Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Only a week till my SAGA RUBY trip 5 nighter from newcastle to amsterdam,le havre,zeebrugge. looking forwartd to trying out the saga group. had an upgrade as i 1st time cruiser on saga. doing the visit on EURODAM next saturday and a short cruise on her in oct. dave

I was a "1st time cruiser" on Saga in 2005 to Far North and all I got to show for it was an inside cabin that had so many hardware problems that I was upgraded to a Cat D - a huge outside cabin with a fridge. Be sure to come back and give us your impressions of the ship. By the bye, I didn't know there was a "Saga Ruby" Roll Call until I saw your note. Cool!

Have a wonderful cruise on Saga and bon voyage, Dave.

Ruby

Even the apartment barges have a top sun deck, where you can stand at the stern to watch the wake - albeit from a long way up!! I do find the promenade decks are narrow with chairs rather than sunbeds/steamer chairs...not conducive to a relaxed afternoon watching the water. The best promenade decks I have seen are on Aurora and Oriana.

734730198_055InMediterranean.jpg.b11bccb36a494eadf975d6271b9fe22d.jpg

482171017_Ship-Promenadedeckatnight.jpg.677f40ffb8a7f3a2473e17122f131cf9.jpg

I do find the promenade decks are narrow with chairs rather than sunbeds/steamer chairs...not conducive to a relaxed afternoon watching the water. The best promenade decks I have seen are on Aurora and Oriana.

Thanks for the photos. Which ship(s) are these photos from? Your most recent Med cruise? I've never seen chairs like that before on a promenade deck.

I dread deck chairs disappearing from the high seas before I do. I am not comfortable lounging about on a pool deck with all the aquatic noise and crowds. I'm always looking for the tranquil, uncrowded places where I can pretend to read a book and watch the seas pass by under our keel. By the bye, has anyone bought and used a Kindle - the e-book from Amazon?

Ruby

Bad news, Ruby ... CC's report on the new NCL 150,000-ton, 4,200-passenger apartment barges included this sentence: Space-wasting features such as multi-deck atriums and promenades are abolished.

No more promenades? Egad!!!

Donald.

Bad news, Ruby ... CC's report on the new NCL 150,000-ton, 4,200-passenger apartment barges included this sentence: Space-wasting features such as multi-deck atriums and promenades are abolished.

No more promenades? Egad!!!

Donald.

ARGHHHHHHHH! I love to sit on a promenade deck, even if it is cold. Well wrapped up in a blanket, maybe listening to music or reading - heaven.

Ruby - the pictures are Oriana (left) in 2005 and Aurora (right)2004. Not many promenade decks are broad enough to take a sunbed. QE2 is slightly different in that she has a boat deck rather than a promenade deck, right at the top of the ship, much like the old-fashioned liners. I love this since it is open to the sky, apart from under the lifeboats/tenders - as below.

What is a kindle by the way?

2030022005_007QE2.jpg.8ee77b9fd8b1f48802c3fac4f2d0e18d.jpg

By the bye, has anyone bought and used a Kindle - the e-book from Amazon?

If a Kindle is the electronic book which is read from a handheld device - no, I don't have one. I prefer an actual book, even if it weighs slightly more.

Donald.

Bad news, Ruby ... CC's report on the new NCL 150,000-ton, 4,200-passenger apartment barges included this sentence: Space-wasting features such as multi-deck atriums and promenades are abolished. No more promenades? Egad!!! Donald.

[Lightbulb] I now realize that, in the not-so-distant future, "our" current ships will be spoken about with the same nostalgia and warm feelings that Normandie and all the other classic luxury ocean liners are referred to in today's times. The Saga Sisters and Marco Polo will be fondly remembered as will QE2.

Where will the young people who adore those new behemoths turn when they age out of high energy, high excitement, shopping-mall ships? Will the mass market population always want a New York City park instead of a promenade deck? Will future passengers like sailing in a ship so large that it could run down a Saga Sister on the high seas and barely feel a bump?

Ruby

Ruby, I peered at my crystal ball and have determined that the travel industry as we know it now can be in danger of implosion. Airlines will be the first to go, with rising fuel costs, nickel-and-diming of passengers, and increasingly onerous security measures and luggage restrictions.

Cruise lines will have to start to use other ports to put their ships in closer proximity to people who will increasingly use their cars, Amtrak or Greyhound. Baltimore, Boston, New Orleans, New York and Galveston are some of these ports.

Opinions, anyone?

Donald.

I can't help feeling that with money becoming increasingly tight, rising fuel costs etc, that some of the apartment barges will be sailing half full soon. That cannot be economic. Whereas a smaller ship could cost less to run and probably be full every time. There is also the problem of port overload. As in the Caribbean, some smller Mediterraean ports are seeing 6-7 ships in at one time. If those ships all carry 3000 - 6000 passengers, the ports will not cope. Dubrovnik is a case in point. The main town is walled. It can only take so many visitors. I think a serious rethink is on the cards regarding these huge new ships. I sometimes wonder if the designers have even been on a cruise.

There are some incredible bargains now (if only I had the time and money to take some up !). I am going to see what next year brings before I book much.

I'm now officially confused - why would the QE2 allow open flames for flambé on a ship when I've been told over and over that open flames nowadays are a no-no? If they can flambé a crêpe, why can't they char a steak?
I don't know why, but they do.

For that matter, HAL offers flambés as well. Or at least did very recently. Last time I sailed with HAL (2005), there was one every night in the main dining room.

So I guess it's not that open flames are a not complete no-no so much as that they are only used very carefully in controlled environments. Certainly, many ships carry crème brulée torches - though they are usually locked up when not in use. (For that matter, there is even welding done on board, albeit very carefully.)

Now, one thing I can say is that every ship I have been on has had electric burners. Entirely aside from fire safety, for practical reasons gas on a ship would be rather difficult. :)

Doug, where you on a cruise? Do tell.
No, unfortunately I have been home but just very busy.

Attached you will see a daylight photo of my hotel in Istanbul, Sumahan on the Water. The lady is a professor's wife. I am hoping that, when you sail past this hotel, you can capture a photo of the entire facility which used to be a raki (liquor) factory. I loved this hotel altho' it is out of the Sultan Ahmet - or any - tourist area. My joy was to open the French windows and watch the constant ship traffic passing by then making their ponderous turn into the Black Sea.

For the week I was at Sumahan, every day tourist boats and private watercraft would idle off the dock of the hotel and evidently tell the tourists the history of the hotel. I had as much fun at Sumahan as I did the entire week in Istanbul.

I hope you will be able to get a photo of this hotel because I'm curious to see what y'all see. I don't even know if you can find it as you sail past, but the curiously-coloured lighthouse may help. Fingers crossed!

Ruby

1192803775_SumahanontheWater.jpg.225ae02fef12f3a247b5ba9be3d00551.jpg

Attached you will see a daylight photo of my hotel in Istanbul, Sumahan on the Water. The lady is a professor's wife. I am hoping that, when you sail past this hotel, you can capture a photo of the entire facility which used to be a raki (liquor) factory. I loved this hotel altho' it is out of the Sultan Ahmet - or any - tourist area. My joy was to open the French windows and watch the constant ship traffic passing by then making their ponderous turn into the Black Sea.

For the week I was at Sumahan, every day tourist boats and private watercraft would idle off the dock of the hotel and evidently tell the tourists the history of the hotel. I had as much fun at Sumahan as I did the entire week in Istanbul.

I hope you will be able to get a photo of this hotel because I'm curious to see what y'all see. I don't even know if you can find it as you sail past, but the curiously-coloured lighthouse may help. Fingers crossed!

Ruby

I'll give it a go Ruby, assuming we sail past in daylight. I am just trying to persuade two friends that they want to travel to New York, Boston and Halifax next June/July on QM2. I would like to try her the once at least, even if she is huge! and I don't have a hope unless I can find someone to share with. A three berth cabin would bring the price down nicely! I just love the New England Canada cruises.

There's a thought for you Ruby, as you are tired of long haul flights - QM2 to Southampton, cruise to wherever, sail back to NY!!

Fran - what are your thoughts about a new cruise line for your travels? I know you're watching Aegean I and you have your free cruise on a behemoth coming up - is that Janauary? Or are you watching Marco Polo to see if you might want to return?

Donald - I see you have an Alaskan cruise next summer, but am worried that you might need relief from the Vancouver winter. Any plans?

Ross - is preparing for his Jewel of the Seas annual cruise in October, toughing it out in the Royal Suite.

And Conte is due to go skipping out the door soon on two, count 'em, two different cruises. So of course I was feeling left out.

Although I have booked Prinsendam for next May which is a Black Sea/Ukraine adventure, today I have signed up for Corinthian II on expedition to Antarctica in January 2010. It suddenly occurred to me that, on an Antarctica cruise, there will be no shore guides, taxi drivers, heat, foreign currencies, or air pollution to be dealt with. My sole responsibility will be to compare Far South icebergs to Far North icebergs and penguins to polar bears.

I think it will be fun to sail with a ship's complement of 114 pax with 72 crew. Give or take a bit of bouncing around and coolish weather, this cruise should be quite relaxing. I looked at Minerva, Explorer and Endeavour, and Prince Albert II, but for reasons of space, price, and a "nice" suite, I'm satisfied with my choice. Isn't it loverly to have the Internet to do all this wonderful research that shows us detailed ship photos, positive and negative reviews? Making travel plans is so much easier nowadays with the advantage of the Web.

I'm happy that I got assigned cabin D329 on Corinthian II and they promise they will not change that booking. That cabin and D330 are the first to sell out on any of their cruises and I will be onboard in January which surprised me. I told the booking agent that I didn't care about the date, I cared about the cabin!

As a solo passenger in years past, I have grown accustomed to being denied a cabin because I am not, by definition, two people. And I certainly never get an upgrade because, after all, it is "only" one person. Anyone else run into that aggravating situation?

Ruby

Donald - I see you have an Alaskan cruise next summer, but am worried that you might need relief from the Vancouver winter. Any plans?

And I certainly never get an upgrade because, after all, it is "only" one person. Anyone else run into that aggravating situation?

Ruby

As for next Summer, do you mean September 2009 on Zuiderdam? Funny, I don't follow the official season dates, as here in Vancouver we regard Summer as June to August and Spring as September to May. We don't really have Fall and Winter seasons. I will be on Mercury in the Caribbean in December 2009. After that, I must renew my passport, so I probably won't make any bookings until I have the new passport in my hands. One never knows how long it goes with government bureaucracy.

I've twice received upgrades as a solo passenger on Holland-America - on the stormy Zaandam cruise and recently on Ryndam. Not on my favourite cruise line, Celebrity, though.

Donald.

Lots of rumours about Saga Cruisings' "new" small ship. They have now announced "Quest for Adventure" 18591tons 450pax as a sister for "Spirit of Adventure" Inaugural cruise in July 2009 (Won't be going as already booked on Spirit) The new ship was apparently launched in 1981. Does anyone (e.g. Doug) know what she was before? (Maybe the Astoria?)

The new Saga ship was originally built in 1981 as the Astor for a German cruise operator. In 1985 it became the Arkona and in 2002 it was renamed Astoria. I believe it currently sails for another German cruise operator called Transocean.

CONGRATULATIONS RUBY!!!

I always thought you would be a good candidate for an Antarctic exploration. Sounds like you have found a winner...go for it!!!

Yes...I will be dragging myself and my entourage to the Boston pier in October. I will be in charge of 12 pieces of luggage and a wheelchair. I get all the work and they have all the fun...I'll just have to tough it out...LOL. Sometimes I feel like a glorified porter...OH WELL.

Ross

today I have signed up for Corinthian II on expedition to Antarctica in January 2010. It suddenly occurred to me that, on an Antarctica cruise, there will be no shore guides, taxi drivers, heat, foreign currencies, or air pollution to be dealt with. My sole responsibility will be to compare Far South icebergs to Far North icebergs and penguins to polar bears.

What a wonderful adventure to look forward to, Ruby. Enjoy the anticipation. No doubt you'll be well read on the Antarctica prior to your departure.

ships cat - You should try QM2 at least once. She is huge, but I quite like her.

Next time on her I would like to do a crossing though - if there are ports involved, I prefer something smaller. Much smaller. Tendering on a ship QM2's size is not fun.

Ruby - Congratulations on your Antarctica cruise!

I think NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER would have been my choice, purely because of the personal experience with Lindblad that several friends of mine have had. I am sure CORINTHIAN II will be delightful, though.

engineer38 - It is ASTORIA. Apparently she is going to be renamed QUEST FOR ADVENTURE, which I think is a rather silly-sounding name for a ship.

On another note, I think many on this thread will be interested to see this if you haven't yet!

On another note, I think many on this thread will be interested to see this if you haven't yet!

"Much like the former company's beloved Marco Polo, the "new" Orient Lines plans to acquire vessels that are rich in history and character and that can carry 600 to 800 passengers in great comfort and safety to all seven continents."

So what's the rumour as to the new/old ship for the "new" Orient lines? Why didn't Wayne Heller buy Marco Polo instead of letting it go over to Transocean? Did he already have a ship under his belt to use for the new Orient Lines? It was only recently that Fran's beloved ship went to the new owners and it was no secret what was occurring.

So Wayne Heller was waiting for the transfer so he could revive Orient Lines and claim ownership? How many ships exist that fulfill his shopping list?

I don't like the name "Quest for Adventure" but I didn't like "Oasis" either. However, paying for a British cruise in Pound Sterling pushes up the price quite a lot from this side of The Pond so, regardless of a new Saga acquisition, I don't think I will be a Saga pax in the foreseeable future.

Ruby

I must admit the announcement took me by surprise (I heard about it this morning and was surprised, and then was surprised again when it was announced since I didn't know it was going to be announced today). I didn't even know who Wayne Heller was until today, so I can't speculate on his reasons for the timing of this deal.

I know in the case of Swan Hellenic, Lord Sterling, the former chairman of P&O, was going to buy it whole (including MINERVA II, ex R EIGHT, now ROYAL PRINCESS) from Carnival but it did not work out. Eventually he acquired the name only for very little money and then teamed up with All Leisure Holidays to re-launch it.

It may be that Star was not willing to sell at a price Mr. Heller liked a year ago - or perhaps he was not interested.

He certainly did not already have a ship, though presumably he intends to bought one very soon. A name has been suggested to me as a ship he wants to buy (or has bought?) but I am not going to say anything publicly yet.

I loved Orient Lines and do wish it had been sold as a going concern, but I will be interested to see how this develops.

Fran - what are your thoughts about a new cruise line for your travels? I know you're watching Aegean I and you have your free cruise on a behemoth coming up - is that January? Or are you watching Marco Polo to see if you might want to return?

Yes Ruby it is January for my behemoth sailing but now thanks to Doug I just received the news that the Orient Lines Brand has been purchased by Wayne Heller who is planning great things. I will wait to hear from them.

I do believe that my MP days are over. Nothing can compare with beautiful memories. It never seems to stand up to it. This will be another ship with a new relationship.

If I am dreaming, please don't awaken me.

Thanks Doug for putting fireworks into my day. The colours and sparkle are delightful.

I just got an e-mail from a friend from my MP days and she referred to the Oasis OTS as Obesity of the Seas. What a chuckle!

I do believe that my MP days are over. Nothing can compare with beautiful memories. It never seems to stand up to it. This will be another ship with a new relationship.

I just got an e-mail from a friend from my MP days and she referred to the Oasis OTS as Obesity of the Seas. What a chuckle!

Same with me, after Mercury eventually follows Galaxy out of the Celebrity fleet, I wouldn't be interested in sailing on a rebranded Mercury. The memories just won't be there any more.

As for Oasis, didn't you mean Obscenity of the Seas? ;) Other names I can think of for future OTS apartment barges: Mammoth of the Seas, Labyrinth of the Seas, Colossus of the Seas, and Monolith of the Seas.

Donald.