Review BTB Tahitian Princess, Jan16-5

cindygad

After 18 cruises this is my first review. I want to thank everyone on cruise critic who provided so much valuable information on excursions and what to do on each island. With each excursion, I kept saying to my husband that it was unbelievable how great they all were. I am sorry this is so long but there are so many wonderful things I don’t want to leave anything out.

We flew from Chicago to LAX to Papeete on Sunday Jan l4th. We flew on United out of Chicago. We flew Air France from LAX. I did our own air because I found a flight that left on Feb 5th at 9am for departure from Papeete to LAX. Most leave at 1000 pm.

We arrived at 4am in Papeete on Jan 15th and took a taxi to Le Mandarin Hotel downtown. The cost of the taxi was 2900 francs from the airport to the hotel with 4 pieces of luggage. This is a clean, functional, no frills place to stay if you just want a place to catch up on sleep. The lobby is small and nothing to do except use of your room. We ate breakfast at a local restaurant and had our first taste of possion cru, fresh pineapple and wonderful choc croissants that you can smell baking down town. We walked in the rain and heard beautiful singing in a local church that drew us into hear the angelic voices. I did not know what they were singing but it brought tears to my eyes. We walked in rain again to Le Marche at least it was warm and heard from the locals that it had rained for about 20 days straight. It had to end soon. We ate at Le Mandarin and had some great Chinese food for supper.

We took a taxi and arrived at the dock at 1120. They allowed you to board the ship as soon as the first bus arrived from hotels. Embarkation was easy. We were on the ship in about 10 min. The area is small at the entry outside with a small tent that is very hot and humid. Tip # 1 brings water with you when ever out doors. We checked in our room 6090 an aft balcony. We had Rodel as our cabin attendant. We asked him for robes and a deck lounge chair. Boy do they work hard to make your stay special, like magic both request were filled. If you are arriving early they give you a ticket for the early supper. We wanted to eat later and that was not a problem. They were not checking the ticket when you arrived. We went dancing that night in Tahitian lounge to the music of Elegant Touch. Tess the drummer was very friendly and would call you by your names. More people need to use this beautiful spacious lounge. That is a perfect place for pre dinner drink and dancing. The show that night was Polynesian dancers.

Wed 17th Moorea. I had coffee on balcony to watch sunrise. We took the tender in and got a taxi $10 for two to Les Tipaniers to snorkel on our own. It turned out to be a good drift snorkel with plenty of fish and coral. We went in the beachside restaurant that overlooked water and called for a taxi and enjoyed our first local beer a Hinono.We had second seating and met our waiter Fernando and assistant Juvy both from Philippines. We had wonderful tablemates, Barbara and Christopher from Sweden. They only speak English when they travel, what a fantastic job they do communicating in another language. Learning about other countries is half the fun of cruising. I could not wait to talk with them each evening. We had great service the whole trip. Juvy had the added duty of wine Stewart. Our tablemates did say they missed the expertise the wine Stewarts have.

Thur 18th Sea day, Formal dress. It was overcast and finally we saw the sun. The weather is improving. We had breakfast in main dining room and liked that they had daily specials unlike the set breakfast menu on Celebrity. We were seated at a table with a honeymoon couple whose suitcases had not made it to ship. Fate had set us with this couple. In talking we told them to come to our room to see if we could find something for them to wear so they could go to formal night. She borrowed a new dress I had and I must say I would never look that good. He borrowed a shirt and pants from my husband. Shoes would not fit as he wore size12and my husband wears a10. The funny part was as they were leaving our room we asked where they were sitting and they were at our table. They were the missing two at our table. Danielle and Chris. What a lovely energetic couple. Time to check out the pool, there is one on the ship and two hot tubs. The pool band is a one man operation Essence. If music was ok but he lacked in the vocal department as well as had no energy or enthusiasm when playing. Usually chairs are available in sun. It was so intense we only stayed out 45 min – hr in direct sun. Chair hogs were out for the ones in the shade. Tip # 2 nice padded chairs on both side decks # 5 in shade. Good place to go to read or take a nap. Went to gym to work out, pretty big for such a small ship. Had 5 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines, and 2 step machines 4 bikes, several machines for weight training and usual free weights and exercise balls. It is Located in front of the ship and nice view while working out. Everyone was very conscious of cleaning machines with alcohol wipes after use. In the front of ship is area you could rent chairs for $15 a day. We rarely saw people out there. It seemed way to hot with the direct sun for me. We went to cruise critic party Barry Trojanoski had put together in the bar by dining room 20 people showed up. It was fun to put a face to people we had talked to on line.

Friday 19th Sea day partly sunny. Nothing special just enjoyed the ship. My husband did find the ice cream that is on Buffet from 330-430 daily. He found the homemade ice to cream to be exceptional and enjoyed all the flavors. We liked the grilled chicken and homemade bun at the poolside grill.

Saturday 20th Nuka Hiva My 50th birthday. I felt so blessed to spend it in such untouched beautiful island. We had booked a private 4x4 excursion with Claude. Actually the tour guides name was Phillip just booked through Claude. Climbed in air-conditioned trucks and were off for our adventure. Went to a restored archaeological site it had two large terraces with five huge stone tikis the area showed that it was once densely populated. Large moss covered the rocks and there was an enormous banyan treeIt had a spiritual feel to the area. Took a hike, need water shoes or tennis shoes to go up a steep incline. We saw Petroglyphs carved on the stones. We saw a large cascading waterfall. Woodcarver’s shops were in Hanaiapa valley. We had Lunch at Yvonne’s I had seafood platter of kingfish, shrimp and tuna steaks for $20. Trip was 7 hours and Philip was a well informed guide. Tip take bug spray to ward off nono’s. It was island night on Deck 10 after supper.

Sunday 21st Hiva Oa

When you get off the tender board the free trucks or bus to town.

We went to local market place in town to watch Polynesia Dance. Allow enough time to get to early show. Bring hat or umbrella to protect from sun and water to drink. They have two shows when the ship is in port. I recommend the early show due to intense heat. After the show we took the road to left to a nice beach area to swim with a beautiful view.

Monday 22nd Sea day Formal night. Did laundry located on deck 7. $1 to wash and $1 to dry, takes quarters open 8am to 10pm.No change in laundry room can get from purser deck 4.

Tuesday 23rd Rangorea Took first tender over to meet Pascal for private excursion. He was waiting with a sign on shore, boarded boat we were give wet suits and life jackets for snorkel in Tiputa Pass. It depends on tide as to what time he does tours. He was great in communication with us on ship by sending email to ship of change of time to start. The pass was amazing the water was so clear we could see 90-100 feet. Saw lots of red snapper, mating season for them, a black tip shark, barracudas, and sea turtles. We held hands with 6 people for the drift. Pascal would stop and point out things of interest on way. He then took us to second drift snorkel and then to loonaguariam. I had not seen any post about Pascal and must say we were very pleased with tour. When we finished we walked along road from tender spot until we came to sign Bounty pass and took that path back to beach and walked back to tender.It made for a nice leisurely walk along the water. and then back to tender.

Wed 24th Riateea arrived at noon. The only spa service I had was a special of 20-20-20 which you could pick of 3 choices for 89$. I had a 40 min hot stone massage and 20 min ankle treatment and massage with Hazel. I felt like Jell-O when I was done. We had a drift snorkel with Princess in the coral gardens. You need to be good snorkeler to do. Wear water shoes to walk on coral to area as you get in. They bring your shoes back to the boat. Be aware of black sea urchins. A couple of people were stung here. You need your fins here too. The current was strong and the coral close to top of water. You need to be able to maneuver around the coral. We did the pass twice. Spectacular color, many fish and would do this excursion again in a heartbeat! Back at boat they had fresh pineapple, papaya and coconut and little bananas.

MUST see the show Children of Riateea when you get back at 515 in boat. Tip they also sell wonderful head pieces of flowers for $5 on ship before show. You need cash for this. At night after dinner there is another dance with Polynesian dancers on deck before the champagne waterfall at llpm.

Friday 25th Bora Bora did Helmet aqua dive in morning a Princess excursion. It was excellent and you were under for 30 min. Well done excursion. The guide that took you down to bottom helped to clear pressure from ears and made sure you were ok before he left you. Amazing you can wear your glasses and your hair does not even get wet. It is very easy to breath in helmet. My husband has a large head and they had an extra large helmet that fit. Everyone in our boat loved this excursion. In the afternoon we had the beginner dive with Princess scheduled. We found ourselves a little nervous about this excursion. If you plan on doing this relax, it is worth it. My husband who is just and average swimmer ended up loving this and hopes to take classes in the future to get certified. This excursion again was run very well with adequate instructions. The diver took one down and when I was ok went back up for my husband. Helped him to get ear he was having trouble with pressure cleared and then stayed with us for about 30 min. We were only down about 20 feet.

Friday 26th turn around day for BTB. This is first cruise we have been on where they allow passengers to stay on until their evening flights. They do a great job accommodating both passengers, for us BTB they gave us a packet with instructions and waver card when we got off. We needed to change rooms from aft balcony to side balcony. They came to our door at 1000 had cart to move suitcases and we were able to keep clothes hung up. They told us to go to our new room and then moved our things for us. When we got back on ship they took new picture and gave us our new card. Very painless. Old passengers are allowed to eat in dining room for lunch, new passengers eat at buffet. New passengers eat in dining room open seating for supper and old eat in the buffet.

Sat 27th, we had booked a tour with Patrick for 4x4 in Papeete. We met group of cruise critic friends and a French couple for our tour at the end of the dock at 0830. He stopped at a local store for French bread and fixings for a sandwich, water and pastries. Very reasonable under 5$ for the two of us. We had one 48oz water and really needed two for the 7 hour trip. He took us into the interior valley; we saw many waterfalls due to all the recent rain. He stopped and showed us flora and explained the history of the island. We saw ancient Maraes and archeological ruins. Highlight was swimming in the cool water of the waterfall. Patrick jumped in first and everyone from our tour joined him for a refreshing swim. Some that were adventurous jumped from cliff. Including 72 year old Janette from Texas! You needed water shoes or other shoes to climb the area to falls. We returned back in time for sail away and boat drill. Since we were on BTB we did not have to attend the drill. Our new tablemates Dorothy from Canada and Ursula and Peter from Switzerland.

Sun 28th, Huahine, We took tender to shore for private tour with Marc. Met boat at o900 some took 4x4first we took the snorkel. The first snorkel was only waist deep with lots of coral and fish. The second was a drift snorkel very easy and relaxing. We stopped at a pearl farm. We went to a beach for lunch. They showed us how to make possion cru, had rice with corn, salad, coconut bread, tapioca bread, barbeque chicken, grilled maui maui, and another grilled fish, local beer, rum punch and juices to drink. EXECELLENT. We ate at tables with umbrellas in water. They played island music and sang while we ate. Later did a parelo demonstration on how to tie. This trip was everything I had read about and my favorite of the trip. After supper watched late move under the stars on deck 10. The remake of South Pacific. It doesn’t get any better than this! Warm balmy night, under the stars, watching a movie with someone you love.

Monday 29th Seaday. Went to Captain Carlo Servillo from Italy cocktail party before supper. We had fabulous crab legs for supper. Enjoyed the show Century Sings and the dancers that night.

Tuesday Jan 30th. Raotonga. We were so glad to make port, this is often missed if seas too rough to tender. We walked short way into town and exchanged some money for New Zealand dollars. We found the local bus stop that takes you around island. Very easy to use makes stop every half hour either clockwise or anticlockwise. Prices had just gone up but we got a 2 stop ticket for $6 dollars each. We took our snorkel gear and got off at fruits of Rarotonga for a good snorkel. I swam way out to reef to see more fish and my husband stayed closer to shore. It took me a long time to swim about ½ hour to get there and back. I would take an excursion out to reef next time. We had a delicious fruit smoothie at the stand across from beach and caught bus to continue around the island. She also held on to our bag for no charge while we both snorkeled.

Wed 31st At sea blessed with sunny day. This was the day they have you go to Tahitian lounge to have French Polynesia Immigration inspection of passports. Painless, tip goes at the end of time they assign you and there is no line.

Thru Raiatea, Had private tour with Bruno. Met at the shell station at 0830. Went to a pearl farm and had option to buy pearls if you wanted. The lady was not pushy and would show you what price range you were interested in. Her husbands a jeweler and had several beautiful settings. We stopped at a Vanilla farm. Had fresh pineapple, coconut, star fruit and a fruit that was like an apple with spicy powder to dip in. Went to pension to snorkel and Bruno showed us blow fish, large conch, turtle, and a shark in the pens by the pension. We at on shore with beautiful set table and was served family style, possion cru, grilled fish, coconut, baked bananas, fish donuts, grilled fish, fresh pineapple, wine, coffee and a wonderful Tahitian punch that you can buy in the stores that comes in a carton. We then went to same drift snorkel we had done on previous cruise with Princess in the coral garden. What a difference it makes with the current. It was very calm and easy to make it through corral this time. We took our time and did one pass.

Friday 2nd Bora Bora . Make sure you either watch coming into the pass of Raiatea of leaving very beautiful scenic cruising. I had room service on deck watching us leave.

We arrived at Bora Bora at noon. Met Damien for our private 4 hour tour. There turned out to be only 3 of us. He took us all around the island pointed out stingrays, snorkeled, and went to a private motu to swim and relax. Had fresh papaya and grapefruit he had picked for us that morning. What a gentle soul. We really enjoyed the excursion. You can feel his love of the island in his explanations.

Sat 3rd. Bora Bora We took a taxi for $5 each to Muri beach to veg out and relax. Took taxi to see famous Bloody Mary’s and then back to ship.

Sunday 4th Moorea. Took taxi to Sheraton hotel. Taxi drivers said the hotel did not want passengers to come here we went anyways. We snorkeled around the overwater bungalows. It was very good snorkeling here. We ended up seeing about 15 people from the ship here. We borrowed a couple towels by the pool and used the pool without anyone saying anything. We did not pull out our blue and white striped towels though. There was a fresh water shower in the corner by the pool we used to wash salt water off. When we were done we went inside to call for a taxi and they said where to? The ship? They seamed to know we were from the ship all along and not care. Back on ship it was the Super Bowl. They had a party for it in the lounge with finger foods and buy your own drinks. Yea Colts.

Monday 5th. We had a 9am flight so they had us keep our luggage in room. They arranged a taxi for us at dock at 7am. We ate at buffet and were on dock at 7am. We waited in line at airport until 845 to get checked in at Air France. From what I have heard this is not uncommon at Papeete airport. Someone came through and saw that there were still 40 of us in line and all of a sudden the process speeded up. We were off at scheduled time. This was our favorite cruise of all. But then in all honesty I have enjoyed them all. It was a real reality check to land in Chicago to below zero wind chills and all that snow!!!!

Cindy

Cindy - your reviews have really increased my excitement about our upcoming trip in Aug.. We have booked Marc's and Bruno's also and it is great to hear a recent visitor had a great time on these tours.

Thanks for all your expertise and for sharing with us. We need to relax but don't want to miss any of the 'must sees'.:o

Cindy - your reviews have really increased my excitement about our upcoming trip in Aug.. We have booked Marc's and Bruno's also and it is great to hear a recent visitor had a great time on these tours.

Thanks for all your expertise and for sharing with us. We need to relax but don't want to miss any of the 'must sees'.:o

Cindy,

What a great review, really makes us anxious to get there this March. We are booked on the same tours, Patrick, Marc, Brono, so it was great to hear they are so good. I, too, found them via these boards. The movie under the stars sound great, had no idea the TP had that also. I was wondering what you thought about your Air France flight? We we just notified that our ATN flight home had been canceled and we are now scheduled to fly out at 8:05 a.m. on Air France to LAX. I was a little disappointed because I was counting on that day to spend doing last minute shopping figuring we wouldn't leave on ATN until 10:00 p.m. But my husband will be saving money...ha ha.

Pennie

We were happy with Air France. They gave you an eye mask to wear, ear phones and a sanitary cleansing pad in a little kit. The flight was not full either way so for a tip when it is nearing the end for boarding check out the middle isle empty seats and move. I was able to lay down both ways and catch some zzzz's. They had individual screens built in the seat ahead of you for music, games and movies to help pass the time. They offered complimentary wine, and alcohol to drink. They also had a self serve area for drinks available. It is sad to be leaving paradise in the morning but the people waiting for flights all day especially in the evening looked awful tired. Don't get me wrong it is a great option to let you stay on the ship that day and Princess does a wonder job!

Are you doing a 1/2 or all day with Patrick? Maybe you will have some time to shop that day. The movie under the stars was fun but it is not the same screen that is on the brand new ships but it still works the same.

Cindy

Barbara,

I have one picture I can send you if you send me your e mail. It does not show all of the balcony but maybe you can get and idea. One nice thing about the walls in the aft they are solid metal so you have privacy. They were different on the side balcony when we moved and no privacy there.

Cindy

Cindy,

Thanks for the info on Air France. Leaving early to come home does have it advantages, we will be home before we would of left, and we will have a good nights rest. We are doing the full day tour with Patrick the day after we arrive in Paradise, which is actually the day before we board the ship. We are going early and figured doing his tour then we wouldn't have to worry about being back on time and could relax after the tour. Which did you do?

Pennie

Cindy,

Great review. Life has been busy since getting back, and I haven't taken the time to write one. We agree with you that this was our best cruise yet--even better than the last time on the TP--which is really saying something. We really enjoyed meeting you and Jim, and all of the other CC people. I love the size of the ship, and how easy it is to meet people, and continue to run into them.

The only thing that I think could have improved this cruise for us was if Laurie and Jim had been able to make it this year- (Laurie we really missed you guys!) We have already started talking about when we can return to FP, but because of other commitments, it looks like it will be 2010 or 2011 before we can get back. Perhaps we can all return together and have a "reunion" cruise.

Pennie, We did the whole day with Patrick. I hope the roads are repaired. Due to all the rain we had to back track a couple times but still had a great trip. If you are coming in a day early you still will have time to shop once you board. You can go on the ship and eat and get off to shop. I really kinda liked it that there was not that much shopping on the islands. That way you did not waste your time shopping. Probably the best shopping is in Papeete what there is, at least.

Dave& Diane, Good to hear from you. I need you to email me your address so I can send the old fashion way, by real mail, some pictures of you and Dave. I do not have them in books yet and was just laughing today about the good time we had at Marc's tour. How many pictures of waterfalls did you end up with? Ha Ha. It sure was a shock back to reality here with all the snow and cold temperatures. As I write the woodburner is stoked and keeping us warm but not near as warm as the wonderful sun of Tahiti.

Cindygad@aol.com

Cindy,

What day of the week did you come back? We just got our seat assignments from our TA and I'm not thrilled...hope that we can get them changed when we check-in. You mentioned that the flight wasn't full, so I'm hoping it's the same when we fly home. How was it going through customs and how long did it take you? I don't want our transportation driving around forever waiting for us to come

out.

FunLuv'n,

We left on a Monday Feb 5th. Customs was a breeze in La. There were only about 20 US citizens on our flight. I guess it is why the call it Air France. Mostly Europeans on the flight. Their custom line was long. Ours a few seconds. At least for our flight.

Cindy

you may be able to call the airline directly and have your seat assignments changed. when we went last ( we didn't do air through P however) we were first in line at the ticket counter and we were able to get bulkhead seats. Lots of room!

NY City Girl,

If you email me your email address I will send you a picture.It is not a great picture of the balcony because I was focusing on DH but it will give you an idea. My email is on post #13. You will love the aft. The pamoramic view and and watching the wake is so soothing. I was afraid maybe we would feel the motion because it is a smaller ship than we have been on before.We were blessed with calm seas and did not notice much movement. The walls of balcony are solid so you have your privacy. We had to move rooms the second cruise and you could see your neighbors on those balconies .The aft was about 3 times larger than our other balcony. Ask for a lounge chair from your room stewart.

Enjoy and Happy Honeymoon!

Cindy,

Thanks, for some reason the thought that there may not be too many US cititzens hadn't crossed my mind, plus I didn't realize there were separate lines for US and non-US cititzen, makes sense though...Duhhhh! Guess my brain is already in "Vacation" mode. I just know we will be last off the plane, and getting into LAX at 7:20 p.m. it will be midnight before we get home. I just needed to give the shuttle people some sort of time frame so they aren't driving around and around waiting for us. Did your plane leave pretty much on time? I'm figuring that a 9:00 - 9:30 p.m. pick up time would be good. I know there is no real way to gage the amount of time it takes to get off the plane, get your luggage and get through customs. I'm just hoping for a smooth transition. I'm not going to be in the best of moods anyway, having to leave "Paradise" and come back to reality.:mad:

Pennie

I suggest you give the shuttle your cell phone number and get their phone number where you can reach someone when you're due to arrive at LAX. That way, you can call them as soon as the plane lands to give them an update. Or set it up to call them when you get your luggage. I'm sure they're used to picking up passengers and will have a good system.

At a minimum I'd have a phone number that I can reach the shuttle at that time of night in case they're not there when they should be. You never know what may happen.

Candydane,

Thanks for the suggestion. That is what we are going to do, since LAX is about a 50 minute drive from our house that should work out really well. The shuttle people have told us they are use to doing this, so I'm sure they have it down to a science by now. I would rather wait on them, then have them driving around waiting on us.

Archived