Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

I would like to give NCL a big wet kiss. They cancelled on Friday, I booked with Carnival on Friday for an inside guarantee. Exactly 5 days later, I find out I've been upgraded to a balcony stateroom.

Thanks for cancelling, NCL! :D

So glad things worked out for you, I know how excited you were about this cruise.:)

We could all only wish the Garden Villa would go for $6600. Carol had the GV booked.

She is in a cabin costing $25,000 per week and NCL is treating her like dirt? What is wrong with NCL??? I would be doing everything I could to keep her happy. How many people are willing to pay $25,000 for a cabin for a week?

Sounds to me like NCL is close to loosing the kind of customer any other cruise line would love to have.

She is in a cabin costing $25,000 per week and NCL is treating her like dirt? What is wrong with NCL??? I would be doing everything I could to keep her happy. How many people are willing to pay $25,000 for a cabin for a week?

Sounds to me like NCL is close to loosing the kind of customer any other cruise line would love to have.

Things worked out for her and she was able to rebook.:)

Things worked out for her and she was able to rebook.:)

Well, I am glad NCL came to its senses. She seems happy about the final outcome, which is very good. Hopefully she can put all of this behind her and have a great cruise.

Well, I am glad NCL came to its senses. She seems happy about the final outcome, which is very good. Hopefully she can put all of this behind her and have a great cruise.

Thank you. We are all very happy and looking forward to our July cruise.

Did NCL ever lose its senses?

Admittingly, she didn't get far on Friday, few were, but she apparently was swiftly handled on Monday when NCL was ready for many rebooking calls.

As I recall, she got her Garden Villa rebooked in July, at no extra cost. But she had to give up all the on board credits she otherwise would have been entitled to.

This long thread and others last weekend about the Dawn was just us giving our various opinions on how NCL should or would handle the situation. We each have one. I still think she should pay more for the more expensive cruise in July.

Admittingly, she didn't get far on Friday, few were, but she apparently was swiftly handled on Monday when NCL was ready for many rebooking calls.

As I recall, she got her Garden Villa rebooked in July, at no extra cost. But she had to give up all the on board credits she otherwise would have been entitled to.

This long thread and others last weekend about the Dawn was just us giving our various opinions on how NCL should or would handle the situation. We each have one. I still think she should pay more for the more expensive cruise in July.

If someone wants to pay $25,000 to cruise for one week, you don't make them wait until Monday. Yes, I believe NCL did loose its senses before making this one right.

If someone wants to pay $25,000 to cruise for one week, you don't make them wait until Monday. Yes, I believe NCL did loose its senses before making this one right.

That's your opinion. Mine may be cold.

Two Dawn cruises were cancelled. With two Garden Villas potentially booked on each cruise,, that's four Garden Villa customers.

I would have placed the most expensive July cruise up for auction for all four potential Garden Villa bookees, just to see how much the fare price would rise. After all, the other three potential Garden Villa bookees paid the same $25,000 for their Garden Villa bookings. Shouldn't they get the same chance to book that July cruise?

I think what you fail to understand is that they July cruise might be a more "favorable" time to some people, it certainly wasn't for me. I would have preferred to cruise at a time when the kids were still in school but that didn't work out for me. So in my view this was a "compromise" between me and NCL.

Still a very happy family.

I think what you fail to understand is that they July cruise might be a more "favorable" time to some people, it certainly wasn't for me. I would have preferred to cruise at a time when the kids were still in school but that didn't work out for me. So in my view this was a "compromise" between me and NCL.

I'm happy you got an acceptable deal, which proves NCL isn't as greedy as I would be. I'm sorry your first cruise was cancelled, but I'm sure others sailing afterwards will be happier with a greater chance going to every port on time, including you.

Have a great cruise.

I'm happy you got an acceptable deal, which proves NCL isn't as greedy as I would be. I'm sorry your first cruise was cancelled, but I'm sure others sailing afterwards will be happier with a greater chance going to every port on time, including you.

Have a great cruise.

I agree with you 100%. I am very happy with the way things turned out and the way NCL worked with me.

Here's to lots of future happy cruisng!!

That's your opinion. Mine may be cold.

Two Dawn cruises were cancelled. With two Garden Villas potentially booked on each cruise,, that's four Garden Villa customers.

I would have placed the most expensive July cruise up for auction for all four potential Garden Villa bookees, just to see how much the fare price would rise. After all, the other three potential Garden Villa bookees paid the same $25,000 for their Garden Villa bookings. Shouldn't they get the same chance to book that July cruise?

I take it you are not a business owner. You cancel two cruises because of maintenance issues (and maintenance is NCL's responsibility) and then you want to take advantage of the people whose vacation plans you just ruined? And these are not just any customers, but rather the ones who are willing to pay the most. If NCL tried that with me, I would take my refund and book my cruise on another line - permanently.

You want to give good customer service to everyone, but for the people who are paying top dollar, you want to go above and beyond. What NCL should have done is called her (and the other GV passengers) and asked what they could do to make it right. You do not treat your best customers like everyone else and expect keep your best customers.

I saw someone do something similar to what you suggested once. The reason I only saw it once is because I never returned after that. Even on airplanes the first class customers are still treated with class. You do not treat the first class customers like the coach customers and expect to keep them. I would not pay what I am paying for a first class seat if I was going to get the same level of service that a coach class customer gets. Why should I pay more for the same level of service.

The first canceled GV passenger who wants the July cruise would get the GV cabin for no increase in price plus a free gift (free pass to an extra cost restaurant for one night for example). These are the people I want to make sure are happy. These are not the people I want spending the weekend looking for another cruise on another cruise line.

Glad it all worked out.

I agree regarding the kids/July issue.

You have a great attitude.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

I take it you are not a business owner. You cancel two cruises because of maintenance issues (and maintenance is NCL's responsibility) and then you want to take advantage of the people whose vacation plans you just ruined? And these are not just any customers, but rather the ones who are willing to pay the most. If NCL tried that with me, I would take my refund and book my cruise on another line - permanently.

You want to give good customer service to everyone, but for the people who are paying top dollar, you want to go above and beyond. What NCL should have done is called her (and the other GV passengers) and asked what they could do to make it right. You do not treat your best customers like everyone else and expect keep your best customers.

I saw someone do something similar to what you suggested once. The reason I only saw it once is because I never returned after that. Even on airplanes the first class customers are still treated with class. You do not treat the first class customers like the coach customers and expect to keep them. I would not pay what I am paying for a first class seat if I was going to get the same level of service that a coach class customer gets. Why should I pay more for the same level of service.

The first canceled GV passenger who wants the July cruise would get the GV cabin for no increase in price plus a free gift (free pass to an extra cost restaurant for one night for example). These are the people I want to make sure are happy. These are not the people I want spending the weekend looking for another cruise on another cruise line.

Kudos! You'd be a good business/cruise owner! :D

First off, I dont think it is fair to say the breakdown in NCL's fault. They, and a lot of other cruise lines, are victims of shoddy design/workmanship in the Azipods they purchased. There are multiple lawsuits from every buyer of these things v. every maker of them. Saying it is their fault is like blaming the people who bought Pinto's for the gas tank fires.

Whether every cancelled cruise or itenerary deviation has been handled properly by all the lines that have been victimized is open for debate. But the fact they are victims in the first instance is pretty much settled.

Furthermore, as a business owner, I make it a point to treat every customer the same way - my big three accounts, together are a fraction of my 125 small ones. Maybe they should have done better by all of them, but Garden Villa customers wont keep the line profitable - 1000 mid range stateroom customers will.

I'm not in business, so what do I know? ;)

Never-the-less, more than one of the displaced Garden Villas groups may have wanted that most expensive July cruise, so while you pleased one rich customer, you might lose the other three.

Let's supposed all four wanted that cruise. Another reason to wait until Monday to rebook cruises, just in case one wasn't informed about the cancellations until the weekend. That way all had a chance to make their wishes known.

It's a no win situation for NCL. Dang if you let them rebook quickly, dang if you make them wait until Monday.

Of couse, it's possible only one wanted to book that specific cruise. Hopefully, all of them got to rebook a cruise in a Garden Villa on the week they wanted.

But is it too much to ask that, especially for an extenuating circumstance (one of only four cabins on the ship at such a high price), to give executive management a couple days to get the whole picture and make a decision? The announcement of the cancellation was done on Friday morning, and Carol had her answer and solution on Monday morning....

But is it too much to ask that, especially for an extenuating circumstance (one of only four cabins on the ship at such a high price), to give executive management a couple days to get the whole picture and make a decision? The announcement of the cancellation was done on Friday morning, and Carol had her answer and solution on Monday morning....

This was not a sudden problem. The Dawn's problems had been known by management before the cruise was canceled. You don't keep customers who are paying top dollar waiting over the weekend so that management has time to "get the whole picture". Management, good management that is, will have the whole picture before the decision is made.

Furthermore, as a business owner, I make it a point to treat every customer the same way - my big three accounts, together are a fraction of my 125 small ones. Maybe they should have done better by all of them, but Garden Villa customers wont keep the line profitable - 1000 mid range stateroom customers will.

Here here, I can tell you from personal experience--- that they did NOT treat the mid-range stateroom customers well. We tend to be basic interior or oceanview people (for the 6 hours we spend in the room we don't care) but cruise as much as we can. Since we started NCL we had 3 cruises booked between May and Dec.

Yes they came through with some compensation---but it was one phonecall for the garden villa shoppers and 20 calls for me. (I detailed all of this in my post yesterday) I can guarantee that I even after this cruise I might think twice about NCL. (my TA for one has already swore off NCL for the future--- and she is taking a group of 400 in August) She is definitely disgusted with the way both she and I were treated by customer service.

Here here, I can tell you from personal experience--- that they did NOT treat the mid-range stateroom customers well. We tend to be basic interior or oceanview people (for the 6 hours we spend in the room we don't care) but cruise as much as we can. Since we started NCL we had 3 cruises booked between May and Dec.

Yes they came through with some compensation---but it was one phonecall for the garden villa shoppers and 20 calls for me. (I detailed all of this in my post yesterday) I can guarantee that I even after this cruise I might think twice about NCL. (my TA for one has already swore off NCL for the future--- and she is taking a group of 400 in August) She is definitely disgusted with the way both she and I were treated by customer service.

I'm glad to hear that Carol was able to snap her fingers and get her GV rebooked in one phone call.....was it really this easy, Carol?

It's amazing that some people feel that there should be a class distinction, while others disagree.....are we going to go back to the days of first class and steerage?

Hmmm...not sure what the problem was? My sister and her DH were booked on the Dawn that was cancelled. In a Romance Suite.

One call on Friday...when they received the cancellation message and one call on Monday to confirm what they had tentatively re-booked on Friday.

They booked directly with NCL...not a TA;)

I'm not in business, so what do I know? ;)

Never-the-less, more than one of the displaced Garden Villas groups may have wanted that most expensive July cruise, so while you pleased one rich customer, you might lose the other three.

Let's supposed all four wanted that cruise. Another reason to wait until Monday to rebook cruises, just in case one wasn't informed about the cancellations until the weekend. That way all had a chance to make their wishes known.

It's a no win situation for NCL. Dang if you let them rebook quickly, dang if you make them wait until Monday.

Of couse, it's possible only one wanted to book that specific cruise. Hopefully, all of them got to rebook a cruise in a Garden Villa on the week they wanted.

I am in a Royal Family Suite for a cruise in June. There are four on the ship and all four sold out within the first hour of the first day that the cabins became available. The cabins went to the first four who asked for them. Only four could get them, all others who wanted one were disappointed.

So lets say all four want the open July GV. No matter what only one can get it. Did Carol find out about the canceled cruise because NCL called her, or did she find out through a general announcement? It is whoever acts first that gets the cabin. It could be that some other person books the cabin over the weekend. Then all four of the canceled GV passengers are SOL.

The people in the GV cabins are like the big spenders ("whales") in Las Vegas. Everyone should get good service, but the whales get an extra special service.

As far as maintenance issues goes, it is NCL's ship and their responsibility. None of the passengers are going to care that NCL is having issues with their suppliers. That is between NCL and the supplier. That is not the passenger's problem. NCL will have to deal with the supplier. In the meantime NCL had better take care of its customers, or it will not have any to take care of.

If you get in a car accident because your brakes failed, you can blame the mechanic all you want. The person you hit/damaged/injured is going to be looking to you to make it right, not your mechanic.

Archived