Any stories of lost luggage??

mousetravel

One cruise - four lost bags!

But luckily it was on the way home. We were flying from Barcelona to Washington, DC - got to DC, and none of our bags made it with us. This was just a week or so after the London scare last summer, so we had to check everything... including our keys! So, we arrived in DC without any keys - now that was an adventure.

We got three of the pieces back about 48 hours later. The fourth piece traveled to Japan and back, and did not arrive in DC until about 10 days later. I'm actually still shocked it made it - the airline did not seem too optimistic. And, of course, this was the piece that was carrying all of our wine and olive oil... I'm still in awe that everything arrived in one piece...!

Once the luggage is dropped off with the porters at the pier, it is very hard and rare for it to get lost. It goes straight onto carts that are wheeled to the ship. Any lost luggage will be from the airlines, so your plan to carry everything on will not help you.:)

We had a lost bag post-cruise in Miami. It was just nowhere to be found! We searched the warehouse for what seemed like forever! We ended up filing a report and they said they'd ship it to us at Carnival's expense (darn right--how hard can this be?!?).

About three or four weeks later the bag arrived C.O.D. I paid for it because I wanted my bag but wasn't happy about it! When we booked the next cruise, I mentioned the lost bag and how Carnival messed up our car rental (when it rains it pours) and our TA got on the phone right then and we ended up with a more than $600 discount on the cruise we were booking. :)

Jayne

:)

When we were on the Century last Sept. about 30 plus people had their luggage missing. !!

Many of them attended the CC meeting, and Celebrity, the cc members and the crew all mucked in lending them a few clothes. They did not have thier own unril the 5 or 6 day, and had to attend formal night in Celebrity T shirts etc.

We did not have our luggage until the 2nd day on our Constellation trip . No explanation was given , luggage just appeared in hall.

I can honestly say we have been fortunate as we have never lost any luggage. I had a co-workers who went on a cruise some time ago and the airline lost her luggage pre-cruise. She was without her own clothing the entire trip. Thank goodness she had all of her travel documents in her purse. Her bags arrived two days AFTER she returned from her cruise. The bags weren't even delivered, she had to go to the airport to pick them up! Can you imagine?

Although we pack enough things for our 7 day cruise in the large suitcase, I always pack a few essential outfits and must-haves in a carry on - including Pepsi.:D

on our victory cruise last may we had a bag delivered to our room that wasn't ours. I think our steward even brought it inside our cabin. It belonged WAY down the hall. We walked it down there and I'm sure most people would.. but i wonder how often THAT happens.

We've been very fortuante to have never had a bag go astray, but we also fly in early as I worry more about the airplines losing luggage than the ship. The only time I get the heebie-jeebies is when we have to plac eour luggage outside the hotel room for transfer. I will confess to sitting and watching for our suitcase to be loaded onto the bus. After that, I figure that they are in Princess's capable hands. So far, so good!

Charlie

When we were on our Elation cruise Jan 06, we watched an entire luggage bin get pushed off into the water. Some bags floated and others did not. I was so worried because our scuba gear bag did not show up until 9pm, safe and dry.

Dave

I had my duffle bag never arrive on my first (and only so far) cruise. It had all my shoes, my medicine and most of my toiletries in it. Nice. So I was stuck wearing 2 pairs of sandals the entire trip, and I had to buy contact solution for like $8. It was frustrating. We never found it the entire trip, nor after we got off. It just disappeared.

2 days after we got home they called up sand said "You left your bag here. We'll ship it to you if you pay us." Yeah, right. My husband set then straight and they sent it directly to our house, shipping was on them.

For my next cruise I'm carrying on everything. I don't want to go through that again. (but I did have a great time!)

I can understand luggage getting lost on an airline...but I find it hard to believe that my luggage could ever get lost getting from my vehicle to my cabin on a ship. But on our last cruise, someone still hadn't received their luggage after three days. They were making announcements for everyone to please check their bags and be sure it didn't belong to someone else.

On my last cruise they were looking for a missing piece of luggage. I wondered if this had happened to them.

Also, one of our bags wasn't delivered at the usual time, so we went down & found it in a "holding" area. Seems the tag with the information about our room came off & they were JUST ABOUT to look up my info off of the personalized travel tag i had for the flights. I was glad it was there & didn't have to stress about it anymore!

I always pack one outfit suitable for a formal evening and informal evening, undies and swimwear for both dh and I in each of our hand luggage. We go on board in "casual" wear and I pack both the suitcases with a mix of his and hers clothing.

Why? ......... stand and watch luggage being loaded onto a ship, you may even see luggage go for a swim as did jetskier did:) . It's pretty scary to watch sometimes.:eek:

Oh yes and that's assuming luggage actually makes it from your initial departure airport to the port!!!

I can't tell you how many times we have had a flight cancelled on us, or delayed and our luggage gone awol sonetimes a few hours, once for a few days. Thankfully, it has always turned up but when I pack, I always assume that one check-in might disappear so I never worry and we are prepared for the worst .

Sailing from San Diego a few years ago, there were two ships side by side on the pier. The next day after we sailed I happened to walk through the lobby and there were several suitcases there that had tags for the other ship. So, those people went all week without their luggage.:cool:

Have you ever waited at the luggage carousel for your luggage... which does not come?

On our very first cruise, we waited and waited - no luggage. Everyone else on the same cruise was giving us 'looks' as they had been kept waiting.

Reluctantly we went to report my case as missing. Whilst we were completing the form, a man came over and asked me to describe my case. He then told me that there was a case (and yes, thank goodness, it was mine) which had fallen off the carousel's belt at the point that it twisted round to change direction. The case was on the floor, near the 'doors' and could not be seen from the carousel's waiting area. This just may help someone in the future, but I can still remember that awful skining feeling when everyone else had their luggage... except me!

Archived