Norovirus...not the same thread

hospsafe

Well it has finally happened. Something else besides a cruise ship has been closed due to the Norovirus. I was watching the 11:00 news last night when they reported the Hilton near Dulles Airport will be closed until Tuesday due to a scrub down. It appears that 120 employees and a few guests had contracted the virus.

It is also hitting the seacoast of NH. Just got the paper and front page news. They did note that it is the same virus that" runs rampant through cruise ships, making passengers and crew horribly ill." Why must they always reference cruises??? Why not the one that runs rampant through pre-schools, nursing homes, hotels, work places or anywhere were large number of people are together. It is not a cruise ship virus...it is just a plain old virus.

We had norovirus in our home a week before Christmas. Thought it was the flu for me at first but it lasted 3 days and everyone in my house contracted norovirus.

Never had norovirus on a cruise ship and I thought it would be the worst ever to have it on a cruise ship! The virus is a very yucky virus, hope I never get it again. I know I could get it again but I wash my hands a lot. Even before I caught norovirus, I washed my hands a lot too. I guess it's because the virus is very catchy.

Well it's no surprise...

If anyone watched Oprah yesterday she had on a young girl who did a science project with horrible results.

The bacteria in ICE CUBES was greater than the bacteria in Toilet Water from the same fast food location.

A professional lab was used.

The results were repeated by a lab that Ophrah chose and yep...same results for fast food restaurants....hotels and airplanes.

Cheers!!!!!!

Well it has finally happened. Something else besides a cruise ship has been closed due to the Norovirus.

It happens a lot, have seen it on the news a lot as well, just not as sensational as a cruise ship...

A couple of years ago, the media was in a frenzy about noro on cruise ships. 3 to 5% of pax on 3 different ships [and lines] had come down with noro. Buried deep within the paper was a story about a major city [Toronto, I think] having to CLOSE THREE HOSPITALS due to noro. That story gets buried and a few hundred out of 3 to 4 thousand sick on a ship makes the front page.

Responsible journalism? Hardly

Today's news media has only one objective and that is to SELL papers and/or airtime. NOTHING ELSE means anything to them.

Dan

A couple of years ago, the media was in a frenzy about noro on cruise ships. 3 to 5% of pax on 3 different ships [and lines] had come down with noro. Buried deep within the paper was a story about a major city [Toronto, I think] having to CLOSE THREE HOSPITALS due to noro. That story gets buried and a few hundred out of 3 to 4 thousand sick on a ship makes the front page.

Responsible journalism? Hardly

Today's news media has only one objective and that is to SELL papers and/or airtime. NOTHING ELSE means anything to them.

Dan

AMEN!

There are Noro outbreaks everywhere, we just don't hear about them. I think it has something to do with the reporting procedure reqyirements, maybe cruise ships are held to a different standard.

Our hospital here in town was hit with Noro earlier this month and last April.

What do you think sends 1/2 the kids from any given elementary school home sick?? This virus is EVERYWHERE!!!!! You've had it sometime in your life, I'd bet! (I know I have--thank goodness it wasn't while I was on vacation!!!)

You just don't hear about it!

The most common place to catch the Noro Virus is onboard an airplane. The air you breathe on a plane is not filtered or purified in any way...so if one passenger gets on the plane with the Noro then it is more than likely to spread. Most cruise ship pax are coming onboard after a flight to the ship.

You will notice that the latest Hilton Noro incident was next to an airport!!!:D

Well it has finally happened. Something else besides a cruise ship has been closed due to the Norovirus. I was watching the 11:00 news last night when they reported the Hilton near Dulles Airport will be closed until Tuesday due to a scrub down. It appears that 120 employees and a few guests had contracted the virus.

There already has been several threads about this since Tuesday night. I live within 3 miles of that Hotel. Actually it's called the Dulles Hilton but it's not next to the airport. It's the closest Hilton to the airport but not the closest hotel to the airport. The majority of those who were reported ill were guests not employees. At least 120 total people have reported symptoms. The local health department closed the facility and outside companies came in to "deep clean" and disinfect the hotel. It should reopen very soon.

The reason the norovirus has not been targeted in airplanes is because it has a 24 to 48 hour incubation period. By the time the newly infected person realizes he or she is ill, they have been at their destination for at least a day. In the case of cruises, the 3 or day cruises barely have time for an rePordable outbreak to occur. It would be very interesting to see on which days, exactly, cruisers present with symptoms.

For now,

HANDWASHING, HANDWASHING AND MORE HANDWASHING!

go Pats go Pats go Pats !!!

According to our local news Noro hit Radford University here in Virginia this week. Unfortunately the story included a line about how Noro was "commonly found on cruise ships."

I have friends who honestly won't cruise because they think they'll catch the much-publicized Noro. They don't seem to realize that they can catch it just as easily in the grocery store checkout line. :eek:

Cheryl

According to our local news Noro hit Radford University here in Virginia this week. Unfortunately the story included a line about how Noro was "commonly found on cruise ships."

I have friends who honestly won't cruise because they think they'll catch the much-publicized Noro. They don't seem to realize that they can catch it just as easily in the grocery store checkout line. :eek:

Cheryl

I wish I could remember for you that I read somewhere that we are 8 times more likely to catch NORO on land than we are on a ship. It might have been on the CDC website.

Dan

Archived