Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Trovador,

Thanks again for your answers and thoughts on our visit. I thought $40 was a rather steep fee, since we don't plan on eating lunch and they don't allow use of the pool. So would you recommend a different beach in the vicinity?

As for Alto de Chavon, I don't think we'll bother to rent a wheel chair after all. It sounds like it's easy enough to just walk around at our leisure, especially since the taxi can get us up to the top and there won't be climbing involved.

What sort of weather is typical for December?

Thanks Again!

I just called Casa de Campo to confirm the day pass fee. You are right, in order to go to Minitas you have to get the $40 day pass. Sorry about that. It's not a bad option though.

HOWEVER, you can go to Altos de Chavón or the Marina, and there's no fee for that. You can simply say you are tourists looking around or that you have a restaurant reservation in one of the restaurants.

The closest beach to La Romana is Bayahibe/Dominicus, which is about 20-30 minutes away. If you plan to go there, negotiate the rate with the taxi driver BEFORE taking the trip. Some taxi drivers might assume you guys have a lot of money and overcharge you. So look for the good guys.

This information is awesome! Thanks so much for posting and taking time out of your cruise planning. We are hoping to do a med cruise in a few years.

Any thoughts on visiting Cueva de las Maravillas? I haven't really been able to find much and am not really a beach person, so had some interest in this.

thanks

I just called Casa de Campo to confirm the day pass fee. You are right, in order to go to Minitas you have to get the $40 day pass. Sorry about that. It's not a bad option though.

HOWEVER, you can go to Altos de Chavón or the Marina, and there's no fee for that. You can simply say you are tourists looking around or that you have a restaurant reservation in one of the restaurants.

The closest beach to La Romana is Bayahibe/Dominicus, which is about 20-30 minutes away. If you plan to go there, negotiate the rate with the taxi driver BEFORE taking the trip. Some taxi drivers might assume you guys have a lot of money and overcharge you. So look for the good guys.

approx. what should a cab cost to get to the sunspree resort on the beach?

Thank you for your responses to all of our inquiries! After reading your advice I am back to considering the easy Altos de Chavon for lunch & shopping. I have heard that you can't spend much time (more than a couple of hours) at Altos before you run out of things to do. I see there is a river boat available there. How is that to fill the time for a relaxing day? Is the path down to river boat very steep, and what about the climb back up? I'm not sure if I could do too many steps with my knees.....:rolleyes: Any other suggestions? (I also can't see the $40 for the beach for just a couple of hours.)

As you can see you are one popular poster on this thread!:D

Hi guys!

I feel the need to help you out with some info about the Dominican Republic as there is not much of it on these boards. I am from the Dominican Republic, live in Santo Domingo and frequently visit Casa de Campo as we have a family villa there.

First of all, about Tropical Storm Noel. Noel just passed over the Dominican Republic, no wind at all but lots of rain. The most damage was done to the southwest part of the island and specifically to small country towns that were too close to rivers. The affected areas are nowhere close to tourist ports, so I wouldn’t worry about it. I don't expect more reroutings on the upcoming weeks. Things are rapidly returning to normal everywhere.

Most cruise lines dock in the port in La Romana. Casa de Campo is located in La Romana, about 5 minutes from the port if a taxi is taken. I don’t have too much info on the actual cruise package excursions as I haven’t done any of the arranged packages, but if you tell me about what’s being offered, I can give you my opinion on it.

Casa de Campo is a very nice resort with many villas divided in areas (like neighborhoods) so it is indeed a small city on its own. It is very beautiful and has many different things to do. I expect that there may be a fee for enjoying the different activities and facilities at Casa de Campo for a day. It shouldn’t be too much, and worth it IMO. If you want to go to the beach, “Minitas” in Casa de Campo, is the closest to the port, but you’ll need a taxi to get there. Other tourist areas near Casa de Campo are “Bayahibe” and Dominicus. The beaches there are great, with soft white sand. However, they are more than 30 minutes away from Casa de Campo, so I wouldn’t recommend going there if on a one day stop with a cruise.

Casa de Campo Website:

http://www.casadecampo.com.do/

Sports and activities in Casa de Campo:

http://www.casadecampo.com.do/en/sports/index.asp

The main attraction of Casa de Campo are its golf courses. If you like golfing (and you have enough time) you’re in for a treat. “Teeth of the Dog” is constantly ranked as one of the 50 best courses in the world, with many holes located right next to the sea. It is absolutely breathtaking. Another great course is “Dye Fore” which runs right next to the Chavon River over hills overlooking both the Chavón River and the Caribbean sea. Both golf courses were designed by Pete Dye. Highly recommended. The other courses, “Links” and the “Romana Country Club” are also very, very nice. All of them are 18 holes, with the exception of the one in the Romana Country Club, which now has 27 holes, but a membership is needed.

Golf in Casa de Campo:

http://www.casadecampo.com.do/en/golf/index.asp

Two other areas stand as attractions, both parts of Casa de Campo. The first one is called “Altos de Chavón”, which is the small “city” made out of stone that looks like a Mediterranean villa. It overlooks the Chavon River on top of the hills and has many different shops and restaurants. Some I’d recommend are “La Giacosa” (international cuisine, best view of them all), La Piazzetta (wooden oven pizza) and a Mexican Restaurant right under La Piazzetta, which is also very good.

Altos de Chavón website:

http://www.altosdechavon.com/fs_village.htm

The Marina is a nice plaza and villas shapped like an italian town. If any of you has been to Burano (an island next to Venice) the site of La Marina will be extremely familiar. It is mainly a yacht port, very beautiful, many different restaurants and shops. For restaurants I’d recommend “Pepperoni” (a bit pricey, but well worth it, international cuisine) and “Chinois” a great Chinese restaurant with amazing quality and prices. If you’re looking to just eat more casually and have some nice coffee “Caribbean Coffee” is very nice, located right next to Pepperoni in the main plaza. Right next to it is a very nice ice cream parlor that makes hand made Italian ice cream. I love the coconut ice cream they make, try it if want, very nice. It’s all very European with a very relaxing atmosphere. In the Marina there’s also an small supermarket called “Supermercado Nacional” where you can find many Dominican products at the same prices we get in the city. You can’t miss it.

La Marina de Chavón at Casa de Campo website:

http://marinacasadecampo.com/

Now, not all of you are going to want to go to Casa de Campo and prefer just to stay closer to the ship and maybe do some shopping… in La Romana, I’d recommend walking to “Jumbo”. It’s very close. By car probably less than 5 minutes, so maybe 15 walking, really not bad at all. Jumbo is a Dominican department store (forget about “The Mercado Modelo”! more on that later), which has everything you’d want to shop for here, including a full supermarket. The prices are VERY cheap. You can get very good souvenirs and products (my recommendations are detailed further on this post).

La Romana is a typical Dominican town, not a big city, so expect it to be different that anything you might find in the US. For those of you that have done Caribbean cruises, it’s the common small Caribbean city. People will be friendly and are usually eager to help.

Oh, if you like Arab food, there’s a good small restaurant called “Shish Kabob” very close to the port. The “Kipes” and “Cativias” are very tasty. Try them out if you can.

Some info on Shopping in La Romana:

http://www.bookit.com/travel_guide-m0g00-La_Romana-Shopping.html

Dominican products and brands that you might enjoy:

Coffee: our coffee is extremely good. The best one as considered by us: Santo Domingo coffee.

Beer: the best one by far: “Presidente”. Other options both local and from other countries, not easily available in US: “Brahma” from Brazil, one of the best selling worldwide beers. Quilmes, from Argentina. Stella Artois, from Belgium. Bohemia from Dominican Republic.

Rum: the best brands are Barceló, Brugal and Bermudez. To me, the best one is “Barceló Imperial” which has won many international awards. Another favorite, “Brugal Añejo” or “Brugal Extra Viejo”.

Tobacco: A million options. Second to NONE. “La Aurora”, “León Jimenez”, “Arturo Fuentes”, “Cohiba”, etc. Many loca brands and brands from other countries, Duch as Cuba, established factories here to get around the Helms-Burton embargo. Just buy a few and enjoy.

Inexpensive souvenirs: There’s a type of doll made (pottery) usually in a small town called “Bonao” that is very popular with tourists. You can get them very cheap (I’d say starting at about $1) and I’m sure they would delight anyone you give one to. There’s also many different paintings and articles from local artists.

Vanilla extract, jewelery (Larimar and amber are the most common), etc

Some info on Santo Domingo:

Santo Domingo is about 1.5 hours away from La Romana. It is NOT just a dirty city. The problem is that the port of call for Santo Domingo is right in the “Colonnial City” which is the oldest part of the city as established by the European colonists over 500 years ago. Here you can find the first Cathedral of the New World, many stone monuments and towes, the “Alcazar” which is the house of the brother of Christopher Columbus, etc. The remains of Christopher Columbus are on the “Faro a Colon” monument.

I could write 100 pages on Santo Domingo, so if you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer. I almost forgot, I see some of you guys mentioning the “Mercado Modelo”. It is located in Santo Domingo, so if you’re arriving at the port in La Romana, you won’t have a chance to visit it. The problem with the Mercado Modelo is that it is a very popular market and quite dirty, so its not for everyone. Some tourists will love its “personality” other will find it too “in your face”. You can find many great bargains there though, if you’re the adventurous type. I haven’t been there in decades. Lol

Oh well, I hope this helps!.

Great Info!

I appreciate all you have posted and will continue to post.

A lot of great info here, just curious has anyone considered or have an opinion about an excursion through RCL..Bayahibe Beach Break to Casa de Mar Resort. My family is on the Dec 14th sailing and will only be in DC very short time 7:30 am - 2 pm. Would like to just go on our own, but worried about missing the ship...

Trovador,

Thanks again for your answers and thoughts on our visit. I thought $40 was a rather steep fee, since we don't plan on eating lunch and they don't allow use of the pool. So would you recommend a different beach in the vicinity?

As for Alto de Chavon, I don't think we'll bother to rent a wheel chair after all. It sounds like it's easy enough to just walk around at our leisure, especially since the taxi can get us up to the top and there won't be climbing involved.

What sort of weather is typical for December?

Thanks Again!

Forgot to answer about the weather. We just have one for the entire year, warm.

In December, at nights, you might need a very light jacket on very few nights. Other than that, as long as you are indeed wearing something, you're fine. lol

This information is awesome! Thanks so much for posting and taking time out of your cruise planning. We are hoping to do a med cruise in a few years.

Any thoughts on visiting Cueva de las Maravillas? I haven't really been able to find much and am not really a beach person, so had some interest in this.

thanks

The "Cueva de las Maravillas" is about 20-30 minutes from the port. I drive next to the entrance every single time I go to Casa de Campo but have never actually gone in. I've heard it's pretty cool, so it might be a nice change of pace if you don't want to go to the beach. Sorry I can't tell you for sure.

approx. what should a cab cost to get to the sunspree resort on the beach?

I'm not familiar with the "Sunspree" resort. (There are many different hotel chains on the Bayahibe and Dominicus area). If it is in that area, I'd expect US $20-$30 to be a fair taxi price for the trip considering the distance (could be a little more, but not much more). Should also be a fixed rate, not per person, so if you can get a few people together, should be quite inexpensive.

Thank you for your responses to all of our inquiries! After reading your advice I am back to considering the easy Altos de Chavon for lunch & shopping. I have heard that you can't spend much time (more than a couple of hours) at Altos before you run out of things to do. I see there is a river boat available there. How is that to fill the time for a relaxing day? Is the path down to river boat very steep, and what about the climb back up? I'm not sure if I could do too many steps with my knees.....:rolleyes: Any other suggestions? (I also can't see the $40 for the beach for just a couple of hours.)

As you can see you are one popular poster on this thread!:D

lol thanks.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend much time on Altos de Chavón if I wasn't having lunch there. It's nice and all, but it's not a place to spend many hours in.

The stairs to the river are actually pretty tough (LOTS of stairs, probably over 100 steps, and the kind you have to make two steps per stair), so if you have knee problems, think it twice. I remember a few years ago I traveled the river in a Wave Runner, it is indeed a pretty sight, but not really that long unless they were going slow. For the boat river tour, I'd wait until being on Altos de Chavón to see if it's something I'd like (if possible).

Hope this helps a little.

A lot of great info here, just curious has anyone considered or have an opinion about an excursion through RCL..Bayahibe Beach Break to Casa de Mar Resort. My family is on the Dec 14th sailing and will only be in DC very short time 7:30 am - 2 pm. Would like to just go on our own, but worried about missing the ship...

Casa del Mar is one of the hotels in Bayahibe. I've been there many times, so I'm assuming they are offering some sort of day pass thing with beach activities and maybe lunch?. They have a nice beach and would be convenient to be taken there and have stuff to do and keeping the cruise schedule. Not sure if it's worth it depending on the price you're getting.

Here's some info on Casa del Mar:

http://www.colonialtours.com.do/en/casadelmar.htm

The "Cueva de las Maravillas" is about 20-30 minutes from the port. I drive next to the entrance every single time I go to Casa de Campo but have never actually gone in. I've heard it's pretty cool, so it might be a nice change of pace if you don't want to go to the beach. Sorry I can't tell you for sure.

Thanks so much for the information. Seems like this would be something different, so may give it a shot.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe th ships tour includes nothing more than taking you to the beach there and for that they charge $55 pp. In that case, doesn't it make more sense to stay a bit closer and pay the $40 for the use of the resort and the beach at Caso de Campo? I was trying to decipher what it is the RCCL tour offered, but from what I saw, it was simply taking you there. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks.. and thanks again to you, Trovador for all of your help!

Here's another tour that may be interesting. I haven't heard anyone mention it before. It would be nice if we could combine this 3 1/2 hour tour with a trip to Altos de Chavon.:)

An overall sightseeing tour of La Romana and its surroundings; comfortable "safari-style" open top trucks will take you into the Dominican countryside. See and feel the lifestyle and friendliness of the local people, come with us to visit the sugar cane plantation where you will try fresh cut sugar cane and learn about this amazing industry. Then, sightsee the largest collection of Orchids & Cactus in the Dominican Republic. From there, visit a cigar factory where you will see Dominican cigars being made. For souvenirs, you will be taken to a gift shop where you are greeted with a Mama Juana welcome drink, sample fresh exotic fruit, browse around and shop for approx 45 min. before returning to the pier.

It looks like this might give us a feel of La Ramona. We will be in Labadee for a beach day the day before this and then have a full day sail in St. Thomas the next day, so this could possibly break up the "water routine". What do you think of this itinerary, Travador?

Trovador, thanks for the fantastic information you are providing for us!

We think we might be interested in doing some shopping, hopefully within walking distance of the ship. I have a few specific questions:

1) What time do shops open? (We are in port from 7:30 to 2:00)

2) You mentioned Jumbo, which sounds interesting. Is there any other shopping in the area around the port?

3) Will two women feel comfortable (safe) walking from the ship alone or should we take a cab? If so, how much should it cost and will the cabs take US$?

4) Is there a better area for shopping that we should consider?

Thanks for your help!

My husband is very interested in the river fishing offered by Casa de Campo. It is not offered as a Royal Caribbean excursion. Would love to find out if anyone has any info that we can do this either through the resort or otherwise.

Thanks!

Here's another tour that may be interesting. I haven't heard anyone mention it before. It would be nice if we could combine this 3 1/2 hour tour with a trip to Altos de Chavon.:)

An overall sightseeing tour of La Romana and its surroundings; comfortable "safari-style" open top trucks will take you into the Dominican countryside. See and feel the lifestyle and friendliness of the local people, come with us to visit the sugar cane plantation where you will try fresh cut sugar cane and learn about this amazing industry. Then, sightsee the largest collection of Orchids & Cactus in the Dominican Republic. From there, visit a cigar factory where you will see Dominican cigars being made. For souvenirs, you will be taken to a gift shop where you are greeted with a Mama Juana welcome drink, sample fresh exotic fruit, browse around and shop for approx 45 min. before returning to the pier.

It looks like this might give us a feel of La Ramona. We will be in Labadee for a beach day the day before this and then have a full day sail in St. Thomas the next day, so this could possibly break up the "water routine". What do you think of this itinerary, Travador?

I think it sounds nice. None of those things by itself are that great, but those are things that would be nice to see at least once, and they're combining different things plus shopping time, so not bad. Definitely a break from all the water, if that's what you're looking for. lol

Trovador, thanks for the fantastic information you are providing for us!

We think we might be interested in doing some shopping, hopefully within walking distance of the ship. I have a few specific questions:

1) What time do shops open? (We are in port from 7:30 to 2:00)

2) You mentioned Jumbo, which sounds interesting. Is there any other shopping in the area around the port?

3) Will two women feel comfortable (safe) walking from the ship alone or should we take a cab? If so, how much should it cost and will the cabs take US$?

4) Is there a better area for shopping that we should consider?

Thanks for your help!

Jumbo opens Mon-Sat 8:00AM to 9PM, on Sundays 9AM to 7PM. Other shops should be open at more or less the same time.

There are many smaller shops and markets around the area. Right next to Jumbo there's an arts & crafts store with a lot of different souvenir.

Women shouldn't have a problem walking around, it's pretty safe and it's in the middle of the day. Locals will look a lot at you though, we're curious people lol. If you are uncomfortable with this, maybe a cab would be better. Shouldn't be expensive as Jumbo is pretty close to the port. I assume they will take dollars, but at the exchange rate they want, so it would be to your disadvantage. I'd negotiate any rate (dollars or pesos) before taking the cab ride.

In Romana I don't think you'll find a better shopping place than Jumbo and it's surroundings. If you're looking for better shops, there are some in the Marina of Casa de Campo and in Altos de Chavón. Depends on what you're looking for.

My husband is very interested in the river fishing offered by Casa de Campo. It is not offered as a Royal Caribbean excursion. Would love to find out if anyone has any info that we can do this either through the resort or otherwise.

Thanks!

River fishing?. Does it say what river?. I ask because I haven't seen any fishing done in the Chavón River, which is the closest. There's another river that's not that far called "the soco", which might have areas suitable for fishing. If it's offered by Casa de Campo, it should be pretty good, but I've frankly never heard of it.

Are there any sights we can see within walking distance from the ship or should we take a tour? Also, can you walk to the shopping area? Thanks.

Please check the first post I made, a few pages back. I also made a separate thread with the same info. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Trovador,

ps.. I just took my first mediterranean cruise last year and would love to answer any questions you might have, if I can. We spent time in Barcelona both before and after the cruise and our ports included Florence, Naples, Rome, Nice and Marseilles. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask! Enjoy!

Hi! I've been browsing the Mediterranean forum for some info, but since you recently went there, just a few questions...

In Civitavecchia, is it safe to take the train to Rome? or is it better to take a cab? or maybe the cruise transfer?. We're four people and looking for options, we saw that the train is the cheapest option but the lesser reliable and don't know what's the taxi situation. Thanks!.

Archived