any amateur radio users out there?

rfoust

This is the first time I ever saw a posting re ham radio on these boards. My Dad was W2LZX and I spent many hours sitting by his side when I was young (even bootlegged a bit myself). Brings back many fond memories.

73s & 88s

I never took any of my radios, though I want to sometime. Technically, you need permission from the Captain or Chief Radio Officer before using any radio transmitting equipment on the ship.

Practically, no one asks permission. I know you won't get it from the head office in Miami, (Tried that) but you could ask at the radio room.

KC5VF

This is the first time I ever saw a posting re ham radio on these boards. My Dad was W2LZX and I spent many hours sitting by his side when I was young (even bootlegged a bit myself). Brings back many fond memories.

73s & 88s

Wow same here, remember some of the morse code as well I thought ham radio was a dying breed I guess not.

My dad still uses it, used to be VE3 FOG now is VE3JK

Have a good one.

My husband (KB0COW) always takes a handheld anytime we travel, cruise or otherwise. We usually just listen, alot of times we are picking up chit chat in languages we can't understand anyway.

When we were on the Song of Norway he did visit the radio room and got some great pictures of it. Course that was back in 1989 so security was not a big issue then...

Bev (KB0GLI)

WOW! So glad to read this thread! My grandfather is a HAM diehard (W2HD). I'd sit in his "radio shack" (his office with his radios :)) and listen patiently as he transmitted Morse code (never quite catching on to it... lol), but loving the experience nonetheless. What a wonderful art that is, thankfully, alive and well! Have a wonderful cruise! :D

I haven't taken a radio aboard, except a Marine UHF. Maybe I'll take a 2 meter handheld next cruise to see what I can hear. You have to ask for permission from the Captain in order to transmit.

73s

KI6ATL

Simple solution to that is to wait until you are ashore in a port and then transmit. Or you could just "copy the mail."

3's and 8s!

Simple solution to that is to wait until you are ashore in a port and then transmit. Or you could just "copy the mail."

3's and 8s!

Unfortunately, that doesn't help with the fact that a US license isn't necessarily any good in foreign ports. Not all countries have reciprocal agreements with the US. Like someone else already said, you have to be careful transmitting in other countries territorial waters. Do your homework ahead of time, ensure that reciprocal agreements are in place, or apply for permission to use your equipment. FWIW, here's what RCL says about "radio" equipment, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000EVc0324hrbM3vs6ADDUgsf5:10ktdmqkf?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2717&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq.

KD4DYR

• 1 month later...

Although RCL lists "ham radio equipment" as not allowed, you will also read the following in the FAQ section:

Q: Are walkie-talkies allowed onboard? s.gif A: Dect phones (portable phones) are available to rent for $25.00 a week on Radiance and Voyager class vessels. Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change). Guests are also allowed to have two-way radios, more commonly know as walkie-talkies, for onboard personal communications. Basic specifications are as follows: Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna.

It would seem to me that an amateur HT operating at 5 watts would certainly qualify as a walkie-talkie just as much as an FRS radio or any other HT/walkie-talkie that you would bring on board. An HT antenna is attached and you would be operating voice. I don't think this is an issue. I think RCL is referring to large transceivers, external antennas, etc.

While both my DW and I are licensed we use FRS radios to avoid any legal complication.

I always bring my trusty R-10 wideband receiver with me to monitor local traffic and do a little SWL off our balcony.

73 Mike WB2BLJ

Wow! This thread has brought a little tear to my eye as my late father was an avid ham radio operator (K4QMY). I, too, sat as a child in the 50's and early 60's in his "shack" and had a ball talking to folks all over the world. It was a great experience.

I never brought any radio equipment on board. Hypo is correct, you need to aquire premission from the Captain or CRO before transmitting. I do see pesons with HTs on deck from time to time.

73s

KK6WZ

I had written Holland America for permission to use ham radio HTs (VHF/UHF) on our upcoming Alaska cruise. The response I got back from the cruiseline was that it would be ok to bring my radios and use them with no repercussions.

Mark

WØBG

Checking this list is certainly important. I can tell you that on our last cruise we had stops in Antigua, St Maarten, St Lucia and Barbados. We have reciprocal agreements with each these. Most of the Caribbean is covered.

Mark

I never brought any radio equipment on board. Hypo is correct, you need to aquire premission from the Captain or CRO before transmitting. I do see pesons with HTs on deck from time to time.

73s

KK6WZ

Actually, permission of the CRO or Captain isn't enough legally. As ARRL notes..."If the ship is of foreign registry, you must obtain a reciprocal operating authorization from the country of registry"... which would have to be obtained from an Embassy or Consulate.

Here is a link to the ARRL FAQ:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/maritime.html#wife

Gene N5ABI