Independence to be deployed to UK in 2008

This is fantastic news - I am impatient to know when bookings start. We were pleased when Navigator came to Southampton for 2007 but couldn't get a family cabin in the summer vacation when we tried to book in Oct/Nov. I don't want to miss out this time!

When do bookings usually start for summer vacation cruises?

Jon :D

There are family cabins available now for the Navigator for this summer if you are still thinking of doing that...infact I got a couple of emails from TAs about it today.

I dont know when the bookings will open for Independence.

I am hoping that when Richard Fain does his announcements on the 26th then he might say something with regard to when the booking for this ship will be available.

I will be looking forward to it's Transatlantic crossing for the winter of 2008 to the Caribbean as long as it's home port for the winter isn't San Juan, be great if it is Port Canaveral or Tampa, both just less than an hour away, just keep our fingers crossed and look out for the annoucements on the 26th.:D :cool:

Will be on the Navigator Transatlantic crossing this April ready for it's summer in Southampton.

John.

Vision class ships just barely make it under the bridge outside the port of Tampa. No way a Freedom class ship would make it under there...

LL

now called Freedom class - Freedom, Liberty & Independence. Genesis Class debuts in Autumn 2009.

I didn't know there was an Independence of the Seas. Freedom and Liberty are the two mega ships with Genesis being the one come next....

Help me here I don't recall an Independence.

I noticed that some of the information about this mentioned other ships that will be in Europe in 2008 and didn't see the Jewel mentioned. Would be interested to know what they may be doing with her in that time frame. Any thoughts?

Let the speculation about a Radiance-class in Southern California commence!:D

Wow, this really is exciting news because I will be doing a European cruise in 2008! So far, I've been considering Princess because I prefer their itineraries, but I may have to reconsider if I can go on the new Independence Of The Seas! I can't wait for the announcement on the 26th. I really hope they are able to offer interesting cruises in the 12-14 days range, and not just 7 nights.

when we were on the mariner, capt johnny told us that the freedom class was too large to fit into most ports in the UK, so it was highly unlikely that they would be deployed over there....maybe they proved him wrong...who knows.

i also was hoping for the independance to be in port canaveral...i was looking at the possibility of being married on their inagural cruise.

hope the genesis stays in the US for awhile....

GREG

Jon :D

There are family cabins available now for the Navigator for this summer if you are still thinking of doing that...infact I got a couple of emails from TAs about it today.

I dont know when the bookings will open for Independence.

I am hoping that when Richard Fain does his announcements on the 26th then he might say something with regard to when the booking for this ship will be available.

I tried calling a couple of UK TAs today but no joy with family cabins (2 children under 4). Perhaps because the English schools' vacation is from 25 July til the end of August? Looking forward to when Independence goes on sail for '08.

Thanks for letting me know though, Elizanessie.

Miami-based Richard Fain, chairman of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., and Royal Caribbean International president Adam Goldstein, both currently in the UK, will join Susan Hooper, svp EMEA for RCI/Celebrity, and other senior UK management this evening in London to make 'a significant announcement regarding a major increase in RCI's European deployment'.

Source :Seatrade

It is now 7pm here in UK ...hopefully we will hear something soon :D

Thanks, Liz. We've heard the same thing about today's impending announcement. When you get the details, we'd appreciate hearing from you. After all we depend on you as our "foreign correspondent" on the RCI boards for all the latest from the UK.:)

Just read RCI's press release confirming that Independence will spend the summer of 2008 doing a series of sailings from Southampton, UK and at the conclusion of the season will cross the Atlantic and spend the winter season sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale!

According to the RCI press release: "Following a series of preview sailings in Oslo, Norway, Hamburg, Germany, and Southampton, UK, Independence" will do alternating 14 night Mediterranean Treasures (Gibraltar, Barcelona, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Sardinia, Lisbon, Malaga and Vigo) and Italian Mediterranean Treasures (Gilbraltar, Cannes/Montecarlo, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Sardinia, Seville and Vigo, Spain, and Lisbon, Portugal. It will also do two 4 night cruises from Southampton to Cork, Ireland and St Peter Port in the Channel Islands and three 11 night Canary Islands.

Bookings for the European itineraries open for sale on March 14th!!!

When the ship repositions to Ft. Lauderdale it will do alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings.

I see Bill already posted some of what i going to(I was busy outside catching some rays:) )....

Heres the whole announcement:

MIAMI, Feb. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Royal Caribbean International today announced plans to deploy Independence of the Seas - the third in its new Freedom class of ships - in the United Kingdom, when she debuts in May 2008. Sharing the title of the largest, most innovative cruise ship in the world with sister ships, Freedom of the Seas and the soon-to-be-launched Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas will be the largest ship ever to be home-ported in Europe.

"This significant step is part of the company's strategy of international business development and expansion into emerging and high-growth cruise markets," said Richard Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., at a press conference in London today. "We have already seen tremendous growth of the cruise industry in Europe. This year, 21 percent of the capacity of our three brands combined - Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Pullmantur - will be in this market. Bringing this new generation of megaships to the United Kingdom will further develop our global operations and reinforce cruising as an enticing vacation option for travelers to the region."

Currently under construction in Aker Yards in Turku, Finland, Independence of the Seas will be delivered to Royal Caribbean in May 2008 and will feature the line's signature innovations including the FlowRider® surf simulator, the H2O Zone water park, an ice-skating rink, a rock-climbing wall and a boxing ring. The 3,634-guest cruise ship will sail the 2008 summer season from Southampton, United Kingdom.

"Our decision to base the newest and most exciting ship in Southampton will offer our guests an easy, convenient and affordable way to see several legendary European landmarks and exotic destinations without having to repeatedly unpack their suitcases," said Adam Goldstein, president, Royal Caribbean International. "The amenities available onboard Independence of the Seas will give a fresh face to cruising in the market providing guests with a variety of options to create their own unique adventure."

Following a series of preview sailings in Oslo, Norway; Hamburg, Germany; and Southampton, U.K., Independence will embark on her maiden voyage in mid- May 2008, alternating 14-night 'Mediterranean Treasures' and 'Italian Mediterranean' itineraries. Ports of call for the 'Mediterranean Treasures' itinerary include Gibraltar, UK; Barcelona, Spain; Nice, France; Florence/Pisa, Italy; Sardinia, Italy; Lisbon, Portugal; and Malaga and Vigo, Spain. Guests on the 'Italian Mediterranean' cruises will experience the destinations of Gibraltar; Cannes/Monte Carlo, France; Florence/Pisa, Rome and Sardinia in Italy; Seville and Vigo, Spain; and Lisbon, Portugal.

Guests can also enjoy two four-night getaways from Southhampton to Cork, Ireland and St. Peter Port in the Channel Islands. Three 11-night Canary Islands itineraries, also roundtrip from Southampton, will round out the fall season, calling in Madeira, Portugal; Tenerife, Canary Islands; Las Palmas, Gran Canaria; Lanzarote, Canary Islands; and Vigo, Spain. Independence then heads to the Americas for a series of warm weather Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings, roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Bookings for the European itineraries will be open for sale on March 14.

Independence of the Seas will join a long list of Royal Caribbean ships in Europe. In the summer of 2007, six ships - the highest number ever for the cruise line - will sail European itineraries stopping in 63 ports of call in Europe alone. Navigator of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas will sail from Southampton and Harwich, England, respectively. In Spain, Voyager of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas will be Barcelona-based. Legend of the Seas will homeport in Rome and Splendour of the Seas will sail from Venice, Italy.

There's nothing in the press release that surprised me as far as the itineraries go. The Independence is simply doing the Navigator itineraries from this year, which I expected as we knew it would be calling in Gibraltar once every 14 days. I was hoping to find out more about the plan for the rest of fleet in Europe - specifically what is in store for Navigator and Voyager? I'm hoping one of them does the 12-day Greek Isles cruise that the Brilliance has been doing for several years. I wonder if all Europe bookings will be available March 14th or just Independence. It would be nice to know the whole schedule before deciding which cruise to book.

Thank you Bill and Parrothead8 :D Great news and well done on getting the info :D

Wow March 13th eh...darn it I was hoping I could book it while on a cruise to get OBC...och well.:D

The new "Next Cruise" program should be in effect now, so you should still be able to get your OBC:D

If the IOS will be doing alternating E & W Caribbean out of FLL, what do you think will happen with the FOS & LOS since RCCL wouldn't have 3 ships sailing the same itineraries. FOS or LOS out of San Juan for Southern???

Not that difficult to imagine that two ships will sail on Saturday or Sunday, the other ship on the other weekend day. Of the two ships sailing on the same day, one would do Eastern and the other, Western, alternating each week. The third ship will also alternate Eastern and Western. It is also possible to vary the ports visited by the ships whether on the Eastern or Western itineraries. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay could be alternative ports on the Western and St. Thomas, San Juan, St. Maarten are all possible ports of call on an Eastern itinerary. As it is, when Freedom and Liberty begin sailing their eastern and western itineraries will be somewhat different.:)

I got some more information from travelmole.com. Apparently, we'll learn about the other Europe deployments within the next few weeks. Also, this article has starting UK prices - which you should approximately double for prices in US dollars.

Royal Caribbean International expects to carry 9O,OOO passengers on sailings from Southampton by Independence of the Seas next summer.

The line confirmed TravelMole's exclusive disclosure a week ago that the newest version of the world's largest cruise ship is to offer ex-UK voyages in 2OO8.

The 3,6OO-passenger megaship will run a series of four, 1O and 14-night cruises between May and October next year with the first departure on May 17.

Prices start at £349 per person for a four-night Cork and Guernsey short cruise running in May and August, with bookings open from March 14.

Ten-night Canary Island itineraries costing from £1,O99 will run in May and October.

Two alternating 14-night Mediterranean itineraries will also be offered with prices starting at £1,299 for the Mediterranean Treasures itinerary running in May, June, July and September. The other is a two-week Italian Mediterranean voyage available on one date a month in June, July, August and September 2008.

Royal Caribbean International president Adam Goldstein declined to be drawn on the rest of the company's ship deployment plans for Europe next year, saying only that details would emerge within weeks.

The line will have a record six ships in Europe this summer, including Navigator of the Seas from Southampton. Twenty one per cent of the total capacity of the company's three brands - Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Spanish-based Pullmantur - will operate in Europe, a level expected to rise for 2OO8

Chairman and chief executive Richard Fain said passengers were prepared to pay more to sail on the company's biggest vessels due to the array of different features on board.

He claimed that Independence sister ship Freedom of the Seas was achieving industry-leading customer satisfaction levels during its first year operating Caribbean itineraries from Miami.

If the IOS will be doing alternating E & W Caribbean out of FLL, what do you think will happen with the FOS & LOS since RCCL wouldn't have 3 ships sailing the same itineraries. FOS or LOS out of San Juan for Southern???

Maxie-How do you know (or think) that the IOS will be in FLL and not Miami? That's much better since I live closer to FLL and although leaving Miami is pretty cool,driving and parking there is not.......

Big Al

Archived