Souvenirs "made in China"?

mousetravel

Has anyone ever gotten a souvenir from a place and ended up seeing the "made in China" or "made in ____" logo?? It hasn't happened to me, but I know someone who got a "souvenir" from Bahamas and got home & seen "made in China" on it. When I buy a souvenir from another country, I'd like it to be authentic. You just have to look it over before you buy it.

Once on a business trip to Beijing, I stopped off at a souvenir shope to get an ashtray for one of my buds back home. I didn't think to check the bottom before I boarded my plane for the return trip, and was I cheesed off when right there on the bottom it was embosed with "Made in Chi.."..er.....nevermind. :rolleyes:

While the lable may say made in China or "" ?"", the place your visiting is recieving the income from your purchase so you are supporting it regardless.

Souvenirs, if made in many of the places would demand a much higher price because they would be made by artisians and not mass produced.

Being said, I RARELY purchase souvenirs unless they are locally or natively made.

A prime example was my trip to Alaska. I collect hand painted ornaments from my ports. almost all of the shops had glss ormaments, most from China, the more expensive from Poland and Austria... I had one clerk tell me she could write Alaska 06 in marker if I wanted her to......

Finally in Ketchikan I found a place called Skanlons Gallery where they had locally painted ornaments that were 1000% nicer than the China ones, HALF the price or close to the same , and came with a certified Alaska stamp. Many of the artists have websites which I later ordered more as gifts.

I try to boycott products from China after I saw the website on Raccoon dogs. China has these dogs that resemble raccoons. MAny stores like pennys , nordstroms, and others buy products that have FUR and it is labled 'faux' or artificial raccoon. In Many cases its NOT synthetic, its racoon dog fur. If you do a search you will see how they abuse and skin these animals while ALIVE to get their fur and sell it. from chopping off hteir legs while alive to skinning them alive, laughing about it and tossing the maimed suffering animal in a pile to die.

While I do not support the antics of PETA, I do not promote the wearing of fur. However if you must wear it buy it from a farm that HUMAINLY kills the animals and does not make them suffer.

The saddest part of the site is after all of the abuse, getting slammed on the ground......having its feet chopped off with a machete, then skinned ALIVE, the poor dog lifts its bloody naked head and looks at the camera with its sad black eyes, takes a gasp for air, then lies its head down to die.

Please do NOT support China for this simple fact, and please do a search for raccon dogs. That 'faux' racoon you may have bought, actually may have been dog fur from a tortured animal.

Dave:eek:

Besides, what isn't made in China :D

My wife and I wear pins to advertise the Canadian Wiinter Games in 2010, they are made in China of course.

I DO have one thing not made in China. Did anyone know that Hungary makes LAWN MOWERS??? :rolleyes:

john

My Japanese car is made in Kentucky, my Chrysler is made in Mexico, my Dell laptop is assembled in China, Chun King Chow Mein is made by ConAgra in the USA. It's a global economy, caveat emptor, let the buyer beware!

Has anyone ever gotten a souvenir from a place and ended up seeing the "made in China" or "made in ____" logo?? It hasn't happened to me, but I know someone who got a "souvenir" from Bahamas and got home & seen "made in China" on it. When I buy a souvenir from another country, I'd like it to be authentic. You just have to look it over before you buy it.

A souvenir to me is a memento of my visit. I buy hats and t-shirts and know those usually are not made in the country I am visiting. I probably would not want a shirt "Made in Mexico" while in Mexico.

I understand if what you are buying, say Mexican pottery, then yes, I would expect it to be made in Mexico. ;)

....lets see....if you are in the Bahamas......you want something authentic (made in the Bahamas).......so you can buy........??????????.........what do they make in the Bahamas........;)

....lets see....if you are in the Bahamas......you want something authentic (made in the Bahamas).......so you can buy........??????????.........what do they make in the Bahamas........;)

Actually they make more than enough suitable as souvenir.

Parfums, even with Bahamian Sand

Jams, from Mango, Guave etc.

Bahamian Punch

Art

Jewelery

Spieces

Rumcake

Batic fabrics and fashion

Spices

See http://www.bahamassouvenirs.com/ , http://www.bahamas-auction.com , http://www.bahamasgo.com/ ....

So there is absolutely no need to buy China made souvenirs. There are always other options.

I definitely prefer to get local products and to support the local economy.

I know I found In England these great little keychains with birthdates on them and it gave celebrities who had the same birthdate. I thought it was so neat and bought them for my family. Two years later I saw them in Alaska! Now I have no idea where they were made but Alaska and england doe snot have much in common except thsoe keychains sold in souvenior shops.

I have bought sea shells from Florida that said they were packaged in Thialand! So I guess they weren't Florida seashells!

Archived