Attn people sailing on the Feb. 4th Pride: We are stuck onboard!!!

TravelingSmurf

I'm still confused. If the Pride is docking in San Pedro then the Paradise will be a go for docking as planned in Long Beach. How will the Feb 4th cruisers get to San Pedro? I've heard the people on the Pride now will have transportation back to Long Beach but what about the people getting on? If the Pride is going to San Pedro just for repairs and then going to Long Beach to p/u the new passengers...what about the Paradise which is already there?:confused:

Nothing posted on the Carnival Site :mad:

My brother is booked on that cruise, and he is at home waiting. He got a recorded message from Carnival yesterday, saying she was delayed. Wonder if they will cancel it. What about the dock, the Paradise docks on Monday..

Jan

I'm still confused. If the Pride is docking in San Pedro then the Paradise will be a go for docking as planned in Long Beach. How will the Feb 4th cruisers get to San Pedro? I've heard the people on the Pride now will have transportation back to Long Beach but what about the people getting on? If the Pride is going to San Pedro just for repairs and then going to Long Beach to p/u the new passengers...what about the Paradise which is already there?:confused:

It's only about 15-20 minutes, worst case, from San Pedro to Long Beach. You can usually rely on there not being too much traffic on the Terminal Island Freeway. Carnival will probably have to provide busses. The big problem will be parking: they depend on having the previous cruise's pax getting their cars out to make room for the next cruise. They'll have all the current Carnival Pride passengers' cars, some of the next cruise's and whatever "normal" overlap there's be from Paradise's pax. (Of course some of Carnival Pride's next cruise's passengers will require park in San Pedro and will transportation back after their cruise.)

I imagine that Paradise will get the single slot by the Dome so that its operations won't be impacted. (No reason to piss them off too.)

I've not found any web cam showing cruise ship area over in San Pedro - anyone know of one?

The ship locater web site hasn't updated her position of 9-10 hrs.... wonder if she made it in at all???

We're due to sail on her Valentines week (2/11 sailing). Hope they get things fixed! Is the Pride an azapod ship, or conventional shaft/prop?

I've not found any web cam showing cruise ship area over in San Pedro - anyone know of one?

The ship locater web site hasn't updated her position of 9-10 hrs.... wonder if she made it in at all???

We're due to sail on her Valentines week (2/11 sailing). Hope they get things fixed! Is the Pride an azapod ship, or conventional shaft/prop?

Azipods.

A DisgruntledMechanic that threw in a wrench into the reduction gears?:confused:

Come on Fred, you know as well as I do that the only reduction gears on Carnival Pride are in the Hobart mixers in the galley.

I'm on the Feb 5 Paradise sailing and was relieved to see the Pride will be going to San Pedro and we should still be able to board on Monday as planned. I do think there will be chaos at the Long Beach Terminal on Monday though. We nearly switched to the Pride...I guess I'm glad that didn't work.

As far as people switching to the Paradise...I have to say you will likely be disappointed. I've done the Paradise and the Pride before and the Paradise doesn't hold a candle especially in the winter. You will need to go get some warmer clothes if you plan to make the switch (and you flew in) and the ports on the Paradise are bad and not warm. The only reason to do it is because it is short and cheap. You need to look at it mainly as ship time (dining, relaxing, etc). It is our young daughters first cruise...that is why we are going short and cheap for a trial run.

My thought is at this point, we won't know about the status of subsequent cruises until Pride manages to make it's way into port.

Good luck with everything -- hopefully the damage is easily repairable...

Hi,

This thread has been so helpful. I just talked to them again, they said tomorrow's cruise is definitely going and boarding will be at the same time. Everyone is supposed to go to Long Beach and will be bussed to San Pedro where the ship will actually be. This is because it will be coming back in to Long Beach on the return. She said all should work fine, but she said if you're driving and parking, it might be congested if you go too early, due to the arriving passengers being bussed back in down from San Pedro and their cars still being there.

So if you go early you might get stuck hanging around the Long Beach pier before you get bussed to San Pedro.

They seem pretty confident that other than the one-day delay, the ship will be normal, she thinks if they were going to cancel, would have done so by now.

Hope this helps everyone, and see you aboard!

What good is insurance? Isn't this what it's for? What a bummer. Of course, it is unexpected by the ship, but then is it? If people were feeling vibration "a few weeks ago", then this isn't something the cruise ship wasn't expecting. I say full refund for all!!!:confused:

I think the vibration thing is the speed at which they usually come back on the last leg between Cabo and Long Beach, which has been noted on almost all the member reviews I've read, the ship usually speeds back and was not able to this time, for whatever reason.

My friend and I (both single women) were looking forward to two things, Puerto Vallarta and meeting some fun people onboard. We decided to be optimistic, book a side trip to Puerto sometime soon with our refund money (we're both golfers, so one day wasn't going to be enough for a good trip there anyway) and regard it as an adventure!

I also figure that getting everyone off a disabled ship would cost them a lot more than canceling a cruise, so I don't think they'd take that risk. My hunch is that the mechanical thing is either very minor or can be repaired fast.

Not that I can't get grumpy, but they do seem to be doing everything they can to keep from spoiling everyone's vacation, and they are offering full refunds plus airfare compensation to anyone who wants.

Bye for now!

What good is insurance? Isn't this what it's for? What a bummer. Of course, it is unexpected by the ship, but then is it? If people were feeling vibration "a few weeks ago", then this isn't something the cruise ship wasn't expecting. I say full refund for all!!!:confused:

On the haul back from Cabo, the ship exceeds her "service speed" and approaches her "maximum speed." She always vibrates and that vibration is especially pronounced in the aft part of the dining room.

I would think that passengers' impression of the amplitude of the vibrations doesn't necessarily constitute evidence of impending failure in the drive system. For that, the ship has instrumentation that is monitored and logged. Lacking documentation to the contrary (such as entries in the engineering logs noting vibrations that exceed the expected norms), this can still be classified as unexpected and covered under the contract.

Can they really get the Pride fixed in that short amount of time?

Man, my heart goes out to the folks going on the 2/4 sailing. This sounds like a major fix to me and I can't imagine how they could fix it quickly enough to make the next sailing, even at a day later.....

What a drag--everyone knows how much you look forward to a vacation like this. My sailing is two weeks out and I'm concerned, but I sure feel bad for the next two before us too...I sure hope it IS an easy fix.

:mad:

Man, my heart goes out to the folks going on the 2/4 sailing. This sounds like a major fix to me and I can't imagine how they could fix it quickly enough to make the next sailing, even at a day later.....

What a drag--everyone knows how much you look forward to a vacation like this. My sailing is two weeks out and I'm concerned, but I sure feel bad for the next two before us too...I sure hope it IS an easy fix.

:mad:

Sometimes it just the availability of a part or parts that they don't have on the ship and they can make the fix in time.

I believe insurance is for an accident, injury or illness of the cruise passenger; not the ship!;)

If Carnival is crediting everyone 15% of the cruise fare (1 divided by 7 is 14.2857) and giving a $50 per person shipboard credit and reimbursing up to $200 per person for hotel, air changes, what are the damages?

I believe insurance is for an accident, injury or illness of the cruise passenger; not the ship!;)

My guess is it would, potentially, be covered by travel delay/interruption. But each policy "reads" differently

I think the vibration thing is the speed at which they usually come back on the last leg between Cabo and Long Beach, which has been noted on almost all the member reviews I've read, the ship usually speeds back and was not able to this time, for whatever reason.

My friend and I (both single women) were looking forward to two things, Puerto Vallarta and meeting some fun people onboard. We decided to be optimistic, book a side trip to Puerto sometime soon with our refund money (we're both golfers, so one day wasn't going to be enough for a good trip there anyway) and regard it as an adventure!

I also figure that getting everyone off a disabled ship would cost them a lot more than canceling a cruise, so I don't think they'd take that risk. My hunch is that the mechanical thing is either very minor or can be repaired fast.

Not that I can't get grumpy, but they do seem to be doing everything they can to keep from spoiling everyone's vacation, and they are offering full refunds plus airfare compensation to anyone who wants.

Bye for now!

I dont think the vibration would nescessarily be a clue for an upcoming problem. We were on the Pride in March 2006 and everyday (especially in the dining room) it was vibrating quite a bit. :cool:

Archived