Just Curious to see what Cruise Crtic HAL Board really Thinks about the Dining issue

LAFFNVEGAS

Which Dining do you Prefer  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dining do you Prefer

• Traditional, would never consider anything else or cruise on a ship if I could not have this
    • I could go either way, as long as I am cruising and they feed me.
    • Dine As You Wish, I do not want to be restricted to when, where or who I eat with.

Really?

"And put the above-quoted statement into it. Yes, they read this board in Seattle. They sometimes print and pin up on bulletin boards in conference rooms and in the halls whole threads and selected posts from this board, with statements, praises, criticisms, and problems highlighted."

Ok, one thing I have not seen mentioned is how "Dine as You Wish" affects the evening entertainment?

We have only been on Hal once so far and the four dinnng times (really 2 - upper and lower) flowed right into the entertainment schedule. We like the traditional seating. So, why don't they just dress up the Lido and Poolside in the evening, and offer a little fancier food?

(Note: We thought the first lunch at the lido was excellant but it went downhill from there. My husband did like to go get a hamburger by the pool once in a while.)

I think that just as with any number of other changes HAL has instituted in the past 3-4 yrs, that they are going to do what they feel makes sense from a financial standpoint.

As much as we might want them to take our concerns into consideration, the bottom line in corporate america these days is exactly that... the bottom line.

We prefer the traditional assigned seating practice, but for us, dinner is really only a small part of the overall HAL experience. It would take much more than a change in the dinner system to cause us to look elsewhere. We travel with another couple, and while we enjoy the folks we meet at larger tables, if we are faced with open seating at least the 4 of us will be together.

So.. we'll roll with the punches and not loose a lot of sleep over this or other changes that may be in the pipeline.

I'm headed back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off due to an illness, and trust me.. I'd a whole lot sooner be getting on a Dam ship, regardless of how they see fit to serve me dinner.

As you can see from my signature, I'm a 2-time HAL cruiser & have just booked another -- also we're 11-time Princess cruisers. I know we're definitely in the minority on this thread -- we PREFER "dine as you wish" or "anytime dining" but will do traditional, if necessary!!

On our last cruise, which was 14 nt on Prin with 9 ports, "anytime dining" was perfect!!! With so many ports & lots of snorkeling activities, some nights we were tired & being able to go the dining room when we wanted was soooo delightful!!! Since Sea Princess carried so many Brits & Europeans, who are used to eating later, there was never a wait until after 8:15 PM. We never had to make a reservation -- we just showed up around 6:30-7:15 & there were lots of vacant tables.

It was so great to plan dinnertime with new-found friends, some of whom we met here on CC and others we met on board ship or at ports -- as the 1st week ended, we had formed our own table for 8 among these new friends!!!

Traditional dining is a big one for us - we've made many lifelong friendships due in part to the traditional assigned seating on Celebrity, HAL, and RCCL. I'd be distraught if HAL became totally 'as you wish' - somehow I don't think that will be the case. I do think the idea of flexibility should be seriously considered. If, for example, 1000 passengers opt for traditional then set up the appropriate # of tables and set up the remainder in the 'as you wish' arrangement.

We vote for traditional dining.

We eat on the Lido for breakfast and lunch so we do like being served at dinner time.

We have had several bad experiences on HAL but still sail with them because of the really great people we find onboard, the large comfy staterooms and lots of activities. However, DH says that one more

drastic change or bad experience and we look elsewhere.

So, listen up HAL, you will lose customers if you do away with traditional dining. It will be interesting to see if you care.

We are trying Princess for the first time in April (the itinerary and the thought of sailing from San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge were irresistable) and originally thought we'd try their personal dining option. However, after reading the Princess boards, we began to rethink the situation. We changed to 8:00 traditional seating instead and felt very lucky to have it. It's my understanding that traditional dining fills up first. I like having my table waiting for me and getting to know the wait staff. (I don't want a pager to tell me my table is ready.)

We like traditional and have no interest in "As You Wish". I have no problem with HAL offering an open seating option as long as we traditionalists (especially those of us who book early) are able to get the time (early or late) we prefer and the same table/tablemates/waiters every night without having to "make reservations" after we board.

I think HAL has handled these "experiments" very poorly from a PR standpoint and expressed that during a phone call with ship services the other day. They have three different systems going at the same time on various ships and no one seems to know for sure which system they will be subject to and that includes most of the people at HAL who you call for an answer. There is nothing on the website explaining it. In fact, if you go through the exercise of booking online for our 12/1 Noordam cruise, you will find that they list four choices for dining.....Early Upper, Early Lower, Main Upper, Main Lower and Open! :eek: Now we know that is not true! If you request either lower seating you will end up waitlisted for upper and probably be stuck with open!

I also voted for Traditional as we do like to sit with the same table mates each night and get to know them and hear what they have done throughout the day.

Saying that, we have booked a cruise next year on Oceania where it is anytime dining so it will be a new experience for us.

Even though we have sailed on Princess quite a few times we have always been on the ships with the Traditional dining eg. Pacific and Tahitian Princesses and the Regal Princess so as yet haven't experienced anytime dining.

Jennie

I selected traditional, but I'd not go so far as to say I'd not even consider something else.

I'm also sort of in the same "boat" as you. I definitely prefer traditional ... but if I had no alternative but "As You Wish" Dining, I could deal with it, ONLY on cruises where I was sailing with a companion. I would never sail on a ship that offered no alternative to "As You Wish" as a solo ... because in my opinion solos get shafted under this new dining plan.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Saying that, we have booked a cruise next year on Oceania where it is anytime dining so it will be a new experience for us.

I believe Oceana is in a different category altogether. They can easily handle "anytime" on their ships because the vessels are smaller, and they can conceivably seat everyone at the same time if all passengers arrived at dinner pretty much at the same time. As a single traveler, I probably wouldn't be too put out by "anytime" dining on a luxury line, such as Oceana, specifically because they generally carry less passengers. The Matri 'd can get to know people's preferences and even if you are a single, he is more likely to be able to get you seated with others that you will be compatible with ... so that you don't have to dine alone. With the large mass market lines, there are simply too many passengers onboard for the Matri 'd to provide this sort of personalize service. The single either finds their own dining companions, or she eats alone. If there happens to be a big table forming with a group of unrelated travelers, he will seat you there. But if not, it's gonna be an awfully quiet meal for the single.

Blue skies ...

--rita

............They don't believe that if they piss us off we'll leave, and even if they do they really don't care.

Attention on deck!:eek: Man action stations! The Ref is on the war path and he's got Seattle in his cross hairs:D

Just two more pennies. We like the traditional dining on HAL. We always pick/ask for a large table (eight or ten) because we like meeting new folks. Made some great friends that way. So, you say, "Leisure Dining Service" or it's flexible successor now on Oosterdam and Noordam is perfect for you. Well, we experienced that option ("Leisure Dining Service") twice now on Oosterdam but as it turned out, our table mates and us kept showing up at the traditional times we were all used to. The choice of different dinner times available to us under flexible dining is no big thing to us. We are used to the 8:00 or 8:15 PM start time and it works out fine.

In addition, being creatures of habit, we just happen to like taking care of the introductions of new table mates on the first evening and then having the opportunity to get to know those folks during the next six/nine/eleven, you name it, days. Made some great friends that way. Getting new people at your table every night and having to start those introductions over and over again and then not seeing those folks again kinda defeats that purpose.

I fully agree with Lisa that it's a little too soon to start worrying about HAL doing away with "traditional dining" on all thirteen of her dam ships. If that time were to come sometime in the future, we'll deal with it then:) In the mean time we'll continue to worry about how to combat and bring to justice blatant booze on board smugglers, felonious dress code violators, irritating chair hogs, hazmat baby diapers in hot tubs and, least but not last, those rascals that continue to affix bungee cords to their balcony doors in order to keep them open during the night! We know who you are!! You can run but you cannot hide!!;)

I would prefer traditional dining...assuming that I could get a table for 2. It would be much nicer to have the same server each day--I think that works out better for guests (better service, server gets to know what you like / your pace) and for servers (better tips). But, if I could not get a table for 2 through traditional dining, I might prefer anytime dining...I'd prefer not to sit with the same group of 6-8 other people for 20 days.

We love the idea of traveling out of NYC and last year tried NCL. What a mistake. I believe that "freestyle" means no service and you pay for everything. We will never sail NCL again and feel that freestyle can work, they have just failed miserably at it. Our service level, from room steward to buffet to dining rooms was at the lowest level of any cruise I have ever taken. We called it amatuer night in the dining room because no one seemed to know what they were doing, what they were supposed to be doing and there was no one seemingly in charge. We are pack animals (travel in large groups) and there was no one in our large group that would even consider NCL again. If my only choice were NCL and flying to a port, I would fly in a minute. I think that Princess has the right idea, giving passengers a choice between tradition and freestyle. I do not believe that HAL offering a window for dining will affect me personnally because our group all goes together for dinner so there will be no differences in time. However, the singles and couples may have some difficulty. I think the jury is still out.

I selected traditional dining too! I think once again HAL is trying to be a line for all people and it just can't happen. If the free-range passengers of the "anytime" set aren't being attracted then why get rid of the passengers who selected lines like HAL because they prefer the traditional dining.

I have heard both good and bad on the subject of "Anytime". NCL and Princess fans seem to love their variation on the matter but I have also heard from non-board members that they didn't like it this way simply because there wasn't a lot of choices due to the fact every place you walk into was packed to the rafters and you had to wait to eat. This camp of people said they would gladly go back to traditional dining. So............can both sides be right?

All I know is that I am on vacation and want service. I don't want a fast food bar and I don't want a buffet. I want to sit down, have a good meal and good service. In the end I think a lot of us just want that. Traditional dining seems to at least allow us the knowledge that we will get a defnite seat and we know when we have to show up so its easy to plan for.

I do agree with that poster who plainly said it all - that the problem seems to be that HAL is doing a disservice by experimenting and not letting anyone know until after the passengers are booked and unable to change their minds. I don't believe I'd be too happy to be forced to eat "As you wish" if I went with the intention of traditional dining. So I can definitely see why an industry trend is being attacked on the HAL side. Its really the way its being handled more than the issue itself.

David

I like traditional dining. I've been assigned to the early lower diningroom on my upcoming Noordam cruise and think that is a window from 5:30 to 6, but I'm not sure. I would resent standing in a line waiting to be served. Some of the other ships seem to have more dining spots, more types of choices, and I didn't think they also had to wait in line for those.

If I wanted to chose my dining time, I would also opt for the Lido, the Pinacle or room service on the balcony.

Quite frankly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about! I take a vacation to get away from it all and to relax, not to eat (or dine)! We are not newbies, we are taking our 5th HAL cruise in a few weeks and our 15th cruise overall. We usually take dinner in the formal dining room at the main seating and for the most part have enjoyed meeting new people even the character who kept baiting the German couple by bringing up the war every chance that he could! It was like a scene out of "Fawlty Towers"!

We choose the Lido on the so-called formal nights because we refuse to pretend to be something that we are not! And yes I do wear a jacket and tie on formal night so please don't threaten to confine me to my room on formal nights!

We took NCL's Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda this past summer (because it sailed out of Boston close to home) and enjoyed the ambiance of being able to get a table for two with their Freestyle Dining. Despite what others may say, things are not going to ____ in a handbasket!

If folks want traditional, that's fine with me, let them go for it. If folks want "as you choose" and sometimes that is us, that is fine too. Please do not regiment all of us.

Some cc board members seem to have too much time on their hands and complain too much. My wife and I enjoy the quality of a HAL experience and will not boycott the line because of dining schedules!

Tip, I agree with you 100%. I am not a newbie either and I have sailed on about 20 cruises. We are taking our 3rd HAL cruise in Oct. We personally would like a seating between 6:30-7:00. As it stands now it is it 5:45 or 6:15 we took 6:15. Now if it changes to Dine as you wish. we have no problem with it. As for having the same waiter, yes it would be nice but meeting new people it also nice. We ususally have a drink and chat before we even order. Would I stop crusiing HAL, ABSOLUTELY NOT! Remember the tips, HAL was the last to automatically include it and people fussed about that. Many of us do not like CHANGE and it takes many of us time to get use to CHANGE whern it occurs. My god oyu on Vacation, relaxe, enjoy DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY!

Susie

I went on my first cruise in 1980. Back in the day one had assigned dinning for all three meals, with the same table and waiter for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This was true of every line I sailed back then. On some port days the dinning room had open seating, but by and large it was set. There was a lido, but a great number of folks took their meals in the dinning rooms.

What is my point? That things change. No one on any of the many posts I have ever read here, when talking of the dinning issue make this point. So the cruise lines think, if we change an old school tradition like set dinning for breakfast and lunch, and today no one gives it a second thought, why not dinner? Go to other parts of the world and you will see that lunch is as big an " event" as dinner.

Does anyone miss assigned tables for breakfast or lunch?

Quite frankly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about! I take a vacation to get away from it all and to relax, not to eat (or dine)! We are not newbies, we are taking our 5th HAL cruise in a few weeks and our 15th cruise overall. We usually take dinner in the formal dining room at the main seating and for the most part have enjoyed meeting new people even the character who kept baiting the German couple by bringing up the war every chance that he could! It was like a scene out of "Fawlty Towers"!

I think most people do take a vacation to get away from it all. Many of us choose cruising and dining is a very big part of it for many. The dining experience makes it very different than a land vacation.

It may not mean a thing to you but to many on this board it does. :)

I just booked my first HAl cruise but have been on at least 10 cruises to date on most of the major lines. My last cruise was to the Med on Princess. We had anytime dining on that cruise it it worked out great. We were in 10 cities in 12 days - just 2 at sea days. Most days we did not get back to the till after 5:00 and were tired from running all day. It was so great to be able to just relax and get dressed and go to dinner when I wanted to. The most time we ever waited was 5 minutes for a table. We met very nice people that we had dinner with on a couple of nights. But in all honesty, it was nice to not have dinner with the same people every night and meet new people when we wanted to or sit at a table for 2 and not have to feel "on" after a long day sightseeing.

So when we decided to go back to Europe, we did not even want to consider HAL simply because they did not have anytime dining as an option. But I loved the ports that the ship we are going is stopping at and no other line had anything comparable. So we booked HAL and hopefully it will be fine. But having a choice like Princess does is great. And there is a thread at the Princess board from a few weeks ago about anytime dining v traditional. So many more people spoke up for anytime dining than did traditional.

Just my 2 cents.....

Lynn

Exactly. There is no reason to set one level for each style, if HAL decides to have separate styles of dining. There is no reason that if 75% (for example) of the passengers on a cruise want traditional HAL cannot allocate sufficient tables for them. Why does traditional have to be held at 50% (roughly. I know the two levels have a different number of seats).

The best I think they can do, on their current ships, is allocate the level with the largest number of tables to the dining format that proves the most popular. And, frankly, I think on the ships with shorter itineraries, popular family-style destinations, that's gonna be freestyle. A lot of the younger cruisers are not used to eating with strangers ... and are also used to being able to eat when they want. They're gonna love "As You Wish."

But, not to worry, Ruth. We'll be okay. We both like doing longer itineraries on smaller ships anyway, and I doubt their dining room configurations can support two dining options. It would have to be one way or the other ... and I doubt they'll anger all their "traditional" type passengers with a freestyle ship. What we have to worry about is years from now ... when all HAL has in their fleet are newer, bigger ships. But, by that time, neither one of us may be cruising any longer ... or at least we may no longer care. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

The best I think they can do, on their current ships, is allocate the level with the largest number of tables to the dining format that proves the most popular. And, frankly, I think on the ships with shorter itineraries, popular family-style destinations, that's gonna be freestyle. A lot of the younger cruisers are not used to eating with strangers ... and are also used to being able to eat when they want. They're gonna love "As You Wish."

But, not to worry, Ruth. We'll be okay. We both like doing longer itineraries on smaller ships anyway, and I doubt their dining room configurations can support two dining options. It would have to be one way or the other ... and I doubt they'll anger all their "traditional" type passengers with a freestyle ship. What we have to worry about is years from now ... when all HAL has in their fleet are newer, bigger ships. But, by that time, neither one of us may be cruising any longer ... or at least we may no longer care. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, this is exactly what I guess I have been trying to say. Unfortunately this is the wave of the future. But my honest gut feeling is HAL will always have some traditional Dining and will keep it traditional on the smaller ships and longer voyages. I feel they have seen the demand on the 7 day cruises and Vista Class ships. The voting is certaining not a land slide for Traditional only but it also shows the majority of us want it.

Big Corporations have to do what is the most profitable for the company. If they can sell more cruises offering this type of Dining they mostly likely will make the change but I feel that HAL will always offer the Traditional along side the Dine As You Wish.

The only frustrating part now is the unknown from week to week on the Oosterdam sadly it may also be unknown to HAL as well.

There is a logistical problem involved if you are seated at a table with others. I was fortunate recently on the Noordam that all six of us were traditionalists and all arrived at 5:30 each night without any consultation among us. So it worked out just fine.

It would have been a disaster if two had arrived at 6pm (end of the window) while the rest of us were starting on main courses. To make more flexible hours work, they would need to seat people as they arrived, not by fixed table, much as they do for breakfast or lunch. I would not like that as much as it is nice to get to know tablemates over the course of the cruise.

That said, there is still a need for flexibility .. if one wishes to change schedule one night for some reason .. without either going to the Lido buffet or plunking down more for Pinnacle dining. Or to sit with new friends you have met onboard. Most likely the dining rooms are not big enough to allow for unassigned tables for such walkins or re-assignments.

It is not an easy job to accommodate the entire shipload in the dining rooms at best, being more flexible is really a nightmare.

Archived