Attn people sailing on the Feb. 4th Pride: We are stuck onboard!!!

TravelingSmurf

I feel for those that had their cruise shortened. I was on a RCCL cruise almost 2 years ago where we had a 7-day turn to a 5 day. Grandeur was docking in Riviera Maya when winds and strong currents pushed it into the pier tearing a hole in the side above the waterline. We were to leave on a Saturday and this happened on a either Wed or Thurs. We received little information from TA or RCCL. They said they would post on their website with any updates.......and they were few and far between (2 postings in all.) Our TA finally told us we would leave on Sunday (now a 6-day) and get $50/person and 25% off future booking (3 of us in a balcony.) Finally, RCCL posted something and we were pushed back to 5PM on Monday (now a 5-day) and we were to miss 1 port (Riviera Maya) and replaced Grand Cayman w/Key West. Oh, and our $50/person went down to $100/stateroom and no future discount??????? We were confused as was our TA and everyone else we talked to on the ship. They were all told the same thing. Not a lot we could do, 3 working adults already had vacation planned so we had to take it. We were reluctant to book a different cruise because they hadn't told us we would get a refund if we cancelled. They later told everyone we could cancel but we were left to sit on our hands and wait on the information, or lack of information. This one left a bitter taste in my mouth with RCCL and I am curious to hear if CCL was as secretive about this situation as well. You know they have to be careful releasing info, but they owe updates to their passengers.

Having said all that, we went, tipped the bartenders well, drank a lot, played bingo and won an upgrade to an owner's suite, won some more $$$ at bingo, climbed the rock wall as many times as we wanted, sat almost anywhere we wanted because the ship was probably just over half full (half empty if you are a pessimist.) Last and definitely not least, we are so glad we went because we met some very nice people who were here on these boards who treated us like they had known us their whole lives. We wouldn't have missed that for anything.

Hope everyone on this one makes the most of it. You can still have a fabulous time.

Ali McG

Thanks for the update! I've been nervous, we're on the Pride on 2/18!

That makes two of us.....I'm so anxious for my 2/18 cruise and will be so disappointed if something like this happens. IT CAN'T HAPPEN!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with the Pride's route, but what are the chances they'll actually be able to hit the ports they do have left?

Normally, the Pride goes all the way down to Puerto Vallarta, then back up to Mazatlan, up to Cabo and home to Long Beach.

Sounds like they are going to skip Puerto Vallarta and go straight to Mazatlan and back up to Cabo. Hope they make it to those 2 ports and that it doesn't have to turn into a 1-port cruise.

I wonder what is going to happen to the people who are due to leave this Sunday??

Cari

Hi Cari,

We had the same thing happen to us on the Legend during our New Years cruise this past New Years. It was a medical emergency so we had to turn arond and go back to San Juan so the person could be airlifted off the ship. Instead of getting in to Ft. Lauderdale on January 3rd, we got in January 4th. What happens to the peope on the next cruise (at least in our situation) is that they simply lose a day so instead of going on an 8 day cruise, they got a 7 day and missed 1 of their ports of call.

I hope you are enjoying your extended cruise. I know we sure did.

Just looked on the ship tracker and it said they are going 2 knots. This doesn't sound right. Does anybody know if this is normal? Am sailing on her next week. Hopefully..

The 2 knots is the wind speed where they are, they actually travelled 120 nautical miles in 6 hours at an average speed of 19.9 knots. It appears things are back to normal and they are scheduled to go to Mazatlan and Cabo as scheduled and will be back in Long Beach on Sunday for the next group to have a normally scheduled itinerary.

Just looked on the ship tracker and it said they are going 2 knots. This doesn't sound right. Does anybody know if this is normal? Am sailing on her next week. Hopefully..

The 2 knots is the wind speed where they are, they actually travelled 120 nautical miles in 6 hours at an average speed of 19.9 knots. It appears things are back to normal and they are scheduled to go to Mazatlan and Cabo as scheduled and will be back in Long Beach on Sunday for the next group to have a normally scheduled itinerary.

Just got home to PA. after our 8 day cruise :) on the Pride. Things were a little hectic after the Capt. first announced our delay, they opened the phone lines for us to adjust our airline arrangements and are giving each person up to $200 for additional air expenses.

We had a great Super Bowl party, Open bar for 2 hours and really enjoyed our extra day. ( We did feel really bad for those waiting to board in Long Beach).

Pride staff were more than willing to help in any way they could. Free transportation was provided to the Airport or back to the long beach terminal.

We feel pretty lucky to get an extra day on our first cruise.:D

Just got home to PA. after our 8 day cruise :) on the Pride. Things were a little hectic after the Capt. first announced our delay, they opened the phone lines for us to adjust our airline arrangements and are giving each person up to $200 for additional air expenses.

We had a great Super Bowl party, Open bar for 2 hours and really enjoyed our extra day. ( We did feel really bad for those waiting to board in Long Beach).

Pride staff were more than willing to help in any way they could. Free transportation was provided to the Airport or back to the long beach terminal.

We feel pretty lucky to get an extra day on our first cruise.:D

Congrats to you and your family....sounds like a fun extra day. I feel bad for those who lost a day....and I'm just hoping that my hubby and I get our complete 7 days on the 18th cruise!

Sorry it has taken so long to update. We didn't get home until 10:00 pm last night. And today was back to normal, so I have been busy.

Anyway, I see someone has already posted a little about the cruise. It was not bad for me since I didn't have to worry about air transportation, but there were a ton of people who had to try and take care of it on the ship. They did open the phone lines, but there were only 12!! Imagine all the people on the ship trying to place an outside call. It took us until Sunday at about 7:00 pm to fianlly get a line (we had to make sure my in laws knew they had to watch the kids 1 more day). Even using the internet was a pain. I had a laptop, but it was still very slow. There was a LONG line of people trying to use the computers there.

Once everyone calmed down, things seemed better. We were able to watch the Superbowl in the Tajmahal. I was getting a spa treatment at the time they announced an open bar for about 2 hours, but I guess people were VERY happy!!:rolleyes:

Getting off the ship was a bit of a pain, but we managed. We didn't make it back to Long Beach until about noon. The immigration lines were very long, and then the shuttle lines were long.

The staff was very good about everything. Some guests were really unhappy, and unfornutely took it out on them. The one thing that did frusterate me, was at about 3:00 Sunday afternoon, we all got "locked" out of our rooms. I was frusterated, because I really wanted to get in my room. I can't figure out why they couldn't "predict" this was going to happen. They knew that on Sundays the "old" keys would stop working and the "new" keys would be fine. They had our room stweards give us new keys later on on the evening. A bit incomvient, but I got over it! :)

Overall it was a great vacation. I even didn't mind the suprise John Tesh concert (he was better than I thought he would be). He seemed like a nice guy. It is definately a cruise I won't forget anytime soon.

Cari

I've heard lots of people on here staying there...and they KNOW it's haunted? NOT ME. I love to watch all the shows and movies, hear the stories, but I wouldn't stay in a haunted place if they paid ME, LOL.

Have you stayed there, Fred?

I stayed there one night and it was fine. No ghosts...but we could hear the people next door doing you know what in the morning. The walls are very thin!

Sorry it has taken so long to update. We didn't get home until 10:00 pm last night. And today was back to normal, so I have been busy.

Anyway, I see someone has already posted a little about the cruise. It was not bad for me since I didn't have to worry about air transportation, but there were a ton of people who had to try and take care of it on the ship. They did open the phone lines, but there were only 12!! Imagine all the people on the ship trying to place an outside call. It took us until Sunday at about 7:00 pm to fianlly get a line (we had to make sure my in laws knew they had to watch the kids 1 more day). Even using the internet was a pain. I had a laptop, but it was still very slow. There was a LONG line of people trying to use the computers there.

Once everyone calmed down, things seemed better. We were able to watch the Superbowl in the Tajmahal. I was getting a spa treatment at the time they announced an open bar for about 2 hours, but I guess people were VERY happy!!:rolleyes:

Getting off the ship was a bit of a pain, but we managed. We didn't make it back to Long Beach until about noon. The immigration lines were very long, and then the shuttle lines were long.

The staff was very good about everything. Some guests were really unhappy, and unfornutely took it out on them. The one thing that did frusterate me, was at about 3:00 Sunday afternoon, we all got "locked" out of our rooms. I was frusterated, because I really wanted to get in my room. I can't figure out why they couldn't "predict" this was going to happen. They knew that on Sundays the "old" keys would stop working and the "new" keys would be fine. They had our room stweards give us new keys later on on the evening. A bit incomvient, but I got over it! :)

Overall it was a great vacation. I even didn't mind the suprise John Tesh concert (he was better than I thought he would be). He seemed like a nice guy. It is definately a cruise I won't forget anytime soon.

Cari

Thanks Mommy2 for the heads up...I am leaving Feb 11 on the pride and wouldn't have known ANY info unless you didn't post....It was appreciated!!

Thanks Again!!

Archived