What do you do for Cash on the Islands? Do you have to change money each port?

K1226M

I have never been on a cruise and never been to the caribbean in general. We will be going on NOS western route at the end of March. If you want to pay for things in port in Cash do you have change currencies at each port? Or do they all accept American Dollars? Just wondering since I would think it would be a pain to keep exchanging and the changing back again.

Thanks

All the ports will accept US money, make sure you have small bills though because many times they will tell you they don't have change and will give you the change back in the local currency. I take 50 in 1's and 100 in 5's for the cruise and bring around 50$ in small bills going into port and use credit cards for anything larger.

At all non-US stops in Caribbean for the NOS, the locals readily take the $US. Just make sure you know what the correct excharge rate is from US to the local currency so you know if yoy are getting a reasonable value for your dollars. In fact prices in St. Maarten (Dutch Side) are usually in both currencies. On the French side many places have prices in $US and during our recent stop there on Serenade found some places actually gave you a even excharge from their Euro prices to $US which was a very good deal.

All the ports will accept US money, make sure you have small bills though because many times they will tell you they don't have change and will give you the change back in the local currency. I take 50 in 1's and 100 in 5's for the cruise and bring around 50$ in small bills going into port and use credit cards for anything larger.

This is exactly what we do, it works out great.

U.S. money rocks the world!!!!

Don't know about that! I went on a recent trip to Salzburg in Austria an they wouldn't have any part of the US $. The same thing in England. Lets just say that the US$ rocks the West :)

Don't know about that! I went on a recent trip to Salzburg in Austria an they wouldn't have any part of the US $. The same thing in England. Lets just say that the US$ rocks the West :)

Don't want to be a curmudgeon, but Austria and United Kingdom ARE the west...but why would they want our USD when they have the more valuable EUR and GBP?

I haven't had any problems using US$ in the Caribbean. We bring enough cash or get more from the cash machines on the ship. Note, I am from Canada and sometimes need to exchange Canadian to US during the trip. I get a MUCH better conversion rate at Guest Services on the ship than I do at a branch of my own bank in St. Thomas.

I always try to make purchases with my credit card, then I get the best exchange rate. I do always bring small bills for tips or small purchases.

Just be sure to call your credit card company before you travel or they can freeze your account (thinking there is fraud because of unusual activity)

Archived