Just Curious to see what Cruise Crtic HAL Board really Thinks about the Dining issue

LAFFNVEGAS

Which Dining do you Prefer  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dining do you Prefer

• Traditional, would never consider anything else or cruise on a ship if I could not have this
    • I could go either way, as long as I am cruising and they feed me.
    • Dine As You Wish, I do not want to be restricted to when, where or who I eat with.

[quote name=

Sean' date=' polls are always skewed depending on the pollster's viewpoint. I've done it myself here. I skew the poll's wording to try to get what I want from it. If Lisa just said "prefer traditional dining", the poll would be far more weighted on that choice.

[/quote]

If the poll is skewed toward gaining the 60%....it logically follows that if it weren't skewed the percentage would be lower not higher.

Additionally, how could a poll be accurate as to true opinions if intentionally skewed ( ie. not precisely worded)?

By scewing it, you have already compromised its accuracy.....and it's usefulness for making decisions based on what people prefer.

:) I never cruised HAL when there were only two seatings, but that idea sounds so nice and simple. Why did they change it?

Karin

Karin -

At the time it was thought that it would impove service levels in the dining room. Having staggered times allowed HAL to "adjust their staffing" (read - save money) yet keep everyone happy.

Also, as one poster notes, there were those who were very unhappy to be assigned late seating if they wanted early.

The times were better all around though - Early was at 6:00 pm and Late was at 8:00 pm... those were the good old days, lol!!!

The times were better all around though - Early was at 6:00 pm and Late was at 8:00 pm... those were the good old days, lol!!!

Thanks, Laura, I agree with you; I actually do think that sounds like the "good old days":) . Please forgive my thick-headedness, why would staggered dining times, as they have now, save money? How were the dining staff "adjusted"? I'm really curious to know, thanks.

Karin

Frankly like I stated many times before, we are all making way too big a deal out of this. None of this is set in stone, we have seen many times that things change as quickly as we heard about them. Life is just too darn short to get up set over this. We are talking about a cruise something that is suppose to be relaxing not a Life or Death moment. There will always be people that Dislike something, You cannot please everyone all the time.Personally I feel Life is about Change and it is something we cannot avoid.

Lisa,

This is spooky.....I was just thinking the same thing.

If I apply this much angst and consternation while anticipating my next cruise, I am going to be squeezing the joy out of taking a cruise!:)

Lisa, you can have up to 10 (I think) choices in a poll so it really didn't have to be a "traditional or I'll never cruise this line again" question.

I know you want traditional, but I'm also aware of your deep loyalty to HAL. It's a rare day that you say anything even slightly negative about the line. There's nothing wrong with that, but your loyalty does come through to some of us.

As for making a big deal about the subject, I didn't start any of the 3 threads about this. There were 2 threads discussing it at length and you felt a poll was a good idea. That's fine, but 3 threads on the same subject is what made it a big deal. You can't start a poll and then wonder why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

And beside, it's fun! I think it's the most fun I've had on this board in quite a while.:D

Everyone knows how I love a good discussion about any subject about cruising. I think it's good for us to hash all this stuff out and I'll bet threadslike these 3 are far more interesting to Seattle than many others.

Life IS change, but I don't agree it's not about change. Life is about a lot of things and one of those things is talking. I think there is nothing more interesting, more informative, than a good talk about a subject like this.

Sean, sorry but I disagree. If the poll had been split into "I prefer traditional" without mention of never accepting anything other than that, then several who voted they didn't care might have checked traditional. The poll is skewed ... probably not by intent, but skewed nonetheless. Take a look at the choices again and I honestly think you'll see what I mean.

It was a little hard to check "traditional" unless you're really vehement about traditional. Yet it still came out on top which I found very interesting and a little surprising given what we've been told.

I'm hoping that some of the other CC cruisers from last week will post (I'm referring to cruisinjudy and her table-mates) because apparently they were in the open seating but still managed to reserve the same table at the same time for the entire week. Wonder how they did that? ;)

As for the pager, I only saw one, but it was clearly the kind used by certain restaurant chains... I managed to bite my tongue just before I screamed out "They made you use a BEEPER?!" It could be that they were insisting on a table for 2, I don't know. Like I said, it will be interesting to see how HAL takes this, based on the feedback that they got.

Thanks, Laura, I agree with you; I actually do think that sounds like the "good old days":) . Please forgive my thick-headedness, why would staggered dining times, as they have now, save money? How were the dining staff "adjusted"? I'm really curious to know, thanks.

Karin

Karin -

I guess the logic behind it was that they would be able to get by with fewer staff, who worked more tables. Now they have fewer individuals, but they all are performing more of the clean-up and set-up functions, which never used to be the case.

If they started the upper level at 5:45 pm and then the lower level at 6:15 pm, the staff could spread out more to accomodate. The half hour window allowed more time for set-up & clean-up before the next group arrived. I was also told this would improve the ability to keep & serve food either hot or cold.

Also, back in the "old days", it could be somewhat challenging to get everyone out of the D/R from the Early seating in order to get things set up for the Late seating.

It never made too much sense to me, so I'm probably the thick-headed one, lol!!! :)

Lisa, you can have up to 10 (I think) choices in a poll so it really didn't have to be a "traditional or I'll never cruise this line again" question.

There are actually 14 choices now but I wanted to make it simple. Either you would only take Traditional, no other choice, you did not care one way or another, or you would only cruise with Dine As You Wish or Free Style or any open Dining. Sorry if what I typed does not always make sense to everyone:o

Fred, just don't have the time to find your many posts on this subject on 3 threads, but every time someone said they didn't like the idea of "As You Wish", you basically said you couldn't understand that and questioned that person in some cases to a point where it was almost demeaning. I'm sure you didn't mean to do that and felt you were merely expressing your own view, but it doesn't come off that way.

Heather, I do appreciate and thank you for your comment. When I post in the future, I'll read my preview post with respect to tone.

Fred

There are actually 14 choices now but I wanted to make it simple. Either you would only take Traditional, no other choice, you did not care one way or another, or you would only cruise with Dine As You Wish or Free Style or any open Dining. Sorry if what I typed does not always make sense to everyone:o

LOL!! Well, I think 14 just might be a little over the top and a definite BIG DEAL:D .

What I guess I was trying to say, really, was that some people prefer traditional but wouldn't stop cruising HAL if they couldn't have it.

I can think of one in particular;) (and it's not me and it's not you).

Well, call me a "nervous Nellie", but the "As You Wish Dining" sounds a little ominous for solo cruisers. I'm traveling solo for the very first time this coming June on Noordam, and I'm not looking forward to being lost in the dining room shuffle. I tend to think positively, and hope that all my fears are for naught, but it doesn't sound too good.

Should I cancel my booking, or just wait and see?

Karin

Hi Karin --

Go and have fun!! Attend the mixers and get-togethers -- you will undoubtedly find some kindred spirits there, who are traveling solo also. It shouldn't be difficult to make some dinner plans with a group of newly-found friends. This is a large ship, with beaucoup pax.

Enjoy!!

AG

What I guess I was trying to say, really, was that some people prefer traditional but wouldn't stop cruising HAL if they couldn't have it.

I can think of one in particular;) (and it's not me and it's not you).

Hey that's me you're talking about..:D LOL

We enjoy traditional & will always ask for traditional, late seating upper or lower, makes no difference; we'll take whichever is available..

But would we stop cruising HAL if they did away with traditional..I don't believe so...There are too many other things that we love about HAL..Besides that, DH & I are both of Dutch Heritage..;)

One thing is for sure, life to me is about change & I refuse to become a reactionary..I'll make up my mind after we personally experience the change..

Because of the NCL experience, have learned my lesson to never say "never again" ever again...:o

Cheers everyone & Happy cruising:) Betty

P.S. Heather, I'm like you & am never bored by a fun & opinionated discussion among friends..

We just got home 2 days ago from the Mexican Riviera crusie on the Oosterdam where we tried out the Dine As You Wish option. It worked great for us and I really enjoyed the flexibility. I think they will eventually get some of th kinks worked out so you won't have to make a reservation. That would be a big help. Although the night we didn't make a rreservation, it worked out just fine. No wait and a table for two just as we like it.

One thing we noticed on the Oosterdam last week, was that it seemed as though the "As You Wish" crowd was somewhat younger than the average age of the "Traditional" diner. Now I didn't go around asking for ages, it was just an observation and it has started me thinking that maybe HAL is thinking to the future. If open dining is what younger cruisers want and they don't have an option in place to offer it, what will happen in a few years? Just a thought...

One thing we noticed on the Oosterdam last week, was that it seemed as though the "As You Wish" crowd was somewhat younger than the average age of the "Traditional" diner. Now I didn't go around asking for ages, it was just an observation and it has started me thinking that maybe HAL is thinking to the future. If open dining is what younger cruisers want and they don't have an option in place to offer it, what will happen in a few years? Just a thought...

Exactly why HAL is experimenting with it now. As You Wish dining is perfect for younger cruisers ... especially those traveling with families or with groups of friends. Also, we have to remember that many younger folks are not used to fixed dining schedules or having to eat with people they don't know. The idea really puts them off and if that's all cruise lines offer on their ships, they simply won't consider a cruise as a vacation option.

HAL needs to survive into the future, and my guess is that in order to ensure their survival and their ability to attract new cruisers, they are looking at other dining options now that they would not have considered in the past. Yes, traditional HAL cruisers generally prefer fixed dining times and table assignments, but we won't always be around. So, HAL has to keep an eye to the future, and the people who will be sailing at that time.

As I said before, as long as HAL offers a choice, I can live with it. It just means I will have to book my cruises far in advance to ensure assignment in the traditional dining room.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My reading comprehension skills are just fine.

Not necessary for me to read it a tenth time to suddenly "see what you mean."

But ,thanks for the condescension.

Ouch, Sean!:o I honestly wasn't being condescending with you. I would never insult you so I'm truly sorry you took it that way.

I meant that I thought you might have read the first choice quickly. I know I did. It was only in looking at it again that I realized many people who definitely prefer Traditional dining (like Betty) could not check that box because they would not be prepared to quit HAL just because it wasn't offered.

My post was honestly just a suggestion to consider the poll a second time (certainly would never suggest a tenth time:eek: ) to see if you might see my point of view. You don't and that's okay ... not saying that you should, just that you might.

I don't think folks at HAL reading these posts shake their heads at all. They know that people have varying opinions and strong emotions about their experience with cruising.

If anything, I think everything they read here is valuable input ... a lot more valuable than some subjects dissected time and time again. While it may be a giggle for them to read whether one should wear a thong to dinner on formal night, I don't think it provides them with any information they can actually use;) :D .

My reading comprehension skills are just fine.

Not necessary for me to read it a tenth time to suddenly "see what you mean."

But ,thanks for the condescension.

Ouch, Sean!:o I honestly wasn't being condescending with you. I would never insult you so I'm truly sorry you took it that way.

I meant that I thought you might have read the first choice quickly. I know I did. It was only in looking at it again that I realized many people who definitely prefer Traditional dining (like Betty) could not check that box because they would not be prepared to quit HAL just because it wasn't offered.

My post was honestly just a suggestion to consider the poll a second time (certainly would never suggest a tenth time:eek: ) to see if you might see my point of view. You don't and that's okay ... not saying that you should, just that you might.

I don't think folks at HAL reading these posts shake their heads at all. They know that people have varying opinions and strong emotions about their experience with cruising.

If anything, I think everything they read here is valuable input ... a lot more valuable than some subjects dissected time and time again. While it may be a giggle for them to read whether one should wear a thong to dinner on formal night, I don't think it provides them with any information they can actually use;) :D .

After thinking about it, I have some suggestions for HAL on how to accomodate the solo cruisers with regard to open dining. It would require a little more work from the maitre d' but to be frank that is what they are being paid to do anyway.

First of all, the maitre d' needs to be trained to ask people when they come for open dining whether they would like (or be willing) to share a table. We were never asked this: because we were a group of 6 they assumed that we wanted a table for only 6. It wasn't until we volunteered to have extra people at our table that we got some additional tablemates.

Secondly, they need to do a better job in setting up table appointments for the solos. On the Oosterdam, the Explorer's Lounge is right outside the entrance to the Vista Dining Room. If, for example, a solo cruiser comes to the Vista, then the Maitre d' could ask them if they want to wait for a larger table, and send them to wait in the Explorer's Lounge (perhaps with a free drink for their trouble?). Eventually either there will be enough solos in the Lounge to form their own table, or the maitre d' will be able to set up the solos with other couples or groups that want to have extra people at their table. This would also help the servers so that they don't have a table with a bunch of different people being served different courses at the same time.

Are they still doing the "As You Wish" or have they gone back to the former method of dining?

After thinking about it, I have some suggestions for HAL on how to accomodate the solo cruisers with regard to open dining. It would require a little more work from the maitre d' but to be frank that is what they are being paid to do anyway.

First of all, the maitre d' needs to be trained to ask people when they come for open dining whether they would like (or be willing) to share a table. We were never asked this: because we were a group of 6 they assumed that we wanted a table for only 6. It wasn't until we volunteered to have extra people at our table that we got some additional tablemates.

Secondly, they need to do a better job in setting up table appointments for the solos. On the Oosterdam, the Explorer's Lounge is right outside the entrance to the Vista Dining Room. If, for example, a solo cruiser comes to the Vista, then the Maitre d' could ask them if they want to wait for a larger table, and send them to wait in the Explorer's Lounge (perhaps with a free drink for their trouble?). Eventually either there will be enough solos in the Lounge to form their own table, or the maitre d' will be able to set up the solos with other couples or groups that want to have extra people at their table. This would also help the servers so that they don't have a table with a bunch of different people being served different courses at the same time.

Are they still doing the "As You Wish" or have they gone back to the former method of dining?

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas on how to deal with single/solos in the main dining room. Waiting is not exactly the "best" prospect, however it may be what we're forced to if there is no choice and we can't get Traditional Dining.

Of course, the ideal is to arrange one's dining companions ahead of time. So, even though I'm cruising solo nevertheless Rita, Brian, Scotty, Ruth, Adele, and Warren can all arrive together and sit together. :) Of course, even BETTER than that ideal is the TRUE Holland America Line Ideal -- Traditional Dining with set tables, times, and waiter. :D

Archived