packing jewelry

They look good, but I waited too long to think about this...we leave Saturday...need to be creative since there's no time for shipping! :o

If you WANT to buy stuff, instead of the baggie idea, go to Bed Bath and Beyond. They have these, too.

:)

Have a great cruise!

This may sound odd....but I use a very small plastic tackle box to pack jewelry. It's an organizer with compartments that are perfect size for different pieces of jewelry and then I place cotton balls on top to keep the jewelry from moving around.

It's usually the thin chains that give me trouble, so here's what I use:

A drinking straw!:)

Thread one end of the necklace all the way through and then latch it on the outside of the straw, basically so one half of the necklace is in the straw and the other half is out, alongside the straw. I hope that makes sense.

You can cut the straws to the right length or use two if needed.

McDonalds and Sonic seem to generally have thicker straws than others; don't know why.

I resorted to this after carpal tunnel syndrome (and two daughters' jewelry) got the best of my untangling skills. Good luck!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Thread one end of the necklace all the way through and then latch it on the outside of the straw, basically so one half of the necklace is in the straw and the other half is out, alongside the straw. I hope that makes sense.

McDonalds and Sonic seem to generally have thicker straws than others; don't know why.

I love that idea! I'll have to treat my DS to McDonalds before we leave Saturday.

Thanks

It depends on your jewelry, of course, but this is what I do. I only take one gold chain and one silver chain. I take as many pendants as I wish and just put them on the chain that matches. My husband gives me all my jewelry as gifts and he makes sure that the pendant can be easily removed...i.e., don't want a clasp that is too big. I have a silk pouch with individual pockets to hold my jewelry. I am always wearing one of the chains and put the other in its own pocket. Have never had a problem with it getting tangled.

Go to the local dollar store and you can buy bags of straws for 1 dollar.

I have travel jewelry cases. I have various methods depending on what I am packing. I wrap each chain around a small piece of cardboard, like from socks, cut into little rectangles, then place them in the box. One of my boxes has a place for necklaces but they still tend to tangle, so I wrap a tissue around all of them to keep them from shifting around.

I read every post and saw nothing about putting it in checked bags.

I've used the straw method....it works great!

I've noticed some places have thicker or wider mouthed straws....thats when I turn into the little old lady :eek: :D that you see taking all the Sweet n Low or Equal packets from the table and stuffing them into my purse. I stock up on those straws!!!! :D My DH looks the other way!!! :eek:

I am stunned. I am speechless. I am awed by your brilliance. THIS IS A FABULOUS IDEA.

Going downstairs to check on straw supply..................

I was at Target today and thought about this straw thing, well I saw a perfect item that will work great with the straws! A really cute zipper shut, soft sided pencil case, for a whopping 3 dollars! I got a pink one. So now my straws are in the dishwasher and since pencils fit, the straws should too. It is really cute. Ill try to get a photo posted in the next day or so!

Merion mom:

Wow, I can't believe it. A newbie like me actually contributed something that a 9000+ member could use!:cool: I'm happy to help. I actually travel with very little jewelry, but this really helps at home in the jewelry box.

Nitra:

Great idea with the pencil case! I love it when we build on each other's ideas. I'm going to suggest that to my mom for the next time she travels.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

(and yes, I do put my jewelry in my carry-on)

These are all WONDERFUL! ideas! Put the chains in straws and then in a pencil holder, put the rings and earrings in a pill holder! It doesn't matter if it is checked or carryon, it will get tangled in just a box or cabbodle.

I have allways wondered how to pack jewlery.

Thanks!

The case I bought will actually hold the pill case too, so you could have compartments to put the little things and then put your straws in next to them.

Boy are we some creative gals or what???

Case open

Outside of case

I have decorated the outside since I took the photo. I have a bunch of cute things I used to decorate my cast/boot, so used some to fix up my case!

At home, I use not a tackle box, but a crafts box, which has basically the same design: separate little square or rectangular compartments, and a lid that snaps and locks.

But for travel, even in those little squares, the necklaces can move around and get tangled. The straw idea is great, and putting all the straws in a pencil case is fabulous, and since I already have both of those things, it's free!

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

some great ideas...have my list ready for today's shopping trip...wish I had thought of this last week...could have saved some paper towel rolls...I have some clunky necklaces...thanks to all...

Not really a jewelry packing tip but might come in handy for someone else. I save those nice heavy zipper bags that pillow cases, sheets, etc come in and then use them for traveling. They are great to put your shampoo etc in and then you can toss them in your checked bag. I use one for hair, one for my face stuff, one for my sunscreens, etc. keeps everything all neat and if something comes open, my clothes stay protected and I dont have to spend money on zip lock bags!

Archived