Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

To start off you can't compare a cruise line with an airline from this respect.

I believe NCL is being fair. Time and time again whenever someone is inconvenienced by a cruise line people think they need to be compensated and then if they are, it's not enough.

Bottom line, speaking as an American, we people have become sue happy and greedy.

Just my two cents.

True...but...if NCL compensates, (to passengers who can only cruise during a certain time...and the NCL prices have RISEN above the 25% credit during that time) who's fault is that? NCL's or the passengers?? The passengers booked during a better price..that they could afford.

NCL canceled the cruise...not the passenger! Passengers booked at a price they could afford.

If the passenger canceled during the time period...too bad...lost his $$

NCL canceled their cruises...bottom line! They (the passengers) should pay more for their cruise in the same suite/cabin:confused:

True...but...if NCL compensates, (to passengers who can only cruise during a certain time...and the NCL prices have RISEN above the 25% credit during that time) who's fault is that? NCL's or the passengers?? The passengers booked during a better price..that they could afford.

NCL canceled the cruise...not the passenger! Passengers booked at a price they could afford.

NCL canceled their cruises...bottom line! They (the passengers) should pay more for their cruise in the same suite/cabin:confused:

It's a different cruise, because it's sailing on a different date.

Just like identical cabins exist on the ship, but have different fares because they are located at different locations.

There will be cheaper cruises later this year where the displaced passengers might even find better fares. Try early December for the cheapest fares.

It's a different cruise, because it's sailing on a different date.

Just like identical cabins exist on the ship, but have different fares because they are located at different locations.

There will be cheaper cruises later this year where the displaced passengers might even find better fares. Try early December for the cheapest fares.

What no one seems to be getting is that there are people out there that don't have flexible schedules AT ALL! I booked the 5/26 cruise, because it is honestly the ONLY time I'll be able to cruise for the next 2 years.

What no one seems to be getting is that there are people out there that don't have flexible schedules AT ALL! I booked the 5/26 cruise, because it is honestly the ONLY time I'll be able to cruise for the next 2 years.

Then you aren't going to rebook anyways. Therefore, you're going to get your cash back, and probably lose the 25% credit since you will not be booking a cruise within the next year.

So, the higher fare prices for later this summer will not affect you at all.

When did a 100% guarantee become obsolete?:rolleyes:

Then you aren't going to rebook anyways. Therefore, you're going to get your cash back, and probably lose the 25% credit since you will not be booking a cruise within the next year.

So, the higher fare prices for later this summer will not affect you at all.

When did a 100% guarantee become obsolete?:rolleyes:

Exactly, which is why I opted to go with another cruise line, because why should I lose out on a cruise that I was getting engaged on?

There are other excellent vacation choices besides cruising. Nobody is forcing you to cruise this year or spend more than what you budgeted.

Like I said...if this was my original time frame, and I planned to cruise, why shouldn't I? I'm very happy with the fact that I got to book within the same time frame with a different cruiseline.

Sabrett, you know you are getting engaged??? Does your boyfriend know this? Just teasing. Have fun on the Carnival ship. You will have an awesome time!

Coka

:D I know he bought the ring, but he doesn't know that I know when he's going to pop the question...lol, shhhh!

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm graduating from college and looking for a full-time job, which I hope to start right away. I'm starting graduate school in September, and I just don't have any time.
Unfortunately, you won't find sympathy from people on this board for anything having to do with going to graduate school. I finished my master's degree a few years ago and anytime I mention it (because it has to do with the topic) members here criticize me for having the degree. They're downright nasty. :rolleyes: It's stupid really that other people feel the need to make fun of you because you did something to better your life. Maybe they're jealous? Anyway...I understand the pressures of juggling school, work and a personal life. I was planning my wedding during the last 6 months of graduate school then working and planning the wedding. It's tough. I know what it feels like to need a vacation. If Carnival came through for you, then they deserve your money more than NCL.

Good luck on the engagement. I found out after the fact that the night I got engaged was all messed up because our dinner reservation was canceled by accident. My husband then had to come up with plan B. Plan B was amazing so our complication gave us a much better situation. Maybe you'll get something better too. :)

Unfortunately, you won't find sympathy from people on this board for anything having to do with going to graduate school. I finished my master's degree a few years ago and anytime I mention it (because it has to do with the topic) members here criticize me for having the degree. They're downright nasty. :rolleyes: It's stupid really that other people feel the need to make fun of you because you did something to better your life. Maybe they're jealous? Anyway...I understand the pressures of juggling school, work and a personal life. I was planning my wedding during the last 6 months of graduate school then working and planning the wedding. It's tough. I know what it feels like to need a vacation. If Carnival came through for you, then they deserve your money more than NCL.

Good luck on the engagement. I found out after the fact that the night I got engaged was all messed up because our dinner reservation was canceled by accident. My husband then had to come up with plan B. Plan B was amazing so our complication gave us a much better situation. Maybe you'll get something better too. :)

Thank you! :) I'm just glad someone understands!

Usually when booking a cruise, I look at ports, the ship, etc...but this time, there was only one deciding factor and that was the date of sailing, so I had no choice.

It's nobody's fault.....just basic economics. There is only one peak, and two shoulders to every cruising season, so theoretically, there are twice as many inexpensive cruises as expensive cruises. It's unfortunate that none of the other dates that are about the same price as the cancelled sailings are convenient. This is why NCL provided a 25% bonus to the impacted parties.....to allow them to sail on a more expensive sailing w/o spending more money.

In Carol's case, as well as others, the sailing they are wishing to use to replace the cancelled sailing is more than 25% more.....Unfortunate, yes, but there are other options.....

Exactly, which is why I opted to go with another cruise line, because why should I lose out on a cruise that I was getting engaged on?

Not to rain on your soon-to-be engagement, but this is not specific to NCL. It could (and has) happen just as easily on any cruise line for any of several reasons--including the need for an unexpected dry dock.

I sincerely hope you have a fabulous cruise that goes smoothly, but to not book with NCL because of this is no guarantee that it won't happen elsewhere. I truly do understand your concerns and limitations for cruise dates, so in this case, you obviously had to book another ship. I just hope you don't "never book with NCL again" because they had to cancel these specific cruises for technical reasons.

(And congratulations in advance.)

beachchick

I own a business and I don't think NCL is doing the right thing. Mechanical problems happen, it's a fact of life. But it is our responsability to make sure our customers are impacted as little as possible.

I feel the passengers should be able to rebook a similar cruise for the same price as their original booking, whenever there is availability. The fact of high/low season should not be a factor, the cruise is being cancel by the cruise line, so it's their responsability to try to accomodate the passengers. Very special cruises like New Year could maybe be discarded from the offer as they offer special events that were not in the original cruise. Giving an onboard credit of a couple of hundred dollars per cabin should compensate for the trouble the customers had for rebooking and rearranging their plans. If the passenger does not wish to rebook, a full reimbursment is adequate, no extra money required.

I do not think that NCL has to compensate for air/travel expenses when they were not book by them. When we choose to make our own arrangements, we know we take a risk.

I also think they should have a special team ready to handle the incoming calls. Announcing cancellation and having our customer service people answer "we're not ready to handle your situation" is pretty stupid. Cruiseline have to cancel cruises, it goes with their business. They should clearly have this aspect covered. Statistics say that a satisfied customer has a 85% chance of re-ordering. Statistics show that a customer who has an issue with your company and feels his problems has been handled in a professionnal and adequate manner has a 90% chance of re-ordering.

I own a business and I don't think NCL is doing the right thing. Mechanical problems happen, it's a fact of life. But it is our responsability to make sure our customers are impacted as little as possible.

I feel the passengers should be able to rebook a similar cruise for the same price as their original booking, whenever there is availability. The fact of high/low season should not be a factor, the cruise is being cancel by the cruise line, so it's their responsability to try to accomodate the passengers. Very special cruises like New Year could maybe be discarded from the offer as they offer special events that were not in the original cruise. Giving an onboard credit of a couple of hundred dollars per cabin should compensate for the trouble the customers had for rebooking and rearranging their plans. If the passenger does not wish to rebook, a full reimbursment is adequate, no extra money required.

I do not think that NCL has to compensate for air/travel expenses when they were not book by them. When we choose to make our own arrangements, we know we take a risk.

I also think they should have a special team ready to handle the incoming calls. Announcing cancellation and having our customer service people answer "we're not ready to handle your situation" is pretty stupid. Cruiseline have to cancel cruises, it goes with their business. They should clearly have this aspect covered. Statistics say that a satisfied customer has a 85% chance of re-ordering. Statistics show that a customer who has an issue with your company and feels his problems has been handled in a professionnal and adequate manner has a 90% chance of re-ordering.

This is what were all talking about, GOOD BUSINESS!!!!! Be prepared for this (You had since Feburary) take care of your customers and they will return again and again. And by the way while the ship is in dry dock fix your BED BUG PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!:eek:

They are already doing the right thing. They giving you all your cash back, and adding 25% of that as credit on your next NCL cruise taken within a year. You're getting back $5 for every $4 spent.

As for (1) above, I don' t disagree. You can book next year's cruise now cheaply and get a 25% credit, which should help siginificantly with inflation and upward creeping fares. As for (2) above, the Dawn has been ill for less than a month. The earliest report that the Dawn was slowed with the latest azipod problems was on March 9, from a NCL e-mail. That was three weeks ago, not even a full month, and after the two cancelled cruises final payment date.

As for (3) the earlier you book a cruise to get the cabin of your choice, and to get cheaper fares, the oods are more likely the ship can suffer mechanical problems. It's your choice to book early, and down payments are common with all forms of transportation. Fares can be lower or fares can be higher with late bookings depending on how well the ship is selling. If you want to book a healthy ship, your odds are higher if you wait to just before the cruise to book. NCL has offered an additional $25 credit generously, and as an aid to help steer you to cruises with plenty of open cabins, ie, those with cheaper fares.

It took NCL approximately three weeks to book a drydock within 2 months. They aren't delaying to fix the azipods, 2 to 3 months is a fast response. I'm sorry it takes a dry dock to fix the problem. But it's either cancelling 2 cruises, or limping along until fall, and having passengers on 26 cruises complaining about itnerary changes.

Sounds like you work for NCL.:)

This is what were all talking about, GOOD BUSINESS!!!!! Be prepared for this (You had since Feburary) take care of your customers and they will return again and again. And by the way while the ship is in dry dock fix your BED BUG PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!:eek:

nice...it is a shame the bitterness that can be found on these boards:confused:

And by the way while the ship is in dry dock fix your BED BUG PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!:eek:

Sorry, but reports of bed bugs are so isolated, and often from those that seem to have an ax to grind, that I'm not convince there is a bed bug problem. While there is little doubt that all lines have indeed had instances where bb were present (that's gonna happen when 1000's of people from different places come on board with their luggage) if they weren't being taken care of, just about every review would include reports of bed bugs.

Sounds like you work for NCL.

Aw the old, "if you like NCL you must work for them" complaint. This one isn't any better than if I were to say "if you don't like NCL there's something wrong with you". Both would be really stupid statements.

i think the compensation would be fair if a person could rebook the same class of room(except for Holiday weeks or New Years) for the same price for the same length of cruise. Then the 25% should be a ship board credit...IMO....

Not to rain on your soon-to-be engagement, but this is not specific to NCL. It could (and has) happen just as easily on any cruise line for any of several reasons--including the need for an unexpected dry dock.

I sincerely hope you have a fabulous cruise that goes smoothly, but to not book with NCL because of this is no guarantee that it won't happen elsewhere. I truly do understand your concerns and limitations for cruise dates, so in this case, you obviously had to book another ship. I just hope you don't "never book with NCL again" because they had to cancel these specific cruises for technical reasons.

(And congratulations in advance.)

beachchick

Thank you. But for thr thousandth time, I am not staying away from NCL because they cancelled my cruise. I am staying away because I called them, and I was not bugging them about my refund, or trying to book another cruise, I was just trying to find out about rates and how soon I could rebook. The rep was actually ARGUING with me telling me that I must've misunderstood something because my sailing was not cancelled. When we finally established that it was, he did not even want to help me figure out what to do. I explained to him that I don't cruise often, and I've never had a cruise cancelled on me, so I really don't know what to do, and he said, "Well, you'll have to figure something out." Therefore, I don't know how to make it anymore clear that it is NCL's lack of caring and the way they treated me that will make me stay clear of them in the future. It has nothing to do with them cancelling my cruise.

Archived