have been very helpful--I'm looking forward to this activity. Is it usually the same night of the cruise? Just don't want to book a specialty restaurant for the same night and run the risk of having to eat twice!

You can always ask at the Pursers desk when you get on the ship and they should know, if not the Cruise Director will know for sure. Normally it is the same night of the cruise, so check out a few cruises before yours and ask them.

What's wrong with eating twice, it's Freestyle cruising afterall.:D

I can't figure out how anyone with kids on board can participate?

No kids allowed and no kids clubs open during dinner?

Any ideas?

I was on the Wind last Dec and my 7 YO son not only attended, he played a character. I don't know why anyone is saying kids aren't allowed.

Any chance this might also be on the Pearl?? :) Sounds fun!

It wasn't on the Pearl the 2 trips I took in Dec. with one being the 10 night crossing. Don't know if it's been rolled out for the Caribbean 9 nighters or not.

Also don't know if it's left up to the CD to have it or not. We've seen it on the Dawn, Jewel and Spirit so far.

Maybe someone who's just come back from the Pearl has more info.

I can't figure out how anyone with kids on board can participate?

No kids allowed and no kids clubs open during dinner?

Any ideas?

You're right, I forgot about the kids crew being closed at meal times....I wonder if they schedule it for the same night as the Kids Crew dinner so that the kids can go to dinner with the other kids while you do the murder mystery.

You're right, I forgot about the kids crew being closed at meal times....I wonder if they schedule it for the same night as the Kids Crew dinner so that the kids can go to dinner with the other kids while you do the murder mystery.

That would be nice:)

Hi to other Murder Mystery Fans,

I was in the same group with Lukes on the Spirit... he's too modest to tell you he played the murderer and did a great job... almost got away with it!

The reason they say no children is because the content is definitely not for young ones. Maybe they have changed the content since some of you were on... anyway, that said, older teens could certainly participate.

You need to watch the Daily for the sign-up. I think many people simply didn't notice it... not prominently displayed. On our cruise it was a night on which we had booked a specialty restaurant. When I signed up for the murder mystery I simply went to the Restaurant Reservation deck and explained the problem. I was able to re-book Shogun for a different night.

I have no idea about nights kids go to the dining room with Kids Crew, but it might have been one of those nights. My 17 year old went with the group several times over the course of the cruise. His schedule was printed for the week, so you can probably find out which night your children will be going to the dining room before the information on the murder mystery appears. The one issue is that dinner was exceptionally early, as noted... we met in the theater at 5 and then went straight to dinner so for us it was the earliest evening meal of the 12 days we were on the ship.

We did have fun and enjoyed the mystery.

Linda

Archived