Just Back February 17 Noordam

babba

I just returned home from a glorious eleven-night trip aboard the Noordam. Here are some bits a pieces from this incredible journey. To begin … my husband and I are in our early 50’s and were amongst the younger set on this trip.

Embarkation was a breeze. I must admit that I had a bit of negativity when first arriving. We were handed a number and was told to sit in the waiting queue. There were quite a number of wheel chairs, walkers and such. There was also a fair share of baby strollers so apparently this was an intergenerational trip. The embarking process ran quite smoothly. However, I felt I was in a geriatric home when the HAL representative spoke very slowly informing everyone to put away their credit cards and they will most certainly get lost and to rip out the ticket (carefully) from the booklet sent us. “Now put everything away so you don’t lose anything” was repeated several times over and over and over and over and over again.

Within minutes we went to the next room for security and check-in. It really didn’t seem to matter if you pre-registered or not. Everyone was led to the same line. It went quickly.

The first thing we did was go to the purser’s desk to sign up for the culinary class. We then headed to the Lido for a quick bite. I particularly do not like buffets and lines but we made the best of it opting for cold selections of foods. I would rather not eat hot buffet food, as it is never hot once seated. Speaking of seated, it took some time to find a table so I left my hubby “reserving’ a table while I scouted out the food and brought back enough for both of us.

The ship is beautiful and the staff friendly and helpful.

Dinnertime arrived quite quickly. I had requested a table for two / early seating. I was told when booking that I was waitlisted for the early seating. To my surprise I got the early seating … but a table for four. I was not thrilled to be sharing a table but this is the norm for most cruise lines. We were paired up with two women in their seventies. These women were one of the highlights on this trip. They were a delightful pair who became wonderful friends. We looked forward to dining with them every eveing. One evening they decided to eat on their verandah rather than the dining room. We actually missed their company.

The first two days of travel was a bit bumpy with barf bags at the elevators. I am very prone to motion sickness so I opted for the patch and it was a blessing. It got me through those days when I heard that many were sick. I accidentally lost the patch on day 3 … a smooth sailing day and got sick. Go figure!!! Anyway I would use the patch again and the only side effect that I experiences was a very dry mouth. I just drank a lot of water to keep hydrated.

The shows were just OK in my opinion. Maybe it is because of my New York City background, frequenting Broadway. My husband and I were “regulars” at the piano bar. Kory is a “must-see.” He is a talented, witty, versatile young man with an amazing knowledge of all types of music. 9:30 every night was sing-along time. We had a blast and met many great people during this time. You must see Kory.

I am going to stop for now, do laundry and continue this tomorrow.

babba...did you really think it was bumpy the first two days! I thought it felt wonderful!! I am beginning to be thankful for the gale force winds we experienced a few years ago on the Maasdam...I think it's cured me of any motion sickness possible EVER!!:p That first night on the Noordam was my best sleep in a LONG time and you can ask around. I had some REALLY good naps on that ship!!:rolleyes: I hope you enjoyed the trip. We had a BLAST!!:D

babba...did you really think it was bumpy the first two days! I thought it felt wonderful!! I am beginning to be thankful for the gale force winds we experienced a few years ago on the Maasdam...I think it's cured me of any motion sickness possible EVER!!:p That first night on the Noordam was my best sleep in a LONG time and you can ask around. I had some REALLY good naps on that ship!!:rolleyes: I hope you enjoyed the trip. We had a BLAST!!:D

I'm with you, Cira! I loved being rocked to sleep like a baby, too! I think the first and last days, the seas were 12 ft., but it felt fine to me! ;) We, too, had a blast! It's somewhat depressing to look down at my cruise ticker and see 21 days since...

I thought NOORDAM rode the seas well. The first day there were some short swells and pounding. But the motion of the ocean is subjective.

Innlady, I logged off your CC account in explorations. Thought it was a funny coincidence when I logged on and saw you had replied to my thread. Thought you were aboard at first.

I thought NOORDAM rode the seas well. The first day there were some short swells and pounding. But the motion of the ocean is subjective.

Innlady, I logged off your CC account in explorations. Thought it was a funny coincidence when I logged on and saw you had replied to my thread. Thought you were aboard at first.

Oh my, Mariner! I was having so much trouble with the emails, that I must have forgotten! Thanks for doing it for me! I only wish I was on board....no one would stow me away and I was forced to disembark! ;)

I guess "rough seas" are a matter of opinion and tolerance. I am VERY prone to motion sickness and I did get sick on day # 3. I spoke to a number of people who did not tolerate the seas well and had to visit the doctor for a "shot." I once got (embarrassingly) ill on Universal's "Cat In The Hat" ride. I also felt ill several hours after leaving San Juan. I made the best of it and had a GREAT time.

Going out of N.Y. will always be a bit rough especially in winter. Happy that you had a good time, even though you felt a bit sick.

innlady1....I know what you mean about your ticker....last Dec, when we got home from our cruise, couldn't wait to get rid of mine....just too depressing to see the word SINCE......

Going out of N.Y. will always be a bit rough especially in winter. Happy that you had a good time, even though you felt a bit sick.

innlady1....I know what you mean about your ticker....last Dec, when we got home from our cruise, couldn't wait to get rid of mine....just too depressing to see the word SINCE......

For now, I'm leaving it up....to remind me that time is passing and we haven't booked another cruise! LOL! ;)

Your cruise in November is one that I have earmarked. We were supposed to sail with good friends on the Noordam 2/7, and our friend had surgery and many relapses so had to cancel. We promised him that we'd do a late fall/early winter cruise with them!

You will love the Noordam....she's a magnificent ship.

Hi Babba. We are going on this route next year, same week. With it being "President's Week" did you notice many children on board? Also- were there any live bands poolside?

There was a count of approximately 300 children ... pretty much divided into three distinct groups. I never saw too many children which means that they were pretty much occupied in the children's areas.I was on a NCL trip ... same time last year ... and 900 children were on board.

There was a live pool-side band but I am not sure if they performed in the cold weather leaving and arriving in NYC.

I'm with you, Cira! I loved being rocked to sleep like a baby, too! I think the first and last days, the seas were 12 ft., but it felt fine to me! ;) We, too, had a blast! It's somewhat depressing to look down at my cruise ticker and see 21 days since...

Don't you miss those heavenly beds!! I was thinking about how comfortable they were just today. Ahhhh...the rocking and comfy bed is just what I need right now. There is a whole new group of lucky people out there on the Noordam right now. :rolleyes:

Can someone tell me how you can tell how many children and their age group are going to be on a particular cruise??

I'm not too concerned about small children but I have an 18 yr old and a 25 yr old going on the Noordam with us 3/21 and I am hoping there are some others in their age groups!

I am curious how you find out how many children are on board as well. We are scheduled for an August Alaskan cruise on the Noordam. We have three girls (4,9,and 12) and there are 7 other cousins traveling with their parents as well. They have all cruised before and are really well behaved but I'd like to know what the Kids club entails.

...I'm not too concerned about small children but I have an 18 yr old and a 25 yr old going on the Noordam with us 3/21 and I am hoping there are some others in their age groups!

I am curious how you find out how many children are on board as well.

You can contact Ship Services (1-800-541-1576) before sailing to get the number of children in the various age groups.

That won't help you, Santana, though. Your "children" are too old to be in the count.

Can someone tell me how you can tell how many children and their age group are going to be on a particular cruise??

I'm not too concerned about small children but I have an 18 yr old and a 25 yr old going on the Noordam with us 3/21 and I am hoping there are some others in their age groups!

I am curious how you find out how many children are on board as well. We are scheduled for an August Alaskan cruise on the Noordam. We have three girls (4,9,and 12) and there are 7 other cousins traveling with their parents as well. They have all cruised before and are really well behaved but I'd like to know what the Kids club entails.

For Santana and Rewopjm:

To the best of my knowledge, you can call ship's services and ask about the Club HAL age groups only (ages 3-17). I don't know how you would obtain information regarding the older age groups. The phone number for ship's services is 1-800-541-1576. You can read more about Club HAL on the Noordam, and other HAL ships, on the Holland America website. Club HAL offers youngsters a chance to spend time with their peers, as well as an opportunity for both cultural enrichment and some "just plain fun" activities. It is NOT a full-time childcare facility; hours run approx 9 am-12 noon, 2-5 pm, and 8-10 pm, with some slight variations from ship to ship. There is additional baby-sitting provided from 10 pm to midnight, at a cost of $5 per hour per child. Port day supervision is provided if you sign your children up the night before the ship is in port.

One way to meet others who are on your cruise is to visit the "Roll Call" forum here on Cruise Critic. Santana, here is the roll call for your 3/21 Noordam cruise.

Bon Voyage, everyone!:)

ps I see Ruth has already answered your questions very nicely, but that's never stopped me from adding my own two cents before, so I'll just go ahead and post:D ;)

Karin

There was a count of approximately 300 children ... pretty much divided into three distinct groups. I never saw too many children which means that they were pretty much occupied in the children's areas.I was on a NCL trip ... same time last year ... and 900 children were on board.

There was a live pool-side band but I am not sure if they performed in the cold weather leaving and arriving in NYC.

Wow...I had no idea there were THAT many kids on board!! I saw some around but not that many at all.

The band imo was JUST so-so...nothing spectacular. I was hoping that the would play calypso one day out on the aft pool but they didn't. :rolleyes:

Hi caribbean girl

We, of course,:D, met people with kids on the 2/07 cruise. I heard there were only 12 kids on our cruise so that would be why you didn't see many ;)

This past week was a school holiday so that is why there were so many.

Archived