looking for a new cruise line

traveled

Richard,

As I said, the comments are not mine, because I haven't cruises on Silversea as of yet. That said, what I have heard is that the service has become quite distant (i.e. do the job, but not with the style that used to be present). That might be what you saw as "formal". Also, the food quality I have heard has slipped.

Silversea has also said it is shifting focus away from the US market to a degree and is not looking to have more than 50% of its passengers coming from the US. (MSC and Costa are not very US oriented and a good number of US passengers have found the style not to their liking. MSC readily acknowledges this.) I wonder what that means???

Also, Silversea has gone with increase the prices for passengers that are cruising and leave suites empty...or offer them to travel agents at reduced rates. That also is a bit curious.

What I do know is that Silversea is actively marketing itself and publically reacknowledged about two weeks ago that it is looking to possible go public on the Norwegian stock exchange.

Good Morning,

I have to say that I was surprised to be taken to task for my comments on Oceania until I reread the OP..I thought she was looking for a cruise line that might be a step up for her..of course, I love Regent, sell it as well as Oceania and my favorite ship of all time is Navigator as I have said several times..there is a big difference (as you all know) in luxury and upper premium..so I wasnt comparing ..you cant compare apples to apples..I am sorry I misread the post..and everything you have all said is correct..

Regards,

Jan

Dear friends:

Greetings from my home in Barcelona. It's funny some of you mentioning a difference in the perception of service when it is geared towards us Europeans. I guess there are still some deep-rooted cultural differences when crossing the pond.

What you Americans seem to find distant and stand-offish, we Europeans tend to think is proper service. I'm only bringing this up because for some strange reason I don't perceive that coldness you folks seem to perceive on lines such as Silversea.

Then again, the American way of providing service ("Hello, my name is Justin, and I'll be your server today. If there is anything special you need, just ask," etc.) seems somewhat intrusive and quite weird to us Europeans, even though it seems normal to you Americans.

I don't think either form of service intends to be perceived as bad service -- they are just different depending upon who the audience is -- European or American.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunter and Uta,

Some Americans, such as myself, agree that service can become too familiar in restaurants and that a certain level of formality should exist. Still, I think it comes down to individual tastes and relationships between passengers and crew on cruise ships. On a cruise one has a longer time to establish a connection. Most good crew will take their cue from the passenger.

Btw, I will be in your beautiful city for three days in August prior to a Silversea cruise. I look forward to it.

This is a great line but I love Oceania just as much if not more!

Jan

This is why I feel all people who are travel agents or even "Consultants" should be identified by a different sort of signature. I should not have to look at each and every profile to see if there is any possibility of a conflict.....Just my opinion but it is MY honest opinion...And I do not mean to single out Jancruz for this reply. I read the next reply down and then replied.:mad:

As the Original Poster asked about Regent -- as matters are now -- and not about Oceania as matters might be in the future, I will only comment again that I have never "done my math" concerning a cruise wherein I could save a dime by taking Oceania or Celebrity or the like instead of Regent -- given what I want out of a cruise in terms of accomodations and ammenities. I would ad that when one is considering Regent, one should also look at Silversea, Seabourn, and Sea Dream for comparable itineraries, pricing, and timing. These four lines offer similar content. So comparing them is fair. They are all the "top" of the lines. But one cannot compare these four to other lines. What the other lines may make up in reduced fares, they take back in extra charges.
I am just an old codger born in Muskogee so maybe I got your drift right.."You gets what you pay for"....

This is why I feel all people who are travel agents or even "Consultants" should be identified by a different sort of signature. I should not have to look at each and every profile to see if there is any possibility of a conflict.....Just my opinion but it is MY honest opinion...And I do not mean to single out Jancruz for this reply. I read the next reply down and then replied.:mad:

That is why I always put my agency name with my signature

Jan

Having been lucky to sail on most lines (except Crystal and Silverseas)...I can make the following statement: Until I sailed on Radisson now Regent, I thought Sitmar was the best of the best....and would still sail them if they were around.

Regent......casual, relaxed, great food, exceptional sevice, great passengers, the best cabins around, all the extra little things......that make you feel special. The Navigator reminded me of the old Fairwind with the warmth of a home away from home.

I will sail the Crystal Serenity next year to see what it is like, although the regimented dining will be a throw back to yesteryear.

Oceania.....reminded me of a smaller copy of the Celebrity product line....and had to try hard to equal that line. I would not put them in the same league.

I just got off the Caribbean Princess......size does not work......too big, too many people...and ca-ching...pay for everything.

Regent......the best thing for a former Sitmar cruiser.

Save your pennies and do it right....Regent.

As someone who is such a fan of the old Sitmar, why haven't you tried Silversea, since their ships are similar to the Navigator and the owners (the Lefebvre family) happen to be the former owners of Sitmar before Sitmar was sold to, I don't really remember who, I think Princess.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

On the topic of Oceania's new ownership, Micky Arison, of Carnival, made some interesting comments the other day to Seatrade, which wrote;

"Last week, Oceania Cruises announced it would be acquired by Apollo Management in an $850m deal.

Arison remarked that if Apollo plans to grow Oceania through newbuilds, the upscale cruise operator is unlikely to see more capacity before 2010 unless it goes to the Far East or opens up new yards like Fincantieri’s Ancona which, he quipped, ‘should be building ferries.’ "

As I noted before, I don't see a big change in Oceania in the near future as far as capacity goes.

and please don't flame me for this, but why is it that the U.S. can build 747's, spaceships, nuclear weapons, etc., but they can't build a boat?

The same massive U.S. cruise lines that sponsor building port facilities on Caribbean islands could also try to do the U.S. economy a favor and implement a movement to bring shipbuilding back to the U.S. Just think of all of the direct and indirect jobs that move would create for you folks across the pond.

Since every shipyard in Europe is booked for the next six years or so, there is obviously a great demand. And while Asian, African and Latin American labor may be cheaper than U.S. labor, European labor is far more expensive and bureaucratic than U.S. labor will ever be -- and the U.S. dollar is so weak right now, which could only serve to benefit your homeland industry.

Just wondering ........

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

There are a few problems, the first of which is that there are very few facilities that can actually build new ships economically.

The cost to put the old facilities into working shape while addressing the old contamination issues, safety issues, union issues, environmental issues, cost of materials ($ vs. Euro), etc., etc., etc., doesn't really make a lot of economic sense.

When you add to that the risk of not turning a profit and the finances necessary to take on such a project and investors are few and far between.

There is the beginning of a strong superyacht building industry here, but the chances of true cruise shipbuilding is not great. I wish it was.

As far as trying Silverseas........no. My travel agent was kind enought to take me on a tour of one of the ships while it was berthed in Philadelphia.One of the Vice Presidents of Marketing was there and knew my TA so he took us around. I found the crew very cold, no smiles and there was a sense of stuffiness on board. The passengers that remained on board (not taking an excursion) looked either disturbed by our presence or were unhappy with their trip. I would have expected the crew to react to the VP of marketing, but were even slow in bringing him his lunch. All in all I did not get a favorable impression...enough for me to try them.

I am trying Crystal next year...their ships always shined when I saw them in various ports......Seabourn, did them once, and that was enough. I will stick with regent and fondly remember the Fairwind and Fairsky of Sitmar.

As to US building of ships...a very good question. The attempt was made in Philadelphia, which has a ship yard.....but the European firm that bought the facility wanted the city to cput up the money for upgrades. In addition, the transfer of technology takes time. It is strange since we can build aircraft carriers...but not cruise ships. I think it is a shame......but the skilled labor costs related to unions might, might have something to do with it.

Europe has much more expensive and bureaucratic labor costs than the U.S. does or will ever have -- coupled with the fact that the dollar has depreciated nearly 60% against the euro since the euro was implemented. These two issues would make it far more logical to build in the United States, but it never seems to happen.

A few years ago there was "Project America" -- those cruise ships to be built in the U.S. for cruising in Hawaii. The project was later taken over by NCL and the ships had to be finished in Europe.

Seems to me that the U.S. should try to stimulate the rebirth of its own manufacturing industry. If everything is to be made in China, the Far East and even Europe, then the U.S. obviously thinks it's a nation made up only of bankers, lawyers, stockbrokers, engineers, real estate agents and IT consultants, which is obviously not the case.

The U.S. Consumer Reports survey on automobiles was just released. Not one single model recommended on this survey was a U.S.-manufactured car -- they were all Japanese and European.

Years ago here in Europe we used to be awed by goods manufactured in the U.S.A. They were the object of desire. Now they are basically laughed it.

It would be a darn shame for the U.S. to lose its leadership role in industry and manufacturing as all of this globalization plays out -- but that is exactly what is happening.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Economies change. Made in China was a mark of junk. Made in Japan was good for cheap goods and then a few lower quality electronics. Information technology didn't even exist. Times and markets change.

I will be presenting and be on a panel at the Cruise Shipping Convention next week (the Superyachts portion). It should be very interesting to see what the industry perspectives are on this topic.

In a bit of a reversal of my previous positions, I just received an email ad from Oceania, and was pleasantly surprised by the relative low cost of their specials. I didn't go through and do my usual "math" to see if the upgrades and extras I would want on Oceania that are "standard on Regent, as I am not looking to book a cruise at the moment. But by surface observation, it appeared that my "math" might just come out in favor of Oceania this time, given the present pricing of Regent and the like.

I'm not saying that anybody should book Oceania on my statements -- I've never cruised that line. What I am saying is that "new" pricing that has come to my attention has re-opened the issue, so that Oceania sure deserves a look, and a bit of "adjusting computation" by anybody looking for an upscale cruise at the moment.

Thanks,

Richard.

In a bit of a reversal of my previous positions, I just received an email ad from Oceania, and was pleasantly surprised by the relative low cost of their specials. I didn't go through and do my usual "math" to see if the upgrades and extras I would want on Oceania that are "standard on Regent, as I am not looking to book a cruise at the moment. But by surface observation, it appeared that my "math" might just come out in favor of Oceania this time, given the present pricing of Regent and the like.

I'm not saying that anybody should book Oceania on my statements -- I've never cruised that line. What I am saying is that "new" pricing that has come to my attention has re-opened the issue, so that Oceania sure deserves a look, and a bit of "adjusting computation" by anybody looking for an upscale cruise at the moment.

Thanks,

Richard.

Do you think the lower prices has something to do with it being sold? There could be some good deals (but -- think I'll stick with Regent:-)

I think that's right, Jim. Of course, in this day and age of rising cruise prices and skimpier discounts and specials, there may be some who would chose to downgrade to one of O's lesser cabins and make do with it, get a 12 night or so cruise for $1700, not drink as much as I do :) , and enjoy themselves.

But wait!!!

I just got an email ad from Regent with some spring Caribbean cruises, like 8 nights for $2800pp, and reduced priced air, so the equation once again shifts a little.

Of course, I'm a stupid optimist, but to me it looks like the "specials of old" may be returning! (?)

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks,

Richard.

When, or if, anyone "does the math" read all the fine print. A brochure for Oceania from a travel agency I just saw stated that the two-for-one fares shown DID NOT include: "government fees and taxes ... $228-$665 per person and subject to change."

And regarding the advertised "free air" : "Air taxes are an additional $334-$384 per person and subject to change. Fuel surcharges and ticketing fee varies by gateway and are subject to change at any time prior to final payment. Optional ground transfers are available for purchase."

At first glance the Oceania deals looked very good. On closer look, not nearly as good - especially if you want a cabin that's close to the size of Regent cabins

Yes, Ted,

I remember reading about this a while ago in the Oceania boards. Their "free" air would cost around $300-400 PP in taxes! I don't know how that can be??!! I have never paid that much in taxes for a coach ticket to Europe!

Oh golly. My comparison spreadsheet just got a lot more complicated!

Also very interesting comments about SilverSea. Somewhere else (the SS board?) there was a thread about the distinction between European and American passengers. The claim was that the Europeans liked the cooler, less chummy service model. Being Canadian maybe I can be in the middle, but the level of warmth and attentiveness and professionalism of the staff on Regent is perfect for me.

Yes, Ted,

I remember reading about this a while ago in the Oceania boards. Their "free" air would cost around $300-400 PP in taxes! I don't know how that can be??!! I have never paid that much in taxes for a coach ticket to Europe!

Perhaps they are referring to port taxes?

That sounds like about the right neighborhood for air taxes. Here are a couple of examples in my email for family members traveling in February/March to and from the USA. One is Spirit Air and the other is American Airlines. Debbie

Roundtrip FT LAUDERDALE/HOLLYWOOD INTL (FLL) to NASSAU INTL (NAS)

ADULT Fare 240.00 USD,

7.50 USD, US Security Tax NR Pax Types

45.00 USD, BS Bahamas Departure Tax

90.60 USD, US FET

15.00 USD, US Animal Plant Health Inspection Service

13.50 USD, US Passenger Facility Charge

21.00 USD, US Immigration fee

--------------

Total Fare 432.60 USD

Roundtrip Raleigh/Durham to London Gatwick

FARE-USD 268.00

TAX 258.20

TICKET TOTAL 526.20

No, they were specifically referring to airfare taxes.

dfb,

That's interesting. I am looking at my coach tickets for later this year : Newark to Nice and Lisbon to Newark in Continental:

US "User Fees": $ 17.00

US Security Service fee: 2.50

France taxes: 21.55

Portugal taxes: 23.11

Total Taxes: $64.16

I have no idea why the taxes would be so different from what you are being charged but I am not going to argue with Continental!

Archived