Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

When I first read this thread I thought I might be effected. Then I noticed the date of this old thread and realized I was ok!:D Scared me for a while!:eek:

I did the same thing. Couldn't figure out why they said the normal schedule would resume on June 9 instead of June 7.

Glad that was cleared up

Just to give you an idea of the difference ...

I figured it out and for me to rebook the same cruise for July, figuring in the 25% credit, will still cost an additional $3,000. Why should NCL be making even more money off their displaced passengers?

Also, I think the poll question may be confusing to some. The thread is "do you think NCL's compensation is fair? But then the actual poll question is:

"NCL is offering passengers who are booked on those voyages a full refund and 25 percent credit toward another cruise. Carol54 says that amount doesn't cover the rate increase since she booked.

Is this fair?"

Summer cruises are notoriously higher in price...can you wait until the fall??

LMAO...ok, this is an old one.

NCL announced today that, due to problems with the ship's Azipod propulsion system, Norwegian Dawn's May 26 and June 2 cruises have been canceled:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1992

NCL is offering passengers who are booked on those voyages a full refund and 25 percent credit toward another cruise. Carol54 says that amount doesn't cover the rate increase since she booked.

Is this fair? Vote -- and be sure to post your opinion!

Yes it's fair...you pays yer money, you takes yer chances. That's the crap shoot you play when you book discounted cruises. Some people feel entitled to compensation for a pure business decision on NCL's part. Evidentally, NCL felt it in their best interests to cancel. It probably made economic sense to drydock the Dawn when they had too many empty cabins.

People who attempted to take advantage of NCL's perdicament may feel a sense of entitlement, but that's like buying a stock in the market and feeling the price can only go up, or the market's not being fair. Maybe that particular itinerary will be more next time, but there'll be other cruises they can book at a discount. But who knows but what that cruise might be cancelled, as well. Like I said, you pays yer money, you takes yer chances. :D

DT

I posted this on another board, but this is comparing Apples and Bowling Balls.

Flights cancelled to weather are not the airlines problems. If an airline cancels your flight due to their mechanical issues, you will be rebooked at no cost, given hotel vouchers (if overnight stay is required) or food vouchers (if the delay is a few hours).

In this case, NCL cancelled due to a mechanical problem that they knew was coming (see all previous trip reports of slowing engines and changing itineraries) hence, NCL should AT A MINIMUM give the same or similar cabin/cruise to passengers at NO ADDITIONAL COST than already paid by their customers.

why did someone think it was necessary to bring this thread up when it is two years old?/

Nita

They should at a minimum give price protection on a future Dawn cruise with the same itinerary.

We got bumped from a February 2010 cruise on the Star due to NCL chartering the ship out for the Olympics. They gave us prie protection for any available future Star cruise on the same itinerary (we moved t back a year to February 2011), plus I believe $50 or $100 OBC (can't remember which). A25% discount sure would have been nice!

They should at a minimum give price protection on a future Dawn cruise with the same itinerary.

We got bumped from a February 2010 cruise on the Star due to NCL chartering the ship out for the Olympics. They gave us prie protection for any available future Star cruise on the same itinerary (we moved t back a year to February 2011), plus I believe $50 or $100 OBC (can't remember which). A25% discount sure would have been nice!

Sigh, I hate it when OLD threads like this one get bumped!

why did someone think it was necessary to bring this thread up when it is two years old?/

Nita

I'm the guilty gal Nita. people were talking about a certain person's negative thread and the few posts he had made on CC. I clicked on his profile and this was the only other thread he had posted at. I thought though it was current. I realized after posting to him it wasn't.

Which still makes me wonder, he was VERY unhappy 2 years ago, so why did he book another NCL cruise.

The airlines cancelled due to weather - out of their control. This way totally within NCL's control. They knew about the problem back in February but waited until the rates went up to cancel these two cruises. And yes, I do have insurance. But what good is it in this situation. I'm getting a full refund. I just can't rebook anything for the same price. Looks like I'm being taking my $20K plus and rebooking within another cruiseline and then at some future date using the 25% ($6K) to cruise on NCL's dime.

And one more thing. Spoke with NCL - after the cruise credit I would have to pony up an additional $8,000. Just can't justify it. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

nevermind! had posted a comment but what's the point on something that occured 2 years ago.....for real, why bring something back when it's that old ??

Stop whining, Carol54. You are not the only one affected by this....what about the 4000+ other passengers? This may be someone's first cruise, or a vacation that is needed because of some stressful situation in their life. Why not try to book a week or so earlier?

I'm the guilty gal Nita. people were talking about a certain person's negative thread and the few posts he had made on CC. I clicked on his profile and this was the only other thread he had posted at. I thought though it was current. I realized after posting to him it wasn't.

Which still makes me wonder, he was VERY unhappy 2 years ago, so why did he book another NCL cruise.

you are right and I know who he is or was, I guess still is..

Nita

NCL should offer a siular cruise at no additional cost for sure!!!!!

Then offer a perk for your trouble

I totally agree that they should get to go on another cruise for the same price they paid for this cruise and maybe some OBC credit for good measure. They definitely shouldn't have to pay more though!

Archived