Do you..or don't you???

ladysail2

...lock your luggage before flying?

My suitcase has two lockable zipper compartments...so I dutifully locked them both using TSA-approved locks. They were inspected...no problem there....but instead of using a TSA key to release the locks...the 'official' broke off one of the zipper pulls...on each zipper. Sure, the lock was still attached to one zipper pull.....and the zipper was open.....:( .

Effectively, the suitcase is now unsuitable for flying...unless I have both zippers replaced...which is expensive...and of course, no guarantee that they will be ruined again.

Nothing of extreme value is in my suitcase....but I do want everything to make it home okay. It belongs to me and I feel the airlines/security/inspection have an obligation to treat my personal property with respect....

So I'm in a quandry....should I lock the next suitcase next time or just leave it open and hope for the best?

Any thoughts?

Hi There,

Have always locked cases, never had any problems was asked for the very first time this year in Ft L if bags were locked I said yes, and that was that.

Why should bags not be locked, is this a US issue.

yours Shogun

Hi There,

Have always locked cases, never had any problems was asked for the very first time this year in Ft L if bags were locked I said yes, and that was that.

Why should bags not be locked, is this a US issue.

yours Shogun

Because the US TSA and DHS have this inordinate desire to rummage through everyones dirty clothing all on the pretence that it somehow makes flying safer. Even though the cargo that goes into the hold of these same planes passes unchecked. :confused:

Makes me happy to know they are working hard to make the skies safer. :eek:

Cheers,

Peter

...lock your luggage before flying?

My suitcase has two lockable zipper compartments...so I dutifully locked them both using TSA-approved locks. They were inspected...no problem there....but instead of using a TSA key to release the locks...the 'official' broke off one of the zipper pulls...on each zipper. Sure, the lock was still attached to one zipper pull.....and the zipper was open.....:( .

Effectively, the suitcase is now unsuitable for flying...unless I have both zippers replaced...which is expensive...and of course, no guarantee that they will be ruined again.

Nothing of extreme value is in my suitcase....but I do want everything to make it home okay. It belongs to me and I feel the airlines/security/inspection have an obligation to treat my personal property with respect....

So I'm in a quandry....should I lock the next suitcase next time or just leave it open and hope for the best?

Any thoughts?

I would defintely lock them. After all it will keep the honest people out of it. I think if you used the TSA approved locks and they broke your suitcase they have an obligation to fix it. Maybe you should have put in a claim.

Guess I've missed something, somewhere but the information I receive with my tickets indicate that luggage shall not be locked and that the airlines may search your bags. Bags do go through x-ray and if there is anything "suspicious" they go through the bag and (in our case) have always left a note that the bag was opened.

HI...Just Wondering if you are not flying and driving to the port if anyone locks their luggage. I'm sure the bags go through security checks, and are x-rayed, but do you lock them??

I always lock with a TSA lock.

OP, did you put in a claim with the airline for the bag?

We use TSA-approved locks. Locks aren't foolproof but make it just a little more difficult for someone to go through your stuff if they have a mind to. We never pack anything in checked luggage that we can't live without. You should definitely use locks when embarking and disembarking the ship.

Guess I've missed something, somewhere but the information I receive with my tickets indicate that luggage shall not be locked and that the airlines may search your bags. Bags do go through x-ray and if there is anything "suspicious" they go through the bag and (in our case) have always left a note that the bag was opened.

Would agree - we are always sent details with our tickets for P&O and Princess and told "never lock your luggage" . - Maybe we should now?:confused:

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I will go with the cable ties from now on.

Yes, the US Inspection team left a note in my suitcase that they had searched it...and I have no problem with that....but the newly broken zippers was a disappointment. There was no need to remove the zipper pulls..both locks clearly state TSA approved. I believe that the person responsible didn't have, or couldn't bother using a key.

I live in Canada, and do believe that it the the US inspection that broke the locks...so I don't think a claim would work. I doubt if anyone would assume the responsibility.

Another sort of 'heart stopper' was that because the rather heavy locks were only attached to one zipper pull....it made it easy for that part of the zipper to start opening as the bag was handled, thrown around, etc. And sure enough one zipper was opened about 7 to 8 inches when I found it at the airport......thankfully nothing fell out.

from the desert......you can now use TSA approved locks on your luggage..even if the documentation says not to lock them....before TSA approved locks...we couldn't lock the luggage.

crissyp.....when embarking and disembarking....even the ship's information says to put the luggage, locked, outside the stateroom before midnight..etc. etc. It's just a precaution against petty pilfering by who-knows-who.....while you're not in control of your luggage.

willysgrandma.....I don't think the airline would accept any responsibility for this damage...it wasn't caused by them.

shogun.....I don't know if this is just a US issue....I did happen to fly between Canada and the US this time. It's the only time my baggage has been this damaged, and really, with proof of who did it.

Again, I thank you all for your responses...the cable ties are a heck of alot cheaper than new locks or new suitcases!

I'd asked a similar question on another board and got no response but maybe you can answer here. I, too, have been using the TSA locks with no problems in the U.S. Yes, on occasion, they've been searched and a note left inside the bag, but bags were relocked.

After an overnight in Vancouver two years ago after a southbound cruise, we took our luggage (locked) to the airport and, while going through customs, were asked by the agents for the keys to the TSA locks. Not a problem, as we were standing right there.

Now the question: If I purchase a transfer from ship to airport in Vancouver, can I use the locks on my luggage? I've not purchased a transfer before so I'm not familiar with what happens to luggage. Do I locate it at the airport again and then take it through customs before I board the plane U.S. bound?

TSA unlocked and checked my bag on a recent flight but did not replace the lock. I called the phone number at the bottom of the slip that they put in my luggage (the one saying that my bag was checked) and spoke with a TSA rep about it. She said that I could go to their website, download the claim forms, and mail/fax them in. I never did it because it was only a $5 lock, but if your suitcase is unusable, I'd definitely check it out! I believe she said it would take several weeks to process everything, so the sooner, the better. Hope this helps. :)

On my past 5 cruises and numerous other trips, I've never locked my luggage. I don't pack anything of any value in my suitcases. I've heard many stories of TSA locks being cut off, so why bother? I've never had my suitcase opened, at least haven't been notified that it was and nothing has ever been taken either.

We used to use the cable ties. IF you decide to do this, make sure you bring extras along with you in your carry-on bag. If the TSA decides to open your luggage in front of you, they may not have extra zip ties around, so you'll have to put one on yourself.

We use TSA approved locks now. I got tired of having to carry extra cable ties around and having to cut them when we got to our destination. You can't carry scissors in your carry-on, so you have to borrow them from someone at the hotel or on the ship to get the cables cut OR pick at them with fingernail clippers. Too tiresome and tedious! :mad:

Hi

We are told here in Toronto not to lock them becuase the U.S. will want to open them and if they are lcked and they don't have the key, they will break the lock. I definitely think it is a U.S. thing:confused: . So I never lock mine and have not ever had a problem.

True, if you don't lock your luggage...there is no problem of losing locks or ruined zippers....other things can happen.

I travel with two suitcases...and in my situation...those two suitcase took 4 flights....2 there, and 2 home......and only one incident happened. So in essence the percentage of 'incidence' was low....and this was the first time that any of my suitcases was ruined out of all the times I've flown.....which has been quite a few.....so things can happen!! Just wait...

I won't make a claim....thanks for the idea.....I bought the suitcase in Florence, Italy...so if they fly me back to repurchase it...that would be great :D !

Worse things could have happened...my belongings weren't lost and I did get my suitcase, others haven't been so lucky.

Thanks again for the tips....

You can't carry scissors in your carry-on, so you have to borrow them from someone at the hotel or on the ship to get the cables cut OR pick at them with fingernail clippers. Too tiresome and tedious! :mad:

Not true. Scissors with blunt tips are allowed in both carry-ons and checked bags.

Any time we are "separated" from our luggage and know it could be inspected whether flying or it going through ship security, we use cable ties. We put an old regular size nail clipper in an unsecured pocket of the suitcase so that we can break the tie. Our valuable stuff gets carried on with us.

The only time we use our luggage locks any more is in our hotel room or ship cabin if we have something that doesn't fit in the safe and even then we know that's risky.

In case there's someone that isn't familiar with cable or zip ties, you can find them in the electrical supply aisle of whatever hardware store is in your area. They come in various lengths and widths. I use the smallest I can find. Oh, and this is important, DON'T cinch/zip it all the way to the luggage zipper pull--it's easier to get the clipper in there to get it open.

Any time we are "separated" from our luggage and know it could be inspected whether flying or it going through ship security, we use cable ties. We put an old regular size nail clipper in an unsecured pocket of the suitcase so that we can break the tie. Our valuable stuff gets carried on with us.

The only time we use our luggage locks any more is in our hotel room or ship cabin if we have something that doesn't fit in the safe and even then we know that's risky.

In case there's someone that isn't familiar with cable or zip ties, you can find them in the electrical supply aisle of whatever hardware store is in your area. They come in various lengths and widths. I use the smallest I can find. Oh, and this is important, DON'T cinch/zip it all the way to the luggage zipper pull--it's easier to get the clipper in there to get it open.

Because the US TSA and DHS have this inordinate desire to rummage through everyones dirty clothing all on the pretence that it somehow makes flying safer. Even though the cargo that goes into the hold of these same planes passes unchecked. :confused:

Makes me happy to know they are working hard to make the skies safer. :eek:

Cheers,

Peter

Where in the world did you get that idea? With a little research I believe you'll find that's not true.

Actually, peterv is correct. Most of the cargo that is transported on planes is unchecked. Passenger bags are screened, but most commercial cargo is not. Check out the following article to see what Congress is proposing to do about it:

http://www.aircargoworld.com/news/index.htm#a

I have rarely locked my suitcases and have been on hundreds of flights over the years. I have never lost anything out of a suitcase. There is always a chance that something could go missing, but that could also happen from a bag locked with a TSA approved locked.

I have flown from the US to Europe and Asia, and different places in North America. I have had suitcases damaged a couple of time and have had them take trips to places I have never been without me.

I feel if someone wants to steal from me they will, lock or no. So far trusting that people will be honest has worked for me. I don't take anything with me that can't be replaced.

I would be more apted to lock or cable tie my suitcase for disembarkment from a cruise ship then when checking it with the airport. Far fewing people are around my luggage at the airport then at the cruise terminal. But even then I doubt anyone would really want my dirty clothes.

Angela

I have never locked my luggage and have never had anything go missing, but I know I've been lucky. I carry all valuables with me.

I love the idea of the cable ties though. I'm all for MARKING my luggage so no one mistakes my bag for theirs (which has happened to me.) I even recently got hot pink suitcases (that I refer to as my Barbie® luggage) just so my luggage would stand out - only to find several other families on my cruise had the same luggage! :eek:

So now, I'll get the cable ties, AND some yellow "caution" tape.... :D

Archived