Blackpool - What do you think

mini%20tower%20to%20tower%20(small).JPG

Blackpool looking decidably not all that shabby. Of course, it was a very windy day (as is evidenced by all the sand on the prom), so all the filth probably blew further inland and the buildings have likely been sandblasted cleaner than they normally are. ;)

Picture is a bit cheesy, but we were posing for media so had to "ham it up"

manchester_shambles.jpg

Manchester, the "Shambles" area.

OK, so there are a couple of bits of trash, I'll give you that, but no more than I could probably see by walking out of my office to the street right now. However, being a non-smoker, I did notice an unhealthy number of fag-ends on the sidewalks and pathways (roll on July!). One can blame either lazy Mancunians for that, or a council not willing to put out enough (any?) trash cans (I don't see one in any of the pictures I have of that area).

Just to be controversial, bearing bearing in mind my previous quote about staying in Blackpool, I would rather have a weekend there, than a weekend in the 'tourist' areas of London which can be just a bit more than a little bit tacky.

I absolutely love London. I have favourite places to stay, favourite places to go, favourite places to eat. Between there and Paris it's a toss-up over which is my favourite city to visit in the entire world.

But I also have a philosophy of trying different things, and of trying to not discount a place without trying it for myself first.

However, I understand where some of the prejudices (if that's the right word) are coming from. I've personally blasted past Birmingham gawd knows how many times, thinking there probably wouldn't be much there of interest to me and therefore no reason to leave the motorway. But I just recently realized that it too has grown in prominence over the last 30 odd years and is worth a look!

The same holds true for cities like Newcastle, and (shock, horror) Glasgow, which is nowhere near the same city lampooned in Rab C. Nesbitt however many years ago (although I'm sure a great many of the same kind of characters still live there!)

I love going to Blackpool. The fresh smell of the sea, fish and chips, sticks of rock. Take a walk up one of the piers when the tide is in. It is the seaside at its old fashioned best.

In Manchester try to visit the Museum of Science and Industry, lots of big steam engines.

If you have transport travel South out of Manchester to Tatton Park, Lyme Park or Dunham Massey to see how the aristocracy once lived.

I hope you enjoy your visit:)

If you have transport travel South out of Manchester to Tatton Park, Lyme Park or Dunham Massey to see how the aristocracy once lived

And if you're really brave, visit Ordsall Hall too.

If Salford has traditionally been considered by many to be the Beiruit of the north west, then Ordsall could be considered..... Well actually, I can't think of anything worse. But just because this beautiful old house has ended up in what is thought to be the crapiest part of Salford, that's still no reason to miss it (just keep the car doors locked on the way in ;) )

Also in Salford, but a slightly better part than Ordsall, is the Salford Museum and Art Gallery. In the basement is a tableau of 19th century Salford street life. Full size store fronts containing artifacts from the period. It's really quite good.

While you're at the Science & Industry museum, step across the road to Castlefield and see the Roman ruins. There is a gateway and part of the city walls (the gateway in particular is in remarkably good condition). And if you do that, walk down to the canal there and just wander the banks a little bit. That particular section of the canal has gone through a lot of regeneration in the past half-dozen (or so) years.

Blackpool...... WHAAAAT? ... please don't,you will be so disappointed.

If your trip is centered on Manchester,take your family to Alton Towers for all the white knuckle rides you need. It's about an hour drive from Manchester.

Blackpool...... WHAAAAT? ... please don't,you will be so disappointed.

If your trip is centered on Manchester,take your family to Alton Towers for all the white knuckle rides you need. It's about an hour drive from Manchester.

I looked at Alton Towers on the web. The idea for Blackpool was to combine rides with a more traditional seaside resort experience. We may be disappointed, but at least it will be different than the modern theme park experience.

Again, thanks to all for their ideas for the Manchester region! All your feedback and ideas have helped confirm my choice regarding the area as being a good pre-cruise destination.

if you want to visit blackpool, then just go and see for yourself it,s your vacation. don't be put off by other people. i hope you enjoy it. p.s i think the lake district is overrated. give me the ny finger lakes any day, or durham city england. wayne

if you want to visit blackpool, then just go and see for yourself it,s your vacation. don't be put off by other people. i hope you enjoy it. p.s i think the lake district is overrated. give me the ny finger lakes any day, or durham city england. wayne

Exactly. I am planning on going. In terms of the lake district, it has been something on my mind for a while. I did a reasonable amount of work in the London area earlier in my career and heard too many people discuss the lake district as a destination. It sounds great for day hiking.

Just curious

Do they still have the big market in Fleetwood(?) on tuesdays - I remember taking the tram up to it when we were last in Blackpool to see the lights (we stayed at Pontins :eek: - and now I cruise:D )

karen

If you do go to Blackpool just accept it for what it is - an old fashioned seaside resort which has not kept up with the times. It is not going to be like any experience you have had in the US, but isn't that what travelling is about - new experiences? Just please don't think that Blackpool will give you a flavour of our coastal resorts - we have some beautiful areas.

As far as hotels go - the De Vere, Heron's Reach is a nice Blackpool hotel, near to Blackpool Zoo. The Norbreack Castle is nearer the beach and is also quite a good hotel.

Enjoy your trip, but next time try visiting Yorkshire :)

I've been to Blackpool a couple of times, once during the illuminations. It reminded me of Niagra Falls (without the falls) tacky, a little run down, we had a good time at the amusment park and looking at garish souveniers, it's very very touristy.

I was amazed when the tide went out and there were hundreds of yards of muck and no water under the piers. That really was the most interesting part for me. I guess it's one of those places you have to visit once in your life and buy some blackpool rock. :)

Oh and about the Savoy, I stayed there for 6 nights last August and did not have to jump over pools of vomit on the streets, maybe they cleaned it up just for my stay, but the entire area around the Savoy was clean and pleasant.

Oh and about the Savoy, I stayed there for 6 nights last August and did not have to jump over pools of vomit on the streets, maybe they cleaned it up just for my stay, but the entire area around the Savoy was clean and pleasant.

I'll check it out when I'm back there in October. The whole area surrounding the train station has been a well known place to find dossers and winos bedding down for the night in the past.

I can honestly say I didn't see anything like that, but it wouldn't surprise me ~ there are homeless people in every large city (I'm from Toronto and there are many here)

We went to 4 theatre shows at night and walked quite a bit around the savoy area, I didn't see anything offputting or that would make me uncomfortable. We had a great stay, by the way.. excellent service & accommodation.

newcastle.uk. Go for it hinney.When I'm on a cruise I always advise any US passengers to go the the "Holy Land" The Land of the Prince Bishops, COUNTY DURHAM along with Northumberland , som e of the best scenery and locales in the UK. Durham Cathedral the best in the world, I ahve seen dozens araound the world and NONE can beat it.Historically Hadrian Wall- Roman forts by the load- the Oldest Saxon Church in England-and friendly people with the best beer in the world.

I live in the Manchester area, and awknowledge "bigwally's" comments about Ordsall- Salford

however there is still the "Quays" area which is being developed with shops and flats.

(apolitical now)The problem with London is there are to many "foreigners"( as against tourists ) there, ask for directions and they can not tell you or do not speak English.Having worked in London for several years I was glad to get out back to civilisation.

newcastle.uk. Go for it hinney.When I'm on a cruise I always advise any US passengers to go the the "Holy Land" The Land of the Prince Bishops, COUNTY DURHAM along with Northumberland , som e of the best scenery and locales in the UK. Durham Cathedral the best in the world, I ahve seen dozens araound the world and NONE can beat it.Historically Hadrian Wall- Roman forts by the load- the Oldest Saxon Church in England-and friendly people with the best beer in the world.

I live in the Manchester area, and awknowledge "bigwally's" comments about Ordsall- Salford

however there is still the "Quays" area which is being developed with shops and flats.

(apolitical now)The problem with London is there are to many "foreigners"( as against tourists ) there, ask for directions and they can not tell you or do not speak English.Having worked in London for several years I was glad to get out back to civilisation.

it,s a shame most tourists don,t venture out of main cities as there are some beautifull places all around the world. my favourite is ithica in new york state. the people are so warm and friendly and the nearby lake and waterfalls are breathtaking. keep promoting our beautifull area too. :)

thanks wayne

Archived