Hal's New Dress Codes

kakalina

OK, Brian and Greg....you guys crack me up with what you bring for a cruise.:eek: I guess you're right.....the new rules won't save either of you any space or weight in your luggage.

But you have to realize that some of us attempt to travel as lightly as possible and limit ourselves to one suitcase. We're older than you, and when we fight with suitcases, the suitcases usually win.

So we travel with one bag and one carryon apiece for 7-10 day cruises. Anything longer, we add a small rolling garment bag. And you'd be surprised what we can get into those cases....but sometimes we test the weight limit. Eliminating a man's sports coat, a couple of shirts, and a pair of slacks could make the difference.

So in the future maybe we can avoid standing in front of the check-in counter with our suitcases open shuffling around clothes to try to offset a 3-pound overage that was going to cost us $50. I'm sure the other people in line will appreciate it.;)

It seems to me that old dress code or new, the code specifies the minimum acceptable standards, this would infer that one can always dress higher than the minimum. If you enjoy dressing to the nines go for it. I love to dress up and truly enjoy seeing others wearing their "Sunday go to meetin' clothes".

It seems to me that old dress code or new, the code specifies the minimum acceptable standards, this would infer that one can always dress higher than the minimum. If you enjoy dressing to the nines go for it. I love to dress up and truly enjoy seeing others wearing their "Sunday go to meetin' clothes".

Oh but Trish, that Green number of yours is a little more than Sunday go to meetin' wear ;) :D Hey guys she looks quite spiffy:) but don't let her DH see ya looking:eek: :)

Greg that would be great if you could post some pictures here.. I have been waiting to see if you or Brian was going to post a review of your last cruise.. I tune in daily and run to this board first thing.. Even if no review, pictures would be awesome !!

Thank you

Rhonda

On our Westerdam cruise in December the "new" evening dress code was in effect - two formal nights, five casual (though there was no mention of the elimination of informal nights in our cruise documents). That was fine with us but after almost forty cruises on many different lines, this cruise seemed to be the worst with respect to passengers ignoring the dress code - even a new, more relaxed one. Jeans, shorts, tee shirts, sweatsuits, sneakers, flip-flops, caps - you name it and someone wore it to dinner in the dining room, even on formal nights. Frankly, I don't think the cruise industry is ready or willing to address the issue of passengers who, despite what the cruise line may suggest, simply dress as they wish, or those who think "casual" means backyard slop.

Speaking of dress codes:

A traveler became lost in the desert region of Algeria. Realizing his only chance for survival was to find civilization, he began walking. Time passed, and he became thirsty. More time passed, and he began feeling faint. Reduced to crawling, he was on the verge of passing out when he spied a tent about 500 meters in front of him. Barely conscious, he reached the tent and called out, Water... Water…

A bedouin appeared in the tent door and replied sympathetically, I am sorry, sir, I have no water. However, would you like to buy a $100 tie?

With this, he brandished a collection of exquisite silken neckwear.

You fool," gasped the man. I'm dying! I need water!

Well, sir, replied the bedouin, If you really need water, there is a tent about 2 kilometers south of here where you can get some.

Without knowing how, the man summoned sufficient strength to drag his parched body the four hour distance to the second tent. With his last ounce of strength he tugged at the door of the tent and collapsed.

Another bedouin, dressed in an expensive tuxedo, appeared at the door and enquired, May I help you sir?

Water... Water… was the feeble reply.

Oh, sir, replied the bedouin, I'm sorry, but you can't come in here without a tie!

I shall continue to sparkle at night. :)
Ruth - you will ALWAYS sparkle - I can't imagine you any other way. :D

Well, this new plan might help with the packing for our next cruise. We won't have to bring a sport coat for DH (probably will anyway), but it looks like we'll now have 6(?) formal nights to pack for on our 20 days, rather than 4 formal and 4 informal.

Times have changed. I've seen pictures of my mother wearing that type of outfit to a picnic in the early 60's :D

Although we're definitely not big fans of Formal night on a cruise we do go along with it.

Proof ;)

348%3C%3A6%3B7%3A%7Ffp339%3Enu%3D3274%3E94%3B%3E885%3EWSNRCG%3D3233983%3B%3B%3A%3C%3A4nu0mrj

There are those who may not want to adhere to the dress recommendations but those guests are truly a minority and have never in any way ruined our evening.

You two look stunning.....love your wifes outfit

I agree with RuthC, I sparkle every night and will continue to dress that way, no matter how much they change the "dress codes". I mean how hard is it to put on dress pants and a sparkly top, certainly no harder then putting on jeans and a tee-shirt.

And that's exactly as it should be. I don't understand what all the hallaballoo is about shipboard dress codes. Sure, maintain some standards. But so what if the minimums of the formal dress code have now been pretty much relegated to what used to be the informal ones? If you are seated at a table with your friends, and you guys want to dress to the nines, why not? If anything, it will make you stand out and be admired for your good taste.

What I would hope, though, is that now that the formal dress code has been liberalized, its minimums will be strictly enforced. I also see this as another of HAL's attempts to be all things to all people. There are people who don't like to wear gowns ... maybe don't have them ... maybe don't want to lug them on the airplane to get to the embarkation port. So, now those people can be comfortable onboard, while those who want to gussy up to the max can do that as well. After all, if HAL dumbs down the formal dress code, does that mean you HAVE to as well?

Set your own standard for style, and then enjoy it. To heck with what others in the dining room are doing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Speaking of the "old days", I remember being told that "over-dressing" was more a sign of bad manners than "under-dressing".

????? ... really? I go back pretty far and I was never told this. In fact, quite the opposite. Growing up we were told that you could never go wrong with a jacket and tie for a man and a hat and a nice, new spring coat for the ladies.

Whatever happened to spring coats anyway? I remember getting one every Spring just before Easter along with my pretty new hat:D .

The good ole days ......;)

:) Heather........Seems we grew up in close to the same atmosphere as that is exactly what we were taught as well.

I have a hard time reading the word 'formal' and thinking a lady in a long, simple gown is 'over-dressed'. HAL can define it in whatever way it wants. It's their ships; their dining rooms.

But, formal is formal is formal......to me. How can a lady in a sparkly top and long skirt feel out of place when dressed for a proclaimed "formal night"?

Just hot off the printer from my source at headquarters is the new dress code listed below:

Based on feedback from our guests, a new dress code will be put in place on all ships in our fleet effective with specific spring 2007 departure dates (noted below).

OVERVIEW

Dress code will be reduced from three definitions (Formal, Informal and Casual) to two (Formal and Smart Casual).

NEW DEFINITIONS

Formal:

For ladies, cocktail dresses or suits are appropriate.

For gentlemen, jacket and tie are required. Dark suit or tuxedo suggested.

Smart Casual:

For ladies, casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear are appropriate.

For gentlemen, slacks and collared shirts are suggested. No shorts, t-shirts or tank tops please.

FORMAL NIGHTS PER CRUISE

7 days: 2 Formal Nights

10-13 days: 3 Formal Nights

14+ days: 2 Formal Nights per week

EFFECTIVE DATES

The new dress code will take effect on the following sailings, selected as the earliest possible 2007 departure in Alaska, Europe or Canada/New England:

Amsterdam - May 18

Masdam - May 4

Noordam - May 13

Oosterdam - May 5

Prinsendam - May 7

Rotterdam - May 2

RYndam - May 6

Statendam - May 20

Veendam - May 9

Volendam - May 11

Westerdam - May 10

Zaandam - May 9

Zuiderdam - May 12

curious...what are the requirements for teens on formal night? our nephews are traveling with us, and I know neither one has a suit. Do I need to take them shopping?

The dress code is for everyone ... except maybe infants. But I've seen toddlers dressed in tuxes, too. I'd take the young men shopping. They will be dashing and catch the eyes of all the ladies ... young and old alike.

thanks! this should be fun...they live in Florida and LONG pants to them are foreign! you know teens! But I will give them an option, wear "dress-up" clothes for dinner, or eat alone in the Lido.

????? ... really? I go back pretty far and I was never told this. In fact, quite the opposite. Growing up we were told that you could never go wrong with a jacket and tie for a man and a hat and a nice, new spring coat for the ladies.

Whatever happened to spring coats anyway? I remember getting one every Spring just before Easter along with my pretty new hat:D .

The good ole days ......;)

Oh we women of the pantsuit ( WOP) are reminiscing again, eh :)

In high school, late 60's, many girls transferred to the secretarial skills school where they had to wear hose, white gloves and a hat to class.

Public schools did not allow girls to wear pants regardless of the weather, but oh my, we coveted the ability to wear bell bottoms during our private time. My first pair were above my ankles ( long leg syndrom). This was before girls figured out they could buy and wear way too long men's jeans and let them drag. I could not afford to buy hippie shoes so I wore my loafers. I thought I was as cool as could be. Clearly, I was a dork and did not know it. Maybe I still am. Hmmm.

hammybee, as you describe the above I can vividly remember like it was yesterday a pair of hip huggers that were off white with a periwinkle blue paisly print and a big blue belt. With it I wore this knitt ribbed top that really show off my just starting to blossem figure.:D I guess I was spoiled I had the white leather Go-Go Boots to go with it (from Bakers Shoes). And about every 2 to 3 days out came the white shoe poish to make sure the black scuffs did not show.

Someone had gave us a link to some old cruise videos of the 50's and 60's yesterday in on the boards and I was just amazed how dressed up everyone was at Sail Away. Everyman was in a suit and tie many with hats and it also looked like all the boys were also dressed with a tie. The women all had the heavy dress coats and a hat of some type and gloves. The coats were the kind with big leapel collars so the women could show off fancy jeweled brouches. As I viewed this I thought "Oh How times have changed."

OK, Brian and Greg....you guys crack me up with what you bring for a cruise.:eek: I guess you're right.....the new rules won't save either of you any space or weight in your luggage.

But you have to realize that some of us attempt to travel as lightly as possible and limit ourselves to one suitcase. We're older than you, and when we fight with suitcases, the suitcases usually win.

Here's a suggestion. Take one rolling garment bag and another bag that you HANG/HOOK to the rolling bag. Then, you stack the carry-on on top of the rolling bag and you don't have to carry anything. After you check-in your bags you then carry your carry-on (or use one of those rolling carry-ons) ... and save you back!!! I'm not exactly "young" either. :)

So we travel with one bag and one carryon apiece for 7-10 day cruises. Anything longer, we add a small rolling garment bag. And you'd be surprised what we can get into those cases....but sometimes we test the weight limit. Eliminating a man's sports coat, a couple of shirts, and a pair of slacks could make the difference.

Guys should try wearing the slacks, shirt, and jacket in transit to the ship. :) That way they don't need to be packed. That's how I do it.

A couple of promised pictures follow. I'll put others on another thread, but these are formal-night shots. :)

Here are Brian, Scotty, and yours truly. Brian's paisley formal jacket is quite envious. But I couldn't ever pull that off ... I don't have the panache. :D

noordamgroup1a.jpg

Very Nice Picture with 3 very good looking men:) Of course I meant the first picture because there are 5 good looking men in the second pic. ;)Thanks for posting Greg.

Thanks, Lisa ... check out the photos on the other thread. :D

I got married 5 years ago on a Princess cruise and I don't care what the standards say--I'm wearing that dress again on a formal night on Holland America. It wasn't a traditional wedding dress (champagne colored, no train, etc). I bought it to wear again some day and I can't wait! The fact that I bought it off the rack AND it still fits is the true miracle!

A couple of promised pictures follow. I'll put others on another thread, but these are formal-night shots. :)

Here are Brian, Scotty, and yours truly. Brian's paisley formal jacket is quite envious. But I couldn't ever pull that off ... I don't have the panache.

I don't know, it does look like your panache is a bit smaller, and the dinner jacket covers it nicely! :rolleyes:

Archived