Meet & Greet No-Shows

TrojanCruiser

I also agree that it is rude to make a commitment and then not make an appearance. I realize that the newness of your surroundings is very distracting and maybe the time just goes by and you forget about it. It's just disappointing investing your time in the roll-calls, arranging a meeting place, and chatting with fellow cruisers that you would have liked to meet only to have "no shows." I don't know what commitments are so pressing on a vacation that would trump bailing out on all the people who aided in answering your questions, offered their opinions, or shared some friendly conversation, only to disgaurd them for whatever reason. :(

Just MHO

Vince

Try to remember that these meetings are usually on the morning of the first sea day and some people do get sick. In addition, before boarding we have no idea what the ship has scheduled at the time of the meeting. If it is something a passenger is really interested in, the meeting will take second place. I have organized many meet and greet meetings and I never take offense if somebody doesn't show up. Everybody has different priorities and some people use the roll call merely to get information for their cruise which is the main function of this site. Don't sweat the small things.

Try to remember that these meetings are usually on the morning of the first sea day and some people do get sick.

Thats exactly what happened on out first Dawn Cruise...some people did show up wearing a lovely shade of green..:(

We have attended about 6 Meet and Greets. Sometimes many people showed up, sometimes just a few. Some of them were sponsored ones (by RCI & Celebrity), some we planned ourselves (Carinval and Princess) One thing we did on our last cruise (Celebrity in Europe) was bring a small exchange gift. This kind of helped to get people to come, I think, because if they brought something, they got something back. Who wanted to drag over a gift and then not even show up to exchange it? Someone mentioned that people may find something they'd rather do at the time of the get together. I also think that sometimes they get on the ship and chicken out, get busy or tired, and just decide to forget it. In the case of NCL, when they are having capts. and crew show up, it's really quite rude not to show up if you said you would. Popping in even for just 10 min. is something. The no-shows happen every time, but sometimes many people DO show up, though. If there are too many no-shows, I'm sure we can just forget NCL doing anything for us or any capts. showing up.

I organized a meet and greet on 1-13-07 at the bier garden on the spirit after the drill we were 5 of about 30 folks to meet and we chatted here for months talking about it it, we were on the bier garden deck and waited for about 15 minutes and no one showed up, I guess I will not do this again I even posted my cabin number and had a cruise critic poster on our cabin door no one noticed so I guess these meet and greets are a waste of energy to try to get together

Sorry to hear about your small turn-out peachcrek. On the Sun, last year in March we were at least 40 on the board who were actively posting and 35 showed up for the M&G. We had a great time, although there were no representatives of NCL available, cookies and coffee were provided. Many people planned to meet up for shore excursions, dinners, cocktails throughout the cruise.

I felt like I was meeting up with friends all over the ship. On the last night we had a farewell cocktail party in one of the bars at 5 pm. It was organized the same morning by two of us who just decided we should all get together one last time. We each told everyone we saw throughout the day and told them to tell anybody they saw. We ended up with about 20 of us. I'm sure we would have had more if we had cabin numbers but we had no way of finding everybody.

It was really fun to have so many CC critic friends, our roll call had been very active and very funny, maybe this had something to do with it?

On our 2005 Dawn Florida & Bahamas cruise we had a lively rollcall and again probably 50% to 70% turn out.

The following year 2006 on our Canada/ New England there were not as many participating in the rollcall and message posting was usually amongst a select few.

At the meet and greet, there were about a dozen of us, mainly those who had been conversing. Again about a 50% turn out. Some of us met for dinner that night and bumped into each other various times after that. It was great having some familiar faces on a ship of many people.

There were various reasons for not showing up. One assumed it would be 11pm not am, and another had been pre-occupied with a minor disaster where a mirror had fallen off the wall onto the bed while they were in it:eek:. They were seasoned Dawnisters, so the M&G will have taken second place.

As the organiser, if I were to do it again, I would take a leaf out of Shoreguy's book and program in additional opportunities to touch base, maybe first night at x oclock for drinks or mid cruise at xxxxx.

The problem with the M&G , is that if you miss it, for whatever reason, you don't get another chance to catch up and as most don't have internet access on ship, you can't contact people until it's all over.

As others have posted, it's a Meet & Greet, not a formal invitation, various people have many reasons why they may or may not attend. The ship's officers that turn up have seen all combinations, and will not have an opinion on the turn out, if they thought it was a waste of time, they wouldn't attend, they can show their faces and move on. It is a credit to the posters on this board that the staff are prepared to make a fuss of the CC meeting.

It's a great opportunity, I wouldn't miss it, but wouldn't knock those who choose to take a rain check.

I organized a meet and greet on 1-13-07 at the bier garden on the spirit after the drill we were 5 of about 30 folks to meet and we chatted here for months talking about it it, we were on the bier garden deck and waited for about 15 minutes and no one showed up, I guess I will not do this again I even posted my cabin number and had a cruise critic poster on our cabin door no one noticed so I guess these meet and greets are a waste of energy to try to get together

We were there after the drill also. We did meet "lvstocruise" and family. I was even wearing a Cruise Critic t-shirt. We didn't see you or anybody else. We stayed for a while and then watched the sail away.

I always enjoy meeting my fellow cruise critics at a meet and greet, and have had mixed success setting up something formal. I recently returned from the Tahitian Princess where I hosted a get together in my Owners Suite. It was at first kind of a joke, but eventually probably 20 posters, including the poster that orginally suggested I offer my suite said they, and their significant others, would be there.

I met with the food and beverage manager, set up to have a no host bar, and bartender in the suite, and bought enough canapes and shrimp for 30 people. Of course, only 16 actually showed up and one of the missing was the person who originally suggested my suite.:eek:

The people that did show up had a fantastic time, and we did enjoy each other's company for the following 10 days. It was fantastic meeting all of them. To me its just a shame that so many folks reply to the roll calls, and miss the chance to meet the folks they only know by a screen name.

Oh well, I'm at it again for our 30 March cruise on the Pearl. Check us out on the roll call board!:D

Angeljt and Osiebosie--

Thanks for the info--I have setup a meet and greet on the Majesty 2-10-07 sailing--any tips or anything you can give me will be appreciated!! We are scheduled for the boardroom at 10:00 on Sunday.

Sorry for the delay LGC, but I've been away.

When we were on the Majesty, they had a group of TA's that were having classes in the Boardroom and I believe that's why it was set up as a classroom. I don't think it is always set up that way, but I would suggest you take a walk down there earlier that morning so they could rearrange the tables and chairs if needed.

If I knew the set up ahead of time, we could have changed the meeting place to our cabin or one of the lounges also.

You may want to print up a sign to put on the door or window of the Boardroom also. Good luck, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Jackie

I always enjoy meeting my fellow cruise critics at a meet and greet, and have had mixed success setting up something formal. I recently returned from the Tahitian Princess where I hosted a get together in my Owners Suite. It was at first kind of a joke, but eventually probably 20 posters, including the poster that orginally suggested I offer my suite said they, and their significant others, would be there.

I met with the food and beverage manager, set up to have a no host bar, and bartender in the suite, and bought enough canapes and shrimp for 30 people. Of course, only 16 actually showed up and one of the missing was the person who originally suggested my suite.:eek:

The people that did show up had a fantastic time, and we did enjoy each other's company for the following 10 days. It was fantastic meeting all of them. To me its just a shame that so many folks reply to the roll calls, and miss the chance to meet the folks they only know by a screen name.

Oh well, I'm at it again for our 30 March cruise on the Pearl. Check us out on the roll call board!:D

Hi Chief,

Wow! Now that sounds like a nice set up! Enough shrimp for 30 people and 16 show up? That sounds like a dream I have once in awhile!:) That was nice of you to do that,

Dan:)

I was on the 10/09/05 Dawn cruise - I attended the M&G that was set up on the first morning- My DH wouldn't go- he is a bit shy with new people- I'm glad I made the decision to go- We got a personal tour of the "Garden" suite- Angeljt and her hubby also invited us back to see their suite- Great folks! I chatted with several nice people-- Well spent time!!

Hi Carol,

Hope all is well with you. It sure was a great cruise. Have you been back on the Dawn since then? We went in November/December 2006 along with Cheryl & Al, who we met at the CC meeting on our October 2005 cruise. We had a fantastic time. No OS this time since they were all taken when we booked. We're thinking about the Majesty again in June and possibly the Dawn repositioning in October. We'll see...

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...
I would sure be in attendance on our next cruise if there was a m&g. I have found so many of you to be so helpful, so many of you to be downright hilarious, and so many of you to be so nice to us new people! To meet those of you that I have been reading would be kind of nice.

A meeting the first day at sea sounds great. You are usually unpacked, muster drill is over, you've wandered around the boat to see where everything is...

But I do agree that if you have said you'll be somewhere, please show up. To those of you that are so kind as to organize these events, thank you for thinking of the rest of us and how much better you'll be making our trip!

Elaine

Its usually the first full day at sea, not the day of the muster drill

Who do you contact at NCL if you want to set up a "meet & greet"?

It would be on the Pearl for the cruise leaving Seattle on June 17, 2007.

I need the same question answered. Leaving on the Pearl 2/25 and our group wnts to set up a M & G.....Any help would be appreciated.

Engineer

I love the meet and greets. On our last two (the Jewel & the Star), the CD and other staff were there. Both times, we were able to get VIP tender tickets for all the ccers who showed up. So, not only did we get to meet all the folks we'd been chatting with on our roll call, but we also scored some goodies and got to spend time with the staff. I think the folks who are no-shows haven't been before and experienced all the fun of the m&g or they wouldn't want to miss them. :eek:

CruiseQueen10 for the post - brought back memories - am cruising again with Cruise More Often - Adele and Cliff in just over two weeks time - there won't be a M&G because so few people have responded to the thread.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey long time no hear. My family (7 of us) will be cruising to Alaska on the NCL Sun on August 19, 2007 to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday (3 daughters and 3 grandchildren). Where are you cruising to.

LGC,

We liked the way the boardroom was set up for the CC meeting. It was classroom style, and our "guests" stood at the front and talked and answered all of our questions. It wasn't conducive to mingling much, but there was some going on before our "guests" arrived. We did have a meet and greet right after our muster drill, and that's where we did alot of mingling. (What a funny word!)

But the classroom style encouraged us to ask alot of very interesting questions, and we got great answers that everyone could hear. We had our eyes opened to alot of "goings on" on cruise ships.

To anyone wanting to set up a CC meeting, just call NCL and tell them what ship you are interested in. They'll give you email info and you take it from there.

We had an awesome turnout for our meeting. It was just the great group we had. :D We had alot of conversations on our roll call. Not tooting my own horn, but I went over the list a couple of times (on the roll call) and had people "commit" to coming to the meeting. Like I said, this was a great group and those who committed showed up. I also had typed out a reminder before we left for the cruise, and on our first day, DH and I played postman and delivered the notes. But the purser's desk will do that for you, but you have to have the cabin numbers. But I wanted to do it myself to assure myself it got done properly.

I learned alot for my first time setting up a meeting. Just go for it!

Shay

My experience has also been that about half the people on the roll call actually show up. I don't expect those who didn't say they would attend to be there. Some people join the roll call just to get pre-cruise information and if they are part of a family group cannot readily socialize with others. Since the meeting is usually on the first sea days, some people may be sick. In addition, the ship may schedule something at that time that they feel is more important. Some people will sign on the roll call with a large group but only a few will represent the group at the meeting. Once the time and date are confirmed by NCL, I remind everyone that members of the ship's senior staff will attend.

Thanks for that Dolphins. I resent the insinuation that I am rude because I didn't show up at a Meet & Greet for a very good reason (Spirit 1/23/07). I would hazard that very few of the people know one anothers' full names and cabin numbers to notify them. Had I had that info, I would have gladly notified Jane or Marj or Laura or Terri or Dave. But, I didn't have it. Not only that, because there are crazies in the world many are reticent to divulge that information - I being one of them. Lighten up on your Emily Post ... I know her like the back of my hand. Let's talk about the pushing and shoving in Raffles or in the lines to get off the ship.

I arranged the meet & greet on the 1/21 Jewel sailing. NCL had recommended a time of 10:30 Monday, which seemed agreeable to several who responded on the Roll Call thread. They had coffee, juice, and rolls waiting for us in the Star Bar. DW and I were embarassed to be the only ones in the Star Bar when the Captain and senior staff showed up at about 10:40. Shortly after they left, 2 others showed up. We had a pleasant discussion, and one CC member gave us a tour of her courtyard villa suite. Ship coordinator Myra apparantly connected my email address (which includes my last name) with my reservation, and we had a CC welcome letter waiting for us in our cabin. Also got VIP hors douvres delivered to cabin every day, VIP tender tickets, and invite to Captain's cocktail party.

I arranged the meet & greet on the 1/21 Jewel sailing at the NCL recommended time of 10:30 Monday. They had coffee, juice, and rolls waiting for us. DW and I were embarassed to be the only ones in the Star Bar when the Captain and senior staff showed up at about 10:40. Shortly after they left, 2 others showed up. We had a pleasant conversation, and one CC member gave us a tour of her courtyard villa suite. Ship coordinator Myra apparantly connected my email address (which includes my last name) with my reservation, and we had a CC welcome letter waiting for us in our cabin. Also got VIP hors douvres delivered to cabin every day, VIP tender tickets, and invite to Captain's cocktail party.

Archived