Do you..or don't you???

ladysail2

I finally bought some TSA locks for our bags this last cruise and had no problems. Previously I was using cable ties to secure the bags while they were being handled by the airlines and TSA. The last 3 times we flew (using cable ties), my luggage had been opened, and rummaged through. There was no notes from the TSA inside. I don't know who opened our luggage our why because the TSA didn't leave a note.

Now I use cheap luggage and TSA locks and hand carry anything of value.

Whenever we've flown out of Ft. Myers, FL (our local airport) we've have been clearly instructed by the security staff to leave luggage unlocked. If there are locks on the bags they won't accept them.

I agree, aprilrad, the rules seem to be inconsistent. I sort of liked it when one had to stand while they rummaged through the luggage. It took longer, but then the locks could go on and nothing ever happened again.

I wish I could be like a passport...declared honest and harmless....and my luggage wouldn't have to be 'inspected'...wouldn't that be nice.....:D sort of have a lifetime 'seal of approval' stamped on me.

If I could give advice to the 'inspectors' of the luggage, I would ask that they reattach the inner ties...they undid them, please do them back up. And don't break the locks or zipper pulls. I did inquire at my local luggage store...they charge $15 for each zipper pull replaced. So I'll give it some thought....they had some nice luggage in there too......:p

Where in the world did you get that idea? With a little research I believe you'll find that's not true.

Actually it is pretty common knowledge, and one of the things that the 9/11 commission pointed out.

The biggest reason is that it would cost too much money. Hassling passengers and making it appear that they are doing something is way cheaper. :D

There, now don't you feel safer. :eek:

Cheers,

Peter

I live in Canada, and do believe that it the the US inspection that broke the locks...so I don't think a claim would work. I doubt if anyone would assume the responsibility.

Being a US citizen won't help you get money for damages. I've had the insides of my suitcases destroyed by inspectors. One even ripped my clear plastic organizer (with shampoo and such in it in original containers), straight out of the sides of the suitcase by the rivets, destroying it, even tho it was only snapped on. Filing a complaint did no good (I'm a US citizen) as they have the right to do whatever they want apparently, and I can't "prove" that it wasn't already damaged. It's the class bully from grade school with laws to protect him. I believe this is not typical of most US inspectors however, but is unusual and I hate to see it as a representation of our country to others.

Thanks for the cable ties suggestion, I'm definitely trying that next time. I've hated sending my suitcase through unlocked!

Guess I've missed something, somewhere but the information I receive with my tickets indicate that luggage shall not be locked and that the airlines may search your bags. Bags do go through x-ray and if there is anything "suspicious" they go through the bag and (in our case) have always left a note that the bag was opened.

Luggage can be locked as long as you use the TSA approved locks or similar to the plastic wire ties where they can just cut them off. Of course, you can use any other type of lock but take a chance that if they want to get into your suitcase they can cut off the lock.

When flying in europe we've always locked the cases and never had a problem. But when we flew from europe to the US and had a connection in Newark, they broke the locks and opened one of the bags. Perhaps the unlock luggage is a US thing. If your traveling within/connecting in the US you need to have the bags unlocked or have one of those TSA locks.

PTC

A couple of people, myself included, posted that we've never locked our luggage and never had anything taken, nor has it appeared that our luggage was even opened. I'm thinking perhaps, if your luggage is locked, it becomes a target as someone may think there is something of value in it. Just a thought.

That's an interesting thought but I've never locked my bags and been inspected several times. The last time (I think in Dayton or Atlanta) I had small items taken. Bath and Body works soaps and lotions. No thing of real value but it's still annoying.:mad:

That's an interesting thought but I've never locked my bags and been inspected several times. The last time (I think in Dayton or Atlanta) I had small items taken. Bath and Body works soaps and lotions. No thing of real value but it's still annoying.:mad:

Not just annoying...it's downright theft! That is my argument...'they'..those that have the power to inspect...insist that they have access to our personal property......then items are missing, locks are missing (even if they are TSA approved)..and/or zippers are ruined. I did ask at our local luggage shop about having zippers replaced, she said the cost is prohibitive...but a zipper pull can be replaced for $15 each.

Can you imagine the outcry if our insurance inspectors demanded that they come to our home to inspect what goods we are insuring....then we find out that they have 'lifted' items from our home......they would be charged with theft.

Yes, we have no recourse, it's sad. I liked when we had to stand by our suitcase while it was being inspected...then everything was on the up and up!!

I guess the only solution is to stop flying....but that won't happen.

I'm glad that all of you responded to my question...I've enjoyed reading your responses. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we only encounter honest and ethical baggage inspectors. They are in the majority, thank goodness.

Archived