Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

i think the compensation would be fair if a person could rebook the same class of room(except for Holiday weeks or New Years) for the same price for the same length of cruise. Then the 25% should be a ship board credit...IMO....

Good idea Sid! I could see that as fair.

Thank you. But for thr thousandth time, I am not staying away from NCL because they cancelled my cruise. I am staying away because I called them, and I was not bugging them about my refund, or trying to book another cruise, I was just trying to find out about rates and how soon I could rebook. The rep was actually ARGUING with me telling me that I must've misunderstood something because my sailing was not cancelled. When we finally established that it was, he did not even want to help me figure out what to do. I explained to him that I don't cruise often, and I've never had a cruise cancelled on me, so I really don't know what to do, and he said, "Well, you'll have to figure something out." Therefore, I don't know how to make it anymore clear that it is NCL's lack of caring and the way they treated me that will make me stay clear of them in the future. It has nothing to do with them cancelling my cruise.

Sometimes the CSR haven't a clue. I was on a Delta flight from LGA to Atlanta. On takeoff we struck a bird and made an emergency landing at Kennedy(the shortest flight I ever took after dumping fuel). This was not their fault. When we were getting off the plane we were told that Delta was sending another plane but we should reschedule as their are ther flights and we needed to connect as I was going to New Orleans. When we got to the ticketing agent he said the next flight to Atlanta was at 5? I asked about the extra flight at 3 that Delta told us they were putting on? He yelled at me saying in essence what do you want to do come back here and do my job(yes but thats another story)- no one had communicated to him about the other flight needless to say he wound up putting us on the 3 o'clock flight. He came out and apologized and gave me about 30 free drink couplons(which I split with my flying companions)...

BTW the flight gave us free drinks anyway and on the way back from New Orleans we had the same crew and I asked if the drinks were still free for us(they were)....:)

i think the compensation would be fair if a person could rebook the same class of room(except for Holiday weeks or New Years) for the same price for the same length of cruise. Then the 25% should be a ship board credit...IMO....

I posted a similiar position on one of the other dozen threads on this issue ;)

I took a little different twist - rebook no charge or refund and credit.

A resonable answer in my view - NCL should offer to immediately rebook in the same category on any Dawn or Spirit cruise in the next 90 days at the same price or they can select to get their money back and 25% off a future cruise. Those that have flexibility get what they paid for those that can't cruise in the window get something for their trouble.

Be one hell of a cruise for the folks in the GV with a $5000 (25%) onboard credit. That is a lot of booze (on top of the free booze) and shore excursions. Maybe a nice piece of jewelry.

The rep was actually ARGUING with me telling me that I must've misunderstood something because my sailing was not cancelled. When we finally established that it was, he did not even want to help me figure out what to do. I explained to him that I don't cruise often, and I've never had a cruise cancelled on me, so I really don't know what to do, and he said, "Well, you'll have to figure something out." Therefore, I don't know how to make it anymore clear that it is NCL's lack of caring and the way they treated me that will make me stay clear of them in the future. It has nothing to do with them cancelling my cruise.

So it was a SINGLE individual who has spoiled your impression of NCL, and will dictate to you that you refuse to consider NCL in the future.

So it was a SINGLE individual who has spoiled your impression of NCL, and will dictate to you that you refuse to consider NCL in the future.

That single individual is a front line employee for NCL. To the people calling in, those people are NCL. And if that person is the first person NCL customers encounter at NCL then a VERY bad first impression has been made.

I remember training in a supermarket 30 something years ago, learning that the customer may walk in and make many purchase decisions, but the person she interacts directly with during her visit will most truly represent the company in her eyes.

Still holds true.

Many people just need ONE reason not to come back when there are many options out there.

They need MANY reasons to go somewhere new.

Don't make it easy for them.

Be one hell of a cruise for the folks in the GV with a $5000 (25%) onboard credit. That is a lot of booze (on top of the free booze) and shore excursions. Maybe a nice piece of jewelry.

If it happened to me I certainly wouldn't complain about that! :D

I actually had many encounters with NCL reps (before and after this cancellation) and I'm not happy with the service. When a company is getting my money, I want to be treated well. If you don't agree with that, tough. You would think you're personally losing money because I'm not booking with NCL anymore. Get over it, buddy.

My family had three cabins on the June 2nd sailing that was cancelled. I called the cruise line as soon as the e-mail came and tried to rebook for June 9th in the same category but of course, mine was the two cat upgrade from the 40th birthday celebration so for much more money, I was offered what they had left and that was a lower category than I originally had. The twenty five percent off was coming off of the base fare I originally paid, not what the fare is now and of course its closer to sailing and the rates are higher and the availability less. We all only have a certain window of time for vacation so we are actually on another cruise line for the same price it would have cost me for the June 9th Dawn AND now its 9 days, not seven. If NCL would have given us a little more incentive, they would have kept our loyalty. I notice that the Easter cruises werent cancelled but this is business, nothing more nothing less!

Good luck all. I hope it works out for everyone. I am relieved to still be cruising.

I actually had many encounters with NCL reps (before and after this cancellation) and I'm not happy with the service. When a company is getting my money, I want to be treated well. If you don't agree with that, tough. You would think you're personally losing money because I'm not booking with NCL anymore. Get over it, buddy.

I sure hope the NCL reps treated you better than this!!! :rolleyes:

I sure hope the NCL reps treated you better than this!!! :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sorry, but NCL_Cruiser seems to be targeting me in this whole thread about why I won't book again with NCL, and making accusations that I don't appreciate. Besides, I'm speaking about how a company is dealing with customers. NCL_Cruiser is not a customer of mine, and I don't appreciate him misreading my comments and making statements about them.

My family had three cabins on the June 2nd sailing that was cancelled. I called the cruise line as soon as the e-mail came and tried to rebook for June 9th in the same category but of course, mine was the two cat upgrade from the 40th birthday celebration so for much more money, I was offered what they had left and that was a lower category than I originally had. The twenty five percent off was coming off of the base fare I originally paid, not what the fare is now and of course its closer to sailing and the rates are higher and the availability less. We all only have a certain window of time for vacation so we are actually on another cruise line for the same price it would have cost me for the June 9th Dawn AND now its 9 days, not seven. If NCL would have given us a little more incentive, they would have kept our loyalty. I notice that the Easter cruises werent cancelled but this is business, nothing more nothing less!

Good luck all. I hope it works out for everyone. I am relieved to still be cruising.

I too had the same situation and got a 9 day cruise with Princess for the same $ as NCL. Again NCL is not taking care of their customers correctly.

Plus they want me to come back in HURRICANE SEASON so I can claim my $25 on board credit for all this aggrivation? I went through this with JETBLUE in Feburary and they were helpfull and gave a full refund plus R/T tickets and credit of $50 additional for a flight that was 2 1/2 hrs late. I have since booked 2 more flights with JETBLUE and will continue to give them my business. Good Business equals SUCCESS.

I too had the same situation and got a 9 day cruise with Princess for the same $ as NCL. Again NCL is not taking care of their customers correctly.

Plus they want me to come back in HURRICANE SEASON so I can claim my $25 on board credit for all this aggrivation? I went through this with JETBLUE in Feburary and they were helpfull and gave a full refund plus R/T tickets and credit of $50 additional for a flight that was 2 1/2 hrs late. I have since booked 2 more flights with JETBLUE and will continue to give them my business. Good Business equals SUCCESS.

Celebrity has had similar pod problems and handles it very well.

If your cruise is cancelled, you get a full refund. You also get a credit for a future cruise (FREE) in the same category for any 7 day cruise departing North America for the next 12 months. People could book on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They also pay for changes in airfare whether booked through them or not.

The cruise departing the week before ours was cancelled for drydock and the roll call was full of very happy people who felt they won the lottery. Two cruises for the prices of one makes the customer feel valued and appreciated. Even though they had mechanical problems, they did their best to compensate. Even with ongoing pod issues, the ships continue to sell because people know they will be treated with consideration. That is not at all too much to ask for.

Carol, I hope things work for you. I would be very disgusted with the offer you have been given. I just cannot figure how they think what they have offered is reasonable, especially given what the competition does. You should look at the news from around 11/17 on the board here about the Millennium drydock and read the roll call for the 12/10 sailing. Present this info to them and ask why their passengers deserve anything less.

Good luck to you.

If your cruise is cancelled, you get a full refund. You also get a credit for a future cruise (FREE) in the same category for any 7 day cruise departing North America for the next 12 months. People could book on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They also pay for changes in airfare whether booked through them or not.

Now all I can say to that is "COOL"

If your cruise is cancelled, you get a full refund. You also get a credit for a future cruise (FREE) in the same category for any 7 day cruise departing North America for the next 12 months. People could book on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They also pay for changes in airfare whether booked through them or not. Good luck to you.

Not exactly correct! Here was the Celebrity compensation for last December's Milllenium forced dry dock:

Guests booked on the cancelled sailing will receive a full refund and a free Celebrity cruise of equal value from North America of up to seven nights, departing on or before December 31, 2007, excluding holiday and Celebrity Xpedition sailings. Travel agents will receive full commissions for the cancelled sailing, plus a $50 rebooking fee per stateroom when their clients reschedule their cruise.

(1) Few Celebrity cruises are 7 nights or less.

A quick survey found these Celebrity ships sailing 7 night itineraries:

Until the end of April (the winter season)

Millennium sailing from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mercury sailing from San Diego, CA

May til September (the summer season)

Celebrity Journey sailing from Bayonne, NJ

Mercury sailing from Vancouver, Canada

Summit sailing from Vancouver, Canada

Infinity sailing from Vancouver, Canada

September to December (next winter)

Millennium sailing from Fort Lauderdale, FL

(2) Equal value doesn't mean equal accomodiations.

The December 10 sailings,, as far as what NCL experiences, has the cheapest fares all year.

Which is one reason I always sail that week.

But I will admit, 200% offer seems better than the 125% NCL offered.

(3) Only Celebrity ships were apart of the compensation, note Royal Caribbean ships weren't included.

But, the stockholders were probably upset. Further along, the Celebrity press released states:

The cancelled cruise is expected to have a negative impact on the earnings of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. of approximately $.02 per share.

Since RCL has 212.27 million shares outstanding, RCL lost $4,245,000 for this one drydock, cancelled cruise, and compensation package.

Note, NCL is losing two cruise sailings, it's only paying for one dry dock. Therefore, NCL is probably losing much more than what RCL lost, and NCL isn't as profitable as RCL to begin with.

If what you state about Celebrity is true, it appears that Celebrity will go the extra mile for their customers. I have only been on one Celebrity cruise, but they did have the best food and service that I have experienced aboard ship, so I guess this doesn't surprise me.

If what you state about Celebrity is true, it appears that Celebrity will go the extra mile for their customers. I have only been on one Celebrity cruise, but they did have the best food and service that I have experienced aboard ship, so I guess this doesn't surprise me.

Is it going an extra mile when the free cruise isn't free?

The Millenium was the ship going to dry dock. It would have sailed from Fort Lauderdale. The only ship available at that time for the free cruise that week was sailing from San Diego, all the way across the country, you would have had to pay for the last minute intra-continental flight.

You couldn't rechedule on the next two, possibly three cruises from Fort Lauderdale because that would have been during the holidays. The Alaskan cruises would probably have twice the fares as the Florida cruises, and you would have had to wait half a year for your cruise, and pay to fly to Vancouver. They provided limited choices. By the way, Celebrity prices have risen this year too.

NCL's compensation isn't limiting your choices. NCL is allowing you to choose from every cruise on every ship for any length of time, including holidays. It may not be as generous with money, but it isn't restrictive.

It appears that Princess and Celebrity both have people who know how to take care of their passengers. What I am sick and tired of hearing is that NCL's compensation is fair and these people should stop whining! How in the world is it fair to be bumped off a cruise and then can't rebook for the same price on a similar cruise????? Instead of offering the 25% discount, they should have simply said that they would book any bumped passenger on any 7 day New York Cruise in the same catagory (where available) for the money already paid. That would be somewhat fair!

Companies that put the customer before the bottom line are becoming more and more rare each day. It is nice to see that Princess and Celebrity are like that. (maybe one of their people could come over and teach Colin and Andy....)

A great story about Robert Lazurus, the owner of the then largest department store in Ohio. (before they were swallowed by Macy's.) Lazarus stores had a "many happy returns" policy meaning that they would take anything back within 90 days with or without a sales receipt. One day back in 1970's, Mr. Lazarus was walking through the downtown store and saw a clerk arguing with a customer. He walked over and asked what was going on. The customer said that she was trying to return a shirt that didn't fit. Mr. Lazarus told the clerk to give the lady her money. The clerk looked at Mr. Lazarus and said: "but the label says "JC Penney!" Mr. Lazarus looked at the clerk and said, "the customer always comes first, give the lady the money for the cost of a shirt." The lady went on to become one of the biggest supporters of Lazarus stores and later Mr. Lazarus said that it was the best advertizing that he ever did! So, taking care of customers when things aren't right does reap benefits!!!

An announcement was made Friday....it is too much to ask to give the company two days to process the coupons and put them onto the profiles of the clients? I'm sure you can understand the frustration the reps have when they are being contacted by people understandably upset that their vacation is cancelled, have to tell them "I can't complete your request until monday, because the company hasn't had time to process everything we need," then deal with the backlash of the upset customers.

The only problem with the "wait til Monday" request is that prices have gone up this weekend!!!!

I'm booked on the Spirit's 6/2 sailing and have been keeping a close eye on the prices the past several weeks as my final payment was just due last week. Anyway, the price for my cabin cat went up $300 this weekend alone!!!!

JMO, but BEFORE notifying the passengers and releasing this info to the public, NCL should have taken a couple of days to thoroughly train all customer service reps on how to properly handle this situation.

The same thing happened last month following a press release regarding the new military discount rate. NCL made the announcement before properly training reps on how to actually give the quotes. We had a whole thread going on this topic.

This dry dock was inevitable. It was not some out of the blue thing that just happened last week. Even though they most likely didn't know when, they knew cruises were going to be cancelled, the powers to be should have taken a few extra days to get all their ducks in a row and come up with better stratagies for dealing with unique situations, such as Carol's before announcing the dry docks.

Good luck to Carol and all others affected!!!!! We've got a great roll call going for the June 2 Spirit sailing and invite all of you to join us!!!!! It's going to be a blast:)

A great story about Robert Lazurus, the owner of the then largest department store in Ohio. (before they were swallowed by Macy's.) Lazarus stores had a "many happy returns" policy meaning that they would take anything back within 90 days with or without a sales receipt. One day back in 1970's, Mr. Lazarus was walking through the downtown store and saw a clerk arguing with a customer. He walked over and asked what was going on. The customer said that she was trying to return a shirt that didn't fit. Mr. Lazarus told the clerk to give the lady her money. The clerk looked at Mr. Lazarus and said: "but the label says "JC Penney!" Mr. Lazarus looked at the clerk and said, "the customer always comes first, give the lady the money for the cost of a shirt." The lady went on to become one of the biggest supporters of Lazarus stores and later Mr. Lazarus said that it was the best advertizing that he ever did! So, taking care of customers when things aren't right does reap benefits!!!

Great story, Keystone!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

The only problem with the "wait til Monday" request is that prices have gone up this weekend!!!!

I'm booked on the Spirit's 6/2 sailing and have been keeping a close eye on the prices the past several weeks as my final payment was just due last week. Anyway, the price for my cabin cat went up $300 this weekend alone!!!!

JMO, but BEFORE notifying the passengers and releasing this info to the public, NCL should have taken a couple of days to thoroughly train all customer service reps on how to properly handle this situation.

Even though they most likely didn't know when, they knew cruises were going to be cancelled, the powers to be should have taken a few extra days to get all their ducks in a row and come up with better stratagies for dealing with unique situations, such as Carol's before announcing the dry docks.

Good luck to Carol and all others affected!!!!! We've got a great roll call going for the June 2 Spirit sailing and invite all of you to join us!!!!! It's going to be a blast:)

The problem with waiting to announce the dry dock until they got their ducks in a row, is that the fares would have still risen this past weekend anyways. At least with the early announcement, passengers had the whole weekend to look at many possibilities and change their plans before rebooking their next cruise. So when they do call on Monday, the cruise consultants should be able to handle everyone's calls faster. Hopefully NCL will have more managers/supervisors handy Monday too, to address individual issues promptly.

I also agree and hope Carol and everyone else will have good luck tomorrow rebooking their cruises.

Archived