Hal's New Dress Codes

kakalina

This has been an interesting thread as the whole formal dress-up thing has been an issue for my wife and I as we look at a round trip cruise out of Seattle (we live about an hour north of Seattle) on the Noordam to Alaska the first part of August.

I can understand and appreciate that folks like to dress up and that it is cruise tradition etc however, my wife and I will not be doing the suit w/tie, long gown deal on our vacation. Having said that, we understand there are rules and are not the type of people who would attempt to wear jeans to a dinner just because we may want to.

Thanks

Wayne---------> obviously fashion challenged. :)

Wayne;

For what it's worth, my family and I cruised to Alaska last summer on HAL's Zaandam. On casual nights, there were quite a few people in the main dining room wearing jeans. We also observed passengers wearing jeans and casual attire throughout the ship, including the showroom, after dinner, whether it was a casual evening or not.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, simply stating what I observed.

Karin

I keep reading people referring to "nice jeans", and discussion about how fashionable "jeans" are more and more acceptable at nice restaurants etc. Can someone explain what "nice jeans" would be for men and women? I am not a fashion maverick by any stretch of the imagination but am trying to figure out what "fashionable jeans" really are? The jeans I have are Lee jeans or carhart jeans, neither of which I would consider "nice". I would never attempt to wear any sort of jean to a formal night affair but was wondering if you see folks in "nice jeans" during the casual night dinning?

Maybe "nice jeans" for men would simply be black in color vs the traditional blue jeans? [shrug]

Thanks

Wayne---------> obviously fashion challenged. :)

CE--

Lee's or Carhart's are work jeans - the type you don't mind wearing when you crawl under the car to change the oil or to wash the dog...

For shipboard or other semi-dressy occassions think Diesel, Kenneth Cole, the more expensive/dark (but not destroyed) Levi's, G-Star, Seven for All Mankind, Guess - the brands of jeans that you'd pick up at Macy's or Nordstrom and expect to pay at least $75 a pair if not more for. Make sure the fit is slightly more snug than you'd wear for work - this is more about style than comfort (nothing worse than baggy jeans) Be sure to stay away from Black, Grey or other "colored" jeans - they just aren't done anymore - but some discrete fading or "whiskers" are OK. Bring your wife/GF and ask her to help you choose a pair that fits correctly - or ask the salesgirl to help you choose the right style/fit for you.

Pair them up with a nice dress-shirt, loafers and a blazer and you'll be suitable for almost anyplace (that's not formal)

;)

Brian......Fabulous answer but I think if CornerExit were going to that amount of care and attention in selecting his jeans and shirt and putting on a jacket to look as 'sharp' as you do at all times, he probably wouldn't be asking.

Please correct me if I am wrong and please accept I say this with full respect, Corner Exit.......I'm not sure you wish to dress the way Brian described.

(Though if you could see how 'fab' he looks, you just might change your mind and go for it. :) )

Brian......Fabulous answer but I think if CornerExit were going to that amount of care and attention in selecting his jeans and shirt and putting on a jacket to look as 'sharp' as you do at all times, he probably wouldn't be asking.

Please correct me if I am wrong and please accept I say this with full respect, Corner Exit.......I'm not sure you wish to dress the way Brian described.

Wow! You are getting a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions here, hope you feel better about yourself now.

I admit I'm not as knowledgeable about fashion jeans. Mostly because I spend most of my life in a suit and tie. Suit and tie for work, suit and tie for entertaining with clients during the evenings and on weekends etc. And that is the very reason we won't be bringing suits and ties or tuxedos. Given how much time I've spent in a suit the last 23 years, the very last thing I want to do on my vacation is put a tie on just to go to dinner at night.

The only time I wear my jeans is when working around the place during my off time, so the carharts or whatever rack levis work just fine. We don't get to wear jeans to work, no matter how fancy they are.

Thanks Brian,

I'll head over to Nordstroms and look for the fancy jeans.

Wayne

Wayne......I don't know a thing about fashion jeans. I wouldn't know a great, fashionable pair from one that is past season.

My point, though I stated it poorly I admit, is simply that I get the impression that you wish to be comfortable and casual on your cruise and are seeking info as to venues where you will not need to dress above a certain degree of 'dressiness' and that is fine. I think you are being considerate and respectful in your approach to determining where a certain level of dress is expected. If you didn't care about others, you wouldn't be asking. You would simply appear in the dining room less than appropriate to the code for the evening.

There is NOTHING wrong with not wishing to dress. I don't mean to imply there is. I actually applaud you for asking these questions.

Perhaps you jumped to a few conclusions about me????

As You Wish Dining and As You Wish Dressing -- all in one cruise!

Sounds more and more like Freestyle Cruising - NCL.

B

It only took the passengers a short year and a half to totally trash any semblance of attire on NCL. Dungarees with hammer loops are not uncommon for dinner on an NCL ship and as for Tuxes - maybe twenty out of a potential male population of 1,100. Hopefully the HAL passeneger consist will hold out a bit longer.

Once you give the average American vacationer the smalles opening they will try to drive a Hummer through it.

CE--

Lee's or Carhart's are work jeans - the type you don't mind wearing when you crawl under the car to change the oil or to wash the dog...

For shipboard or other semi-dressy occassions think Diesel, Kenneth Cole, the more expensive/dark (but not destroyed) Levi's, G-Star, Seven for All Mankind, Guess - the brands of jeans that you'd pick up at Macy's or Nordstrom and expect to pay at least $75 a pair if not more for. Make sure the fit is slightly more snug than you'd wear for work - this is more about style than comfort (nothing worse than baggy jeans) Be sure to stay away from Black, Grey or other "colored" jeans - they just aren't done anymore - but some discrete fading or "whiskers" are OK. Bring your wife/GF and ask her to help you choose a pair that fits correctly - or ask the salesgirl to help you choose the right style/fit for you.

Pair them up with a nice dress-shirt, loafers and a blazer and you'll be suitable for almost anyplace (that's not formal)

;)

I would think more in the line of Ralph Lauren if one must wear jeans in public rather than simply under the car on a Saturday morning.

I admit I'm not as knowledgeable about fashion jeans. Mostly because I spend most of my life in a suit and tie. Suit and tie for work, suit and tie for entertaining with clients during the evenings and on weekends etc. And that is the very reason we won't be bringing suits and ties or tuxedos. Given how much time I've spent in a suit the last 23 years, the very last thing I want to do on my vacation is put a tie on just to go to dinner at night.

So do you wear the S&T to entertain clients because you like to - or because it's expected? Because it is expected when you dine in the DR on formal night....

:)

Herb, we've got to whine about something!

Otherwise, we'd be bored! :D ;)

I think what some (myself included) are concerned about is that these changes will make it easier for people to become more sloppy than just the very few who already ignore the code ... to the point that those of us who are dressed "appropriately" will eventually be the ones who are out of place or conspicuous. Unlike some people, who "hold court" and enjoy being the center of attention, many of us would rather blend in and don't want to start blending in by dressing "down."

If HAL goes the way of NCL, you will indeed stand out like a sore thumb. I have given up on NCL because simply wearing a blazer and slacks even without a tie put me in such a small minority that I really felt out of place sort of like one feels if one ends up in McDonalds when dressed up for a business meeting and needs a fast snack.

Unlike some people, who "hold court" and enjoy being the center of attention, many of us would rather blend in and don't want to start blending in by dressing "down."

Since when did you start "blending in"?

;) :D

I am going on my first cruise in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to it, in particular for a change from the day-to-day clothing regimen. I’m planning to dress up instead of down. I seldom get to wear my tuxedo and I don’t plan to miss this opportunity. In fact, I chose Holland America in part because they have a reputation of being a bit more formal than some of the other lines. Hope they are going to hold strictly to the tradition of formal nights as some in this thread seem to think.

Mrs. Briny likes to dress up occasionally, too, and there is no way I would embarrass her by wearing casual or informal clothes on formal evenings. Besides, she always tells me how cute I look in my tux. I don’t believe her for a minute, but I still like to hear it.

Full disclosure: I no longer wear a business suit every day, although I did until I retired a few years ago. I don’t think that would make a difference in my decision, though. The issue for me is taking a break from the routine, and really doing it up on formal nights is the way I want to go. Also, my tux trousers are among the lightest, most comfortable items of clothing I own – much more so than any pair of jeans I have.

If you didn't care about others, you wouldn't be asking. You would simply appear in the dining room less than appropriate to the code for the evening.

Or, he would attempt to "simply appear" in the dining room. Jeans without jacket on formal night may well get one denied entrance to the main dining room ... at least, it might if the Noordam's current Dining Room Manager is still aboard by that time.

LOL ... point taken.

I DO try to "blend in" when it comes to clothing, though. :) I'll press the margin upward on casual nights with a jacket ... and especially so if I note a lot of other men wearing jackets on casual nights. And, I may well wear a tie or clerics on informal night (and, in the future, some casual nights) if I feel like it. But, otherwise, I prefer to be fairly "conventional" ... within the limits of my vocation, of course. :)

............2. The policy says something about covering the "public areas" as well for dress codes. What are considered "public areas"? And, are said public areas only covered under dress code policy during dinner times?

Thanks

Wayne---------> obviously fashion challenged............ :)

Well Wayne, the public area's of the body are generally referred to as the upper torso, arms included, the lower torso including but not limited to......the limbs, and, last but certainly not least, les pieds or more commonly known as the feet and/or manual propulsion power, Mark I. Please note that the cranium is not included here - no need to wear a chapeau on formal nights!

All said public area's will need to be covered during the hours of darkness on all dam ships. Hope, that was helpful to you!;)

Well Wayne, the public area's of the body are generally referred to as the upper torso, arms included, the lower torso including but not limited to......the limbs, and, last but certainly not least, les pieds or more commonly known as the feet and/or manual propulsion power, Mark I. Please note that the cranium is not included here - no need to wear a chapeau on formal nights!

All said public area's will need to be covered during the hours of darkness on all dam ships. Hope, that was helpful to you!;)

I am teary-eyed with this one.

Believe me, people would want my public areas covered... :)

So do you wear the S&T to entertain clients because you like to - or because it's expected? Because it is expected when you dine in the DR on formal night....

It is expected when working with clients.

As far as it being expected when dining in the DR on formal nights, I realize that. Note from my first post, "Having said that, we understand there are rules and are not the type of people who would attempt to wear jeans to a dinner just because we may want to."

And, again, note from my original post my questions revolved around clarifying the policies and identifying what our options are for NOT doing the formal night in the dinning room. Just because we don't particularly care for formal night in this case doesnt mean we are going to break the rules or guidelines. We will just have to find alternatives within the existing guidelines, as I was asking in the original post.

Brian, dear ... in another thread's off-topic remarks, you state:

I still see most men fairly conservatively dressed aboard - you know the look: Polo Shirt or Button-down Shirt & Khakis - with or without a Blazer (depending on Casual or Informal nights) - or Suit and Tie/straightforward Black Tux for Formal Nights.

That me. :) Hence ... yes ... I like blending in. :D ;)

Say I put on smart casual during the formal night

Will I be thrown over board

Sent to my room

Are there clothes police

Hey I am paying the bill

I work all year with a suit on

I am on vacation

Formal nights should go away

Had a great time on the Oceania

No formal nights

No set seating for meals

It a vacation not a wedding

jazzyman

Say I put on smart casual during the formal night

Will I be thrown over board

Sent to my room

Are there clothes police

Hey I am paying the bill

I work all year with a suit on

I am on vacation

Formal nights should go away

Had a great time on the Oceania

No formal nights

No set seating for meals

It a vacation not a wedding

jazzyman,

You will not be thrown overboard. However, be advised that on the Noordam in January of this year many tables near the doors on the upper level observed people who were inappropriately dressed on Formal Nights being sent away to dress properly. One fellow, whom we called "Bandanna Man" (for obvious reasons) tended to come to dinner every night in far less than the Dress Code "requested" by the Line. On the second formal night he attempted to enter the main dining room in jeans and a t-shirt and was stopped by the stewards on door duty and asked to return to his cabin and obtain a jacket and tie. Those of us at those tables near the door, who realized that the fellow was being sent back because he wasn't properly dressed, broke out in a round of applause. There were dozens of witnesses. Yes, there was a degree of humiliation involved for him, and while he tended to be a bit sour he was nevertheless a fairly decent sport about it. When he was leaving, as he walked passed our tables, he clapped in response for us. So, we applauded back. :)

So ... my suggestion is to at least put on slacks and a jacket for formal night. Please. As Ruth says, you booked your cruise on a Line with a dress code; it's not too much to ask. True, it may not be your wedding, but it may be someone else's wedding, honeymoon, or 50th Wedding Anniversary (i.e., it may be someone else's "big dead," and those who dress in eye-sore clothing on formal night may well detract from the celebratory atmosphere which HAL is trying to generate on Formal Nights with the Dress Code).

Archived