Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

carol dont step down i feel thats only fair after you spent the time to plan you vacation and your vacation time you had to book from your

employer i think thats only fair the cruise line should offer you a replacement cruise stand up for your self because no one else will

I also was cancelled for May 26th Dawn. I was able to rebook June 9th same cat however, I also have 6 adults involved in this cruise with 3 cabins(1-I/S 1-Balcony 1-Mini Suite) we all had to change our plans at work and rearrange our life for this. The mini suite was getting a $930 credit yet now that I'm booking June 9th so late I'm also paying a higher price for the cabin. So 25% dosen't look so good after all. Plus since I booked back in Janurary when they were running their "Sale of Sails" I also lost my $100 cabin credit. I didn't cancel, NCL DID! I too feel they should have given me an equal value cabin since it was available at no extra charge and then given me my $930 credit,and my $100 on board credit. I had a cancelation on Celebrity out of NY to Bermuda and they got me on the Zenith in Ft Lauderdale and paid for my Airfare at no cost to me. When I called to complain they put me on hold for 20 minutes and then told me a supervisor wasn't available and probably couldn't do anything for me anyway, call back on Monday.I've been on appox 25 cruises and this is my 2nd and last on NCL!!:mad:

I think these are the things those who say that Carol and the rest of us are "complaining" don't get...Most people have to put in for vacation time, make arrangements for house / pet / babysitters, etc. I can't speak for others, but my wife and I booked the 5/26 cruise because it was one of the ONLY 2 weeks that we were both able to get off. She's got trips and events starting the second week of June, running on and off through December. The few bits of downtime she has are during the "busy season" in my profession. We're both still "working our way up" and as such, don't vacation often...in fact, the last trip of any kind we took was a long weekend 2.5 years ago. This may come as a shock to some, but there are people who don't decide on a specific cruise at a specific time based on itinerary, or ship, or liking the cruise director. We book based on necessity, because we're lucky if we get one "vacation" in a given year, can't "just hold off until later in the summer" or "start looking for next year." Looking for next year, at this point, means another year without a break. we were ~8 weeks away from sailing, making it difficult to research, find and book an alternate vacation.

There's more to this than just the "dollars and cents" aspect. Perhaps there would be less "Complaining" if NCL representatives appeared to show any type of remorse or compassion at all. The source of my frustration (and judging by some other posts, the frustration of a number of us) is that the NCL people have been completely useless...not quite obnoxious, but those I've spoken with have shown very little interest in being helpful in any way. I was told multiple times that I'd have to "wait till Monday" to do anything, despite pointing out to them that by Monday, the few options I have will likely be long gone. One rep I spoke to actually had the audacity to tell me that all I could do was "hope there's something left come Monday" when I asked about my options for the 5/19 sailing on the Spirit. It almost seems as though they're going out of their way NOT to be of assistance. The simple fact that they can't explain how things will work with this 25% (in the 3 calls I made, I got 2 different answers and an "I don't know") says to me that this whole thing was ass backward. Considering how much time I spent researching and planning for the Dawn, it's upsetting to me how uncoordinated NCL seems to be on the cancellation.

Just my $0.02

Wow, I can't believe the Garden Villa is so much money. We paid $729 pp for the Dawn that was cancelled. We rebooked yesterday with Carnival on 5/27 and after taxes and port charges, there was a total of $263 difference for my boyfriend and I (not pp.). Plus, we're getting an extra day out of it, so I feel like we made out pretty good.

Siince the Garden Villas are so few and very expensive, has Carol investigated whether she could find two smaller less expensive suites and sail with a bit less dignity? She will receive the same quality of butler and conceirge service. And she will have more dates to choose from.

I think she choose the GV because the whole family could be together for the cruise, not spread out among different cabins.

we are from Australia, so to plan for a cruise in the US is not a small deal, we have to book our airfares at least 4 mths ahead to get a seat, and we always book at least 10 mths ahead for a cruise, I have a business, so have to get back up staff etc, ...it would not be easy on us for a cruiseline to just say,

"oh, well...come back and cruise with us another day"

I think these are the things those who say that Carol and the rest of us are "complaining" don't get...Most people have to put in for vacation time, make arrangements for house / pet / babysitters, etc. I can't speak for others, but my wife and I booked the 5/26 cruise because it was one of the ONLY 2 weeks that we were both able to get off. She's got trips and events starting the second week of June, running on and off through December. The few bits of downtime she has are during the "busy season" in my profession. We're both still "working our way up" and as such, don't vacation often...in fact, the last trip of any kind we took was a long weekend 2.5 years ago. This may come as a shock to some, but there are people who don't decide on a specific cruise at a specific time based on itinerary, or ship, or liking the cruise director. We book based on necessity, because we're lucky if we get one "vacation" in a given year, can't "just hold off until later in the summer" or "start looking for next year." Looking for next year, at this point, means another year without a break. we were ~8 weeks away from sailing, making it difficult to research, find and book an alternate vacation.

There's more to this than just the "dollars and cents" aspect. Perhaps there would be less "Complaining" if NCL representatives appeared to show any type of remorse or compassion at all. The source of my frustration (and judging by some other posts, the frustration of a number of us) is that the NCL people have been completely useless...not quite obnoxious, but those I've spoken with have shown very little interest in being helpful in any way. I was told multiple times that I'd have to "wait till Monday" to do anything, despite pointing out to them that by Monday, the few options I have will likely be long gone. One rep I spoke to actually had the audacity to tell me that all I could do was "hope there's something left come Monday" when I asked about my options for the 5/19 sailing on the Spirit. It almost seems as though they're going out of their way NOT to be of assistance. The simple fact that they can't explain how things will work with this 25% (in the 3 calls I made, I got 2 different answers and an "I don't know") says to me that this whole thing was ass backward. Considering how much time I spent researching and planning for the Dawn, it's upsetting to me how uncoordinated NCL seems to be on the cancellation.

Just my $0.02

We are cruising in April on the Spirit, this is our 3rd cruise with NCL. I have been on 5 total and my DH has been on 15+ (his parents are cruisers). This has upset me (and I am not even affected). We are 37 with a lot of cruising years ahead of us, with a fair amount of disposable income. I will definately think twice before booking with NCL again after this mess.

Just my 2 cents.

MJ

one more time, ncl should be responsible for replacing what carol54 paid for. THE SAME PRICE, THE SAME ROOM, THE SAME DATE, THE SAME DATE AND THE SAME DATE.why should they lose revenue due to an unplanned event.all those on their horses its time to get down, you booked low price may and want high price july, please tell me why you are entitled to that and if so then why should`nt a inside lower level cabin get the same treatment. i may have missed it but are any posters filing a suit yet? and how now does it take 3-4 days to move a few people around airflights. get real and take the offer and stop the whining, please.

Just my $0.02

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm graduating from college and looking for a full-time job, which I hope to start right away. I'm starting graduate school in September, and I just don't have any time. My boyfriend just got a full-time job on Park Avenue in Manhattan and is on probation for the first 60 days. He gave them the dates for the week in May that we would need off, and the building has already made arrangements to cover those days. Thus, it was not even an option to just pick another week. The 5/19 sailing of the Spirit was not an option either because I graduate on May 21st, and I am not missing that for sure. Not everyone has every week free and can't be picky about when they cruise. However, NCL does not care, which is why I tried to get help from them on the phone, and got nowhere. One rep hadn't even heard about the cancellation and argued with me that my sailing was NOT cancelled when I knew for a fact that it was.

If NCL needed to cancel, fine, but be a little (or a lot) more helpful to the poor people that are trying to rebook. Between getting a crap selection of dates (at least for me) and the prices going up the closer you get to the summer, I'm glad I gave my money to Carnival instead of NCL.

I'm not even going to try booking with NCL in the future, and it's not because of a cancelled cruise, but it's because THEY cancelled MY cruise and did absolutely nothing to try and help me (and others).

one more time, ncl should be responsible for replacing what carol54 paid for. THE SAME PRICE, THE SAME ROOM, THE SAME DATE, THE SAME DATE AND THE SAME DATE.why should they lose revenue due to an unplanned event.all those on their horses its time to get down, you booked low price may and want high price july, please tell me why you are entitled to that and if so then why should`nt a inside lower level cabin get the same treatment. i may have missed it but are any posters filing a suit yet? and how now does it take 3-4 days to move a few people around airflights. get real and take the offer and stop the whining, please.

For most people, time and money make a big difference. I know it does for me. I don't have time to reschedule when it's convenient for NCL, and pay a couple of extra hundred. It doesn't sound like much to most people but I'm paying for this cruise myself, from a part-time job. It took me a long time to save, and money makes a big difference to me. It's not as simple as you make it sound.

And not to sound rude, but if you don't want to hear (or read) all the whining, then don't read this thread... :rolleyes:

None of this surprises me. If you remember almost 4 years ago when NCL canceled Norway cruises because of its boiler accident, those passengers had to rebook and their rates were not protected on other NCL ships in similar categories. It was as wrong and selfish on NCL's part then as it is now. I am also not surprised that NCL is going to fix the Dawn before Rosie gets on in July as she would bad mouth them to no end in the media.

I guess you just don't get it!!!

1) We booked these vacations well in advance so we could plan out our life and also get a good price as well as on board credits.

2) Seems like NCL knew they were having problems with this ship for a while. Why did they wait for everyone to pay their balance in full and then announce the cancelation?

3) NCL has been holding 2000 (Give or take a few) deposits at $500 each for months. Thats a lot of money they can play with or invest somewhere else. And the reason we give them our money in advance is so we can save a bit in the end.

The least they could do is assist us in getting on another cruise without trying to make more money on us.

By the way the reps in NCL advised me to look at a group of cruises so I can get additional "Benifits". Oh by the way the GREAT BENEFIT was a big $25 PP max 2 per cabin, on board credit on cruises they want to gey rid of anyway like Sept or Oct cruises in the carribean, (Hurricane season). I hope the $25 dosen't break their bank.

Come on NCL, step up to plate and do the right thing.

I agree with you 100%. Why should NCL or any line give preferance to those who book the higher priced cabins. The person booking an inside cabin today may want the Owners suite next year or if they always book inside, that is ok as well.

And I never suggested anything of the sort.

Carol,

I say give it up. You did not buy a car. You bought an "experience". Unless you can take the Villa home with you, that analogy may work:rolleyes:

Don`t try to explain yourself anymore, no one can walk in your shoes.

I hope everything works out for you:)

Thank you Ann. I really appreciate your good wishes. And I am accepting it but it still does sting a bit.

Thank you again.

Not that I'm expecting this, but what would be "fair" on NCL's part would be for them to allow us to book at rates that were in effect on the date(s) we booked the Dawn. Wouldn't make much difference to me, as I just booked a few weeks ago, but I suspect it would be a lot of $$ for those who booked a long time ago.

Rates now are higher than they were a year ago...we all get that. The only thing we're questioning is why WE should be penalized (by having to pay higher prices due to "crunch time") when the need to re-book is due to NCL and THEIR decision to cancel the cruise, especially when prices are >25% higher than if people had booked these alternate sailings when they chose the Dawn...

I'm sure they can see what the pricing was on the days we booked.

Unfortunately, drydocks are not available at whim. Hundreds if not thousands of workers are dependent upon the shipyards to provide steady work. Not work one week and a wait for month for another week of work. They are booked in advance for months. It takes months of work preplanning a drydock. Fortuanely, the shipyard had an availability these two weeks after Memorial Day.

How anyone can imply that NCL booked the shipyard during the two cheapest cruises in May? Even if it appears otherwise. I have seen in the past all of the cruise lines book drydocks during their most expensive cruises. Cruise lines book drydocks when there is an availabiility.

If the earliest booking in July is among the most expensive fares, why not attempt to book in August when the fares aren't so expensive?

There are ALWAYS drydocks available...Regal Princess ran aground last month in Mexico and was in Drydock 2 days later...sounds to me like NCL just wanted to drydock at this particular time...there are dozens of empty drydocks all over this country and the world for that matter at any given time..

There are ALWAYS drydocks available...Regal Princess ran aground last month in Mexico and was in Drydock 2 days later...sounds to me like NCL just wanted to drydock at this particular time...there are dozens of empty drydocks all over this country and the world for that matter at any given time..
I don't think you should state something as fact unless you know this for a fact. Then again, you may be right but what if you need a part that you can't get for several weeks? All the available drydocks in the world won't help you if the parts aren't available or if you can't get the ship to the part of the world where the drydock is.

Truth is there would never be a good time to cancel these cruises. If it was a different week, then those on that sailing would be saying the same thing as those that are canceled now. I think it's a lose lose situation all the way around. NCL won't be able to make everyone happy no matter what they do. That's not the fault of the canceled passengers. It's just how it is when something you've planned for so long suddenly gets pulled out from under you. I hope everyone can salvage a vacation.

If NCL needed to cancel, fine, but be a little (or a lot) more helpful to the poor people that are trying to rebook. Between getting a crap selection of dates (at least for me) and the prices going up the closer you get to the summer, I'm glad I gave my money to Carnival instead of NCL.

A "crap selection" of dates was EVERY other voyage that wasn't already at capacity. Just because YOU have an inflexible schedule does not mean that the selection you had to choose from was of poor quality....it simply means that you are locked into a certain timeframe.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with Carnival, but I fear you'll eventually run out of cruise lines to sail on if you are going to refuse to sail on lines that need to cancel cruises for one reason or another, and refuse to compensate impacted passengers the way you see fit.

To make matters even worse, a poster in other thread said that NCL wouldn't let them use the 25% on the 5/19 sailing. Why????

Probably because the coupon wasn't linked to the passenger's profile yet. If they'd wait until Monday, they'll probably be able to use it just fine.

Just my $0.02

An announcement was made Friday....it is too much to ask to give the company two days to process the coupons and put them onto the profiles of the clients? I'm sure you can understand the frustration the reps have when they are being contacted by people understandably upset that their vacation is cancelled, have to tell them "I can't complete your request until monday, because the company hasn't had time to process everything we need," then deal with the backlash of the upset customers.

I guess you just don't get it!!!

1) We booked these vacations well in advance so we could plan out our life and also get a good price as well as on board credits.

2) Seems like NCL knew they were having problems with this ship for a while. Why did they wait for everyone to pay their balance in full and then announce the cancelation?

3) NCL has been holding 2000 (Give or take a few) deposits at $500 each for months. Thats a lot of money they can play with or invest somewhere else. And the reason we give them our money in advance is so we can save a bit in the end. The least they could do is assist us in getting on another cruise without trying to make more money on us.

4) By the way the reps in NCL advised me to look at a group of cruises so I can get additional "Benifits". Oh by the way the GREAT BENEFIT was a big $25 PP max 2 per cabin, on board credit on cruises they want to gey rid of anyway like Sept or Oct cruises in the carribean, (Hurricane season). I hope the $25 dosen't break their bank.

Come on NCL, step up to plate and do the right thing.

They are already doing the right thing. They giving you all your cash back, and adding 25% of that as credit on your next NCL cruise taken within a year. You're getting back $5 for every $4 spent.

As for (1) above, I don' t disagree. You can book next year's cruise now cheaply and get a 25% credit, which should help siginificantly with inflation and upward creeping fares. As for (2) above, the Dawn has been ill for less than a month. The earliest report that the Dawn was slowed with the latest azipod problems was on March 9, from a NCL e-mail. That was three weeks ago, not even a full month, and after the two cancelled cruises final payment date.

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,

NCL has important information for you regarding Norwegian Dawn’s March 11, 2007 sailing from New York. Travel professionals are kindly asked to forward this important information to their clients as soon as possible.

We would like to advise you at this time of an itinerary modification due to reduced speed capabilities resulting from some unexpected necessary engine repair work. In order to maximize time in port, and provide for the best possible itinerary given the speed limitations, we plan to revise the itinerary as noted below, scheduling a call to Key West, Florida and omitting the calls to Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas. Please be assured that the engine issues reducing our speed capabilities in no way impact the safe operation of the vessel.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and in recognition of this change would like to extend a $50 per person, ($100 maximum per stateroom) on-board credit, to be used on any expenditure on the ship, except service charges and casino. In light of these changes, should you prefer to reschedule your cruise, we will also extend a future cruise credit for the cruise fare paid, valid on any of our ships from now until March 11, 2008.

Should you have any questions about this change, please call us at (800) 327-7030. As always, a NCL representative is available to assist you. We apologize for the changes to our schedule and look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Dawn.

As for (3) the earlier you book a cruise to get the cabin of your choice, and to get cheaper fares, the oods are more likely the ship can suffer mechanical problems. It's your choice to book early, and down payments are common with all forms of transportation. Fares can be lower or fares can be higher with late bookings depending on how well the ship is selling. If you want to book a healthy ship, your odds are higher if you wait to just before the cruise to book. NCL has offered an additional $25 credit generously, and as an aid to help steer you to cruises with plenty of open cabins, ie, those with cheaper fares.

It took NCL approximately three weeks to book a drydock within 2 months. They aren't delaying to fix the azipods, 2 to 3 months is a fast response. I'm sorry it takes a dry dock to fix the problem. But it's either cancelling 2 cruises, or limping along until fall, and having passengers on 26 cruises complaining about itnerary changes.

A "crap selection" of dates was EVERY other voyage that wasn't already at capacity. Just because YOU have an inflexible schedule does not mean that the selection you had to choose from was of poor quality....it simply means that you are locked into a certain timeframe.

Duh...yeah...that's why he booked his "original" cruise...it fit into his inflexible (original) schedule!

Walk in his/her shoes;)

The difference between Regal Princess and the Norwegian Dawn is that the Regal Princess had damaged ballast tanks,, which requires steel plates and welding to repair, while the Dawn requires new thrust bearings for its high voltage motors in it's azipods. Thrust bearings for the Dawn isn't available at every shipyard at a moments notice, whereas steel plates and welding equipment are.

To start off you can't compare a cruise line with an airline from this respect.

An airline can in some cases replace an airplane with a mechanic problem with another airplane in some cases.

The cruise line doesn't have a spare ship standing around to replace a ship with a problem. As has been stated, dry dock has to be scheduled.

I believe NCL is being fair. Time and time again whenever someone is inconvenienced by a cruise line people think they need to be compensated and then if they are, it's not enough.

Bottom line, speaking as an American, we people have become sue happy and greedy.

Just my two cents.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with Carnival, but I fear you'll eventually run out of cruise lines to sail on if you are going to refuse to sail on lines that need to cancel cruises for one reason or another, and refuse to compensate impacted passengers the way you see fit.

Wow, some people just don't know how to read. I specifically stated that they were crappy dates, and then I wrote.."at least for me". I never said their selection was of poor quality, so don't put words in my mouth. They just weren't dates I couldn't use for rebooking.

And again, due to your inability to read and your quickness to jump to conclusions, your second statement is wrong as well. I NEVER said I would not sail on NCL because of the cancelled cruise. I totally understand that they had to drydock. I didn't think their 25% was all that great, but that wasn't the reason I went to Carnival. I needed dates similar to what I had, and I found that at Carnival. I was also displeased with NCL's level of customer service and the way they treated me on the phone. It has nothing to do with me being unhappy with a cancelled cruise or what they're doing to compensate it.

Before you post something in my direction (or anyone's for that matter), make sure you READ and understand what I said.

Archived