A Tip of the Hat To Celebrity......Someone finally gets it

isujim

I have sailed almost exclusively with RC........and I still love their ships, especially their ship designs and overall product.....

However I want to commend Celebrity (I know owned by RC) for what they are doing with the Journey and Quest.

I have been very concerned for the past few years with the monster ships coming out...........CITY OF THE SEA would be more appropriate......with long lines and everything that goes with a monster size ship.......

I plan to book the Journey or Quest........I may end up full time with Celebrity.........if I like the experience, and i think I will.

Finally somebody gets it........or is at least providing an alternative........

Bigger is not necessarily better;)

I may be around Celebrity a lot more..............

While I agree that this is a wonderful option for those of us who prefer smaller ships, Oceania has been doing this for a while and have done it very successfully. Regent also sails smaller ships, though they are more luxurious and more expensive.

Princess also has two former R vessels in their fleet.

There is certainly a market for smaller ships versus the floating amusement parks/malls that seem so popular these days and it is nice to see Celebrity test the waters.

The smaller size of Century was a leading factor in choosing it for our next cruise. Up to 2500 folks on a behemoth ship? Nah, I don't think so.

And if Celebrity is also truly a step above the rest of the mass marketeers in quality, I'll be a happy enough camper (or cruiser).

I'd love to try a Regent with 700 pax on an all suite ship, it sounds like an awesome experience. But, oh, those prices! :(

The smaller size of Century was a leading factor in choosing it for our next cruise. Up to 2500 folks on a behemoth ship? Nah, I don't think so.

And if Celebrity is also truly a step above the rest of the mass marketeers in quality, I'll be a happy enough camper (or cruiser).

I'd love to try a Regent with 700 pax on an all suite ship, it sounds like an awesome experience. But, oh, those prices! :(

try over 4000 plus crew and staff on Freedom of the Seas. She looks like a building and feels like a convention hotel with no feeling of being at sea on a ship:(.

Regent offers deep discounts a few times per year and this is a great time to check them out. The ships are beautiful, cabins spectacular and food and service a large step up, at least IME.

I must get my 2 cents in here. We were on the Freedom in Feb. and had a wonderful experence. The only time we had a problem with crowds was on the elevators at meal time. The service was great and the shows were the best I've seen on the high seas. I think that because there are 3500 passangers that maybe they can afford better shows. My 2 favorite cruises were on the Galaxy. Two of my worst cruises were on the Zenith. I may catch some heat for hitting on the Zenith but that was just my experence.

Rollie

I like the new ships and the iteneraries.

I too prefer a more intimate experience...the elegance of a a nice meal, and conversation with other passengers....Not really interested in shopping Mall, rock climbing walls, extra charge casual restaurants, ice skating, and the like....I have all of that available any time to me here at home...I prefer to get a way from all that ....

But the Journey and Quest are more expensive that what we typically budget for a cruise, and I like the elegance of the formal evenings and informal eveings....

Plus we like to take the kids along, and Journey and Quest are not really the best choice for bringing a long kids.

Hi Jim,

I agree with you about Celebrity getting "it"! Frank and I just returned from our first X cruise and we had an excellent experience! We were on the Zenith and while the ship needed some TLC, the size and service could not be beat! Definitely better than any RCI cruise that we have been on! We were booked on the Zenith for Bermuda in September and were switched to the Journey so if you haven't tried it by September, I'll let you know what we think! Say hi to Rena for us!

PS

Frank & I did win a one-night pre-inaugaral cruise on the Liberty and while I am agreeing about liking the smaller ships, I will be doing that one-night on the Liberty. Can't pass up a free cruise, even if it is only for one night!

Hi Kris

Good to hear from you.........we think of you and Frank often.........great cruise we had.........

Actually we had one X cruise 2 years ago and wasn't impressed......but we are going to try them again.

The Journey/Quest really appeal to us and we are going to try one of those ships. As you know we don't have to worry about bringing the kids along since our youngest is now 30:) .......

Country Club casual doesn't bother me in the least nor would formal bother me in the least.........

Enjoy your pre inaugural cruise on the Liberty........

Hope we can hook up on a cruise again...........

and yes.........I started this thread to compliment Celebrity........while everything about these ships won't please everyone........they do indeed "get it".........and I'm giving them some business because of it.:)

I agree that they are a new alternative, but strongly dislike the country club casual dress code and the open seating.

I enjoy both and the success of Oceania bodes well for X with these enhancements. While not a fan of Freestyle on NCL and the bigger mass market ships, I loved it on the small ships where service was not compromised.

Well my prayers were answered.

I'm am avid Celebrity cruiser, just made Elite status this last cruise and when I heard they were going to build new ships I had hoped they were to be a smaller ship. Better yet, they purchased two Renaissance ships and they are still going to build three new ships.

I really like Celebrity, although I've cruised Royal Caribbean as well. I've found that I prefer a low-key style of cruising and I'm ready for a more casual, better port intensive cruise experience. I'm so glad Celebrity is going to give me those options.

I was ready to try an Oceania cruise, just for the casual ambiance, but

Celebrity will get my booking for now.

It's exciting to go on new ships and I've been on many when they first came out.

I guess the more you cruise and older you get you get more specific on what you want your cruise experience to be.

My poor husband can't keep up with me, but when he's walking up that gangplank, he's the one with the biggest grin on his face.

By the way, I just have to try the one of the new Ultra Mega Ships on RCL, so I'm already booked on the Liberty of the Seas with six other friends, but you won't see me on the Flowrider, I'll be at the martini bar.

One of the main reasons I gave up working onboard cruise ships was the trend for mega-sized ships.

As a crew member it became harder get to know the passengers & rarely saw the same passengers twice & the crew became more clique within their own department.

On the smaller ships everyone socialized with eachother & being on first name terms with the passengers was the norm.

Now Im a passenger I still prefer the smaller ship, however Im priced out of most of them.

Sailing with Celebrity for the first time in April & cant wait :)

Archived