Meet & Greet No-Shows

TrojanCruiser

We went to our CC meeting in the Boardroom on the Majesty at 10:30 am, a few minutes late since we had been talking to Karin, the concierge. She came to our room right as we were leaving. We arrived to an empty room set up for a classroom meeting with two pitchers of water, no snacks, coffee or juice. The rep had called me the day before to firm things up, but she hadn't arrived yet.

A few people began showing up, and there really wasn't any room to sit in a way conducive to a get together of this type, so a lot of them left. We ended up moving a bunch of tables and chairs so we could fit, sit and chat. We ended up with only about 8 or 10 of us staying after people saw how little room there was. Roz Hernandez (group service coordinator), who set it up did call me later that day to see if we wanted to set up another meeting. A few officers and the CD, Mike Szwajkowski showed up. We stayed until 11:30 AM when it was time for the Martini tasting. Nothing like an early start!:D

In these pictures, you can see how the tables were set up to the left of us. In the second picture you can see the amount of space we had. It was really tight, but we managed.

Jackie

LOL, that was a tight squeeze, wasn't it? To top it off, everyone came late (us included) so I'm guessing a lot of people walked by, didn't see anyone, and left.

It's too bad that people who say they're going to come don't show up, but I guess I have to agree with Shoreguy -- count on about half of the people who say they're going to be there. I had to drag DH to the get-togethers, but once everyone started talking and mingling, he was "in his element" -- he can talk to anyone! Same with the "dinner with an officer" on our recent Spirit cruise -- he was actually mad at me for signing us up, but he had the BEST time talking with the Staff Captain! He said it was one of the highlights of our trip!

Or, as some cruise director (can't remember his name now) once said -- do what you want -- you'll never see these people again!

Unless you want to, that is! And we've made some great friends on our cruises that we met through CC!!:D

We had some great M&G's on two cruises. The Pacific Coastal set up by Dianne and Bill. We had an informal right after the safety drill with a gift exchange, then we did a chocolate buffet in the Owner's suite a few days later. We had name tags, and door magnets, lots of chocolate and some great wine. Dianne did a great job and everyone showed up.

I arranged a M&G on the Jewel (October). We had an informal meeting of 3 tables of 10 in the main dining room, then did a full buffet and open bar in the Garden Villa a few days later. Again everyone showed up except one husband who wasn't feeling well. We all brought chocolate and did a gift exchange.

We had quite a few officers and the captain show up on the Jewel and the several officers showed up on the Pacific coastal cruise.

Have always had very successful M&G. Now, for south america, I can't even get a roll call started! Makes for less work for a M&G.

I even created a website for the Jewel CC gathering.

:)

We were supposed to have an M&G after the fire drill at the Biergarten on the Spirit on 1/23/07. We showed up and I had a Cruise Critic T-shirt on and only met one other member (luvs2cruise) and family. We stayed for a while and then went to watch the sail away from NYC. There was supposed to be around 23 people there. It's a good thing we didn't have a room schedualed.

On our last cruise a couple planned an M&G for the next day in the lounge. Almost everybody showed up. They had name tags for all, cookies, and juice drinks. I think it is bettre to wait to the next day because everybody is running around making dinner reservations, getting something to eat, checking out the ship, and just seeing things they probably never saw before. The next day they are settled in and will probably show up.

I was on the Jewel with Coka over Thanksgiving and she did a great job in setting up a meet and greet for all the cruise critics.

We had a great turnout of NCL staff, including the Captain, but unfortunately did not get as big a turnout of cruise critics as had signed up.

On our New Year's cruise on the Star, I was the one who arranged for the CC meeting on our first sea day.

We had a great turnout of cruise critics but caught NCL off guard with only crew member showing up and there was nothing set up for us to snack on or drink.

This is the important part for everyone to remember. If you have not gotten a list of all the cruise critics and their cabin numbers - please by all means do so.

The reason is when I got back to my cabin from the meeting, I had a message from the hotel director wanting to set up another meeting for us.

Unfortunately I did not have everyone's cabin number and did my best to hunt everyone down I could.

NCL came through for us when they put an announcement about the meeting in the freestyle cruise daily.

We had not only a great turnout of cruise critics but also of the NCL staff.

These meetings are not only great for meeting fellow passengers but also for getting to meet and talk with members of the NCL crew. This can be a big help to you when you have a problem and need help in solving it.

So by all means go to the meeting - you never know you might get some maple candy from a fellow cruise critic.

I did two things on the last meet and greet I set up:

1. Informed the cruisecritics that officers/staff might show up and they might not...it depends on their schedules at the time (which can change at a moment's notice),

2. Informed the group services coordinator of the headcount but stated probably 1/2 to 2/3 would not show up due to their schedules at the time (which is freestyle)!

This way, neither group gets disappointed or discouraged with whoever shows or not.

I take no offense at all to a cruisecritic who misses a meet and greet. I usually feel bad for them that they missed out on a great experience.

Coka

And besides that, it's FUN!!:D:D

We will be on the Sun in March...

Who do I need to call or e-mail to arrange a meeting place?

I have heard that NCL will help provide a place to meet. I am not worried about the Captain or anyone else coming, just be near a bar and a place we can sit down and talk.

On Carnival I have planned several M&G, but we always were informal and met by the pool at a bar...but normally had at least 75% of our roll call show up, sometimes some lurkers also showed up.

I have made up a banner and name tags (my own but related to CC logos) and we all sign the banner and have a pic taken.

Any other suggestions?

Looking forward to my first NCL cruise...

thanks...

I have arranged 3 meet and greets.. Each time there is always a fraction of the people there that said they were coming.. The worst was the first time when only 7 of us showed up.. The crew and Captain on the Sea were so gracious and entertaining to us 7..

The last one was the strangest.. NCL set the meet and greet for embarkation day at 4:00.. I told this would not work as we had requested the first day at sea as our meeting day.. It finally came to me telling NCL thanks but no thanks, we would meet on our own on the first day at sea.. On that day, my sis and I were at the Observatory lounge taking dance lessons, and I saw NCL setting up a meeting area on the port side of the lounge.. The I saw a sign that said "Cruise Critic".. I told the folks setting up the area my name and they said this is YOUR meeting.. So I stood in hallway to catch the cruise critic members to show them where we were meeting. It was a great meet and greet but totally unexpected. I wonder what would have happened if I had not been at the Observatory bar taking dance lessons..:p

We set M&G up once on the Dawn. They gave us Dazzles. Went there meeting time. They were setting up something else. No one knew a thing. Went to the desk and they knew nothing either.

Every other time, we had good turn outs at M&G's.

I do find people do not respond to invites on land too. You call them up and they say of course they are coming. Rude people all over.

We had the best CC roll call group on our Dawn Dec 7th sailing.

I'm in the group that think it should be optional even if you say you are going to come. Things happen, its a freestyle vacation ;)

The officers obviously had the time to come, I doubt they were seriously put off by having only six passengers there.

There have been times I've checked out the group from afar and then decided if I actually wanted to show up or not. ;) :rolleyes:

I'm in the group that think it should be optional even if you say you are going to come. Things happen, its a freestyle vacation ;)

The officers obviously had the time to come, I doubt they were seriously put off by having only six passengers there.

There have been times I've checked out the group from afar and then decided if I actually wanted to show up or not. ;) :rolleyes:

Everyone has his or her own views on things, but to me it is rude to accept and not show, freestyle or traditional cruising, This happened to us on our last HAL cruise. Very few showed. To think it is ok to say one thing and do another is typical of the "it's all about me" I know this may sound hard, but it is the way I feel. There are rare times when I can understand, but they are rare. NMNita

I was on the 1/14 Jewel cruise and, although I was not one of the people who said I would attend the Meet and Greet, I was hoping to be there. I think part of the problem was the timing. 11am Monday was the same time the Texas Holdem tournament was going on, which was the reason I couldn't attend. If we had thought of it my GF would have gone to the meet and greet but it slipped both of our minds as I was playing in the tournament and she was doing battle with a slot machine. :o

I was on the 1/14 Jewel cruise and, although I was not one of the people who said I would attend the Meet and Greet, I was hoping to be there. I think part of the problem was the timing. 11am Monday was the same time the Texas Holdem tournament was going on, which was the reason I couldn't attend. If we had thought of it my GF would have gone to the meet and greet but it slipped both of our minds as I was playing in the tournament and she was doing battle with a slot machine. :o

you didn't say you would be there; good for you and you had a reason for not being there. I agree the time isn't always the best: we had one, set up by Celebrity a few years ago that was out last at sea day: can you imagine how many no shows we had? I prefer the imformal MandG set up the very first night, with or without crew members. Even these have been bombing pretty bad the last couple of years. Too bad, it is a wonderful way to get to know some of your cruising mates and makes for a much more pleasant cruise. NMNita

Angeljt and Osiebosie--

Thanks for the info--I have setup a meet and greet on the Majesty 2-10-07 sailing--any tips or anything you can give me will be appreciated!! We are scheduled for the boardroom at 10:00 on Sunday.

Angeljt and Osiebosie--

Thanks for the info--I have setup a meet and greet on the Majesty 2-10-07 sailing--any tips or anything you can give me will be appreciated!! We are scheduled for the boardroom at 10:00 on Sunday.

Two years ago on the Star repo from LA to Vcr, there were quite a few of us signed up. Thanks to the person who set this up. Unfortunately, the date that was picked was also the day that they had the first of the past passenger parties. Because the room that we used was just inside of the show lounge, only the people that were to be at the party got in and those who were not couldn't join us. All in all about 15 of us had a great time and the captain and cruise director (Kieran Buffrey) stopped by. The cruise director even gave us his personal telephone number if we had any problems to get back to him. We also had a group photo of us and it turned out great. Lot's of memories.

to me it is rude to accept and not show, freestyle or traditional cruising, This happened to us on our last HAL cruise. Very few showed. To think it is ok to say one thing and do another is typical of the "it's all about me" I know this may sound hard, but it is the way I feel.

I'm sorry but it's a get-together party on a cruise ship, not some sort of major logistical event. And really, there is no formal "sign-up" procedure for NCL parties.

Trust me, back in the day when sites like these were new, I hosted my own "Meet & Greets" and was happy if anyone showed up.

I understand and respect your feelings however, just remember things happen. ;)

I was on the 10/09/05 Dawn cruise - I attended the M&G that was set up on the first morning- My DH wouldn't go- he is a bit shy with new people- I'm glad I made the decision to go- We got a personal tour of the "Garden" suite- Angeljt and her hubby also invited us back to see their suite- Great folks! I chatted with several nice people-- Well spent time!!

CruiseQueen10 for the post - brought back memories - am cruising again with Cruise More Often - Adele and Cliff in just over two weeks time - there won't be a M&G because so few people have responded to the thread.

Cheers

Dennis

I also agree that it is rude to make a commitment and then not make an appearance. I realize that the newness of your surroundings is very distracting and maybe the time just goes by and you forget about it. It's just disappointing investing your time in the roll-calls, arranging a meeting place, and chatting with fellow cruisers that you would have liked to meet only to have "no shows." I don't know what commitments are so pressing on a vacation that would trump bailing out on all the people who aided in answering your questions, offered their opinions, or shared some friendly conversation, only to disgaurd them for whatever reason. :(

Just MHO

Vince

There are two words that will insure attendance..........Garden Villa and Fee Booze...You will have to beat then away with a stick...:D :D

Fee booze doesn't attract me. Now if it were Free booze :D

Don't worry, we all realize that's what you meant. LOL

-Monte

Archived