What would be best port to snorkle in?

nikkin

I haven't been yet, but I've been soing some research as we are going to most of the same ports as you on the Noordam. I hear Brewer's Bay or Cane Garden Bay in Tortola are quite good, ans also Sapphire Beach in St Thomas.

Just returned from the Galaxy (I'm homesick for HAL--but that's another story)

and we took Speedies ferry over to the Baths to Virgin Gorda from Tortola. Really spectacular setting and interesting snorkelling. As the day wore on the beach at the Baths started to get crowded with shore tours so we climbed through the Baths (which is one of the reasons to go) and came out on Devils Bay Beach, nearly deserted for most of the day and alot of good snorkeling.

We were in port from8-5. We caught the 9am ferry over and 3:30 ferry back. Price for ferry and taxi tto the Baths was $30pp, the Baths is a national park with admission of $3pp. DO NOT MISS THE BATHS!!!!!

In St Thomas we have always taken the ferry to St John and gone to Trunk Bay, next time we want to try Cinnamin Bay. The day we were in St Martin it was very windy and we didn't snorkel.

Go to the ports boards and the snorkel board (I fund the ports boards better) for more ideas. We have our own stuff and it is so much easier when you don't have to rent your gear, everything fits!!!!

IMO Coki Beach is the best place to go in St Thomas, it's a lovely little bay, great for snorkling or you can just stand in the water and feed the fish, the water is crystal clear.........we go there every time we visit St Thomas......the Noordam will be taking us there next week :D

Mountainmare,

I'll be in Tortola from 12:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. and am trying to decide if I should take the ferry to The Baths or go on a 1/2 day trip with Patouche to The Baths. Patouche leaves at 2:30 to head over. What would you suggest? Do it on my own or go with Patouche? Thanks.

Just returned from the Galaxy (I'm homesick for HAL--but that's another story)

and we took Speedies ferry over to the Baths to Virgin Gorda from Tortola. Really spectacular setting and interesting snorkelling. As the day wore on the beach at the Baths started to get crowded with shore tours so we climbed through the Baths (which is one of the reasons to go) and came out on Devils Bay Beach, nearly deserted for most of the day and alot of good snorkeling.

We were in port from8-5. We caught the 9am ferry over and 3:30 ferry back. Price for ferry and taxi tto the Baths was $30pp, the Baths is a national park with admission of $3pp. DO NOT MISS THE BATHS!!!!!

In St Thomas we have always taken the ferry to St John and gone to Trunk Bay, next time we want to try Cinnamin Bay. The day we were in St Martin it was very windy and we didn't snorkel.

Go to the ports boards and the snorkel board (I fund the ports boards better) for more ideas. We have our own stuff and it is so much easier when you don't have to rent your gear, everything fits!!!!

Hi

The tour guide books say that snorkeling is best in Grand Turk and Tortola. We did both and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is also more to see in St. Martin and St Thomas so it was better for us to snorkel in Grand Turk and Tortola. In Tortola we took a cab ($7 per person) and went to Smugglers Cove. There were not very many people there, it was a nice beach and lots of reefs. We had schools of fish swimming around us. We also went to Coki Beach on St Thomas for a short time. It is great there because the fish just swim around you right off the shore. We didn't find coral reefs there, you could just stand in the water and the fish would come around. Personally we enjoyed the reefs more and trying to find the fish hiding in the reefs at Grand Turk and Tortola. We also took sandwich meat with us and fed the fish, so they would come to us. I heard someone else used cheerios. Enjoy your trip.:)

Normally I would say go for the ferry, but your timing makes it hard. Therefore I would probably go for Patouche based on the rave reviews on the ports board. While we were at the baths a wave of snorkelers came swimming in from a boat and the swimm seemed easy. You will still have a chance to climb through the Baths which is the real don't miss part of the adventure.

As I'm looking forward to next year I just realized that the Maasdam is only in St Thomas from8-4, making the ferry to St John a rushed situation, either from Red Hook or C-A, so we will have to go to plan B and think about Coki or Sapphire. I will miss the beautiful reefs, maybe they'll change the times!!!

Hi

The tour guide books say that snorkeling is best in Grand Turk and Tortola. We did both and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is also more to see in St. Martin and St Thomas so it was better for us to snorkel in Grand Turk and Tortola. In Tortola we took a cab ($7 per person) and went to Smugglers Cove. There were not very many people there, it was a nice beach and lots of reefs. We had schools of fish swimming around us. We also went to Coki Beach on St Thomas for a short time. It is great there because the fish just swim around you right off the shore. We didn't find coral reefs there, you could just stand in the water and the fish would come around. Personally we enjoyed the reefs more and trying to find the fish hiding in the reefs at Grand Turk and Tortola. We also took sandwich meat with us and fed the fish, so they would come to us. I heard someone else used cheerios. Enjoy your trip.:)

WE MISS YOU AND ALL THE FUN ON THE NOORDAM!! :rolleyes: Not that exciting being back to snow and ice, eh? (This is how Michael talks now, by the way. Everything is followed by 'eh'...;) ) Send us your land address so I can send along copies of our photos. And I hope Dean's feeling better...does he still have sexy lips?:eek:

Take care...'Cira

I know a couple of people mentioned St John - just to let you know when I went there the snorkelling was not good at all. I think it was mainly as it was windy and the visability was cloudy, I probably just caught it on a bad day.

I am not a fan of Montego Bay (as I know several folks here are not either)

But the day we spent snorkleing there was gorgeous. The day was picture perfect, Water was crystal clear, plenty of beautiful colorful fish. It was just very enjoyable

Hey, Hairplug and Caribbean Girl, we miss you all too. Hard to believe last week we were sunning and swimming in 80 degree weather. :)

How about it? I almost feel like I imagined the whole thing. Being home with all the (dirty, by now) snow is totally underwhelming. I'd do almost anything to be sitting at the piano bar right now listening to Cory sing away. Ahhhh...how lucky were we?:rolleyes:

All on one thread...mamaofami, hairplug, and Caribbean Girl!

Terri, how is Dean's lip and teeth? I hope that he's all healed! I know what you mean about the snow, Cira! And we had such rain, that froze, that it blew out our back door light and is causing our back door not to close. A great "welcome back" on that one! :eek:

Tortola was the best for snorkeling just to snorkel, St. Thomas had an excellent catamaran sail/snorkel trip that featured lots of marine animals (and plenty of alcohol), but the best by far was Bonaire - never in my life have I seen anything so beautiful!

Archived