Pacific Dawn Cruise Cancelled

howsthis

Found out yesterday from our T/A that the cruise before ours has been cancelled. This means that the November 9 cruise will now become the first cruise as Pacific Dawn. They have moved the people on the cancelled cruise to December. Hope ours isn't next on the list of cancelled. Surely they will be up and running for the Anniversary Cruise.

There's nothing on the P&O website. In fact, it still says "233 sleeps to go". There is someone on these boards (sorry - can't remember who) going on that one. Maybe they can pop in & fill us in.

Karen

I just did the "find a cruise" thingy on P&O website for the Dawn, Nov & it does show our cruise as being the first one. Still says "233" sleeps to go though instead of "241"

Karen

Yes, the 1st Nov cruise is cancelled. I was booked on this cruise, and received a letter in the mail yesterday and a phone call from my TA to advise that the maiden voyage is now cancelled. We have automatically been moved to the 7th December cruise, which is a 10 night cruise. I'm a little dissapointed, as i really wanted to go on the maiden voyage. When i asked about changing to either one of the 14 night cruises before the 7th Dec, my TA was advised that those cruises too may be cancelled. But maybe that was just because they are booked out and they didn't want to put us on the longer cruises. I'd be checking with my TA if you are booked on these cruises, just to make sure.

Guys, just saw this post on the Austalia P&O roll call, sorry just had to have my say, no use blaming P&O, they have many troubles at the moment but this one is out of their hands. You cant help bad luck, and I know some people are angry re the cancelled cruises, but it wasn't P&O that ran it aground...........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9412068#post9412068

Chez (who needs to shut up now)

I think the poster just was a bit upset. I think they were looking forward to the cruise, which happens to be the first cruise under the Pacific Dawn name.

If it did happen to me I'd be furious too and try and 'blame' someone or something....:o Fingers crossed for the 9/11 cruise and subsequent cruises.

However, I think based on P&O's past history they do not leave enough time for refurb. The first few cruises for both the Sun and Star were cancelled also. We were meant to be on the 5th Star cruise and ended up being on the 2nd....

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Having seen delays with the introduction of both Pacific Sun & Pacific Star into service, we deliberately chose not to book on any of the early cruises on Pacific Dawn to avoid any disappointment.

Having said that, because the refit was being done once the ship waws in Australia we thought they might have had more luck keeping the schedule on time. I guess maybe they're going to have to do a bit more work on her now following the grounding.

We thought we would be safe booking the third cruise and let's face it, being on the Anniversary Cruise was too hard to resist. If it ends up being cancelled I hope we can change our holidays to suit. The problem for some of us is that our employer wants 12 months notice of holidays and won't let some of us change. Ah well, let's just hope everything goes ok for P & O. It's no point blaming anyone, I would rather sail in a fully safe and refitted ship anyway.

There would be some very upset people if they cancelled any more cruises.:(Always pays to have travel insurance, especially if you travel from Interstate.

Read your insurance very carefully, I think you will find that they will not cover you for cancellation of a scheduled service.

I'm not sure that the cancellation would necessarily be as a result of the grounding - they've fixed that now, and it's back on it's schedule. Regal Princess still arrives down under on the 2nd of October in Sydney at the end of her last cruise, and then disappears to get changed into Pacific Dawn (hopefully here in Brisbane at Cairncross where they did Sky - so we can watch the progress!:) ).

Maybe they just decided it was going to take longer than they thought, or they decided to change something else.

According to Sydney Ports website, Pacific Dawn arrives in Sydney on the 6th of November, berthing at White Bay 3 until the 7th, and then she moves to the Overseas Passenger terminal on the 8th of November, ready to sail on the 9th.

If they do the refit here in Brisbane then I promise we'll go and shout encouragement to the workers to make sure they do the job on time :D

If they do the refit here in Brisbane then I promise we'll go and shout encouragement to the workers to make sure they do the job on time :D

Ill be down there as much as i can. Although, i think she may be too big for our dry dock. She is 247m long and by my measurements, it going to be a tight fit.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

Perhaps the Cairncross dry dock in Newcastle will be where the refit takes place?

In Newcastle ???

That would be GREAT. I could go and check it out. :D :D :D

We appreciate the offer to shout encouragement to the workers because each time this thread bobs to the top, I think AAAARRRRGGH! Please, no, not our cruise.

I am very impressed with your picture and measurement of the dry dock, excellent work. :p

In Newcastle ???

That would be GREAT. I could go and check it out. :D :D :D

We appreciate the offer to shout encouragement to the workers because each time this thread bobs to the top, I think AAAARRRRGGH! Please, no, not our cruise.

I am very impressed with your picture and measurement of the dry dock, excellent work. :p

If it does come to Newcastle Brushtail, what an opportunity to get a sneak peek. I'll be in there for sure. We can admire from afar. And yes, I keep checking everyday in case someone has heard more about our cruise.

Ok, looks like i was wrong with the measurements. The drydock length in brisbane is actually 263m max. Meaning the Dawn will fit nicely.

http://cairncross.com.au/dockyard.html

And the one in newcastle is only 200m long.

http://www.forgacs.com.au/shiprepair.htm

Sorry guys, looks like us brisbanites will have to keep an eye on the repairs after all.

Well I was thinking (and hoping) that it'll be Cairncross in Brisbane because the facility is bigger than Newcastle. Apparently it'll take 85,000 tonnes - so hopefully it will be, though as Star-Man's clever calculations show it might be tight!

I emailed P&O the other day after someone had been told that the next 2 cruises might be cancelled & this is the reply I got:

Dear Karen,

Thank you for emailing Carnival Australia.

We can confirm that cruise W733 scheduled to depart Sydney on the 1st November 2007 has been cancelled due to an extended dry dock period. We unfortunately can not advise the likelihood of the next 2 cruises being cancelled, although at this stage this seems highly unlikely and we have heard no news of cancelling more cruises than the first one.

If you have any further queries please contact our reservations department on 13 24 69.

Kindest regards,

Bianca

Information

P&O Cruises Australia

Karen

Archived