Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

In my (humble) opinion, it's absolutely ABSURD that Carol should have to pay more for the same cabin when it's an NCL issue to begin with. I don't understand what they're thinking over there, when it comes to this, and as the writer of the news item I sure as heck won't defend NCL's measly 25 percent "gift".

Go, Carol, go! Fight this! And let us know how it ends up.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic.com

I posted this on another board, but this is comparing Apples and Bowling Balls.

Flights cancelled to weather are not the airlines problems. If an airline cancels your flight due to their mechanical issues, you will be rebooked at no cost, given hotel vouchers (if overnight stay is required) or food vouchers (if the delay is a few hours).

In this case, NCL cancelled due to a mechanical problem that they knew was coming (see all previous trip reports of slowing engines and changing itineraries) hence, NCL should AT A MINIMUM give the same or similar cabin/cruise to passengers at NO ADDITIONAL COST than already paid by their customers.

Yes, I think you are right to fight the higher price. Since the problem is affecting sailings right now with a slower speed and changes in either the ports or the time in the ports, it is not a new problem that came out of the blue. Who's to say that between now and the time of the dry dock it may be necessary to keep modifying the itinerary or to totally scrap more sailings if the problem worsens.

I could see a little price difference in rebooking another date, but that's way too much of a difference to ask a passenger to pay. For that amount, you could book 2 regular cabins or 2 cruises with NCL!

We faced a cancelled cruise with Cunard that was totally unique in its itinerary -- Australia. They had chartered the ship from Commodore Cruise Lines for a limited amount of sailings that only sailed from Syndey to Cairns with other stops in Australia. We also had booked additional time at the end of the voyage. Suddenly, it was cancelled without any reason being given. However, Cunard was very generous in offering us our choice of any of their ships with a 25% discount. There was no penalty for canceling the air arrangements and the additional land stay since it all was booked through Cunard. We ended up going to the Canary Islands for about the same number of days and actually got money back because our new cruise costed less than the cruise that was canceled! So we really benefitted and enjoyed the Canary Islands in the process.

Just because NCL had to pull the ship for the necessary dry dock $3000 is way too much to pay. I would try to find a less expensive sailing or switch to a different ship. Some other ship and sail date has to be available that will not cost you $3,000 because of NCL's problem. Or go with another cruise line and ask for a complete refund of your money.

Good luck to you.

MARAPRINCE

I'm not sure I understand. Carol booked the highest category cabin on the ship. They should be kissing her ... you know. There's no problem. My god, it's bad enough that they're not taking care of everybody on the affected cruises. But to blow off someone who's booked a Garden Villa? That's unbelievably stupid, business wise. I mean really....

Carolyn

The problem is, she booked a Garden Villa. There's only two Garden Villas per ship, and with just five, soon to be six, ships with that cabin classification. There probably isn't that many unbooked Garden Villas left this summer, and there's just one ship doing that specific itinerary.

The 100% refund, with an additional 25% credit, offer is good for a year. NCL isn't going to kick someone out of a Garden Villa this summer to make room for her. She is going to have to choose from a limited number of cruises with open Garden Villas, priced differently.

If I were her, I would take a similar itinerary cruise in a less expensive cabin classification, like an Owner's Suite or Penthouse Suite, which still gets butler and coincerge service.

I'm having a really hard time feeling sorry for someone having to downgrade to an Owner's Suite for a cruise this summer. If she can afford a Garden Villa this year, she can probably afford one next year.

As for sailling on a different cruise line, none of them have accomodiations as great as NCL's Garden Villas. Therefore, she would be downgrading anyway with another cruise line.

In my (humble) opinion, it's absolutely ABSURD that Carol should have to pay more for the same cabin when it's an NCL issue to begin with. I don't understand what they're thinking over there, when it comes to this, and as the writer of the news item I sure as heck won't defend NCL's measly 25 percent "gift".

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic.com

Shouldn't a news piece give the news, not defend or denigrate? Print the release as is, give the readers credit that they are able to form their own opinion. I think the compensation is fair, not that I wouldn't be upset over a missed cruise.

I doubt this is going to sound right (my sarcasm usually does), as I really do feel for Carol on this one, but it's somewhat comforting to know that we're all being treated equally crappy by NCL. My wife and I were also booked on the 5/26 Dawn trip (balcony cabin) for our 5th anniversary (and the first "real" vacation since our honeymoon). After finding out about the cancellation and leaving a message for our TA, I called NCL to get some more detail. The rep I spoke to barely knew anything about the cancellation...when we'd be getting the refund, how the 25% would be handled (discount, onboard credit, other).

After reading a few comments on these boards, I called back and got someone even worse. She told me the 5/19 Spirit was almost sold out, but she couldn't put a hold on one of the few available cabins for us, nor could she book it with the discount. When I asked why, I was given another phone number to call, and told that "those people" were closed until Monday. I then asked if I could book the cabin on the Spirit, pay the full price and use the 25% as an onboard credit (on an 8-day cruise, I suspect we'll spend more than $700 anyway). She didn't know if that was possible, and told me that by booking now, I'd risk getting nothing in the way of "compensation." (unless we sailed again before next June, which is doubtful). I explained to the rep that my wife and I could only go between 5/19 and 6/4, and was basically told that I might be lucky and still have something available for the spirit on Monday...luckily, my TA called back and was able to get a hold on a BF for the 5/19 Spirit until Monday when they "hopefully have their act together" (his words, not mine).

I definitely think what's being done to Carol (and, presumably, others) is absurd, and that we should be offered comparable rates for the same cabin classes we had booked (Availability permitting of course). Personally, I appreciate the 25%, as I'll (hopefully) be re-booking on something less expensive than what we had, but I can see the frustration with those being asked to pay up, especially when you think that they likely would have gotten much better rates on these "new" dates if NCL had made this decision earlier.

What really gets me though, is that the NCL booking representatives seem to have no clue, no compassion, and no desire whatsoever to do anything beyond the bare minimum to help us reschedule. It's totally possible that I just got "duds" both times I called, but it sounds like others are having a rough time too.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic.com

Carolyn:

What do you suppose NCL is responsible to do for the guests that have been impacted by this unfortunate issue? Everyone agrees that, legally, NCL has the right to cancel or change the ship's itinerary without any compensation, other than refunding the money paid for the cruise. Not only has NCL given guests who had itinerary changes in the past OBCs, but they are refunding the money for these guests who are being cancelled (which they must do), providing them with an ADDITIONAL 25% credit for a future sailing (not required), picking up air change fees up to $75/pp on independent air (not required) and offering additional OBCs on select sailings for impacted guests (not required.)

Can you tell me of any other cruise line who has compensated cancelled passengers with a significantly greater amount for cancelling a cruise due to equipment repairs?

I don't think that is what Carol54 is proposing. Clearly, no one is going to be forced to give up their stateroom for a displaced passenger. However, using your example let's see how this goes:

I am Carol 54, a misplaced cruiser that have to rearrange my cruise. I cannot go May 26 or June 2 because of the repairs that need to be done. Okay I want to go instead on the first available date where my original "type" stateroom is available. Except, now I have to pay extra money to get the same thing I already paid for? In this case, since it was a Garden Villa, I have to pony up an extra $3k.

Bottom line, NCL should honor the original booking AT A MINIMUM. Asking for more money is robbery.

no, you have to compare apples to apples not apples to watermelons. carol54 picked that date maybe based on the rate so why should ncl have to give carol54 that same suite during peak season as compared to not peak season. in my opinion i feel ncl is doing the best possible and affecting the least amount possible.just my opinion however.

As far as the Drydock, I think everyone who has been reading these boards for the past month knew that a drydock for the Dawn was inevitable and was only a matter of time. As for the timing, perhaps the drydock time came available and NCL jumped on it. It might be the earliest it could get. We all know that the Dawn is having serious problems with her azipods. (and I for one stated a long time ago to look for the drydock BEFORE Rosie's cruise in July, don't want to mess that fiasco up for the queen)

As far as the compensation, I agree that NCL cannot put everyone who is misplaced on those two cruises into their same room or even catagory at the same time or even on many cruises for the summer. As someone who has been bumped out of the cabins we reserved, I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else. BUT, I do think NCL should book those passengers bumped from these two cruises on another cruise for the same price they are paying. If they are forced to drop to a lower catagory due to availability, they should only have to pay what the cost would have been for that catagory on their scheduled dates. (example: if someone in a AF on the May 19 cruise is bumped and decides to take a Dawn cruise in August but has to drop to a BB because no AF's are available, they should only have to pay the cost of a BB cabin for the May 19 cruise even though they are now sailing in August. That would be a fair trade off.

NCL is well known for putting their profit margin ahead of fairly compensating their customers when they screw up or when a mechanical failure occurs. Just like in my case, they will hide, lie and do whatever they have to to avoid fair compensation that happens to cost them a little money! Mechanical problems happen and are unavoidable, but the mark of a good company is properly taking care of those who are affected. NCL fails miserably in this area.

(personally I blame it on incompetent corporate leadership at the top.)

The airlines cancelled due to weather - out of their control. This way totally within NCL's control. They knew about the problem back in February but waited until the rates went up to cancel these two cruises. And yes, I do have insurance. But what good is it in this situation. I'm getting a full refund. I just can't rebook anything for the same price. Looks like I'm being taking my $20K plus and rebooking within another cruiseline and then at some future date using the 25% ($6K) to cruise on NCL's dime.

And one more thing. Spoke with NCL - after the cruise credit I would have to pony up an additional $8,000. Just can't justify it. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

ok but do you know as fact that ncl waited for the rates to go up or is that sarcasm.ncl ships usually sail sold out and float other cruise lines and you`ll see a couple with impending engineering concerns and they`re not sure of the right fix yet.i`m not being mean but they all have problems and i`m sure you can find something you want that`s comparable.

I think you are missing something. They will give you 25% off the rate you paid for the CANCELLED CRUISE. However, in in the interim they raised their rates close to 50%. I cannot book a cruise with the same itnerary, same number of days for the price of the cancelled cruise. So NCL wants and ADDITIONAL $8K from me.

ok, no problem and sounds extremely reasonable to me, look at both sides of the problem and it gets extremely clearer.

Although unfortunate when vacation plans go awry, I think the compensation is very appropriate, even more so if the independent air expenses and future on board credit are included.

I do support people struggling for what they believe in (even if I do not believe in the cause). Good luck and I hope it works out for you, whatever the outcome. I once had a cruise canceled (due to Star Princess fire) and once had a complete port embarkation/itinerary change (due to Hurricane Katrina NCL Sun). Our travel rearrangements were pleasantly surprising and we had awesome experiences that we never before imagined. If you do not get what you expect, then I hope your rearrangements are just as surprising and interesting and fun as they can be.

Sincerely,

Coka

Celebrity canceled my Alaskan cruise last year...and...they gave us a FREE cruise to compensate. Our ship had engine problems...so we took our free cruise to the Carribean last month...they should offer you the same type deal!

The cruise credit needs clarification. Is it 25% off a future cruise, no matter the category selected or is 25% of the price paid for the canceled cruise given towards a future one.

I suspect it is the former but others interpret it as the latter. Anyone know for sure?

Coka

Same here, good luck Carol. If a bus broke down, normally they will send in another bus and the passenger do not need to pay extra for the ride. The airlines do the same thing if there is mechancial problem or delays and no extra charge. I think Cruise lines should do the same thing without extra charge for the same itinerary.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic.com

I agree with this 100%. I think that NCL should be allowing all of the guests that are being affected by the two cancelled sailings to book at a future date for the exact same rate plus the 25% provided that space is available for the category cabin that they had originally booked. It is only fair. It's not NCL's fault that the ship needs an emergency repair but it is their ship and they need to take care of their passengers.

I'm not sure I understand. Carol booked the highest category cabin on the ship. They should be kissing her ... you know. There's no problem. My god, it's bad enough that they're not taking care of everybody on the affected cruises. But to blow off someone who's booked a Garden Villa? That's unbelievably stupid, business wise. I mean really....

Carolyn

But it should not matter what category cabin anyone booked. Everyone on board should be treated the same and be given the exact same treatment.

The cruise credit needs clarification. Is it 25% off a future cruise, no matter the category selected or is 25% of the price paid for the canceled cruise given towards a future one.

I suspect it is the former but others interpret it as the latter. Anyone know for sure?

Coka

I know for certain is is 25% off the price paid for the "voyage price" only of the cancelled cruise (ie., not insurance, port fees, tax, etc.).

The cruise consultant I dealt with was wonderful. Very supportive and not ready to give up just yet. She asked me to give her until Monday to work on it. She doesn't understand either how NCL can justify me paying an additonal $8,000.

It's ok. We've adjusted. We're looking at an RCCL cruise and even some land-based resorts. We'll still get our vacation - just not the one we had originally planned.

As my mom always told me "Carol, everything happens for a reaon."

I hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing vacation. I know we will just not with NCL.

NCL should allow you to book the same category at the same price on an available basis for a future cruise. The 25% extra does not help if you have to pay more than that to rebook on a different cruise.Their actual cost per passenger is not higher in July than it is in May, so they are not losing any money.They are just losing some additional profit that they would have made selling the cabin to someone at a higher price. Passengers are told to buy insurance to cover their losses in case they have to cancel a cruise that they have paid for. The cruise lines can do the same to cover their losses when they have to cancel sailings.

It really comes down to how far cruise lines are willing to go to keep satisfied customers.As long as ships are sailing full, some seem to have the attitude that they will just find other passengers. But you do have a choice in other cruise lines and other vacation options.When enough people decide to make other choices, that kind of attitude will change.

We were also on the 6/2 Dawn cruise we are now on the 6/2 Spirit.We chose this week do to certain weeks we could get off from work and I am having knee replacement surgery the end of June.I am well aware that the cost of cruises have gone up since we booked the Dawn on Jan 18.

The 25% does not cover the new price so I will pay more I know it is a day longer but when We booked the Dawn the Spirit was the same price.

This is our fifth cruise with NCL and we have one booked on the Gem so I think we are loyal to them.

This is the cost of a BA cabin on the Spirit 3/30 $3741.48

The cost of the same cabin 3/31 $3881.48

We paid $2793.00 for our Dawn Cruise

Carolyn

Are you suggesting they "take care" of Garden Villa passengers better than Inside Cabin passengers? All cabin classifications have been affected, not just Garden Villas.

Let's suppose my last cruise aboard the Dream was cancelled last December for repairs and a dry dock, and I got offered the same as compensation. My sailing had the cheapest fares of any NCL ship that month, maybe all winter long. The Dream isn't returning to Houston next winter, maybe no NCL ship will ever return to Houston for a long time to come. That means I would have to choose a different itinerary next winter, which has higher fares. The closest NCL ship departure port would be New Orleans next winter. I seriously doubt I'll find an Oceanview cabin anytime next winter on the Spirit 125% of my fares on the Dream. Possibly an Inside cabin, or maybe not. I haven't checked the Spirit's fares for next winter yet.

But my point is, since I was booked on NCL's cheapest cruise last winter, should NCL compensate me with a free cruise on a more expensive cruise? Likewise, a change in dates affect fare prices. We're comparing apples to oranges if we change the ship, change the itinerary, or change the sailing date. The only way to compare apples to apples is the way NCL is doing it, by refunding you 100% of your fares, plus adding an additional 25% credit for your fares for that specific cancelled cruise.

Are you suggesting they "take care" of Garden Villa passengers better than Inside Cabin passengers? All cabin classifications have been affected, not just Garden Villas.

The only way to compare apples to apples is the way NCL is doing it, by refunding you 100% of your fares, plus adding an additional 25% credit for your fares for that specific cancelled cruise.

I disagree.

First of all NCL is NOT giving a 25% credit for your fares for that canceled cruise, it is on the NEXT cruise, which is substantially more expensive. So that makes the 25% worthless unless you can find a cruise on NCL that is apples to apples.

Good business sense would "take care" of your Garden Villa passengers and work with them.

Okay. Let me clarify it for everyone in $$$ :D

My original cruise in the Garden Villa was $23K

To rebook the same cruise, same itinerary, same number of people is now $36K.

My 25% cruise credit comes to around $5K.

So, this is what it comes down to.

If I rebook at the new rates my total cost is now $31K (which takes into account the $5K credit). Which means I would have to pay NCl an additional $8K

Oh boy. Hope this clarifies for everyone.

Archived