Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

Ron,

People did book on Royal. If you read the last few pages of the 12/10 roll call, several posters went on the Explorer of the Seas, and one went on the Jewel of the Seas. Two posters who went on the Explorer were upgraded from outside and balcony cabins to Jr. Suites at no cost. Others went on the Millie after the drydock at what should be higher prices (Dec. vs. spring) for no extra charge.

Since Cruise Critic is represented by less than 5% of cruisers, who knows how many went on Royal.

The wording of same value refers to the category of ship. I doubt you will find 2 cruises of the same exact price.

As far as the cost of buying airfare to the Alaskan cruises, that would still be a great deal. Alaska in the summer is easily twice the cost of the Caribbean in December. Airfare from here is as low as $188r/t.

In a competitive environment, how can a cruiseline survive if it does not give their customer the same consideration as the competition?

As far as your t-shirt analogy, the garden villa also has a substantially larger profit. To keep loyalty, some good will is necessary.

I wonder how you would feel if you were in her shoes.

Companies that put the customer before the bottom line are becoming more and more rare each day. It is nice to see that Princess and Celebrity are like that. (maybe one of their people could come over and teach Colin and Andy....)

Princess' 35% credit isn't going to make up for a 50% increase in fare prices. Celebrity's "equal value" free cruise limited to cruises three weeks later isn't going to make it better for passengers wishing to sail within a few weeks of the cancelled cruise. The free cruise available the week of the cancelled cruise isn't free because it sails from San Diego, all the way across the country from Fort Lauderdale.

But it would have made up the difference with a 50% increase of fares.

The problem with waiting to announce the dry dock until they got their ducks in a row, is that the fares would have still risen this past weekend anyways.

Are you thinking the fare increase this weekend on the June 2 Spirit was just a coincidence? I was under the impression it was due to an increase in demand for that sailing. Like I stated above, I have been keeping an eye on the prices and this has been the biggest price jump since I booked. Meanwhile, the people who did what they were told and waited until Monday are waking up today to higher fares and fewer available cabins.

My point was that a good company anticipates problems (especially ones they see coming) and trains their employees to deal with them BEFORE they arise, not two days after!!!!! NCL should have started the damage control on this even before they decided which dates to cancel.

Hopefully the powers to be worked triple overtime this weekend working out all thr kinks and as the day progresses we will begin to hear lots of success stories! It is not too late for NCL to make things right for these people!

Are you thinking the fare increase this weekend on the June 2 Spirit was just a coincidence? I was under the impression it was due to an increase in demand for that sailing. Like I stated above, I have been keeping an eye on the prices and this has been the biggest price jump since I booked. Meanwhile, the people who did what they were told and waited until Monday are waking up today to higher fares and fewer available cabins.

My point was that a good company anticipates problems (especially ones they see coming) and trains their employees to deal with them BEFORE they arise, not two days after!!!!! NCL should have started the damage control on this even before they decided which dates to cancel.

Hopefully the powers to be worked triple overtime this weekend working out all thr kinks and as the day progresses we will begin to hear lots of success stories! It is not too late for NCL to make things right for these people!

It's not just the June 2...most sailings around this time have gone up. I was lucky in that my TA was able to put an extended hold on a cabin for the 5/19 Spirit sailing. I'm on the phone confirming it now, and she told me the price for this cabin is up almost $400 since she put the hold Friday night, and there's almost nothing left.

Would it really have been too much to ask for NCL to allow holds (at the very least, lock the pricing) through the weekend for those who were bumped from the Dawn??? My TA was able to do this for me, and I know some people had success with holds Friday, but several calls to NCL proved unsuccessful for me in this regard, in addition to a complete lack of knowledge of the situation (they couldn't tell me how the 25% would work or anything).

As far as the powers that be working triple overtime, I highly doubt it. At one point on Friday, when I asked why they would bump me but then not allow me to reschedule or even get a hold on a cabin, I was given another phone number and told that the department I needed to contact was closed until Monday (this was mid-afternoon on Friday).

BTW, according to my travel agent, NCL is having "computer problems" this morning. She has to call me back, as they can't finalize the booking yet :confused::mad::confused:

Unfortunately, you won't find sympathy from people on this board for anything having to do with going to graduate school. I finished my master's degree a few years ago and anytime I mention it (because it has to do with the topic) members here criticize me for having the degree. They're downright nasty. :rolleyes: It's stupid really that other people feel the need to make fun of you because you did something to better your life. Maybe they're jealous? Anyway...I understand the pressures of juggling school, work and a personal life. I was planning my wedding during the last 6 months of graduate school then working and planning the wedding. It's tough. I know what it feels like to need a vacation. If Carnival came through for you, then they deserve your money more than NCL.

Really? That is interesting...and sad! I have mentioned my graduate studies numerous times on the Carnival's boards as they pertain to topics/threads, and i've never read a bitter remark about them.

I understand your dilemma as well Sabrett; I'm working on my second masters degree right now, so I've been in school nonstop for the past 21 years! (I'm 26 right now; I went to college straight after high school, completed a bachelors, then a masters, got a job, and while working after my first masters started pecking away half time with my second masters). When you're going full speed ahead with your career and studies, free time can become a ghost of your past!

I just want you to enjoy your cruise on Carnival; you will have a wonderful time, as I did, and in a few years, when you're finished with your masters and you have a rockin' job, you can spoil yourself with a luxury cruise! Hang in there!

Really? That is interesting...and sad! I have mentioned my graduate studies numerous times on the Carnival's boards as they pertain to topics/threads, and i've never read a bitter remark about them.
It is sad. Whenever the topic has been about marketing or advertising (the cruise lines marketing of the recent ads on CC) I comment because my undergraduate degree and my master's degree are both in Advertising. Some of the members here then make fun of it. I guess it's intimidating to other people when you outshine them. :D For me it's been the best thing I ever did. Good luck to you on finishing your schooling. What career calls for so much education?

If you bought the last model of a 40 inch television from Best Buy and returned it a month later unopened in a box for a newer more expensive model 40-inch television with new features, Best Buy and every other retailer I know would refund your money for the first television and charge you full price for the second.

Cruise lines and the entire travel industry use dynamic pricing. Supply and demand. Nice NCL is providing a 25% credit for the next cruise, and refunding 100% of the cruise being cancelled. Don't expect much more.

If you bought the last model of a 40 inch television from Best Buy and returned it a month later unopened in a box for a newer more expensive model 40-inch television with new features, Best Buy and every other retailer I know would refund your money for the first television and charge you full price for the second.

Cruise lines and the entire travel industry use dynamic pricing. Supply and demand. Nice NCL is providing a 25% credit for the next cruise, and refunding 100% of the cruise being cancelled. Don't expect much more.

Don I'm not sure how many times you have to post some analogy that is not analogous to the current situation. I will correct you again, using your same analogy.

If you bought the last model of a 40 inch television from Best Buy and returned it a month later, because there was a mechanical problem and the manufacturer recalled the model (i.e cancelled the cruise) unopened in a box for a exactly similar 40 inch TV, yet Best Buy now wanted you to pay 25% more, would you call that fair.

Yes, as long as I received a full refund for the first television. When did the money back guarantee become obsolete?

Plus Nice NCL is offering a 25% credit on the next cruise, along with a full refund. Its not the same cruise, is it?

Find me a cruise, leaving from NY, with the same itinerary, that does not cost 1 cent more than the original booking, and then I will say that NCL was fair to their passengers.

I agree offering a 25% off discount is a nice idea, but if you raise prices by 50%, is the customer really benefiting?

Are we supposed to be kissing the feet of NCL b/c they canclled a family's vacation, but offered them 25% of a new cruise, which by the way costs 50% more?

I certainly don't wish this upon you or your vacation plans, but I know you would be feeling very differently about this situation if it was your money and your vacation that had to be rescheduled and suddenly cost thousands of dollars more.

Your analogy is completely not even relevant to the situation, and I'm definitely not going to take the time telling you why, if you can't see it yourself.

Your analogy is completely not even relevant to the situation, and I'm definitely not going to take the time telling you why, if you can't see it yourself.

Also he is comparing two completely different goods, one is relatively elastic the other inelastic. Cruising is still considered a luxury item and a lot of other factors come into play.

Seems like a couple of people just don't get it till it happens to them, then lets see them call NCL.... NICE:confused: Quick story. I once sailed on Royal Carribean when they owned a couple of ships from an old company. I didn't pay much and it was my 2nd cruise. The cabin was dirty,as well as the ship, I complained to RCCL and they gave me 4-25% discounts to be used on any sailing for 3 yrs. The rep even told me not to waste my 2 childrens credits on the 3rd and 4th passenger. So We took 1 cruise and my wife and I were the 1st and 2nd passenger at 25% off. Then we took a 2nd cruise and my 2 daughters were listed as 1st and 2nd passenger at 25% off. Since then we have been on RCCL appox 25 times. We are lifetime loyal cruisers with RCCL. Good business sense always pays back 100 fold.;)

Yes, in your scenario, you are correct, because you made the choice to request the change. It's only logical to refund your money in full or give you credit for the exact amount you paid for it toward another purchase.

But I'll add a slightly different twist here using your analogy. Let's say you originally bought the 40-inch television on sale for $500. It was defective within a month, but the price for that same television is now $900 (more than 125% of what you paid) at regular price. You want to exchange your television (for the same model), but Best Buy wants to charge you the extra $400 because that's the current price. Does that sound fair?

I know you can argue that if you book a different cruise, it's not the same as what you originally wanted. Fair enough - if any of the displaced Dawn cruisers now wanted a 10-day or 14-day cruise at the same price, that would be an unreasonable demand.

But essentially, I think some are in fact asking for the same cruise at a slightly later sail date without having to pay more than they originally did because of something that they did not have control over. To continue using your analogy, let's say the 40-inch television was now updated and only available with a different color and a nicer remote but still at a higher price than the original. Having worked at Best Buy, a manager can actually authorize an exchange for the latest equivalent model at no additional cost to the customer. In this case, the manager is NCL... and whether or not the manager will allow the exchange seemingly will determine whether some of these customers will shop at Best Buy or Circuit City for their next TV.

Good luck to all and it sounds like a few have already reached a satisfactory solution with NCL.

Seems like a couple of people just don't get it till it happens to them, then lets see them call NCL.... NICE Good business sense always pays back 100 fold.;)
I don't get why people think no one else has ever had a travel problem. :confused: These cruises being canceled aren't the only time someone has had something go wrong. Problems come up all the time for everyone. So we've all walked in those shoes. But don't get me wrong...I think NCL should let everyone rebook at the price they had originally. I don't think they needed to do anything else. No future cruise credit. Just give passengers another time to go at the same price. But I disagree with your assertion that this good business sense will pay them back 100 fold. NCL could have made this perfect for everyone involved but if there's another problem down the road with some other cruise, all the previous goodwill will be forgotten and NCL will once again be the bad guy. Good customer service is defined by how happy you are with the outcome. If you don't get what you want, it's bad customer service in your eyes and you'll remember that in the future. A company's customer service rating with a consumer can change at any time no matter how good it was in the past.

NCL could have made this perfect for everyone involved but if there's another problem down the road with some other cruise, all the previous goodwill will be forgotten and NCL will once again be the bad guy.

I guess the solution would be to handle ALL problems with 100% customer satisfaction. I think that's a pretty good concept to strive for.

I don't get why people think no one else has ever had a travel problem. :confused: A company's customer service rating with a consumer can change at any time no matter how good it was in the past.

Amen to that:( I am in the middle 99% of the time when there is a problem with travel and I could do everything right 99%.......but when that 1% happens it erases everything prior:(

I guess the solution would be to handle ALL problems with 100% customer satisfaction. I think that's a pretty good concept to strive for.

And most companies would be bankrupt ;)

I am sure that there are many bumped from these cruises that nothing short of a free cruise would equate to 100% satisfaction. Don't forget to pay all there out of pocket expenses for travel and hotel booked independently.

The fact is there is no one solution in this case that will satisfy everyone. All NCL had to do was refund the money for a product that can not be delivered. The product a 7 day cruise on specific weeks. They offered a 25% credit as a jesture of good will and are getting bashed by many. Had they only offered to rebook passengers at the same price and keep the money the flames would have melted the boards. The current offer gives everyone flexibility. Take the money book another line. Cruise later on NCL at a deep discount.

As posted there is flexibility in any offer. A little work and a reasonable approach and you can combine the credit and the refund and get on a more expensive week.

Will they ever get to 100% customer satisfaction - never. I don't know any company that has reached that lofty goal.

As I posted earlier I believe allowing folks to rebook if the can in the same category at the same price as alternate to a refund and credit is clearly something NCL should do.

What everyone is forgetting here is that NCL has insurance to cover losses it incurs in these cancellations.

Really??? In that case I think they should give all of these people a free cruise on top of the 125%!!:rolleyes:

What everyone is forgetting here is that NCL has insurance to cover losses it incurs in these cancellations.

Most of the time this insurance has a high deductible. The insurance companies don't like to pay either. and don't be so sure this is covered by insurance. Its not an accident or the like but it is caused by normal wear and tear and if its the Azipod companies problem they would disclaim consequential damages.

Seems like a couple of people just don't get it till it happens to them, then lets see them call NCL.... NICE:confused: Quick story. I once sailed on Royal Carribean when they owned a couple of ships from an old company. I didn't pay much and it was my 2nd cruise. The cabin was dirty,as well as the ship, I complained to RCCL and they gave me 4-25% discounts to be used on any sailing for 3 yrs. The rep even told me not to waste my 2 childrens credits on the 3rd and 4th passenger. So We took 1 cruise and my wife and I were the 1st and 2nd passenger at 25% off. Then we took a 2nd cruise and my 2 daughters were listed as 1st and 2nd passenger at 25% off. Since then we have been on RCCL appox 25 times. We are lifetime loyal cruisers with RCCL. Good business sense always pays back 100 fold.;)

Cruising is just a chance you take, anything can happen anytime. Now Ralph had great service from Royal Caribbean, he received a discount for a dirty stateroom. I was on the cruise that due to hurricane was sent to Canada. We were not given anything, 6 months later they sent us a future cruise discount after the class action lawsuit was started. The ONLY problem I had with the way we were treated is that Canada costs alot less than Bermuda. I know this since I took the Canada cruise the year before. Now I wish I would have complained my room was dirty.:D

After this cruise I spoke to many customer service reps at RCCL and was told the same thing over and over "read your cruise documents" I did and it stated they will take you someplace comparable. Bermuda and Canada, comparable?? not quite.

Yes I was angry,will I cruise RCCL again? probably. If you stop cruising certain lines because of customer service their will not be any left to choose from. I have to say though even with the RCCL 35% discount I am booked on NCL.

Archived