Airline that fly direct between Vancouver and Las Vegas

summernz

Can anyone advise which airlines flying direct between Vancouver and Las Vegas. At the moment we are booked on America West, but have just found out that the flight has been changed and now we have to fly via Phoenix. Which means we have less time in Las Vegas (we only had three days to begin with).

As GBRBEB mentions, kayak.com is a handy way to check flights between 2 airports; note, however, that it does not include Southwest and a couple of small airlines. For your market, this does not come into play and the nonstop airlines include Air Canada (which has a code share arrangement with United), Alaska, West Jet, and of course US Airways (which now with the merged operation includes, I assume, your former America West flight). [bTW, by "direct" I take it you mean nonstop and not truly direct?]

SkyGuide (American Express publication) lists a Business Express flight 899 on Thursday and Sunday in March. It departs Vancouver at 5pm and arrives Las Vegas at 7:40pm

Paul

Paul, I think this has been a useful learning experience. Does the "publication" that you reference provide the same information as Sky Guide's online edition? From Harmony Airways' website, the 5 pm flight from Vancouver to Las Vegas is operated as HQ899. From Wikipedia, it appears that Business Express Airlines stopped operating in 2000.

I guess for completeness, the answer to OP's question is that it depends on day of the week and time of year. As you note, the 5 pm flight only operates on Thursdays and Sundays--and it is a seasonal flight at that. Similarly, the Philippine Airlines' flight does not operate on Mondays and Wednesdays. And, oddly, the 5 pm Harmony Airline's flight does not show up on Kayak.com. Hopefully, we wrestled this to the ground, but it wasn't as easy as it first appeared.

P.S. It seems that every flight scheduling tool has its limitations. One problem that I noted with Sky Guide, is that it doesn't appear to include Southwest Airlines. WN has something like a 98% market share between PVD and BWI because they are the only airline that flies nonstop in this market. Yet, it even doesn't show up in a search on Sky Guide.

From Harmony Airways' website, the 5 pm flight from Vancouver to Las Vegas is operated as HQ899. From Wikipedia, it appears that Business Express Airlines stopped operating in 2000.
The airline code "HQ" is currently used by Harmony. But a search of historical records shows that it was used by Business Express in the past.

Old and obsolete airline codes; controlled duplicates misinterpreted. Such are the byways of the airline industry. :D

Sorry if I got the wrong airline for code HQ. Sky Guide lists it as Business Express.

As to Southwest, my paper copy lists lots of Southwest flights. They don't fly to my hometown, so I have never flown them and am not familiar with their schedule. I can't say all their flights are included.

Paul

Southwest doesn't fly out of Vancouver. The OP would have to make their way to Seattle to get a flight to LAS.

To the OP:

You may loose a couple hours at best by stopping in PHX. Its only 300 miles from PHX to LAS. Less than an hours flight time.

But something doesn't make sense. You didn't post your exact dates, but looking in all databases I have available I find two NONSTOP flights per day from YVR to LAS-12:44PM and 7:29PM. I am going to assume you are booked on the 12:44PM. There has been no schedule change to that flight, as far as I can see, so don't understand the reason for the change to the PHX flight. Please explain.

I will state that if you are disembarking from your cruise on the day you are flying to LAS, you may have trouble making the 12:44PM flight out of YVR. You will be far better off taking the 2:10PM flight out of YVR, arrive PHX at 5:21 PM, depart PHX at 6:24PM and arrive LAS at 7:34.

You will thank me in more ways than one-not such a hustle and hassle trying to get off the ship to the airport. AND not arriving LAS in the heat of the day. The temperature can easily be 100+ at 4:00PM in LAS in the summer time. Take the later flight. Vegas doesn't close and you will be thankful that you arrived 3 hours later. Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Air Canada and Harmony fly this route.
FWIW, Harmony has announced that it is ceasing scheduled flights from 9 April 2007. Story here from the Toronto Globe and Mail:-
Harmony Airways to halt its flights

'Restructuring' firm could resurface

WENDY STUECK

VANCOUVER -- Four years after launching his own airline in response to being stranded in an airport while on vacation with his daughter, Vancouver entrepreneur David Ho has thrown in the towel: Harmony Airways Inc. will end scheduled flights April 9.

The airline could resurface as a charter carrier or use some other business model, a company spokesman said at a press conference to announce what the company called a "restructuring."

But Mr. Ho's vision of a niche airline that offered superior customer service and flights to destinations such as Honolulu and New York, and that had its eye on China, appears to have disappeared, doomed by high operating costs and tough competition.

• 3 weeks later...

This is another idea....try what we do....drive 40 minutes to Bellingham, Washington airport (or take the shuttle from Vancouver airport - about 35 bucks?) and fly Allegiant Air nonstop to Vegas for roughly 80 bucks one way.....

No airport improvement fee to pay, a small airport...very nice and easy!

The only way we would ever fly to Vegas.....

Log on to any airline ticket site the searches all the airlines and specify a ")" stop flight. It is really very simple, except that you have to search SW Airlines directly.

To misquote someone - if you give someone a fish, he eats a fish dinner. If he learns to fish, he can do it himself.

DON

To misquote someone - if you give someone a fish, he eats a fish dinner. If he learns to fish, he can do it himself.

Actually, the correct (IMO) version is:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him today. Teach him how to fish and he'll spend the weekend sitting in a boat drinking beer with his buddies!!"

Archived