Todd English: dinner x lunch

paulista1950

I understand the rationale on paying much less for lunch than dinner at first class restaurants, and I took advantage of it many times, all over the world.

But, when you are cruising, isn't it the same spending two hours eating at noon or at the evening? So, here is my question:

Being it easier to book (and cheaper!) why wouldn't I prefer to have lunch at Todd English? Am I missing something here?

I would probably never book Todd English. I would be afraid of missing something fabulous at the Brittania. This is less likely to be so for lunch than dinner.

The flip side is that people are less likely to be dressed to the nines at lunch. And the other atmospheric issue is that Todd English overlooks the 8 deck pool. You may not be delighted seeing folks in bathing suits or even seeing the sun through the windows.

So, while i have never eaten there, and maybe someone who has could elucidate better, those are my thoughts.

Karie,

who hates to miss anything in the Brittania!

Hi,

I had dinner at Todd English during a QM2 cruise in 2004 and lunch at Todd English during a QM2 cruise in 2006. During lunch, the atmosphere was more casual and the room was not very full. However, the experience was still very nice. Because it was cold and raining, there was no one outside near the pool. I think lunch is a good time to try Todd English because it is easier to obtain reservations and it does not force you to miss dinner in the main restaurant.

My wife and I have been on the Queen Mary 2 three times and have dined in the Britannia Restaurant. We are booked again for November 2007.

On our first and third cruise we dined for lunch in Todd English and loved it. We found the service and food very good. Both times the dining room was not crowded and easy to get reservations on our cabin telephone.

The Tood English Restaurant is very attractive and makes for good photos. As far as people around the pool, if anyone should be in it, ask for a table away from the windows unless you enjoy looking at others in bathing suits and what ever else they may wear. The restaurant is only open when not in a port.

Also make reservations one night in La Piazza or Lotus or The Carvery in Kings Court when you are tired of getting dressy for dinner. There are no charges to dine in these areas of Kings Court.

Once on board the QM2, it is nice to experience as much as you can by dining in different places. You will not be disappointed.

Have fun and enjoy your experience on the QM2!

Terrence

As far as people around the pool, if anyone should be in it, ask for a table away from the windows unless you enjoy looking at others in bathing suits and what ever else they may wear.

Can one make a booking by the window and, at the same time, make a booking for some nice young ladies in the pool at the same time? :D

Matthew

"I would be afraid of missing something fabulous at the Brittania"

Me too.

"This is less likely to be so for lunch than dinner"

Good point.

"unless you enjoy looking at others in bathing suits "

It all depends on what kind of others are we talking here.

"Also make reservations one night in La Piazza or Lotus or The Carvery"

I'll.

We were on QM2 in Dec and did 1 each lunch, dinner at TE. Lunch not very busy but entree choices more limited than dinner. Lunch was fine but I would have liked more choice. Suggest visiting early and check out the lunch menu choice to decide if suitable - I would think they know at least 1 day ahead. Great dessert: chocolate volcano. Enjoy

don't know ANYTHING about pool with women by TE - I was with my wife AND SAW NOTHING!

[thread=461474]My Dec QM2 review[/thread]

I would probably never book Todd English. I would be afraid of missing something fabulous at the Brittania.

I am going to be in the Queen's Grill on a transatlantic crossing in April. Is Todd English worth missing a meal in the Queen's Grill? I was also thinking of lunch in TE for the same reasons as the poster above has about Brittania.

Frankly, I don't think missing a Queen's Grill dinner in favor of Todd English would be worth it. Having lived in Boston (Todd English's home town and original restaurants), I have eaten his food several times. For lunch, possibly, but be forewarned you may not need dinner. We booked a lunch date and then cancelled since the seas were rough and we were not in the mood for a heavy heavy meal. His portions tend to be quite generous, multi-layered, multi-flavored, etc.

We had lunch at Todd English this past fall and really enjoyed the menu. The crab cakes were super as was the lobster salad and the short ribs. The lobster corn chowder that people have raved about wasn't on the lunch menu but I didn't really feel we missed much.

What we also didn't miss was a gentleman changing into his suit at the pool. It did give us something to talk about at our dinner table that evening! Sorry, kindly chap, no ladies thst day in October!

My husband and I ahd lunch at Todd English-being unwilling to miss a dinner at Britannia. We were the only ones in the restaurant. It was a little akward. The food was fabulous, but definitely different than an evening meal. we did not order a whole bottle of wine which we do at dinner and it enhances the mood and atmosphere.

On another note, we did have two women ( on the ruebenesque side) change on deck. the changing room wasn't 10 feet away! Very interesting. since I was facing the window and my husband had his back to it, I had to relay the view to him. Again, it made for interesting fodder for dinner conversation.

Archived