Just Curious to see what Cruise Crtic HAL Board really Thinks about the Dining issue

LAFFNVEGAS

Which Dining do you Prefer  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dining do you Prefer

• Traditional, would never consider anything else or cruise on a ship if I could not have this
    • I could go either way, as long as I am cruising and they feed me.
    • Dine As You Wish, I do not want to be restricted to when, where or who I eat with.

Heather currently 41% either want Dine As You Wish or Do Not Care. Yes, 59% of the 188 that have voted want only Traditional, but many that said they voted for Traditional also commented they would try the Dine As You Wish. Yes, I agree the favored vote is toward Traditional but what I was saying is it is not an over whelming land slide, now if it was 85% Traditional and 15% that wanted the Dine As You Wish or Simply did not care I would consider that a land slide. Unfortunately right now HAL could easily interrupt this poll to show a need of the Dine As You Wish.

In Politics they would call 59% to 41% a landslide for sure! The only thing the pool shos is that a 'majority' wish to retain traditional dining and that is fair enough. What would not be fair would be for HAL to change to anytime dining to suit the minority.

If we want anytime dining we can sail with Princess.

If we want single sitting we can sail with Cunard.

If we want traditional two sitting we can sail with HAL.... or Crystal. :eek:

It will get all rather boring if they all offer exactly the same thing. HAL needs to 'stay the way they are' to be 'different'. Those are the choices we need.

Stephen

In Politics they would call 59% to 41% a landslide for sure! The only thing the pool shos is that a 'majority' wish to retain traditional dining and that is fair enough. What would not be fair would be for HAL to change to anytime dining to suit the minority.

If we want anytime dining we can sail with Princess.

If we want single sitting we can sail with Cunard.

If we want traditional two sitting we can sail with HAL.... or Crystal. :eek:

It will get all rather boring if they all offer exactly the same thing. HAL needs to 'stay the way they are' to be 'different'. Those are the choices we need.

O Captain, My Captain!

You are a man with the ear of "the powers that be" at HAL. Is it impossible for your opinion, which I would guess is reflective of the majority who post here, to be made known to Seattle? It's as if they just don't care what we think; but perhaps they'll at least get the message if it were to come from someone like you?

Note Ruth's suggestion regarding providing sufficient facility for all those who prefer Traditional to get Traditional by attenuating the division so as to match the stated wishes on a cruise-by-cruise basis. Or, is it beyond HAL's ability to think creatively and do something like this, rather than just give those who want Traditional -- which would appear to be more than half of the loyal passenger base -- less than Half the Dining space?

Is it just me, or do they appear to be on a "Stupid IV" -- I used to say that they were taking "Stupid Pills," but the frequency of idiotic decisions flowing from the hallowed halls of HALHQ in Seattle seems to be on the rise ... a "Stupid IV" may be all that explains it.

Note Ruth's suggestion regarding providing sufficient facility for all those who prefer Traditional to get Traditional by attenuating the division so as to match the stated wishes on a cruise-by-cruise basis.
While the idea truly has merit, methinks the logistics of such a design would be way too much to handle, since it would be in a constant state of flux on each ship. The simplest thing to do is leave fixed seating alone! (wish-wish)

While the idea truly has merit, methinks the logistics of such a design would be way too much to handle, since it would be in a constant state of flux on each ship. The simplest thing to do is leave fixed seating alone! (wish-wish)

But, since -- I am sorry to say -- that simply isn't going to happen, they MUST find a way to accommodate those who wish Traditional Dining ... I say "must" because, if they don't, they'll lose them.

Just to be honest about it---it wasn't my suggestion. I didn't go back to be sure of who did post it. (I'd like to give credit where credit is due:o ). I merely agreed with the idea. (Also want to say I had thought of it, but didn't post.:rolleyes: )

Hi Brian,

If I'm not mistaken, the Oceana ships can only handly everyone at 'one sitting' if they include the two alternate restaurants. The main dining room cannot handle everyone at a single sitting.

On the PACIFIC PRINCESS two sittings were necessary and if I'm not mistaken, Princess do not run those ships on the 'anytime dining' system.... at least they didn't in 2002 when I was aboard.

Saga Rose and Saga Ruby can handle everyone at a single sitting. Their dining rooms are very large but seem almost intimate.

Stephen

Stephen,

You are correct.

On both the Tahitian and Pacific Princess which are sisters to Oceania's three ships, there are two sittings for dinner, 6pm and 8.15pm. The alternative restaurants are not open on the first or last night of the cruise and then only one is open at a time. They alternate with each other.

On Oceania, they have 4 restaurants working all at once The main Dining Room, Polo Grill, Toscano and Tapas on the Terrace which is their Lido. That is why they can accommodate everyone together but I daresay they hope that the passengers will come at different times.

Jennie

Now I am a single cruiser. I usually have a roomie. I have tried NCL and it did not sit well with me. They sat my friend and I had a table for 2. I must say some of the best people I have met during a cruise, have been my tablemates! Great people in fact, like family. I really missed that on NCL and it really took away from my cruise.

Yes, HAL crew lurks on here. I keep in touch with one of the head guys and he comments to me about the posts, so let them hear what you think.

I was recently on the Oosterdam, booked it 6 months in advance. Found out they took my traditional seating away. Well, we were not happy. So we went to the dining room and expressed this. They said well, let's seat you at a table and if you enjoy it we will keep you there the rest of the cruise. It was a table for 8 (there was 3 of us) and it was right next to a family we knew from our roll call. We were pleased. They added another couple, who were awesome, we even introduced them to the board. So when we left we all agreed we would like this table every night and I asked that we have it. After a bit of a conflict with a different person, we had it. The next night a single gentleman was added, he was thrilled, as he wanted the same table every night with some singles. Slowly, we filled our table. We had a great group. I like to know my waiters and I like them to know me. I like getting to make new friends. I do not want to dine alone. So NCL lost me because of the dining.

Really?

"And put the above-quoted statement into it. Yes, they read this board in Seattle. They sometimes print and pin up on bulletin boards in conference rooms and in the halls whole threads and selected posts from this board, with statements, praises, criticisms, and problems highlighted."

Jade, I am curious. How do you know this?

Lisa, while the percentage has changed a little since I wrote my post, I stand by my statement.

In any poll taken about just about anything, if you have a 60% plurality it is considered overwhelming.

If a politician is voted into office by a 60% majority, it's considered a landslide.

So I'm just using the same guideline. I'm strictly going by the poll itself ... not a few comments suggesting some are openminded. You still have well over 100 people, many of whom have obviously not posted, stating they want traditional dining.

It doesn't matter at all because this little poll among a couple hundred people isn't going to influence HAL. But it does point out that at least here on CC at least, the majority of the people voting do not support a change.

However, most of us would be happy with providing an alternative as long as our choice is still available and attainable without too much effort. That's not one of the choices, but I think most of us would go along with that. The problem lies in tweaking it so everyone gets what they want. I'm not at all sure that's possible:)

Just came off Oosterdam and here are my thoughts on As You Wish:

The positives: I like the flexibility. I was in a group of 6, and the majority of the group liked to eat early. (I prefer to eat later, but have learned to compromise). Still, there were several occasions where we would not have been able to make an assigned seating time. We would have been forced to eat in the Lido. So, the flexibility is a plus. Also, we never had to wait for a table. We may have just picked the right times, though, because there were a few nights where I saw people waiting for tables when we were leaving - including someone with the dreaded pager (!) We did not make reservations, so I don't know how that system worked. Also, even though we did not have the same waitstaff every night, the service did not suffer at all.

The negatives: I do prefer to have the same waitstaff each night; it was always fun getting to know the individual servers. Also, I can see that the open dining would be very difficult for solo travellers. They had Singles get-togethers every day on board, so you could meet people that way, but you would really have to do a lot of work yourself to get tablemates. But let's be honest - cruise lines have never been very accommodating to solo travellers. This is just an extra strike against them.

There were comment cards on the tables every night, so I am sure that HAL is relying very heavily on the responses they got on those cards. It will be interesting to see in which direction they go.

Just came off Oosterdam and here are my thoughts on As You Wish:

The positives: I like the flexibility. I was in a group of 6, and the majority of the group liked to eat early. (I prefer to eat later, but have learned to compromise). Still, there were several occasions where we would not have been able to make an assigned seating time. We would have been forced to eat in the Lido. So, the flexibility is a plus. Also, we never had to wait for a table. We may have just picked the right times, though, because there were a few nights where I saw people waiting for tables when we were leaving - including someone with the dreaded pager (!) We did not make reservations, so I don't know how that system worked. Also, even though we did not have the same waitstaff every night, the service did not suffer at all.

The negatives: I do prefer to have the same waitstaff each night; it was always fun getting to know the individual servers. Also, I can see that the open dining would be very difficult for solo travellers. They had Singles get-togethers every day on board, so you could meet people that way, but you would really have to do a lot of work yourself to get tablemates. But let's be honest - cruise lines have never been very accommodating to solo travellers. This is just an extra strike against them.

There were comment cards on the tables every night, so I am sure that HAL is relying very heavily on the responses they got on those cards. It will be interesting to see in which direction they go.

Thank you so much for your report, Nabby. I greatly appreciate it. It's good to hear a few good things about the "As You Wish" system from someone who has actually been through it. However, some of your observations do disturb me.

1. While you didn't experience it, you did observe some people having to wait and one with the "Dreaded Pager." That doesn't bode well.

2. Your remarks about single and solo travelers is very disappointing, but not at all surprising. HAL has, in the past, attempted to be very welcoming and accommodating to single travelers, having long-had some of the lowest single supplements in the business. The Traditional Dining system also helped to provide Singles and Solos with dining companions. The "As You Wish" system, however, wipes that out ... and get-togethers for singles and solos really don't help too much. Trust me. They don't.

In short, your report -- while helpful -- doesn't really give me much hope that my worst fears, and the worst fears of other solo travelers, won't be ameliorated. If they still provide the Traditional Option, that's where I will be ... assuming they have enough room for me. :(

The negatives: ...Also, I can see that the open dining would be very difficult for solo travellers. They had Singles get-togethers every day on board, so you could meet people that way, but you would really have to do a lot of work yourself to get tablemates.

I don't understand why it would be difficult for a solo to get tablemates. All one need do is tell the MD he/she would like to share a table for n (your choice of size). DW and I enjoy dining with others and found that this method worked well on Oosterdam (and Star Princess and Oceania Regatta). We have always welcomed solos and enjoyed their company.

Fred

I don't understand why it would be difficult for a solo to get tablemates. All one need do is tell the MD he/she would like to share a table for n (your choice of size). DW and I enjoy dining with others and found that this method worked well on Oosterdam (and Star Princess and Oceania Regatta). We have always welcomed solos and enjoyed their company.

Fred,

What I suspect is that you and your DW are in the minority in terms of being welcoming in this respect. Based upon what I have read and what I have experienced as a solo during lunch-time "forced" groupings in the main dining room, it would appear to me that most people who will choose "As You Wish" will be wishing to dine with family and friends, not strangers. They have chosen "As You Wish" in order to eat "as they wish," "when they wish," and "with whom they wish."

The problem is that they pretty much sat everyone at tables sized for their group alone. That means that we were almost always sent to a table for 6, which meant that there was no room for any extra people at our table. When we were seated at a larger table, and mentioned that we would be happy to have extra people, then we did get joined by others. However, I suspect that most families/couples are happy to have a table to themselves and don't offer to share with solo travelers. Also there was a timing issue - when we were joined at our table we had already ordered our first course, so we were never all eating the same course at the same time, the way you would be in traditional seating. If you are travelling solo, staying with traditional dining will make your life much easier.

Fred

Fred, when you have a chance, please read Construction's Dude report/review of his cruise on Oosterdam. As a single traveller he did most definitely not have a good experience with "wish upon a star" "wish I were a rich man" "as you wish dining"

I just got off the phone as we have res on the Maasdam in Oct. I spoke to them about all the posts. They told me they are trying it on the O & the Nordam. They have yet to decide if they will implement the dine as you wish.

Although, I was told that if they do they would probably have both.

Fred, when you have a chance, please read Construction's Dude report/review of his cruise on Oosterdam. As a single traveller he did most definitely not have a good experience with "wish upon a star" "wish I were a rich man" "as you wish dining"

I presume this is the post to which you are referring. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8808286

Construction Dude wanted traditional fixed dining and, unfortunately, was assigned the open-dining option. I read nothing that led me to believe that he had any problem getting tablemates. Maybe I missed it.

Fred

What I suspect is that you and your DW are in the minority in terms of being welcoming in this respect. Based upon what I have read and what I have experienced as a solo during lunch-time "forced" groupings in the main dining room, it would appear to me that most people who will choose "As You Wish" will be wishing to dine with family and friends, not strangers. They have chosen "As You Wish" in order to eat "as they wish," "when they wish," and "with whom they wish."

I understand your experience. Our experience with 62 days of open-dining cruising has been entirely the opposite.

The problem is that they pretty much sat everyone at tables sized for their group alone.That means that we were almost always sent to a table for 6, which meant that there was no room for any extra people at our table. When we were seated at a larger table, and mentioned that we would be happy to have extra people, then we did get joined by others. However, I suspect that most families/couples are happy to have a table to themselves and don't offer to share with solo travelers. Also there was a timing issue - when we were joined at our table we had already ordered our first course, so we were never all eating the same course at the same time, the way you would be in traditional seating. If you are travelling solo, staying with traditional dining will make your life much easier.

You were apparently a group of six, which I think makes the situation very different than for solos or couples.

We have never experienced your timing issue. That would appear to be easily corrected by properly training the MD.

We are usually seated with solos, couples and larger groups at our requested table size of six or eight. Dining with others is a special pleasure of our cruising. We've made some wonderful friends.

Fred

Nabby, that was a most helpful and informative post. Thank you so much for positing both your positive and negative feelings about it. I'm looking forward to hearing from more people who experience it as time goes on ... particularly those who THINK they won't like it and find out they do.

So they actually have the beepers!??? I thought for sure that was a joke. That would definitely be the deal breaker for us. I know of only one restaurant here that I will accept a beeper and that's because it's my favorite restaurant in the whole world.:) Even then, we only go there once every 6 months or so just for that reason.

Fred, Constuction Dude did not like the plan on the Oosterdam. I do not think he could have been clearer. You and your wife liked it and that's fine because that's your personal view. But you seem to be trying to pick apart every argument against it and I have to admit that's where I'm confused. Most of us stating our opinions here aren't questionning how others feel, but you do seem to be. It's such a highly personal thing!

It would definitely make it difficult for single cruisers. Some people are not as outgoing as others and are not necessarily comfortable trying to look for tablemates every night. They don't want to eat by themselves and they don't want to intrude. Unless they tweak it, I just can't see how any single person cruising could possibly like "As You Wish or As You Get" dining.

Well, call me a "nervous Nellie", but the "As You Wish Dining" sounds a little ominous for solo cruisers. I'm traveling solo for the very first time this coming June on Noordam, and I'm not looking forward to being lost in the dining room shuffle. I tend to think positively, and hope that all my fears are for naught, but it doesn't sound too good.

Should I cancel my booking, or just wait and see?

Karin

I presume this is the post to which you are referring. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8808286

Construction Dude wanted traditional fixed dining and, unfortunately, was assigned the open-dining option. I read nothing that led me to believe that he had any problem getting tablemates. Maybe I missed it.

Fred

Fred, as a single cruiser, he did not have a good experience with it:rolleyes:

So they actually have the beepers!??? I thought for sure that was a joke. That would definitely be the deal breaker for us. I know of only one restaurant here that I will accept a beeper and that's because it's my favorite restaurant in the whole world.:) Even then, we only go there once every 6 months or so just for that reason.

Heather that restaurant wouldn't be Cheesecake Factory by chance?;) I know that is one I will tolerate but then I have method I stop by there on my way home from work get the beeper, go home and Tom arrives about that time and we return. So far over the last 4 times it worked perfect, we maybe waited 3 minutes tops.

In all honestly I thought the beeper thing was a joke as well. Now to me that is plain stupid but I really wonder how often they need to use it. Is it just for those who specify they need a table for 2 that is limited and they did not make a prior reservation. I would also guess that if you chose the Dine As You Wish and you were a S Suite passenger you would most likely be able to have a standing reservation. But like I said if you chose. Remember we still have this option to have Traditional Dining.

I keep looking at our itinerary for our Noordam Alaska cruise in June (with Karin) and I see at least 3 nights that there is no way I want to go to dinner at 5:45 not with excursions we have planned we just will not make it. I am strongly considering switching to the Dine As You Wish but Tom says if we do this (which he too would like to try) he will only except a table for 2. Now I am far more open and have no problem meeting some new people and would most likely enjoy it. But if we go by Tom's wishes and insist on a table for 2 I am sure we will be waiting. Unfortunately we are not S Suite passengers for this cruise which is the first time in about 6 cruises so I have no concierge to assist us:(

I bet you all thought I was joking or going way over the top everytime I brought up the beeper. :D

I was dead serious. My thinking was there was no way it could be done without it. Princess has to use them so it only made sense that Hal would have to use them too.

Archived