looking for a new cruise line

traveled

Hmmmm?? Sounds like there is "no free lunch" with the O airfare.

But seriously. When you look at Regent and it shows " airfare included"

they always give you the option of doing your own and the price for the cabin

is a lot lower. But they don't do a seperate tax on the airfare if you do take theirs.

Now, I'm confused. I cruised the Regent Paul Gauguin a couple of times. The fare was quoted as "free air fare" and "plus port taxes". And just as Regent said, there was no charge above the quoted price to me for air. And, of course, port taxes were added to my bill, just as Regent said they would be. But no taxes for the air. Do TA's see a different calculation, for commission purposes, perhaps?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

What I remember reading about the "Free air" in Oceania is that when you received your invoice there was an upcharge or $300-400 which represented airfare taxes. As far as I know, in the case of Regent, if you select a fare with air included that fare includes as well the airfare taxes. There were no "surprises".

I think I may have (or is it obvious) confused you. When you have a "What a Fare" deal you are charged a flat $1,000 per person for the air or you may take a $1,000 per person credit by declining the air. In that $1,000 are the air taxes, even though it shows as a flat rate.

If you were to book air which is not a "What a Fare" deal the taxes would be shown.

As many know, the $1,000 for air most of the time is not a great deal, so you are usually paying more than what the cost would be to book air independently.

So, if Oceania is giving you "free air" (not a flat rate) you may well be paying the actual taxes on the air...just as you would pay port charges and taxes on the cruise...even if it was a "free" cruise (as you might receive on Seabourn, for example).

Cruiseluv:

You are absolutely correct, according to my experience with Regent. It said "no extra charge to me for air" and there was no extra charge.

Oceania is, of course, free to offer whatever deals they want, and fix their terms. We've just got to read the fine print, and do our math compairing cruise lines based on what is being offered, and what is not.

Thanks

Richard

Ok. That works for me.

Richard.

I wish Regent would still do a free air package to Tahiti.

With the flight from home airport, overnight in LAX, free breakfast, transfers, I

thought was a fantastic deal.

Archived