alaska dinner dress

boydmom

To begin, I would like to say I have tried to do a search, but get nothing. How strict is the dress code in the dining room? My brother in law says he doesn't want to wear a coat and tie:( . Also, on the nights we have been out all day, changing for dinner may be challenging. What is the policy on Hal.

To begin, I would like to say I have tried to do a search, but get nothing. How strict is the dress code in the dining room? My brother in law says he doesn't want to wear a coat and tie:( . Also, on the nights we have been out all day, changing for dinner may be challenging. What is the policy on Hal.

Odds are that he would not be refused admittance to the dining room on a formal night, but personally I think he would be more uncomfortable being conspicuously underdressed than wearing at least a dark jacket (sans tie) for dinner.

Of course on informal nights the jacket is only "suggested" and on casual nights he would be conspicuous with one! But he can always eat in the Lido or his room on formal nights.

We have seen maitre'ds refuse admission to men who were not wearing a jacket/coat on formal nights. But I have read where some maitre'ds do not enforce the dress code policy.

His best bet, if he wants to avoid any potential embarassment, is to dine up in the Lido where casual dress is ok every night.

We have seen maitre'ds refuse admission to men who were not wearing a jacket/coat on formal nights. But I have read where some maitre'ds do not enforce the dress code policy.

His best bet, if he wants to avoid any potential embarassment, is to dine up in the Lido where casual dress is ok every night.

Well, in fact, the "suggested" dress code is supposed to prevail all over the ship, and passengers are "requested" not to go back to their cabin and change after dinner. Now that is very rarely observed, and lots do go to the Lido in casual clothes. If someone is really adamant enough about it to make that big a fuss and give up their dining room dinner over the matter of a jacket and tie, then let them be happy in the buffet with the other children, I guess. ;)

Formal dressup nights are usually scheduled on at sea days or days when you leave a port early. Also if you are going to the Pinnacle Grill on formal nights, you definitely must dress formally. Come on, whats a couple of hours! Just a jacket and tie?

Well, in fact, the "suggested" dress code is supposed to prevail all over the ship, and passengers are "requested" not to go back to their cabin and change after dinner. Now that is very rarely observed, and lots do go to the Lido in casual clothes. If someone is really adamant enough about it to make that big a fuss and give up their dining room dinner over the matter of a jacket and tie, then let them be happy in the buffet with the other children, I guess. ;)

The dress code in the Lido is always casual, and is usually populated by folks your age rather than children.

The dress code is the dress code. There are no "fashion police" ready to link arms to keep your BIL out, but passengers are expected to observe the suggestions. There are other ways to dine (ashore, the Lido, room service) for those who feel the need to thumb their nose at their fellow cruisers.

Would a nice polo and dockers be okay for the casual nights in the dining room? We have cruised many times but never on HAL. My husband has two suits that he would wear for the formal nights.

Any collared shirt and long pants other than jeans are fine for casual. I certainly wouldn't bother taking two suits. If he spills something on it the first formal night there's enough time to get it cleaned before the second! :D

Not to start up a Dress Code Debate I will say this. We have been on 2 Alaska cruise May 2004 on the Oosterdam and May 2006 Ryndam. Both had the least dressed up Formal, Informal and Casual nights I have ever seen on a cruise. I also think that these 2 cruises had the most first time cruisers I have ever seen. Also I think the majority of Alaska cruisers are just a different breed of cruisers and that is all I am going to say on that;) But what I am getting at is that I saw far more men on Formal night with no tie, some no jackets in the dining room than I saw with a Tux on. Personally I like seeing DH in his Tux and he enjoys wearing it but I also do not think that the ship makes as big a deal about dressing up while in Alaska as they do on other itineraries. I also do not think that the maitre'd would not allow you Brother In Law in the Dining Room. My guess not a word would be said if he wore dockers and a dress shirt.

By the time we pack for a 15 day cruise tour having returned the day before from a 3 week business trip worrying about formal wear is hard. I feel as long as you dress neatly, no jeans etc, a coat is sufficient. You can wear a coat on the plane(sport jacket, whatever). But to worry about tux jacket, 2 tux shirts, pants, formal vest, cumberbund for the second night(worrying about losing the needlepoint cumberbund!!), the formal shoes, studs and everything else--- WHEW-- it's time to just wear that at home when you can just pull it out of the closet. All of us have to dress in these formal duds just plenty and to have to cart it cross country or overseas for a cruise is a bit much. It's not as though we are on the Queen Mary!

We wear the same things we wear to the club for dinner.

If we need to get spiffed up-- then the crew should as well-- at least a bath, deodorant and a clean uniform would be a help.

My brother in law says he doesn't want to wear a coat and tie:( .

OK, that's fine by me. But I sure hope you don't allow this to ruin your vacation. The formal evening dinners are quite enjoyable whether some pax choose to dress or not. We have had a night when we really weren't up to dressing for a formal dinner, so we just didn't go. No one was offended by it.

I guess I wonder why you are out here searching for information on what is essentially his problem. If he chooses not to go along with the dress code, isn't that up to him?

This situation really points out why I like cruising as a couple rather than as a family or part of a group. This way I only have to cater to the wishes of my wife, not to the in-/-outlaws.:D

One way or the other, enjoy your Alaska cruise. It truely is the greatest show on earth!!

If we need to get spiffed up-- then the crew should as well-- at least a bath, deodorant and a clean uniform would be a help.

You do have a problem remembering which lines you've cruised on, don't you? I've never seen a HAL steward anything but properly groomed....

I appreciate all the advice. The reason I am worried about this is because I want to know what BIL options are so he can make his own choice. I love dressing up:D and my dh doesn't mind, but he wears suits frequently. I know BIL can eat in the Lido, but since we have a large family group going, it would be nice for all of us to eat together on formal nights. I think he can surely wear a shirt and tie and hopefully he has a sports jacket. To the person who had been on an Alaskan cruise, on casual nights is it less casual than other cruises? I guess I am wondering if jeans will be worn or still be a no no?

Thanks, to everyone for the comments and advice.

... To the person who had been on an Alaskan cruise, on casual nights is it less casual than other cruises? I guess I am wondering if jeans will be worn or still be a no no?

Thanks, to everyone for the comments and advice.

On our Holland America cruise to Alaska last summer, many folks wore jeans in the main dining room on casual night. (Purely my observation, not stating a preference for one type of attire over another).

Karin

Archived