Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Thanks for bringing it back up Deb. I hope someone can give us some first hand experience of what it is like for cruisers of the Explorer when they port at Casa De Campo. I'm not sure but I think she was there this past week. SOLLY

Was waiting for the people who just got back recently to post, but I guess they have forgotten about us :eek:

Hey guys! If you drop by do tell us how it went. Thanks!

Was waiting for the people who just got back recently to post, but I guess they have forgotten about us :eek:

Hey guys! If you drop by do tell us how it went. Thanks!

I don't think they actually return until tomorrow. Since the first 9 nighter was rerouted due to Noel, I think the 11/23 is the first one that has gone there, so they should return tomorrow. Hopefully they will remember us.:o

I don't think they actually return until tomorrow. Since the first 9 nighter was rerouted due to Noel, I think the 11/23 is the first one that has gone there, so they should return tomorrow. Hopefully they will remember us.:o

Your exactly right the 11/23 sailing was the first one to go to Casa De campo. No one has posted yet. :( I'm really excited for someone to post as were leaving on 12/14 on Explorer and I still dont know what were doing at this port. I try to stay away from the cruise ship excursions.

Oh well I guess ill drop in again tomorrow and see if anyone posted.

Talk to you all soon.

We just returned from the 11/23 cruise and have a few comments about La Romana/Casa de Campo. Our family decided to make our way out on our own and I can say that this can be done - there are shuttles to the Marina at the resort and also to Altos de Chavon. The Marina shuttle costs $5 round trip and the Altos shuttle costs $7 RT per person. We did not head out to either place, but another couple in our travel group did go to Altos and mentioned that it was well worth the trip.

We walked off the ship and took a taxi to Bayhibe beach. There was a very helpful information attendant in the "terminal" area. The taxi prices were clearly posted and the price for round trip to the beach was $55 which included a 2 hour wait time. We paid for an extra hour of wait which was an additional $8. So for ~$70 our whole family made it to the beach for 3 hours versus the RCI expedition pricing.

We did see other people from the ship at the beach we were at, but it was a small "public" beach and I did not see a large bus group so I am not sure where the ship excursion stopped along the beach. One note is that there is a small local market right on the beach and they will ask for you to walk through and buy something from the merchants - I viewed this as the beach "fee". We walked through and bought some nice shell necklaces for our daughters and it was really no big deal. We felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time with the entire family (kids aged 7, 4, & 19 months).

We actually felt that given some time this could actually be a nice port stop. THe people were nice and friendly and the areas we visited were clean and the beach was beautiful. The only disadvantage seems to be that there does not appear to be anything within walking distance of the boat.

Thank you so much for posting!:D The information you gave us is exactly the type of thing we are all looking for. Just one question from me (ok, a couple) - how long is the taxi ride to Bayahibe? Also, do you know how long the ride to Altos De Chavon is? Would it be possible to do both in one visit?

We just returned from the 11/23 cruise and have a few comments about La Romana/Casa de Campo. Our family decided to make our way out on our own and I can say that this can be done - there are shuttles to the Marina at the resort and also to Altos de Chavon. The Marina shuttle costs $5 round trip and the Altos shuttle costs $7 RT per person. We did not head out to either place, but another couple in our travel group did go to Altos and mentioned that it was well worth the trip.

We walked off the ship and took a taxi to Bayhibe beach. There was a very helpful information attendant in the "terminal" area. The taxi prices were clearly posted and the price for round trip to the beach was $55 which included a 2 hour wait time. We paid for an extra hour of wait which was an additional $8. So for ~$70 our whole family made it to the beach for 3 hours versus the RCI expedition pricing.

We did see other people from the ship at the beach we were at, but it was a small "public" beach and I did not see a large bus group so I am not sure where the ship excursion stopped along the beach. One note is that there is a small local market right on the beach and they will ask for you to walk through and buy something from the merchants - I viewed this as the beach "fee". We walked through and bought some nice shell necklaces for our daughters and it was really no big deal. We felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time with the entire family (kids aged 7, 4, & 19 months).

We actually felt that given some time this could actually be a nice port stop. THe people were nice and friendly and the areas we visited were clean and the beach was beautiful. The only disadvantage seems to be that there does not appear to be anything within walking distance of the boat.

I really appreciate you posting after your return from your cruise. First off I hope you had a wonderful cruise. Secondly that $70 dollar fee was for 5 of you? How much was the rate for two people if you recall. I also wanted to know if they had an Altos and beach combo offered. Once again thank you for taking the time to post.

thank you for your report.. just a few additional questions.. were there chaise lounges and umbrellas to rent on the public beach and did you notice if there was any snorkeling from the beach?... I believe the ship's excursion goes to the sunspree resort and you have the use of the resort facilities.. we have been considering getting a day pass at the resort that is all inclusive, lunch,drinks and use of all facilities for 50.00 , plus we would need a taxi to get there but there is 5 of us to share the taxi so that would work..the ship's excursion to the resort is about the same but does not include lunch, or drinks.. but does include transportation...

Is this beach free to use then? I dont need water toys or pools. Do you have any pictures you can share? Was it easy to grab a taxi?

This is great info, thank you, do you know how often the shuttles were running by any chance?

We were on the 11/23 Explorer cruise and did the beach break excusion through the ship. 4 full sized air conditioned buses waited for us at the terminal area. We were supposed to go to Casa Del Mar but we went to Oasis Canoa. This resort was 25 minutes from the dock. We were told that this is the place they will go to from now on. It was a very beautiful place. Drinks were included but no food. They also provided the towels. The pool was spectacular and the beach was very nice too. I should mention that the beaches are tops optional but I think this is common in DR. The resort itself was not crowded and had plenty of chairs with thatched roof cabanas. The cost through RCI was $55 for adults and $35 for kids. We'd do that again. Seemed like the best choice of places to visit at this port.

A few answer to the follow-up questions:

The ride to Bayhibe was 20-30 minutes (hard to be exact as I was not looking at my watch!). Since we did not do the Altos de Chavon I can't say for sure how far that was from the dock. There was not a specific combo offered, but the taxi driver did ask us on the return if there was anywhere else we wanted to stop, so I believe that you could arrange for a stop there as well. I'm not sure how often the shuttles run, but there were a few lined up when we got off the ship in the morning.

There were chairs ($?) and umbrellas ($5) for rent at the beach. I did not notice any snorkeling in the area we were at.

The cost posted at the taxi stand was a flat $55 for up to 5 people. There was a woman there who was directing the taxis and was offering to group together smaller sized groups into one cab to save on the fare. There were taxis waiting the whole time we were in port.

As I mentioned, the beach itself was free (we specifically asked the taxi driver). There were a number of people at the beach area who were looking to help out - cut you a coconut, get you a chair/umbrella. They also asked about braids for the girls hair. We kindly said thank you upon arriving but that we were not interested and they basically left us alone the rest of the time we were there. The did push for us to look at the local market (paintings, jewelry, carved artwork) prior to leaving, but we could have easily just left in the taxi without looking.

I don't have my pictures loaded yet, but the public beach was right near a fake lighthouse which was a bar for the nearby resort. I searched for this and found that this is the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. There are pictures of this resort online and it at least shows the general look of the beach area we were at.

A few answer to the follow-up questions:

The ride to Bayhibe was 20-30 minutes (hard to be exact as I was not looking at my watch!). Since we did not do the Altos de Chavon I can't say for sure how far that was from the dock. There was not a specific combo offered, but the taxi driver did ask us on the return if there was anywhere else we wanted to stop, so I believe that you could arrange for a stop there as well. I'm not sure how often the shuttles run, but there were a few lined up when we got off the ship in the morning.

There were chairs ($?) and umbrellas ($5) for rent at the beach. I did not notice any snorkeling in the area we were at.

The cost posted at the taxi stand was a flat $55 for up to 5 people. There was a woman there who was directing the taxis and was offering to group together smaller sized groups into one cab to save on the fare. There were taxis waiting the whole time we were in port.

As I mentioned, the beach itself was free (we specifically asked the taxi driver). There were a number of people at the beach area who were looking to help out - cut you a coconut, get you a chair/umbrella. They also asked about braids for the girls hair. We kindly said thank you upon arriving but that we were not interested and they basically left us alone the rest of the time we were there. The did push for us to look at the local market (paintings, jewelry, carved artwork) prior to leaving, but we could have easily just left in the taxi without looking.

I don't have my pictures loaded yet, but the public beach was right near a fake lighthouse which was a bar for the nearby resort. I searched for this and found that this is the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. There are pictures of this resort online and it at least shows the general look of the beach area we were at.

Thank you so much for all of the information you've posted. I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for the posting. I think you may have answered this but I will ask it anyway as I could not figure it out.

We leave on Dec 16. I am glad there is a beach that you do not have to pay for. I was sorta dreading the $70 cab fare and then another $170 admission for our family.

Was there food and drinks available for purchase?

What about this port at night? We are leaving Dec. 16 on Costa and our times in port at Casa de Campo are 6-11 pm. Definately won't be worth going to the beach ( we are going to Catalina Island during the day anyways ). How would Altos de Chavon be at night and the Marina be at night?

if the ship is offering the Kandela excursion at nite TAKE IT!!.. it is a fabulous show at the altos chavon amphitheater....!!!.. we will be there on our jan. cruise but leaving at 4 p.m. .. I would do that excursion again if we were staying later!...:(

Thank you so much for the posting. I think you may have answered this but I will ask it anyway as I could not figure it out.

We leave on Dec 16. I am glad there is a beach that you do not have to pay for. I was sorta dreading the $70 cab fare and then another $170 admission for our family.

Was there food and drinks available for purchase?

There was a small "local" restaurant right near the beach. We chose not to eat there, but they did have Coke, beer, and food available.

mwzimm,

Thank-you for your post. Many of us have been trying to find out if it was possible to get to a beach without doing a shore excursion through the ship.

You have been very helpful. If you get a chance, pictures of the beach would be a bonus for us.:)

I notice you are new to the boards also, so I would like to welcome you. I have learned so much over the years and I try to give back and answer questions whenever I can.

I have not yet ever gotten a "bum steer" through my CC friends. (which kind of amazes me)

My DH is always so surprised when we arrive somewhere and I drag us off on an adventure. Now sometimes he just looks at me and says "Cruise Critic, right?"

mwzimm,

Thank-you for your post. Many of us have been trying to find out if it was possible to get to a beach without doing a shore excursion through the ship.

You have been very helpful. If you get a chance, pictures of the beach would be a bonus for us.:)

I notice you are new to the boards also, so I would like to welcome you. I have learned so much over the years and I try to give back and answer questions whenever I can.

I have not yet ever gotten a "bum steer" through my CC friends. (which kind of amazes me)

My DH is always so surprised when we arrive somewhere and I drag us off on an adventure. Now sometimes he just looks at me and says "Cruise Critic, right?"

Couldnt help by reply to your post. I couldnt agree with you more. I can always count on cruise critic to point me in the right direction. I'm a cruise critic addict too. I would recommend it to anyone in a heart beat. I do most of my homework on the ports I'm visiting on cruise critic. Yes sometimes you cant find much, but what you do find you can count on being on target.

Were going on a transatlantic in April and the Europe boards are not that organized. Id rather see each port by itself not grouped. Hard to find things in that area.

Archived