Is a cruise better than an all-inclusive resort and why?

jtdl

I am trying to plan a vacation over Christmas and/or New Years this year but I keep bouncing between an AI in the Dominican Republic or a Caribbean cruise departing from Florida (we are about a 24 hour drive and wouldn't have to fork out the money for flights unless we could get a really good deal). There will be 4 of us, 2 adults, a 16 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. My main concern with an AI is the food quality and I know that isn't a concern with a cruise. But alcohol would be a big expense for us on a cruise. Besides having the opportunity to visit several different islands on a cruise, what other benefits does a cruise offer as compared to an AI resort? Thanks for helping me decide:confused: !

The answer is yes & no. These two types of vacation are entirely different and offer things exclusive to themselves. Depending on cabin category you book and alcohol consumption, the AI is hands down less expensive. Cruises over the holiday period are much more expensive as well. Should you fly, (out of Pearson I'm assuming) these flights to the cruise departure port will also be expensive. ON to FL is a long way to drive over the holiday period with no weather guarantees.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a nice 5* in the Dominican Republic or the Riviera Maya, south of Cancun. I have stayed at wonderful AI's in these areas and throughout the Caribbean as well. They are beautiful, the accomodations and service are excellent, the food is good to excellent and the liqour is top shelf premium brands, all included. Your non motorized watersports are included, 24 hour room service, some excursions and on & on.

I cruised in 2005 & 2006, first cruises since 1993. I had many AI's in between and I have no preference for one over the other...just depends on what we feel like doing. For us personally, cruising is far and away the more expensive of the two but again, it depends on cabin type and other things.

Hi,

We are going on our third cruise leaving this Saturday:D

We actually toyed with the idea of doing an all - inclusive instead of the cruise.

We ended up taking the cruise. Once you are on a cruise line and book with them again, your cabin arrangements are upgraded for the same cost as the lower category.

If you don't care where you are on the ship, the room can be very cheap hence, more money for your bar tab.

Also, I like the fact that we do travel to different locations and get to experience different things.

A cruise is what you make it. You can do as much as you want or as little as you want.

My personal opinion for an island is I don't want to just sit around for most of a week...I guess the same could be said about that...it will be what you make of it.

I like being treated like royality, with great food, lots to do and lots of laughs.

Again, just my opinion.

Good luck in your decision.

From London

I like being able to "sample" different places but only unpacking once. I guess if I found a place I wanted to explore in depth, I would look into an AI. I discovered that I definitely don't want to do and AI in Jamaica, though I know many people enjoy them (but they usually don't venture out),

I like being able to "sample" different places but only unpacking once. I guess if I found a place I wanted to explore in depth, I would look into an AI. I discovered that I definitely don't want to do and AI in Jamaica, though I know many people enjoy them (but they usually don't venture out),

I've done AI's in Jamaica 7x and have been all over the island. The only areas I've come across where you really DO NOT want to venture are parts of Kingston and MoBay. Wonderful country, wonderful people. The areas and atmosphere immediately around the ports is not the real deal. JMHO :)

I got a quote this morning directly from an agent with Carnival for a 7 -day cruise leaving Port Canaveral on Dec 29 for $3300 US total-taxes and everything included. I think that is much cheaper than what I'm going to get for an AI but then the weather, as BobBeaSea mentioned, and driving to Florida is not guaranteed to be favorable. I'm told this "deal" will expire today, I don't like to be put in that position, so now I'm really confused!!! I'm sure holiday cruises sell out rather quickly, but do the prices usually drop closer to sailing or do they increase like the Disney Line?

I'm sure holiday cruises sell out rather quickly, but do the prices usually drop closer to sailing or do they increase like the Disney Line?

Yes and no. They used to, but last year I saw some pretty good deals, but when booking for a family (if you are wanting a cabin w/4 berth), it's not as easy to wait for the last minute deals.

You will get as many opinions on this as posters. We all see things differently. Costwise, if you are heavy alcohol drinkers maybe AI is a better way to do, but unless this is the case I don't know why so many think AI are better bets. As a TA, I know the going rate for the really top or slightly above average AI. Yes, everything is included but the price reflexs this: I had a couple a few months ago choose an AI in DR, without air it costs them about $200 per day per person. That's a lot of booze and tips. Add to this, there isn't as much entertainment and the kids programs (especially for teens) can be very hit or miss. I truthfully think, with kids the age of yours you would have a better time on a cruise and see more for less money. Again, this isn't knocking AIs. They can be a great vacation for families, but the offer you have gotten for a cruise is much better. Again, this is my opinion only. Of course if you are talking 1 cabin versus 1 resort room, you will have a litte more space at an AI.

NMNita

Neither are better.............just different. We have done both AI and cruises and now prefer cruises........without totally knowing what you enjoy and your lifestyle, it is hard to lead you in any particular direction........

We enjoyed both but now prefer cruising as a vacation.

I got a quote this morning directly from an agent with Carnival for a 7 -day cruise leaving Port Canaveral on Dec 29 for $3300 US total-taxes and everything included. I think that is much cheaper than what I'm going to get for an AI but then the weather, as BobBeaSea mentioned, and driving to Florida is not guaranteed to be favorable. I'm told this "deal" will expire today, I don't like to be put in that position, so now I'm really confused!!! I'm sure holiday cruises sell out rather quickly, but do the prices usually drop closer to sailing or do they increase like the Disney Line?

This is why I had to use "For us" in my post explaining why AI's are far less money for us. We only book JS's (junior suites) on RCI. At holiday time these go for around $2700.00 or so per person Cdn. funds. Next, we have to fly to Miami, at holiday time we're probably looking at $800.00-$900.00 per person. Next we have to factor in the Seapass bill. This will easily be $1,000.00 to $1,200.00 for 2, everything in. So I am know up to $7,000.00 total. For $2,700.00 per person we can stay at the top AI's in the Dominican Republic, everything in less incidental tips etc. All in, we are looking at a little less than $6,000.00 for the AI and $7,000.00 for the cruise. Naturally the cruise would be less if we downgraded our cabin but I am not prepared to do that, yet :)

Our JS cabin is about 280 sq. ft. and our room at the AI is 550 sq. ft.

JTDL, what cabin category did you get for $3,300.00 US (about $3900.00 Cdn.)?

Nita, I don't know why but we get tremendous deals on AI's up here. I am astonished when running into Americans at AI's and finding out what they paid (don't worry I wasn't asking them, it just comes up :))

JTDL, what cabin category did you get for $3,300.00 US (about $3900.00 Cdn.)?

That was the quote for an inside, lowest category but he said there would be a free upgrade to a better inside room.

What do you think about him saying this offer was good for today only, actually he said if I were to call back in an hour the price might increase. He actually asked that I give him my CC for the deposit and then talk to my husband about it and if we decided not to go for it, he would refund the deposit. That just really makes me leary, even though this was a Carnival rep.

That was the quote for an inside, lowest category but he said there would be a free upgrade to a better inside room.

What do you think about him saying this offer was good for today only, actually he said if I were to call back in an hour the price might increase. He actually asked that I give him my CC for the deposit and then talk to my husband about it and if we decided not to go for it, he would refund the deposit. That just really makes me leary, even though this was a Carnival rep.

I too would be a little leary. Unless it is some kind of unbeleivable promo he should be able to put a hold on it for you. The upgrade part may be for real, the rest I do question. Yes, the price can go up before he even has time to enter the information but to say he has to have your CC now makes me wonder. Have you tried calling a TA in your area just to compare? NMnita

JTDL, I am not familiar with Carnival so I can't help you there. I do not like being pressured however and neither should you. This inside cabin, how big is it? If it's the lowest category you will be tight for space if all 4 of you are in it. Maybe check Carnival's website for answers. I gotta think it can't be anymore than 160-170 sq.ft. or so if it's their lowest category, you need help from a Carnival veteran with this one. Check it out but don't make any rash decisions. Don't think "hotel room" when it comes to cabins on ships. They are quite small.

Done both. I think if your main reason for going is sun, fun, pool and beach, an AI ends usually ends up being less expensive. When you add up your "on board account" , it can frequently can be considerably more than the base cruise fare when you add in bar, shore excursions, gratuities, photso, etc etc. A lot of things that are included at an AI , you have to add on those costs to the base cruise price.

Thanks for all your opinions. I think I will forego today's offer being as I am very leary about the "today only" thing and also about him wanting my credit card deposit right at that very minute. I will continue to research my options of an AI or a cruise.

Hello,

While I am sure that the AIs are wonderful vacations, I particularly enjoy the aesthetics of cruising - the sun, the sky, the stars, the sea, moonbeams, the wind and so on. And a six year old will have a wonderful time on a cruise, especially on formal nights when he or she is all dressed up and going to their first grown up party.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

No preference here...........like the difference each offers from the other.

Last vacation (December) was at an AI in Punta Cana. Next (June 07) is a cruise to Alaska.

By the way, the food we experienced at the resort in Punta Cana was every bit as good as cruise ship fare. We are not gourmet eaters, and can find something we like on every menu; however, the food was not bad, not bad at all!!

this is scarey to me-- what exactly is "everything" included??

Alcohol for sure wont be included--- nor is soda-- so when comparing the prices add in about 6-8 bucks per drink that you will be drinking each day.. plus 2 bucks for each soda..

AI will include the alcohol and soda. BUt becareful when booking an AI- Some only include beer and soda and not the "good frozen drinks or shelf liqour.

It appears to me that quite a few people feel that all-inclusive aare just for those that want to drink beer and liquor all day..not so!! you get all of your beverages included, DW nor myself are heavy drinkers, a few frozen drinks here a few there a glass of wine with dinner, in fact we had rooms where there wass a liqour dispenser in your room with 3 tpyes of liquor from rum, gin brandy and vodka and if you run out or dont like the options they will be more than happy to replace.... As far as seeing different sights...think about it, those that visit the same Jamaican, Bahamas, Mexico designationes have to fit the exursion into the cruises time frame, at the resort you can take your time and stay as long as you want.. Food thats hit or miss dont let the title All-Inclusive fool you not all are buffet style free for alls again my resort had 4 specialty rest. and just as many buffets, dont like one head to another.. Chosening a resort that has sister location on the same location helpe too, wnat to visit to see what the other location has to offer so be it, its free to visit and usage of the facilities now I am not knocking cruises but can you go to the Bahamas, Mo Bay or Cozumel on a Sovereign Class ship and walk across the pier and do eat dinner or lunch on Voyager class??? :(

As many have said you get what you make of it but dont discredit one for the other it alls boil down to what you are lookiing for for your money, I am taking two cruises this year and still my annual Resort Visit is in the works, you just may find out that you like them both, what ever you decide be sure to make the decision for yourself and have a GREAT time never mind what we have to say :p

Hi,

We are going on our third cruise leaving this Saturday:D

We actually toyed with the idea of doing an all - inclusive instead of the cruise.

We ended up taking the cruise. Once you are on a cruise line and book with them again, your cabin arrangements are upgraded for the same cost as the lower category.

If you don't care where you are on the ship, the room can be very cheap hence, more money for your bar tab.

Also, I like the fact that we do travel to different locations and get to experience different things.

A cruise is what you make it. You can do as much as you want or as little as you want.

My personal opinion for an island is I don't want to just sit around for most of a week...I guess the same could be said about that...it will be what you make of it.

I like being treated like royality, with great food, lots to do and lots of laughs.

Again, just my opinion.

Good luck in your decision.

From London

Are you by any chance sailing on the Liberty this Saturday. We are and are from Brighton, ON. We have a large group going, over 200 people. Let me know. Mary

It appears to me that quite a few people feel that all-inclusive aare just for those that want to drink beer and liquor all day..not so!! you get all of your beverages included, DW nor myself are heavy drinkers, a few frozen drinks here a few there a glass of wine with dinner, in fact we had rooms where there wass a liqour dispenser in your room with 3 tpyes of liquor from rum, gin brandy and vodka and if you run out or dont like the options they will be more than happy to replace.... As far as seeing different sights...think about it, those that visit the same Jamaican, Bahamas, Mexico designationes have to fit the exursion into the cruises time frame, at the resort you can take your time and stay as long as you want.. Food thats hit or miss dont let the title All-Inclusive fool you not all are buffet style free for alls again my resort had 4 specialty rest. and just as many buffets, dont like one head to another.. Chosening a resort that has sister location on the same location helpe too, wnat to visit to see what the other location has to offer so be it, its free to visit and usage of the facilities now I am not knocking cruises but can you go to the Bahamas, Mo Bay or Cozumel on a Sovereign Class ship and walk across the pier and do eat dinner or lunch on Voyager class??? :(

As many have said you get what you make of it but dont discredit one for the other it alls boil down to what you are lookiing for for your money, I am taking two cruises this year and still my annual Resort Visit is in the works, you just may find out that you like them both, what ever you decide be sure to make the decision for yourself and have a GREAT time never mind what we have to say :p

No one meant that AI are for drinkers only, most of us, who have done both and look for the nicer AI offering the top line of alcohol, really good restaurants, plus other activities included simply are comparing cruises to AI for price. As a TA, I can guarantee you a really good AI in a desirable location is more expensive than a cruise for those who do not drink. Yes, both activities offer a wonderful experience, the same as Las Vegas offers a great vacation. Each person has to decide what is best for his/her family. I am certain a good AI over the Christmas or NYears season would be much higher than the $3300 the OP got quoted for a cruise. NMNita

No one meant that AI are for drinkers only, most of us, who have done both and look for the nicer AI offering the top line of alcohol, really good restaurants, plus other activities included simply are comparing cruises to AI for price. As a TA, I can guarantee you a really good AI in a desirable location is more expensive than a cruise for those who do not drink. Yes, both activities offer a wonderful experience, the same as Las Vegas offers a great vacation. Each person has to decide what is best for his/her family. I am certain a good AI over the Christmas or NYears season would be much higher than the $3300 the OP got quoted for a cruise. NMNita

I see what you are saying but if you(not you personally ;) ) are gonna compare destination for destination then an AI will be cheaper and the rate the OP was quoted is not garunteed unless the got it today!! we all nkow that this time next week if they did not jump on that rate they "could" be looking at $200+ per person increase, and we still have not mentioned the extra $$$ to spend if the OP flies in the day before where as that same AI will be the same rate next month as it is today

Jtdl, as a fellow Canadian I will give you another option for your consideration. We cruised this past Christmas/New years and we sailed out of New York. Travel is shorter and generally less expensive then travelling to Florida. We took the train for under $ 100 US return p/person. The cruise was fantastic and we have booked another for this year. We have not done an AI so nothing to compare to. Friends cruised out of Florida and though the cruise itself was great they said the worst part was getting back into the car and having that long drive home. They said it was a terrible way to end a great vacation.

Whatever you decide a vacation is what you make of it, so I am sure either will be great.

Mike

I see what you are saying but if you(not you personally ;) ) are gonna compare destination for destination then an AI will be cheaper and the rate the OP was quoted is not garunteed unless the got it today!! we all nkow that this time next week if they did not jump on that rate they "could" be looking at $200+ per person increase, and we still have not mentioned the extra $$$ to spend if the OP flies in the day before where as that same AI will be the same rate next month as it is today
Right and I wish he would come back and tell us what he did. I know he didn't hold it, I don't blame him, I don't like that "book this minute" or else. Booking to hold is one thing, having to put the CC down immediately is a bit suspecious to me. NMnita

NewmexicoNita I agree also...I get weekly e-mails sometimes twice a week offering me some sort of "book within 5 days and get this great deal" like who reall has the time and the disposable income to book a cruise and maybe a flight within 5 days based off an e-mail agent??? if you know of any ask them are they looking to adopt?? I am partial potty trained and can not eat with my hands :p But seriously not to knock the online travle agents I personally will not use one, btw NIta being an ta, have you book any of your clients to the Palace Resorts in Mexico?? I got maried at the Aventura Spa Resort and loved it, alread made plans to go back..I wont feel bad if you or any of your clients have not :p

Archived