Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

Our very first cruise ever. Are we going to hear a terrible banging sound from the anchor since this cabin is more aft? Also, is there any sort of object (bathroom vent or a/c unit) that makes white noise on a ship? If not, I will be packing a fan b/c I have to have racket to sleep!

I thought the anchors were forward. :confused:

I've been on ships that had a lot of noise aft when reversing/turning to dock or leave port but don't know that particular ship.

I always bring a "white noise" maker or small fan. Rooms are pretty quiet and I have to have that sound. But it better be MY noise maker, not a neighbor or something else on the ship! :p

I thought the anchors were forward. :confused:

I've been on ships that had a lot of noise aft when reversing/turning to dock or leave port but don't know that particular ship.

I always bring a "white noise" maker or small fan. Rooms are pretty quiet and I have to have that sound. But it better be MY noise maker, not a neighbor or something else on the ship! :p

I could be wrong, but dont all the modern ships have thrusters in the back. You will only hear them about 20 minutes as you come in or leave a port.

Our very first cruise ever. Are we going to hear a terrible banging sound from the anchor since this cabin is more aft? Also, is there any sort of object (bathroom vent or a/c unit) that makes white noise on a ship? If not, I will be packing a fan b/c I have to have racket to sleep!

The anchor is on the port side near the front, not the aft I believe?

I turn on the tv low, maybe to the station that shows the deck cams on some of the ships, dont believe conquest has a web cam onboard. Leave the tv on low.

You are more apt to hear the thrusters and the vibration in the aft, not the anchor.

you will need a noise machine. (unless you are driving to the port a fan will take up precious weight limit for flying)

We also will crack the balcony door open for our sound machine. (dont open it too much or the airconditioning can shut off on some ships.

You will be pleasantly surprised on how little you hear inside a cabin. and how you sleep will be so different from that at home. It is different but kind of hard to explain

This is a great thread. May I suggest, however, that those who post about a certain ship and/or cabin be kind enough to list the ship name and cabin number in the Title of your reply?

That sure would help so many people who are looking for information on a particular cabin, deck or ship.

Many thanks.

Hi

I sleep with a fan in my bedroom normally but obviously can't travel with it (I'm from Australia)...so what is a noise machine? I've never heard of this before. Is it something small that can be packed easily in a suitcase?

Thankx for your help.

Cheers

Ging466

Hi

I sleep with a fan in my bedroom normally but obviously can't travel with it (I'm from Australia)...so what is a noise machine? I've never heard of this before. Is it something small that can be packed easily in a suitcase?

Thankx for your help.

Cheers

Ging466

Yes it is small and compact. Here is a site to take a look.\

http://www.naturestapestry.com/whitenoise2.html

cabins only have one outlet so you will need an extension cord to plau everything in.

I was concerned when I booked the room because I saw a big white space on the deck plan next to and behind the room. I was assured it's "just a hallway." Well, I don't know what it is, but it is LOUD. Thumping and bumping all night. I traveled with my brother, and I didn't know if he snored or not so I brought earplugs. They helped, but did not drown out the noise completely.

Whatever that white space is goes down through all the decks. I would avoid all inside cabins in that area of the ship on ALL DECKS, not just Empress. Also that area of the empress deck is right beneath the galley. Although thos esounds didn't bother me very much (maybe it was drowned out by the sounds coming from the hallway behind my cabin), I talked to someone who had an outside cabin in that area and they were very bothered by the sounds from the galley above them.

Whatever that white space is goes down through all the decks. I would avoid all inside cabins in that area of the ship on ALL DECKS, not just Empress. Also that area of the empress deck is right beneath the galley. Although thos esounds didn't bother me very much (maybe it was drowned out by the sounds coming from the hallway behind my cabin), I talked to someone who had an outside cabin in that area and they were very bothered by the sounds from the galley above them.

that white area is crew stairs - your cabin is directly under the middle part of the galley. and directly next door to the crew stairs-- So you had noise from everywhere/

Did you pick this cabin or did you get it by taking a guarantee inside cabin??

that white area is crew stairs - your cabin is directly under the middle part of the galley. and directly next door to the crew stairs-- So you had noise from everywhere/

Did you pick this cabin or did you get it by taking a guarantee inside cabin??

I booked an Inside Guarantee - when I transferred my booking to a TA she got us a 4 category upgrade with assigned cabins. There were two families going, both needing a room that could accomodate 4 people. These two cabins next to each other seemed ideal. I did ask her about the white space on the deck plan and she didn't know. She called Carnival and they told her it was "just a hallway." I e-mailed her today and told her to steer her client's AWAY from that area of the ship.

I notice that ALL of the decks have that same white space in that area of the ship. Is it noisy all the way down, or did I just get it bad because we were up near the galley?

you got it bad because of being right next to it PLUS being under the galley. Which you were smack dab in the middle of it.

MOST of the agents working at carnival probably never even been on a ship-- and they just dont have a clue. you can call carnival numerous times with the same question and get a variety of answers.

Your best bet-- if you would have taken the same area on the Upper deck it would have been a better upgrade for you

Friend and I are thinking about NCL Majesty, but it's her first cruise and she's determined to be as frugal as possible, which means lowest deck. Any advice about which rooms are the best in the the lowest deck? I think I've convinced her that ocean view is nicer than inside, so it'll probalby be ocean view.

Any rooms to absolutely avoid?

The last day another letter stating that they will credit my sign and sail acct.400.00 per person............

$400 a person from Carnival? How lucky. I asked for $40.00 back for the two bottles of rum we handed over when we reboarded during one of our ports-of-call. The rum that was deliveried to the wrong cabin and we never did get them back. When I asked for a refund from corporate headquarters (all paper work for the missing rum was done before we left the ship) we were told that all they would do for us is give us a $40.00 on-board credit on our next cruise. I figured that if I had to spend another $2500 just to get the $40.00 back that belonged to me to begin with I better look for another cruise line. Which I did.

Friend and I are thinking about NCL Majesty, but it's her first cruise and she's determined to be as frugal as possible, which means lowest deck. Any advice about which rooms are the best in the the lowest deck? I think I've convinced her that ocean view is nicer than inside, so it'll probalby be ocean view.

Any rooms to absolutely avoid?

I was on the majesty last year- in my opinion, not a great ship to be on for a first cruise experience. Although, if she likes it, most every other ship will be an upgrade for her. The rooms are all very small, not so well designed. I would suggest checking the deck plans on line to see if there are public rooms above you- and not choose one that does. Choose a room that has another cabin above it, that should minimize noise. Enjoy.

If we could get everyone to post a cabin number (like 6857) and the reason on this thread...then all someone would have to do is do a "search" of this thread with the cabin number they are considering.

True, you might get some hits for RCCL or Princess when you are looking for Carnival..but overall I think it is a good plan!!!

It was horrible! I stayed in one last week (10-20-07 sailing). There were 4 of us and this had to have been the worst room for us. It is on the panorama deck right under the spa. Oh yes, that includes the treadmills! The spa apparently closes at 8 or 10 to the guests, but then is open until 1 for the staff. It was so loud and shook my sons bed (the one from the ceiling). It sounded like a pounding headache would if it was audible! The throbbing and pounding was so annoying. Anyways, we went to the pursers about it almost every night, eventhough the spa manager agreed to unplug the machines above our room at 8 PM. She did not follow through with her promise. The pursers were great and we had no problem with them. They were very frustrated too. In the end, we got a $300 credit for our trouble... not a lot, but it was more than I expected. I would not recommend this room to anyone that can hear and plans to go to sleep before 1AM or sleep after 7AM.

:mad:

We booked it at the recommendation of the carnival agent. I explained the nap times and bed times of the boys and said that I wanted a room that would be quiet. That is what she recommended. It was obviously not a good one.

How sad for that agent-- looking at the deck plans you can surely see that it is located under the gym area where the treadmills/weights are located.

Now that you found cruise critic-- ask the people here in the know if certain cabins should be avoided.

Taking a gurantee cabin that is the cabin you could get- no way would I hand pick a cabin like that.