Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

Okay. Let me clarify it for everyone in $$$ :D

My original cruise in the Garden Villa was $23K

To rebook the same cruise, same itinerary, same number of people is now $36K.

My 25% cruise credit comes to around $5K.

So, this is what it comes down to.

If I rebook at the new rates my total cost is now $31K (which takes into account the $5K credit). Which means I would have to pay NCl an additional $8K

Oh boy. Hope this clarifies for everyone.

Exactly. If you had someone from NCL call you personally and "work" with you, would you have re-booked and come back to NCL? IMO, I think so.;)

If I rebook at the new rates my total cost is now $31K (which takes into account the $5K credit). Which means I would have to pay NCl an additional $8K

I understand - The only way that we came out ahead was by booking a lower catagory. In November we were in an AB on the Dawn and in Feb we booked an AC on the Spirit which was less. It cost us 100.00 less to take that cruise than the one in Novemeber. Had we wanted to do the Dawn again in an AB it would have been more out of pocket even after the 25%.

Carol - if NCL does not work with- I suggest to take your money elsewhere. Many other cruiselines would bend over backwards to accomodate VIP bookings like yours.

We were also on the 6/2 Dawn cruise we are now on the 6/2 Spirit.We chose this week do to certain weeks we could get off from work and I am having knee replacement surgery the end of June.I am well aware that the cost of cruises have gone up since we booked the Dawn on Jan 18.

The 25% does not cover the new price so I will pay more I know it is a day longer but when We booked the Dawn the Spirit was the same price.

This is our fifth cruise with NCL and we have one booked on the Gem so I think we are loyal to them.

This is the cost of a BA cabin on the Spirit 3/30 $3741.48

The cost of the same cabin 3/31 $3881.48

We paid $2793.00 for our Dawn Cruise

Gee Ches, This sounds awfully high. We were quoted 1414.pp for a guarantee BD cabin. I know the BA's are higher, but with the 25% off our price will come to about 1175.00 . Of course this is without taxes and ins.

Even with the 25% off, we will still be paying more.

We are considering going with another line. Our TA said to wait till Monday when credits are finalized.

m.

Sorry, but "fare" compensation should be NO LESS than the cost of rebooking at at least the rate of the original cruise, IE one "cruise credit". Anything less is an insult.

125% of the original cruises is 25% more than the fare rate of the original cruise. Rebooking fare prices depend upon the date of the rebooked cruise. While these are not the rates for a Garden Villa, these rates for a Mini Suite shows that fares for the same cabin classification go up and down by sailing dates. We'll assume Garden Villa rates vary the same.

We'll use the Dawn as the example, because it is the ship in discussion.

May 12 $1699

May 19 $1649

June 9 $1449

June 16 $1599

June 23 $2049

June 30 $2099

July 14 $2199

July 21 $1949

July 28 $1799

Aug 4 $1699

Aug 11 $1699

Aug 18 $1749

Aug 25 $1599

That's a variation from $1449 to $2099 over the summer, with the exact same itinerary, a variation of 31%.

There are 107 Mini Suites aboard the Dawn, and just 2 Garden Villas.

Therefore, I don't think it is unusual for Garden Villas fares to have a larger variation, just because of their much less availablity.

Also note, fares in May are much cheaper than July, while fares in August fall again. I don't know when the OP wishes to rebook, but has she searched to find the week with a cheaper Garden Villa, or selected the week with them most expensive Garden Villa fare?

125% of the original cruises is 25% more than the fare rate of the original cruise. Rebooking fare prices depend upon the date of the rebooked cruise. While these are not the rates for a Garden Villa, these rates for a Mini Suite shows that fares for the same cabin classification go up and down by sailing dates. We'll assume Garden Villa rates vary the same.

We'll use the Dawn as the example, because it is the ship in discussion.

May 12 $1699

May 19 $1649

June 9 $1449

June 16 $1599

June 23 $2049

June 30 $2099

July 14 $2199

July 21 $1949

July 28 $1799

Aug 4 $1699

Aug 11 $1699

Aug 18 $1749

Aug 25 $1599

That's a variation from $1449 to $2099 over the summer, with the exact same itinerary, a variation of 31%.

There are 107 Mini Suites aboard the Dawn, and just 2 Garden Villas.

Therefore, I don't think it is unusual for Garden Villas fares to have a larger variation, just because of their much less availablity.

Also note, fares in May are much cheaper than July, while fares in August fall again. I don't know when the OP wishes to rebook, but has she searched to find the week with a cheaper Garden Villa, or selected the week with them most expensive Garden Villa fare?

The 7/21 sailing was the first one with a Garden Villa available. I have no interest in a Canada/New England cruise which starts in September. So as you can see we are very limited in our choices.

Excellence in Customer Service is not how you handle your business on a normal day, but how you handle and recover from a problem when it comes up.

In this case, it seems NCL falls short.

I work for a major international non-US based airline who prides itself on delivering quality customer service.

That being said, we look at delays in two ways- controllable and uncontrollable. Uncontrollable delays are related to weather, air traffic control, or due to strikes by non-airline entities like TSA. For this, there is no financial compensation or hotels.

Controllable delays are related to mechanical issues, crew issues, staffing issues, or schedule changes.

We do compensate when we can control the problem.

Maintenance is CONTROLLABLE, even if it comes up unexpectedly or is planned.

I do not think it is unreasonable for this passenger to be reaccomodated on a similar cruise in a similar stateroom at no additional cost if it were available- regardless of season. Forget that she can afford a Garden View. I would want the same option if I were in the lowest category inside.

As far as the 25% discount, did they tell you they were giving you 6K towards a new booking? Most of these discounts are offers to be taken off of your next cruise's fare and NOT a blanket credit in the form of dollars to use at your discretion.

If it were a credit, you could probably just book a new cruise in a suite and then go for free- and you still would have gotten your money back on the original canceled sailing. I don't think NCL is giving you 6K for free as opposed to a discount (which in this case may equal 6K given your choice of a Garden View stateroom).. Please double check to avoid further disappointment.

If you're willing to spend 20K on a cruise, I suggest Celebrity, Princess, or Royal Caribbean who do treat high-end customers appropriately in my opinion.

Good Luck,

Hal

May 12 $1699

May 19 $1649

June 9 $1449

June 16 $1599

June 23 $2049

June 30 $2099

July 14 $2199

July 21 $1949

July 28 $1799

Aug 4 $1699

Aug 11 $1699

Aug 18 $1749

Aug 25 $1599

Should the OP and the others affected have to worry about what the fares are on the weeks it is decided to take the ship out of service? Is it a coincidence that the drydock is scheduled right around the same time the cheapest fares are being offered? HMM.

Sorry. Don't agree with your logic. The % should factor in cost to recoup from the original booking. Your logic would be flawed if the ship was or, worse yet, HAD to be taken out of service July 14th. What % do you think would be offered then?

Unfortunately, drydocks are not available at whim. Hundreds if not thousands of workers are dependent upon the shipyards to provide steady work. Not work one week and a wait for month for another week of work. They are booked in advance for months. It takes months of work preplanning a drydock. Fortuanely, the shipyard had an availability these two weeks after Memorial Day.

How anyone can imply that NCL booked the shipyard during the two cheapest cruises in May? Even if it appears otherwise. I have seen in the past all of the cruise lines book drydocks during their most expensive cruises. Cruise lines book drydocks when there is an availabiility.

If the earliest booking in July is among the most expensive fares, why not attempt to book in August when the fares aren't so expensive?

Should the OP and the others affected have to worry about what the fares are on the weeks it is decided to take the ship out of service? Is it a coincidence that the drydock is scheduled right around the same time the cheapest fares are being offered? HMM.

Sorry. Don't agree with your logic. The % should factor in cost to recoup from the original booking. Your logic would be flawed if the ship was or, worse yet, HAD to be taken out of service July 14th. What % do you think would be offered then?

The same, 100% refund and 25% credits. In that case, the passengers would be rebooking to cheapper cruises. Which they still can, if they are flexible, choosing a different ship and itinerary, and be willing to fly. New York itinerary fares aren't the cheapest available.

How about an Alaskan cruise aboard the Star, the Dawn's sister ship, sailing from Seattle this summer? (Mini Suite fares) :)

June 2 $1699

June 9 $1699

June 16 $1699

June 23 $1799

June 30 $1899

July 7 $1899

July 14 $1999

July 21 $2049

July 28 $1949

August 4 $1999

August 11 $1949

August 18 $1849

August 25 $1699

September 1 $1649

September 8 $1699

September 15 $1649

Or the Jewel to the Mediterranean sailing from Barcelona?

July 8 $1899

July 15 $1899

July 22 $1899

July 29 $1999

August 5 $1799

August 12 $1799

August 19 $1699

August 26 $1699

Or a Hawaiian cruise on the Pride of Hawaii sailing from Honolulu?

June 4 $1899

June 11 $1899

June 18 $1849

June 25 $1949

July 2 $1999

July 9 $2199

July 16 $1849

July 23 $1949

July 30 $2249

August 6 $1899

August 13$1899

August 20 $1599

August 27 $2199

September 3 $1599

September 10 $1599

September 17 $1599

September 24 $1599

I'll assume the Pearl, the last of NCL ships with Garden Villas, has higher fares than the Star. Never-the-less, it appears she could take another cruise in a Garden Villa, and still not pay any more out of her purse than her refund she will get from NCL for her cancelled cruise.

Of course, she might have to fork up some more cash, but far less than the $5,000 she's complaining about, for air fares.

Some might say the other itineraries are probably better than what she's losing.

Are you suggesting they "take care" of Garden Villa passengers better than Inside Cabin passengers? All cabin classifications have been affected, not just Garden Villas.

Let's suppose my last cruise aboard the Dream was cancelled last December for repairs and a dry dock, and I got offered the same as compensation. My sailing had the cheapest fares of any NCL ship that month, maybe all winter long. The Dream isn't returning to Houston next winter, maybe no NCL ship will ever return to Houston for a long time to come. That means I would have to choose a different itinerary next winter, which has higher fares. The closest NCL ship departure port would be New Orleans next winter. I seriously doubt I'll find an Oceanview cabin anytime next winter on the Spirit 125% of my fares on the Dream. Possibly an Inside cabin, or maybe not. I haven't checked the Spirit's fares for next winter yet.

But my point is, since I was booked on NCL's cheapest cruise last winter, should NCL compensate me with a free cruise on a more expensive cruise? Likewise, a change in dates affect fare prices. We're comparing apples to oranges if we change the ship, change the itinerary, or change the sailing date. The only way to compare apples to apples is the way NCL is doing it, by refunding you 100% of your fares, plus adding an additional 25% credit for your fares for that specific cancelled cruise.

I agree. NCL is always fair with their customers, in fact much more than any other line that we have travelled on. I understand the frustration and disappointment but this problem has been going on and now it really needs to be corrected. I think Carol54 would be much more upset if during her cruise they were stranded or forced to change the itinerary. I have been cruising for years and have had many changes in my itinerary. In fact, we were on the Dawn's 3/11 cruise and missed Jamaica and Great Stirrup Cay due to the azipod problem. We were compensated with 100 dollars a cabin.

I am a loyal NCL customer and they are offering compensation and time to change your plans. We were notified of the itinerary change the day before.

Try to make the best of the situation .

Excellence in Customer Service is not how you handle your business on a normal day, but how you handle and recover from a problem when it comes up.

In this case, it seems NCL falls short.

I work for a major international non-US based airline who prides itself on delivering quality customer service.

That being said, we look at delays in two ways- controllable and uncontrollable. Uncontrollable delays are related to weather, air traffic control, or due to strikes by non-airline entities like TSA. For this, there is no financial compensation or hotels.

Controllable delays are related to mechanical issues, crew issues, staffing issues, or schedule changes.

We do compensate when we can control the problem.

Maintenance is CONTROLLABLE, even if it comes up unexpectedly or is planned.

I do not think it is unreasonable for this passenger to be reaccomodated on a similar cruise in a similar stateroom at no additional cost if it were available- regardless of season. Forget that she can afford a Garden View. I would want the same option if I were in the lowest category inside.

As far as the 25% discount, did they tell you they were giving you 6K towards a new booking? Most of these discounts are offers to be taken off of your next cruise's fare and NOT a blanket credit in the form of dollars to use at your discretion.

If it were a credit, you could probably just book a new cruise in a suite and then go for free- and you still would have gotten your money back on the original canceled sailing. I don't think NCL is giving you 6K for free as opposed to a discount (which in this case may equal 6K given your choice of a Garden View stateroom).. Please double check to avoid further disappointment.

If you're willing to spend 20K on a cruise, I suggest Celebrity, Princess, or Royal Caribbean who do treat high-end customers appropriately in my opinion.

Good Luck,

Hal

Get off your high horse. I know everyone schedules planned maintenance activities during slack periods. Boeing and many other assembly lines, shut down the entire line during the Christmas holidays. Electric utilities shut down power plants during the spring and fall months, when peak demand is lower.

Cruise Lines also think the same way. While this dry dock is early, it is scheduled. Many posters had speculated that NCL would schedule this dry dock to repair the Dawn's azipods before the summer peak, or wait until after, because they knew the economics involved with operations of cruise ships. Any business would choose, if given the choice, to have a dry dock performed during a period which has the cheaper fares.

The same, 100% refund and 25% credits. In that case, the passengers would be rebooking to cheapper cruises. Which they still can, if they are flexible, choosing a different ship and itinerary, and be willing to fly. New York itinerary fares aren't the cheapest available.

How about an Alaskan cruise aboard the Star, the Dawn's sister ship, sailing from Seattle this summer? (Mini Suite fares) :)

June 2 $1699

June 9 $1699

June 16 $1699

June 23 $1799

June 30 $1899

July 7 $1899

July 14 $1999

July 21 $2049

July 28 $1949

August 4 $1999

August 11 $1949

August 18 $1849

August 25 $1699

September 1 $1649

September 8 $1699

September 15 $1649

July 8 $1899

July 15 $1899

July 22 $1899

July 29 $1999

August 5 $1799

August 12 $1799

August 19 $1699

August 26 $1699

June 4 $1899

June 11 $1899

June 18 $1849

June 25 $1949

July 2 $1999

July 9 $2199

July 16 $1849

July 23 $1949

July 30 $2249

August 6 $1899

August 13$1899

August 20 $1599

August 27 $2199

September 3 $1599

September 10 $1599

September 17 $1599

September 24 $1599

I'll assume the Pearl, the last of NCL ships with Garden Villas, has higher fares than the Star. Never-the-less, it appears she could take another cruise in a Garden Villa, and still not pay any more out of her purse than her refund she will get from NCL for her cancelled cruise.

Of course, she might have to fork up some more cash, but far less than the $5,000 she's complaining about, for air fares.

Some might say the other itineraries are probably better than what she's losing.

I understand your point but this was a family cruise involving 6 WORKING adults. No one is retired and can just reschedule a vacation at whim. It also included my 18 month old granddaughter. My daughter will not fly so flying to a port is out. Even if it were an option it would be adding at least another 3-4 days to the vacation to allow for flying, etc. People with full time jobs cannot just take off whenever they it "works" for them. They need to take many other variables involved.

June 2 $1699

June 9 $1699

June 16 $1699

June 23 $1799

June 30 $1899

July 7 $1899

July 14 $1999

July 21 $2049

July 28 $1949

August 4 $1999

August 11 $1949

August 18 $1849

August 25 $1699

September 1 $1649

September 8 $1699

September 15 $1649

July 8 $1899

July 15 $1899

July 22 $1899

July 29 $1999

August 5 $1799

August 12 $1799

August 19 $1699

August 26 $1699

June 4 $1899

June 11 $1899

June 18 $1849

June 25 $1949

July 2 $1999

July 9 $2199

July 16 $1849

July 23 $1949

July 30 $2249

August 6 $1899

August 13$1899

August 20 $1599

August 27 $2199

September 3 $1599

September 10 $1599

September 17 $1599

September 24 $1599

Get your facts straight. It's an additional $8K and no - there are no garden villas available any longer that are anywhere near what I originally paid.

Get your facts straight. It's an additional $8K and no - there are no garden villas available any longer that are anywhere near what I originally paid.

That's bad news for this summer. How about this fall, this winter, next spring and next summer? How about downgrading, and booking two suites vs one Garden Villa?

Whether you chose this cruise because of price or not, you had picked amongst the cheapest summer cruises.

I dislike analogies, but maybe this one will put the issues into perspective.

If I bought a top of the line luxury car "on sale", and it gets unrepairably damaged before leaving the lot, I would have to purchase another car on the lot from what's available while the sale is in effect. Should you expect the dealer to honor the deal made on the first car and give a full refund? Yes, I would.

If that second car is more expensive, whether it was "on sale" or not, would you expect to get the more expensive second car without putting up more cash? No, I wouldn't. I would expect to pay more for the more expensive car.

Cruises later in the summer are more expensive, for every cabin classification, than they are in late May or early June.

Carol,

I say give it up. You did not buy a car. You bought an "experience". Unless you can take the Villa home with you, that analogy may work:rolleyes:

Don`t try to explain yourself anymore, no one can walk in your shoes.

I hope everything works out for you:)

I see your point and I would be looking at a different line to take the place for this cruise and then come back later and get the discount on a future NCL cruise. No way would I pay that kind of extra money.

I understand your point but this was a family cruise involving 6 WORKING adults. No one is retired and can just reschedule a vacation at whim. It also included my 18 month old granddaughter. My daughter will not fly so flying to a port is out. Even if it were an option it would be adding at least another 3-4 days to the vacation to allow for flying, etc. People with full time jobs cannot just take off whenever they it "works" for them. They need to take many other variables involved.
I understand your delima as far as scheduling goes, I am not quite sure about why you would need to add 3 or 4 days because of flying: one day maybe, why more? NMnita

I also was cancelled for May 26th Dawn. I was able to rebook June 9th same cat however, I also have 6 adults involved in this cruise with 3 cabins(1-I/S 1-Balcony 1-Mini Suite) we all had to change our plans at work and rearrange our life for this. The mini suite was getting a $930 credit yet now that I'm booking June 9th so late I'm also paying a higher price for the cabin. So 25% dosen't look so good after all. Plus since I booked back in Janurary when they were running their "Sale of Sails" I also lost my $100 cabin credit. I didn't cancel, NCL DID! I too feel they should have given me an equal value cabin since it was available at no extra charge and then given me my $930 credit,and my $100 on board credit. I had a cancelation on Celebrity out of NY to Bermuda and they got me on the Zenith in Ft Lauderdale and paid for my Airfare at no cost to me. When I called to complain they put me on hold for 20 minutes and then told me a supervisor wasn't available and probably couldn't do anything for me anyway, call back on Monday.I've been on appox 25 cruises and this is my 2nd and last on NCL!!:mad:

But it should not matter what category cabin anyone booked. Everyone on board should be treated the same and be given the exact same treatment.
I agree with you 100%. Why should NCL or any line give preferance to those who book the higher priced cabins. The person booking an inside cabin today may want the Owners suite next year or if they always book inside, that is ok as well.

I run a business and have income insurance so that if something happens to my building or any other reason where I am unable to trade the income to my company is assured. This allows me to pay my staff even though I have no trading income. (Actually I do not have to use the money to pay my staff as they are not working, but would do so to retain them.) I am sure NCL has a similar policy. Ncl should in my opinion at the very least allow the passengers to book at another time or on another ship for no additional charge. Their loss is not that large if they have this insurance but the loss of customer goodwill could be huge.

Siince the Garden Villas are so few and very expensive, has Carol investigated whether she could find two smaller less expensive suites and sail with a bit less dignity? She will receive the same quality of butler and conceirge service. And she will have more dates to choose from.

It would be good if the displaced passengers could get the same cabin type with similar itinirary and # of days as they originally bought for the same price as it isn't their fault the cruises are cancelled.

Archived